October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 553 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7124Likes

post #16561 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I just finished The Final Girls. That one is a fun watch. I can't really say too much about it without giving anything away. 4 Furbys.
I'll check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16562 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked: 9042
Watched They Found Hell last night. Wasn't bad. Throw in Dante's Inferno, Some Silent Hill, a dash of Event Horizon and sprinkle with Greek mythology. Blend together. And you have They Found Hell.

post #16563 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 401
17. Unfriended (FTV)
A girl driven to suicide by cyberbullying returns to exact her revenge using the very medium that led to her demise. The entire movie (if you can call it a movie) takes place on a computer screen as the survivors spend 80 minutes on a Skype conversation wondering what's happening to them as they are pitted against each other and picked off one by one. Can you tell a story entirely through screen captures of social media interactions? You can, but that doesn't mean you should, or that it's any good. I give this some points for trying something different on a low budget, but I think they needed a better script, and at least a few good scares.

2.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2015 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. The Baby's Room (LA HABITACIÓN DEL NIÑO) (FTV)
2. Our Mother's House (FTV)
3. Poltergeist (2015, in 3D) (FTV)
4. Dark Was the Night (FTV)
5. To Let (Para Entrar a Vivir)(FTV)
6. Hardware
7. What Have You Done To Solange? (FTV)
8. Creep (FTV)
9. We Are Still Here (FTV)
10. Insidious Chapter 3(FTV)
11. Rammbock: Berlin Undead (FTV)
12. The Children (FTV)
13. Sheitan (FTV)
14. Rabies (FTV)
15. Crimson Peak (FTV)
16. The Revenant (2009)
17. Unfriended (FTV)

ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

Last edited by Bob McLaughlin; 10-19-2015 at 07:53 PM.
post #16564 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
17. Unfriended (2009)
I've been working through that one a little at a time. I prefer watching it on my computer screen because I want to see everything that's shown on their screens up close. It makes me feel as if I'm part of the movie too.
post #16565 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 2273
Quote:
I just finished The Final Girls. That one is a fun watch. I can't really say too much about it without giving anything away. 4 Furbys.
Agree.
post #16566 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Watched They Found Hell last night. Wasn't bad. Throw in Dante's Inferno, Some Silent Hill, a dash of Event Horizon and sprinkle with Greek mythology. Blend together. And you have They Found Hell.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5113926/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A TV Movie?
Geez, you're in sad shape...

Spoiler!
post #16567 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

2015 Horror Marathon

Spoiler!

48. The Green Inferno. FTV. Eli Roth continues to be interesting and I am hopeful he will take it to 11 one day but this isn't it. What it is, however, is a brutal attack on the current fad of hashtag activists and SJWs of the world. Don't get me wrong there's a place for activists and SJWs that put their money where their mouth is, as is the case in this film, but it was still great to see the hipsters get devoured with a dose of the "real world." Still, a solid flick with razor sharp wit aimed at those unable to take it.

49. The Final Girls. FTV. A current critical darling out in the scene this movie is fun and has some great ideas. It's a fresh take on the slasher movie that at times is like Pleasantville and Back to the Future. I can see some here really liking it. Personally I think it would have been better as an R rated feature.
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #16568 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5113926/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A TV Movie?
Geez, you're in sad shape...

Spoiler!
Lol. You know I'm a sucker for those Syfy movies.

post #16569 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 138
My almost 7-year old asked to see Goosebumps. I guess I will make it an honorary entry...

16. Goosebumps FTV
Kid moves to new neighborhood where he meets girl with strange, overprotective father who keeps her locked up. Boy breaks in after calling the cops (which results in a mildly amusing "audiophile" joke that forum members should appreciate), opens up one of the Goosebump manuscripts which unleashes the abominable snowman. After they catch him and put him back in the book it turns out they have released a more formidable villain who releases all the other RL Stein monsters from the books.

It was fun, I imagine the end was kind of like Cabin in the Woods monster release for my son. Not really scary even for the 7 year old. For those of us looking for something to do with the kids you could do worse.
ADU, tenthplanet and GoCaboNow like this.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #16570 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
My almost 7-year old asked to see Goosebumps. I guess I will make it an honorary entry...

16. Goosebumps FTV
Kid moves to new neighborhood where he meets girl with strange, overprotective father who keeps her locked up. Boy breaks in after calling the cops (which results in a mildly amusing "audiophile" joke that forum members should appreciate), opens up one of the Goosebump manuscripts which unleashes the abominable snowman. After they catch him and put him back in the book it turns out they have released a more formidable villain who releases all the other RL Stein monsters from the books.

It was fun, I imagine the end was kind of like Cabin in the Woods monster release for my son. Not really scary even for the 7 year old. For those of us looking for something to do with the kids you could do worse.
Totally counts as an entry BUT I think Goosebumps in general watered down a lot of fans and made it ok for the PG13 crap we get stuck with so much of.
post #16571 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Totally counts as an entry BUT I think Goosebumps in general watered down a lot of fans and made it ok for the PG13 crap we get stuck with so much of.
I'm sure it has. I don't really have much experience with the books myself, son has started bringing them home from school but we often don't have time to read the big books together. Gal I'm seeing said the books scared the crap out of her. I'm pretty sure these books weren't even things when I was in school.

post #16572 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 81
10/15
Private Number - A writer and his wife start receiving phone calls in the middle of the night. The person on the other line simply says "Remember Me?". The movie focuses on the main character trying to figure out who is calling while still trying to keep his sanity. This one was fairly predictable but wasn't too bad overall.

10/16
The Collector - A handyman hard up for money breaks into his wealthy client's home while they are supposed to be on vacation. Turns out someone else had plans for the family and the handyman made a big mistake choosing what house he broke into. I agree with other viewers that there are some similarities here with the Saw series. I liked this one. The house feels claustrophobic and the cat and mouse game keeps the tension up the whole movie. A good recommendation.

The Collection - The follow up to The Collector. More of the same but this time in a big abandoned building. This one didn't have the same tension; I think it's because there was a small group with weapons pitted against the baddie this time rather than just a single guy. The opening of the film probably has one of the highest body counts and most blood spilled in a single scene in any movie I've seen. A good follow up but I like the first entry better.

10/17
Crimson Peak - Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I was quite disappointed with this one.

Green Inferno
- A group of activists go into the jungle on a mission to stop the destruction of land occupied by a native tribe. Unfortunately for them, the tribe they are trying to defend turn out to be cannibals. A pretty decent cannibal movie. There were some nice gory shots as expected. One thing about this one though, I was actually rooting for the cannibals as the activists weren't really likable. Nothing ground breaking here and no big twist in the story line; just a straight cannibalistic gore flick which is what I expected going in.

Charlie's Farm - A small group is planning a vacation and the guys decide they want to go camping at a creepy place they heard of called Charlie's Farm. A straightforward campy slasher with a killer that looks like Bigfoot. This was a fun little movie although I couldn't tell if the cheesiness was intentional or not. The last 20 minutes or so were disappointing though because it was all shot in a dark barn and it was hard to see anything going on.
post #16573 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Lol. You know I'm a sucker for those Syfy movies.
GOOD LORD, LORD WABO!!

Spoiler!
post #16574 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
I may have been a little harsh, but yes it basically plays the same script as the original. It was very flat though in it's delivery. I would say if you really want to see it go ahead and check it out. It's certainly not the worst movie I've seen.
It's darker in tone than the original, not as funny, a bit more like a real horror movie.
I kind of like it. The original is kind of dated.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
post #16575 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
GOOD LORD, LORD WABO!!

Spoiler!
I'm sorry, I was eating bacon. Did you say something?

post #16576 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Green Inferno
Quote:
- A group of activists go into the jungle on a mission to stop the destruction of land occupied by a native tribe. Unfortunately for them, the tribe they are trying to defend turn out to be cannibals. A pretty decent cannibal movie. There were some nice gory shots as expected. One thing about this one though, I was actually rooting for the cannibals as the activists weren't really likable. Nothing ground breaking here and no big twist in the story line; just a straight cannibalistic gore flick which is what I expected going in.

Though I'm weary of the graphic gore this is sure to have, the trailers for Eli Roth's new film, I have to admit, intrigued me; from the reviews I've read, the film kind of fell flat though, and the second half when the cannibalism begins is really all it's worth...I'll rent it when it comes out. To me, this off-kilter kid's best film was Cabin Fever...

What's up with the "ant" sequence in that? When the guy is covered in the ants...I can't seem to find any online info about that scene...looks pretty crazy, and I hate bugs...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
post #16577 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It's darker in tone than the original, not as funny, a bit more like a real horror movie.
I kind of like it. The original is kind of dated.

I do agree the film looks dated (nostalgic to me) to some folks but the story telling is what is super important. I will watch the new one just to see what is up but MGm has been striking out (with me at least) in the remake dept. so far. But I heard the sound was really good in the new poltergeist.
post #16578 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 41
OK let's sere if I can compile a list of what I have watched to date

1. Friday the 13th (1980)
2. Friday the 13th: Part 2 (1981)
3. Friday the 13th: Part 3 (1982)
4. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
5. Friday the 13th (2009) -My favorite because the guy who plays Jason is Derek Mears, he is a stunt man normally but he is awesome, I have followed his career for a while, not super famous, just awesome.
6-8. American Horror Story: Freak Show I -I took three days to watch through this, well worth it.
9. Among Friends (2012) and Curse of Chucky (2014) -Among Friends was terrible so I turned it off and watched a Chucky movie instead (why not, Chucky is always terribly awesome).
10. Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead (2014) -A great sequel to one of my favorite movies (the first was out of control and this just carried that through. Great movie.
11.Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013) -This was like a weird spin off. I had watched part of it before decided why not watch it start to finish. It was OK, obviously not as quality as the originals.
12. Hellraiser (1987) -The original, how could it be bad right?
13. Cooties (2014) - [FTV] Great movie! Comedy + horror = win. If you haven't watched this I highly recommend it!
14. Let The Right One In (2008) - This is the Sweedish (?) original version of this film. It is great and I really think some of the awkwardness of this movie is really well done to convey some strange points and also bring sort of some vampire questions answer (i.e. what happens when the vampire is a child and falls in love with another child but never turns his/her lover, that sounds really wrong but I promise it isn't lol, watch the movie if you haven't, it is on Starz Play right now and I am pretty sure Netflix as well).
15. Let Me In (2010) - This of course is the American version of the film above. Not as good IMHO but still worth a watch if for nothing other than to compare the two films.
16. Sleepaway Camp (1983) - I watched this and the second one earlier in my viewing (like soon after American Horror Story) but forgot so they go here now lol. A classic and strange set of movies.
17. Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers (1988) - As I said above, classic but strange. I need to find copies of the third one and then the 2008 reboot lol.
18. Thirst (2009) - Another vampire movie, this time Korean origin. Also really well done, definitely a love story with horror mixed in due to the vampires heh. I have really been on a Korean movie kick the last few months (this month being a slight exception due to watching all of this horror) and I think this is one of my favorites.

19 and beyond!: The next two Sleepaway Camps, the Halloween movies, of course on Halloween I will watch Ash vs. Evil Dead which premieres on that day, and then there are quite a few that are going to be first time viewings for the last half of the month. Most of which were found in this thread (i.e. Oink, the French film mentioned a few posts back Sheitan, Dark Was The Night, The Battery (after that theme song!), The Final Girls (looks great and currently on Vudu to rent while in the theaters), etc. So much more to come!
oink, ApolloCreed, Sonyboy and 2 others like this.
post #16579 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

I watched TWD episode and it was pretty good!

AMC is doing a Michael Myers Marathon tomorrow all day! Boo they omit H3 and H2O! But hey fun starts at 8am cst!
ApolloCreed and Sonyboy like this.

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-18-2015 at 07:20 PM.
post #16580 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

Though I'm weary of the graphic gore this is sure to have, the trailers for Eli Roth's new film, I have to admit, intrigued me; from the reviews I've read, the film kind of fell flat though, and the second half when the cannibalism begins is really all it's worth...I'll rent it when it comes out. To me, this off-kilter kid's best film was Cabin Fever...

What's up with the "ant" sequence in that? When the guy is covered in the ants...I can't seem to find any online info about that scene...looks pretty crazy, and I hate bugs...
That ant scene isn't too bad. They tie him up and cover him in some green/grey goop that apparently attracts ants. It shows him later bit up pretty bad but it's not the ants that actually kill him.
post #16581 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I watched TWD episode and it was pretty good!

AMC is doing a Michael Myers Marathon tomorrow all day! Boo they omit H3 and H2O! But hey fun starts at 8am cst!
I thought TWD was pretty darn good too.

AMC is showing H3 on Wednesday the 28th. I don't know why they don't have it in the marathon with the others. Cinemax is showing Halloween H20 a bunch of times this month.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #16582 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AMC is showing H3 on Wednesday the 28th. I don't know why they don't have it in the marathon with the others. Cinemax is showing Halloween H20 a bunch of times this month.

Cool! Yeah it was kinda weird how they didn't have H3 in the line up!
post #16583 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

When A Stranger Calls (2006) - This one was OK for a PG-13 re-make. Not much action until the end. 2-1/2 canaries (the cat ate half of one).
post #16584 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
10/15

10/16
The Collector - A handyman hard up for money breaks into his wealthy client's home while they are supposed to be on vacation. Turns out someone else had plans for the family and the handyman made a big mistake choosing what house he broke into. I agree with other viewers that there are some similarities here with the Saw series. I liked this one. The house feels claustrophobic and the cat and mouse game keeps the tension up the whole movie. A good recommendation.

Funny you should mention Saw, The Collector was originally going to be a Saw prequel at first.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
post #16585 of 21579 Old 10-18-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I was eating bacon. Did you say something?
Yeah...I hope you choke on it, you unholy cephalopod.
post #16586 of 21579 Old 10-19-2015, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Cool! Yeah it was kinda weird how they didn't have H3 in the line up!
Being how H3 doesn't have anything to do with Michael Myers might be why. H3 sort of does stand on it's own, it has it's fans, me included. Don't forget that jingle in it "...days to Halloween, Halloween,Halloween....Silver Shamrock" You just can't that song out of your head.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #16587 of 21579 Old 10-19-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
LO friggin' L...

So I'm hearing; I haven't had a chance to pick this up yet...I refuse to give Target 28 bucks for the Steelbook, or even 25 for the regular slipcase edition....

Is the Dolby TrueHD core mix just as aggressive as the Atmos track?
That would be a fun comparison but I don't have Atmos yet to check.

I don't think I would have normally purchased this but my wife invited a bunch of people over so in these days without rental stores we always buy. My Target had the steelbook for $25 and adds to the Atmos collection for when I am up and running.
Quote:
Odd fact, Alexander Ludwig was in this and Final Girl.

Quote:
Excellent, just keeping these on the DVR until I can get to them. Unfortunately I made the mistake of starting the Game of Thrones series. That show plays more like a horror movie than many horror movies I see, but has cut into a lot of my horror time.
Ken.F likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #16588 of 21579 Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Being how H3 doesn't have anything to do with Michael Myers might be why. H3 sort of does stand on it's own, it has it's fans, me included. Don't forget that jingle in it "...days to Halloween, Halloween,Halloween....Silver Shamrock" You just can't that song out of your head.
Bob McLaughlin and The Mice like this.
post #16589 of 21579 Old 10-19-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

17. The Collector (FTV)
I have passed on this one many times but saw it mentioned here and gave it a shot last night. I liked it. Besides Saw, the mousetrap elements reminded me a bit of Cube. Aside from the suspension of disbelief on how long it would take to set up someone's house like the collector does, it was a good payoff. And dammit if there wasn't a tooth extraction.

Considering the sequel now.

post #16590 of 21579 Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Guiizzz I'm ready to binge-watch some Horror flicks!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page