October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 562 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6576Likes

Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Thanks! One more for now...

13. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005)

Tim Burton and the folks at Laika Studios bring an entertaining cast of Charles Addams-ish characters to life in this gothicy stop-motion musical based on an old wives' tale about a betrothal gone horribly wrong.

This, and Sleepy Hollow (which also features Mr. Lee in a brief cameo), and Beetlejuice are probably my three favorite Burton flicks to date. Unfortunately a problem with the Blu-ray encode caused some intermittent flash frames when down-converting this title to my old SD CRT TV, spoiling a little of the fun.

Lee does the voice of the old vicar, "Pastor Galswells" (as if you couldn't tell). And several of the Burton regulars, namely Depp, Bonham Carter, and Elfman, are also on board as voices of the other characters, along with Emily Watson and veteran performers Joanna Lumley, Tracy Ullman, Al Finney and Michael Gough. Elfman also provides the lively score and tunes.

Laika is most impressive with what they do. I'm super anxious for their next one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2015, 07:57 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 354
A couple of well-known classics I decided to revisit last night...

14. Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)

Since I didn't have the 1959 Hammer version with Mr. Lee handy, I decided to whip out an earlier version of this instead, featuring the inimitable Mr. Basil Rathbone in the title role. If there's a definitive version of this Conan Doyle classic on film, this is probably it.

The story takes place where else but on the moors of England (in Devonshire and Dartmoor), where a nobleman is found dead of a heart attack apparently brought on by the legendary beast from hell which has haunted the area around Baskerville Hall since the days of Hugo Baskerville's unnatural demise a few hundred years before.

This prompts a visit to Baker St. by one of the Baskerville's concerned neighbors to enlist the aid of Britain's greatest (and most flamboyant) private detective and his able assistant, friend, and doctor, John Watson. And from there, the game of sniffing out the solution to the horrific hound and Baskerville curse is afoot!

The Mice likes this.

ADU
Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

15. Dracula (1931)

Another horror classic from the early 30's, from Universal Pictures, starring the Transylvanian-born actor Mr. Bela Lugosi as the blood-obsessed count.

This is not my favorite version of Stoker's character or novel. But if you're lookin for somethin to set an eerie Halloween-ie type mood, this will certainly get the job done. I watched the 1999 version with the Philip Glass score, which is still a bit slow-moving for my taste, but good.

The Mice likes this.

ADU
Old 10-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

63. The Fly. Everybody makes a big deal about Cronenberg but this is really Jeff Goldblum on his A game. A brilliant scientist develops teleportation and while testing his tech out accidentally gets himself recombined with a housefly. The results are terrifying and very satisfying to watch. Goldblum's character begins a transformation into a real monster and he plays it so well. There are some really great effects to help drive home what's happening. I should mention this movie is pretty gross and kind of dirty all over and it's a damn shame what they did to that monkey.

This really was a great movie, I think I have seen it twice. However, the transformation that takes place was gruesome enough to me that I am on the fence as to if I would want to ever see it again! I never did see the original version from the 1950's, maybe I could try that.

Tonight's movie on my end was The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and wow wee, what a great movie! Even if it strays a lot from what actually happened, I felt this movie was outstanding and it definitely exceeded my expectations. There were a couple of scenes that kind of freaked me out, but I just thought the whole courtroom sequences and the events that happened before the trial were really well integrated. It did move along a touch slow for my liking but the whole thing kept me fully interested and invested from start to finish. For whatever reason, I found it to be a bit touching towards the end as well. I give this one 4.5 out of 5. This is quite significant because very, very few movies ever score higher than a 4 from me.

Three more movies to go in my marathon unless I throw another movie into the mix, next up is probably going to be Insidious - Chapter 2. The original movie was probably my favorite horror movie during last year's marathon!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:42 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Last one for me tonight...

16: The Day of the Triffids (2009) - FTV

No zoms, vamps, or werebeasts taking over the world here... just some extremely ravenous veggies with an appetite for human flesh, that take advantage of a natural disaster to begin chowing down on the human race.

This is a pretty well done made-for-TV update of the original 1962 sci-fi classic, with some nice FX and acting by the mostly British cast. Two green tentacles pretty high up.
GoCaboNow likes this.

ADU
Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
15. Dracula (1931)

Another horror classic from the early 30's, from Universal Pictures, starring the Transylvanian-born actor Mr. Bela Lugosi as the blood-obsessed count.

This is not my favorite version of Stoker's character or novel. But if you're lookin for somethin to set an eerie Halloween-ie type mood, this will certainly get the job done. I watched the 1999 version with the Philip Glass score, which is still a bit slow-moving for my taste, but good.

Lugosi is the definitive Dracula, when he speaks you can sense atmosphere building in the room.
ADU likes this.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
Old 10-25-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
15. Dracula (1931)
I started watching that one today yesterday. I stopped watching because I had to make dinner, then I got distracted by football.

Last edited by Ken.F; 10-25-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
This really was a great movie, I think I have seen it twice. However, the transformation that takes place was gruesome enough to me that I am on the fence as to if I would want to ever see it again! I never did see the original version from the 1950's, maybe I could try that.

Tonight's movie on my end was The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and wow wee, what a great movie! Even if it strays a lot from what actually happened, I felt this movie was outstanding and it definitely exceeded my expectations. There were a couple of scenes that kind of freaked me out, but I just thought the whole courtroom sequences and the events that happened before the trial were really well integrated. It did move along a touch slow for my liking but the whole thing kept me fully interested and invested from start to finish. For whatever reason, I found it to be a bit touching towards the end as well. I give this one 4.5 out of 5. This is quite significant because very, very few movies ever score higher than a 4 from me.

Three more movies to go in my marathon unless I throw another movie into the mix, next up is probably going to be Insidious - Chapter 2. The original movie was probably my favorite horror movie during last year's marathon!

While I wouldn't call The Exorcism of Emily Rose "outstanding," LOL, I enjoyed it and I'm glad you did too. I own the DVD.

As for The Fly -- this film always disturbed me, even growing up with it, and it gets under my skin moreso than any other horror flick does now in my "grown up" years. I don't know what it is...Goldblum's hideous transformation, the slime shooting out of his fingernails, the grotesque swelling of his head and, most notably, the vomit drop sequences in which he takes off Stathis' hand and foot at the end...I CANNOT get those horrendous images out of my mind. The film is too much for me, and there's no way I'd buy it; even moreso for the sequel...when Brundle's son (Eric Stoltz) sees his beloved dog turned into a creature of science, it can almost make me cry being an animal lover.

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
Old 10-25-2015, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
While I wouldn't call The Exorcism of Emily Rose "outstanding," LOL, I enjoyed it and I'm glad you did too. I own the DVD.

As for The Fly -- this film always disturbed me, even growing up with it, and it gets under my skin moreso than any other horror flick does now in my "grown up" years. I don't know what it is...Goldblum's hideous transformation, the slime shooting out of his fingernails, the grotesque swelling of his head and, most notably, the vomit drop sequences in which he takes off Stathis' hand and foot at the end...I CANNOT get those horrendous images out of my mind. The film is too much for me, and there's no way I'd buy it; even moreso for the sequel...when Brundle's son (Eric Stoltz) sees his beloved dog turned into a creature of science, it can almost make me cry being an animal lover.

I really do think The Exorcism of Emily Rose is outstanding, but it's cool, the main thing is that it was good! I actually bought it a little over a year ago as a "blind buy" on Blu-ray for $10 since I'd heard good things about it from trusted sources. I'm glad I did!

Agreed about The Fly. I never did see The Fly 2 in any shape or form, and I think part of me would like to finally watch it, but I could probably go either way!
Old 10-25-2015, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Two more Lee films completed. Plus a couple of classics, and a FTV of a pretty good SF remake...

12. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
The infamous triple nipple.
ADU likes this.

XBox: King Nuthin
Old 10-25-2015, 11:09 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
62. Swamp Thing. Wes Craven wrote and directed this early entry into the DC Cinematic Universe which is about a man that gets mixed with plants to become Swamp Thing and then fight off bad guys. The whole movie plays out like an A-Team episode with lots of gunfire and a damsel in distress then it turns into a weird creature feature with mutants all over. It's on par with the recent cape movies in nearly every way except effects (though the effects are pretty good) and nudity (which Marvel hasn't invented yet.)
While we're on the subject of angry vegetables, I should perhaps mention that Marvel's Man-Thing is probably also worth a look (if you haven't already seen it). Hardcore fans of the comic may sneer at some of it, but it had some pretty nice atmosphere, FX, and performances by the B-list cast imo (and I did read some of the comics when I was a kid). PQ was also pretty good as I recall, and would probably look quite nice on your plasma, or upscaled to 4k.

darthrsg likes this.

ADU
Old 10-25-2015, 11:25 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anime Vampire Double Feature

64. Vampire Hunter D. This 1985 movie packs a punch when it comes to vampires, if you've never seen anime or don't get it this is a great one to try and fix that with. Once you see this you will spend the rest of your life looking for anime that equals it. Eyeball impalement, sentient limbs, horse mechs, nudity, and blood. I'd love to see a live action version.

65. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. This story ups all the quality and simply swims in atmosphere and style. Playing with a gothic sci fi bend we get another adventure from D and his sentient hand. Really beautiful animation and the relative ease of locating a copy make it a must see. Once you get through D's world Blade and the Underworld movies look like amateur hour rip offs.
You're hitting my sweet spot this week, because these are also two of my favorite anime titles (along with Ninja Scroll and New Fist of the Northstar, which are also pretty good watchs around this time). The graphics and animation are definitely a bit better on the 2nd film (Bloodlust), but they both (still) pack a pretty good punch, and are worth a look either together or separately imo. Wish I owned both (and the Man-Thing) on BD.

Quote:
Laika is most impressive with what they do. I'm super anxious for their next one.
I've been a little lax about viewing their other films, but agree they do some very high quality work that's worth checking out.

ADU
Old 10-25-2015, 11:27 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
The infamous triple nipple.
Hence "titular role".

Quote:
Wow...I would have loved to have been invited to that "Bond threesome" with those two sexy babes!
CoreyM likes this.

ADU
Old 10-26-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Why would you have "corrected" it to read "upscales Blu-rays"? The machine upconverts DVDs perfectly, which is what I was trying to convey.
Ha, and I was trying to convey that I will be more interested in Oppo 4k unit to upconvert blurays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Yesterday watched but forgot to post. Watched THE WOMAN. Good little movie. Well acted, well written. A man captures a woman who has obviously been living and raised in the wilderness. He turns out to be a lot more than you think at first. Well written as i said, as even when nothing is going on, just the talking among the members of the family has an eiree tone about it, something is just a little off from normal people. I enjoyed it. Some good gore, not a ton, but good when they used it.
Quote:
2015 Horror Marathon

Spoiler!

Anime Vampire Double Feature

64. Vampire Hunter D. This 1985 movie packs a punch when it comes to vampires, if you've never seen anime or don't get it this is a great one to try and fix that with. Once you see this you will spend the rest of your life looking for anime that equals it. Eyeball impalement, sentient limbs, horse mechs, nudity, and blood. I'd love to see a live action version.

65. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. This story ups all the quality and simply swims in atmosphere and style. Playing with a gothic sci fi bend we get another adventure from D and his sentient hand. Really beautiful animation and the relative ease of locating a copy make it a must see. Once you get through D's world Blade and the Underworld movies look like amateur hour rip offs.
Yes, a live action would be great if done without neutering too much.
Quote:
Last one for me tonight...

16: The Day of the Triffids (2009) - FTV
One of my favorites as a kid!!!

22-It Follows 2014 (FTV) This was decent enough. I liked the idea. The execution and over all story was a little bland though as much more could have been done here. 3 Paranoid Zombies

23-ABC's of Death 2012 (FTV) Yeah, this got Oinked. 2 Oinks and Heave

24-Let us Prey 2014 (2014) This was pretty good. A bit of a British slower burn to it but has an excellent cast. The awesome Liam Cunningham from Game of Thrones and the very smart looking Pollyana McIntosh are excellent in this. Who would have thought The Woman could clean up so well? Another actor was channeling a Willem Defoe thing, so that was kind of fun. 3.5 Naughty Lists

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 10-26-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
You guys are rolling out the hits and I like what I see!

This past weekend I caught a nasty cold/allergy and I hope I am on the downward trend of this because I am feeling a little better now. I kinda went on a Tobe Hooper double feature and I didn't plan for it, but it was a pretty cool ride this weekend.

18. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, BD. It has been a long while since I have seen this flick and a first on BD. This movie's presentation was actually pretty good considering how old this movie is. This movie doesn't let any true horror fan down with enough, scares, gore and creepiness to go around. This is the original and the best out of all the Chainsaws made imo. 5 Chainsaw ripping dudes!

19. Poltergeist, BD This is probably one of my top five horror movies that I love to watch a few times a year! I really relate to this film because I grew up in a neighborhood in CA just like the family in Poltergeist. I was about the boys age (and his room was adorned in things I had.) in the film when I saw Poltergeist theatrically and this movie still gives me the creeps today! The story telling is the real important thing here and Tobe's direction keep the pacing going until the finale. I judge a lot of haunted house movies next to Poltergeist, it might not be fair, but that is what filmmakers/writers should achieve when making a haunted house story. 5 Menacing Killer Clown Toys!

20, Poltergeist II: The Other Side, HD DVR. When I saw this back in '86 (IIRC), I really wanted this to be good as the first. But it isn't as good but today it has some stand out things/performances that are worth watching. The Freelings are homeless and living with the Grandmother. Of course the pesky Poltergeist wants Carol Ann again and achieves this through a scary guy that is the actual 'face' of the poltergeist. The story isn't as good as the first but the performances carry this movie well for what it is. First off the Scary old guy that follows the family around and wanting in the home is pretty damn creepy. Next the Native American, Taylor helps the family, like Tangina did before in the first movie. His performance is also great in this film. Everyone else is pretty much a secondary character because they pretty much reprise their role from the first film. Not a bad thing but nothing different. The other thing is HR Giger 'creature' in this movie! That thing is just horrendous and makes the evil guy look tame! HR also did the ending creature which you don't get to see a lot of but it is there! 3 Tequila Worms!!

I also watched 30 Days of Night on BD and man the presentation was pretty damn cool! Bass was thumbing and the surrounds were alive! Not bad for a $5 horror movie on BD!
darthrsg, GoCaboNow and The Mice like this.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
I really do think The Exorcism of Emily Rose is outstanding, but it's cool, the main thing is that it was good! I actually bought it a little over a year ago as a "blind buy" on Blu-ray for $10 since I'd heard good things about it from trusted sources. I'm glad I did!

Agreed about The Fly. I never did see The Fly 2 in any shape or form, and I think part of me would like to finally watch it, but I could probably go either way!

The premise of The Fly 2 was that Geena Davis' and Goldblum's baby is carrying the same fly genes, and he ends up growing up quite normal as played by Eric Stoltz...however, the corporation that has taken over studies of Brundle's teleporter technology is conducting all kinds of experiments now, including one on Stoltz's character's dog, which yields pretty disturbing images if you're an avid animal lover, as I am. I won't watch that film ever again.

There was absolutely no need, to be honest, to make a sequel.

Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2-CHANNEL:
Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Ha, and I was trying to convey that I will be more interested in Oppo 4k unit to upconvert blurays.

Had no clue as to the fact that this is what you were getting at.

2-CHANNEL:
Old 10-26-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
You guys are rolling out the hits and I like what I see!

This past weekend I caught a nasty cold/allergy and I hope I am on the downward trend of this because I am feeling a little better now. I kinda went on a Tobe Hooper double feature and I didn't plan for it, but it was a pretty cool ride this weekend.[/quote]

Hope you are feeling better; nothing worse than a pre-winter cold...

Did you read all the information I provided for you regarding your questions about the Halloween box set?

Quote:
18. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, BD
Quote:
. It has been a long while since I have seen this flick and a first on BD. This movie's presentation was actually pretty good considering how old this movie is. This movie doesn't let any true horror fan down with enough, scares, gore and creepiness to go around. This is the original and the best out of all the Chainsaws made imo. 5 Chainsaw ripping dudes!
I actually bought the original Texas Chainsaw on DVD back when the remake hit theaters and Pioneer released it as a Special Edition with, supposedly, completely restored elements as supervised by Hooper; aside from the packaging, this version of the film never impressed me. It still looks like a VHS tape in most places and the audio, while claiming to be a reworked stereo mix, sounds awful and flat, as if coming out of TV speakers:

Quote:
19. Poltergeist, BD
Quote:
This is probably one of my top five horror movies that I love to watch a few times a year! I really relate to this film because I grew up in a neighborhood in CA just like the family in Poltergeist. I was about the boys age (and his room was adorned in things I had.) in the film when I saw Poltergeist theatrically and this movie still gives me the creeps today! The story telling is the real important thing here and Tobe's direction keep the pacing going until the finale. I judge a lot of haunted house movies next to Poltergeist, it might not be fair, but that is what filmmakers/writers should achieve when making a haunted house story. 5 Menacing Killer Clown Toys!

20, Poltergeist II: The Other Side, HD DVR. When I saw this back in '86 (IIRC), I really wanted this to be good as the first. But it isn't as good but today it has some stand out things/performances that are worth watching. The Freelings are homeless and living with the Grandmother. Of course the pesky Poltergeist wants Carol Ann again and achieves this through a scary guy that is the actual 'face' of the poltergeist. The story isn't as good as the first but the performances carry this movie well for what it is. First off the Scary old guy that follows the family around and wanting in the home is pretty damn creepy. Next the Native American, Taylor helps the family, like Tangina did before in the first movie. His performance is also great in this film. Everyone else is pretty much a secondary character because they pretty much reprise their role from the first film. Not a bad thing but nothing different. The other thing is HR Giger 'creature' in this movie! That thing is just horrendous and makes the evil guy look tame! HR also did the ending creature which you don't get to see a lot of but it is there! 3 Tequila Worms!!
Funny you mention the Poltergeists; I am going to rent the remake tomorrow and will watch the original some time this week in keeping with the spirit; the problem is, I only have Warner/MGM's original snapper case DVD of this landmark haunted house film and need to upgrade. How's the picture quality on the Blu-ray?

I also own Poltergeist II (an underrated sequel in my opinion) and III (just before Heather O'Rourke died) on a double feature DVD from MGM.

Quote:
I also watched 30 Days of Night on BD and man the presentation was pretty damn cool! Bass was thumbing and the surrounds were alive! Not bad for a $5 horror movie on BD!

Didn't we discuss your watching of this title, or was that another member?

2-CHANNEL:
Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This past weekend I caught a nasty cold/allergy and I hope I am on the downward trend of this because I am feeling a little better now. I kinda went on a Tobe Hooper double feature and I didn't plan for it, but it was a pretty cool ride this weekend.

Hope you are feeling better; nothing worse than a pre-winter cold...

Did you read all the information I provided for you regarding your questions about the Halloween box set?

I actually bought the original Texas Chainsaw on DVD back when the remake hit theaters and Pioneer released it as a Special Edition with, supposedly, completely restored elements as supervised by Hooper; aside from the packaging, this version of the film never impressed me. It still looks like a VHS tape in most places and the audio, while claiming to be a reworked stereo mix, sounds awful and flat, as if coming out of TV speakers:

Funny you mention the Poltergeists; I am going to rent the remake tomorrow and will watch the original some time this week in keeping with the spirit; the problem is, I only have Warner/MGM's original snapper case DVD of this landmark haunted house film and need to upgrade. How's the picture quality on the Blu-ray?

I also own Poltergeist II (an underrated sequel in my opinion) and III (just before Heather O'Rourke died) on a double feature DVD from MGM.

Didn't we discuss your watching of this title, or was that another member?[/QUOTE]

Yes you did answer the questions on the Halloween Box set. I will probably buy 1-3 since those get much replay action rather than spending $80 dollars.

Nope, it was me on the 30 Days of Night. My mom was over and she never watches horror films so I through that on.

The First Poltergeist on BD is a must for fans! The audio and video are pretty damn good and I am always impressed with the presentation. I do believe I bought the digibook version of this film and I recommend it highly! I don't own the others on BD but I do have them on my DVR from cable channels. I usually only watch Poltergeist or Poltergeist II, 3 is alright but it is kind of a mess of a film. Yeah a lot of deaths on the original cast happened, and I do believe this is the reason Spielberg will not re-visit Poltergeist again.

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-26-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked: 533
25/25

"Let Us Prey" was quite good and has Pollyanna McIntosh from "The Blood Lands" which Oink had a cameo in. I was expecting more of a slasher film (ho hum) but it has a very supernatural element in it. Be ready for "Let Us Prey II". Four battering rams.
GoCaboNow likes this.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:

18. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, BD. It has been a long while since I have seen this flick and a first on BD. This movie's presentation was actually pretty good considering how old this movie is. This movie doesn't let any true horror fan down with enough, scares, gore and creepiness to go around. This is the original and the best out of all the Chainsaws made imo. 5 Chainsaw ripping dudes!
Hopefully you watched the 40th Anniversary edition. They did a great job making best it will ever will look.

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I don't have time for write ups on the last few days but wanted to get them down before I forgot. Nothing really new here anyway...

10/22
Seed of Chucky
Child's Play
10/23
Missed another day. Got the new Guitar Hero game and played it all night
10/24
Leprechaun 2
Leprechaun 3
Leprechaun 4

10/25
The Final Girls - I agree with the recommendations on this one. I really enjoyed it
Old 10-26-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I said...

I Hope You Are Feeling Better From Your Cold!!!!!!

Quote:
Yes you did answer the questions on the Halloween Box set. I will probably buy 1-3 since those get much replay action rather than spending $80 dollars.

Was just checking because I didn't get a response from you and normally do; I like the first three, as well, in addition to the fourth (Return of Michael Myers) which I feel is the end of the better sequels. The box set just doesn't make financial sense to us, personally, and doesn't seem like it does to you, either...but it sure would look cool on the shelf and having all the films in one place...

Quote:
Nope, it was me on the 30 Days of Night. My mom was over and she never watches horror films so I through that on.

That's THREW that on...

Wow; not many moms into horror...that's cool.

Quote:
The First Poltergeist on BD is a must for fans! The audio and video are pretty damn good and I am always impressed with the presentation. I do believe I bought the digibook version of this film and I recommend it highly! I don't own the others on BD but I do have them on my DVR from cable channels. I usually only watch Poltergeist or Poltergeist II, 3 is alright but it is kind of a mess of a film. Yeah a lot of deaths on the original cast happened, and I do believe this is the reason Spielberg will not re-visit Poltergeist again.

Yeah, there's a rumor about the "curse" of this franchise wherein not only did O'Rourke tragically die (she was gonna grow up to be some blonde hottie, that's for sure; what a tragedy though for a kid her age) so did the one who plays her sister in the film as well as random crew and backup cast members. I will have to get the Blu of the first film -- the DigiBook looks cool -- because the original DVD release I own, while anamorphic, looks cruddy.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

2-CHANNEL:
Old 10-26-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
I don't have time for write ups on the last few days but wanted to get them down before I forgot. Nothing really new here anyway...

10/22
Seed of Chucky
Child's Play
10/23
Missed another day. Got the new Guitar Hero game and played it all night
10/24
Leprechaun 2
Leprechaun 3
Leprechaun 4
10/25
The Final Girls - I agree with the recommendations on this one. I really enjoyed it

Wasn't Leprechaun 4 when that lil' imbecile Warwick Davis was in outer space? I caught parts of this on AMC Fear Fest the other night and couldn't help but think this is how New Line Cinema flushed the Friday the 13th franchise down the toilet with Jason X...

2-CHANNEL:
Old 10-26-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Dracula (1931) - I finished watching this one today. I love these old horror classics. 4 displaced armadillos.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Hopefully you watched the 40th Anniversary edition. They did a great job making best it will ever will look.

I don't think NF rents that out but I have a picture from their website which one I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15815343.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1019793  
Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While we're on the subject of angry vegetables, I should perhaps mention that Marvel's Man-Thing is probably also worth a look (if you haven't already seen it). Hardcore fans of the comic may sneer at some of it, but it had some pretty nice atmosphere, FX, and performances by the B-list cast imo (and I did read some of the comics when I was a kid). PQ was also pretty good as I recall, and would probably look quite nice on your plasma, or upscaled to 4k.

Looks like this is still unavailable on BD, which is too bad. The DVD is pretty decent though, and should upscale to 1080p reasonably well. Or maybe it can be streamed in HD.

ADU
Old 10-26-2015, 01:14 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
4 displaced armadillos.

ADU
Old 10-26-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Shout out to all the participants in the thread, lots of great stuff and discussion. You really can't find such an amiable thread on the internet.
ADU, CoreyM, ApolloCreed and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement