October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 55 - AVS Forum
First ... 53  54  55 56  57  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 07:18 PM 09-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

And when I say all, I mean all.

LOL!

Quote:

T minus 28 hours. This time tomorrow, I'll be pre-gaming

I started tonight! Otter Creek Oktoberfest. Yum. Apollo I hope you and wife do the tag team reviews. That will be neat-o!

This year we may have tag team reviews, A-Z movies (Bob), 80's week (GK) & 222 total (Airboss). I need a gimmick. Maybe I'll write every "review" as a haiku.

yankeeman's Avatar yankeeman 09:10 PM 09-29-2011
Wiz, love your Cannibal Holocaust story!!!!

Geez, my wife is so pitiful. I am ready for Saturday morning, ready to sit there by myself with the headphones on. Oh well, i am excited anyway, i cant decide which movie to open up with. Cant wait!!!!
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 12:02 AM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

That Mrs. Kenobi sounds like a cool chick! I guess I can't complain. The Black Widow (her self given poker name) is a good sport too until I inevitably go and f it up. Example: taking her to see Cannibal Holocaust on the big screen years ago. She's a vegetarian and LOVES animals. Whoops! It usually takes a few months for her to build up the tolerance for movies (and me) again.

Oh damn that is some funny shyte! LOL! I think my wife would be seriously pissed if I didn't get up a leave with her on that one. We watched Tucker & Dale tonight, pretty funny but kinda fell flat in the third act. Had some good laughs in it though!

yankeeman - With as often as you use headphones for movies you should invest in something halfway decent like the Denon D2000 or D7000 if you can spring for them. I used the D7000 for music and movies for a long time before I got My Audeze LCD-2... next best thing to speakers.

My sister in-law who is Mormon will be with us this weekend and while I have been able to get her to watch Piranha and The Descent she only made it through half the Exorcist last year and I don't imagine she will give me a second chance to push her limits this weekend. I'll have to watch stuff my wife didn't want to see tomorrow and Sat. Sunday will be a late show since Dexter starts, can't wait! "Do I see sheets of plastic in your future?"
oink's Avatar oink 01:58 AM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Here's my list, no implied order.

Nightmare on Elm Street
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Day of the Dead (original)
Day of the Dead (remake)
Land of the Dead
Zombie
Zombie Lake
City of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead
The Hills Have Eyes (original)
The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
The Hills Have Eyes 2
I Spit on Your Grave (original)
I Spit on Your Grave (remake)
The Last House on the Left (original)
The Last House on the Left (remake)
Bram Stokers Dracula
The Exorcist
Hellraiser
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Halloween
Wolf Creek
The Devil's Rejects
House of 1000 Corpses
Phantasm I-IV
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

larry

Definitely Zombie heavy, and most can be found on BLU-RAY.
Horror on Lossless is the ONLY way to go...
oink's Avatar oink 02:05 AM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

My sister in-law who is Mormon will be with us this weekend and while I have been able to get her to watch Piranha and The Descent she only made it through half the Exorcist last year and I don't imagine she will give me a second chance to push her limits this weekend.

IF you were a brother-in-law who TRULY cared, you would share Saw or High Tension with her...
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 06:36 AM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Definitely Zombie heavy, and most can be found on BLU-RAY.
Horror on Lossless is the ONLY way to go...

I have a few more zombie discs, but they are just too bad to sit through again. Although I just thought of something. I may have the Night of the Living Dead remake, and if I do, I'll probably do a last minute change to the list.

larry
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 08:16 AM 09-30-2011
Quote:

LOL!

I started tonight! Otter Creek Oktoberfest. Yum. Apollo I hope you and wife do the tag team reviews. That will be neat-o!

This year we may have tag team reviews, A-Z movies (Bob), 80's week (GK) & 222 total (Airboss). I need a gimmick. Maybe I'll write every "review" as a haiku.

We watched Bridesmaids last night and of course, there was a certain level of pre-gaming going on there as well. We enjoy having a cocktail or a glass of wine with movies. A fairly regular occurrence in our home. Tomorrow night will be different animal though. We plan to have multiple drinks (likely kiwi mojitos as that is one of the wife's favs). I may opt for long island teas for myself, but we'll have to see.

With regard to reviews, unfortunately full fledged tag-teams are unlikely to happen. Although I do plan to add her thoughts into reviews, she doesn't have as much time as I do when it comes to watching 31 movies in a month. She works in ICU 3pm to 3am and she is also getting her Masters right now, so her time is severely limited. I'm hoping that she can participate in 10-12 movies as that's about what she saw last year. I do believe the idea of tag-team reviews was brought up by someone else on here though and it sounded as if he was able to pull it off. I hope so, as it would be cool to see the differences in opinions.

The gimmicks that are going on this year are sweet, I agree. Doing haikus is an exceptional idea...... or perhaps, at the very least, a little iambic pentameter.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:19 PM 09-30-2011
Wife and I enjoyed Dale and Tucker last night. Yes we cheated.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 01:45 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Wife and I enjoyed Dale and Tucker last night. Yes we cheated.

That was a comedy, it doesn't count.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:53 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:

That was a comedy, it doesn't count.

Like Gremlins?
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 01:55 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Like Gremlins?

No, that's a Christmas movie
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 03:46 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:

With regard to reviews, unfortunately full fledged tag-teams are unlikely to happen. Although I do plan to add her thoughts into reviews, she doesn't have as much time as I do when it comes to watching 31 movies in a month.

Got one on you. I have my own radio show and plan on having my daughter give her review on occassion. She gets 30 seconds. At eight, she's pretty much a free spirit so there's no guessing what will come out of her mouth. You better believe I'll be recording it beforehand.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 04:20 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Got one on you. I have my own radio show and plan on having my daughter give her review on occassion. She gets 30 seconds. At eight, she's pretty much a free spirit so there's no guessing what will come out of her mouth. You better believe I'll be recording it beforehand.

very cool!

Alright folks, I don't think I will be decorating my desk this year. Our company is headed downhill and there's talks of layoffs by 10/18. Since my decorations usually involve advanced ordering, financial investment, and planing/prep I think I will play it safe this year a skip it as much as I hate to do it

The good news is we can all start tonight! So here's a little tune to inspire some October spirit!

wizzack's Avatar wizzack 07:22 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:

Alright folks, I don't think I will be decorating my desk this year.

You convinced me to give HOATC another shot.

OK what's on tap tonight? I might go with A Horrible Way to Die. I think I had that movie mixed up with A Lonely Place to Die (Melissa George).
FendersRule's Avatar FendersRule 07:24 PM 09-30-2011
Man....a coworker just reminded me that tonight is technically October first!

It didn't even occur to me!

I have a gig tonight. When I get home though, I'm gonna get me some horror goin' on.

Prince of Darkness, perhaps.
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 07:29 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Prince of Darkness, perhaps.

Now you're talkin'. Having the s*** scared out of me on the first night would be proper.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 07:55 PM 09-30-2011
Yep, it's on tonight!!! Yes, give HOATC another try it really grew on me but I liked it from the first time.

Ok, my will is already weakening, getting out Halloween decor for my wife and pulled out my box of goodies. I don't know if I can let this stuff sit unused

Airboss's Avatar Airboss 08:41 PM 09-30-2011
Quote:

You convinced me to give HOATC another shot.

OK what's on tap tonight? I might go with A Horrible Way to Die. I think I had that movie mixed up with A Lonely Place to Die (Melissa George).

In 1 hour and 45 minutes (time now 2215) I'll be starting with "Atrocious" and "A Horrible Way to Die".
oink's Avatar oink 12:38 AM 10-01-2011
Quote:

Yep, it's on tonight!!! Yes, give HOATC another try it really grew on me but I liked it from the first time.

Ok, my will is already weakening, getting out Halloween decor for my wife and pulled out my box of goodies. I don't know if I can let this stuff sit unused

It's nice to see my ex-wife finally found her calling....
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 04:54 AM 10-01-2011
After several intermissions, we're finally done with our double feature. On tap was of course, the backbone of this whole challenge

House of 1000 Corpses

after that we watched a blind buy in The Lost.

It was a stone-cold groove fellas. Reviews coming soon.

Good night........................
adidino's Avatar adidino 05:04 AM 10-01-2011
Is it too late to jump into this? I would like to participate if possible. I understand the 1 horror movie per day through Oct. Any other rules I should be aware of?
yankeeman's Avatar yankeeman 05:59 AM 10-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Is it too late to jump into this? I would like to participate if possible. I understand the 1 horror movie per day through Oct. Any other rules I should be aware of?

Hey, jump in, no rules, we are just TRYING to watch at least one movie per day, you can watch 100 movies in October or 5 movies in October, its just about sharing our love for horror this month.

Watch what you can, tell us about what you watch. Have fun!! Oh, and watch out for Zombies.

I will be watching my first movie in about an hour.
adidino's Avatar adidino 06:50 AM 10-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Hey, jump in, no rules, we are just TRYING to watch at least one movie per day, you can watch 100 movies in October or 5 movies in October, its just about sharing our love for horror this month.

Watch what you can, tell us about what you watch. Have fun!! Oh, and watch out for Zombies.

I will be watching my first movie in about an hour.

Cool. Basket Case on Bluray will be my first for tonight. Will report back.
yankeeman's Avatar yankeeman 08:02 AM 10-01-2011
I have started!!!!!

My first movie, watched in the morning, but this one was so mild i didnt even have to use headphones to "protect" my wife.

Watched RETURN OF THE SWAMP THING. Yes, i really watched it. I am in love forever with Heather Locklear, and i will sit thru this movie just to ogle her!!!

Anyway, in reality if you take it for what it is, a fun campy tongue-in-cheek movie, its not bad. Just dont try to take it seriously. Plenty of monsters, crazy people, and lots of screentime for Heather Locklear.

I will rate on a 5-star basis this year, 5 being best, 1 being worse. This one is hard to rate since i love Heather and will rate it higher than it deserves due to the "Heather factor", so here we go:

2011 October Ratings - 5 Star Scale
01- Return of the Swamp Thing - 2.5
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 12:20 PM 10-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's nice to see my ex-wife finally found her calling....

Bwahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Cool. Basket Case on Bluray will be my first for tonight. Will report back.

Ooh that's a must have. Good start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I have started!!!!!

Watched RETURN OF THE SWAMP THING. Yes, i really watched it. I am in love forever with Heather Locklear, and i will sit thru this movie just to ogle her!!!

You can't beat HL running around in a nightgown. She's so cute!

Guys I'm so freakin' lame. Started Dream House at 12:15 and fell asleep. It was a rough week! Tonight will more than make up for it though.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:05 PM 10-01-2011
First official watch was "Night of the Creeps." Crackle.com has it.
Malcolm_B's Avatar Malcolm_B 01:46 PM 10-01-2011
Watched Savage this morning to kick off my October fun. Not the worst Bigfoot movie, but certainly wasn't Abominable, though.
oink's Avatar oink 01:51 PM 10-01-2011
Quote:

Guys I'm so freakin' lame. Started Dream House at 12:15 and fell asleep. It was a rough week! Tonight will more than make up for it though.

You're right....it was lame.

Full disclosure: I didn't even make it to midnight.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 03:58 PM 10-01-2011
FAIL!

I watched The Human Centipede last night, streaming on NF. Had never seen it before... not a bad flick but less violent than I thought it would be... seems like more of a "how gross can we make this" rather than gorno or horror. I have a hard time feeling sorry for victims that stupid but all in all worth watching. I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. And yes I was up until 2am to finish it, so put that in your pipe and smoke it

I've officially lasted less than 24 hours on my commitment not to decorate my desk for halloween. This morning I took my daughter to soccer practice then went to a junk yard to pull the hood, quarter panels, and bumper off a crunched car. Best part it was all free... this year is guaranteed to be one of the most original cubical decorations y'all have seen!
oink's Avatar oink 04:32 PM 10-01-2011
Quote:

I've officially lasted less than 24 hours on my commitment not to decorate my desk for halloween. This morning I took my daughter to soccer practice then went to a junk yard to pull the hood, quarter panels, and bumper off a crunched car. Best part it was all free... this year is guaranteed to be one of the most original cubical decorations y'all have seen!

OK, you got me...I'm intrigued.

Ya better darn well better post some pics again when it's done.
First ... 53  54  55 56  57  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop