October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 595 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6770Likes

Old 01-12-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Plastic surgery, LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Yeah that isn't bad but I need the Sony (or other brands) Pjs to come down a bit. $6k is the cheapest 4K pj. Speaking of BD players you guys remember seeing $1100 first gen BD players?! Made the $600 PS3 a bargain BD player.
I think 2018 or 2019 JVC or Epson will have an affordable 4k pj. I think this fall AVS was pre-selling the entry level JVC for less than $3500 and has everything one could need in a 4k machine, except for 4k panels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Just saw this. What a bummer. RIP Mr. Scrimm.

Bought a couple My Pillows today.
How is the pillow working out for you? I switched to a smaller, firmer pillow years ago and alleviated chronic neck pain I had.

The wife says we need a new mattress as well. I am never doing pillow top again. What does everyone spend on a mattress? Seems like I double my budget every time we buy a new mattress, granted that's every 10 years or so.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I think 2018 or 2019 JVC or Epson will have an affordable 4k pj. I think this fall AVS was pre-selling the entry level JVC for less than $3500 and has everything one could need in a 4k machine, except for 4k panels.

How is the pillow working out for you? I switched to a smaller, firmer pillow years ago and alleviated chronic neck pain I had.

The wife says we need a new mattress as well. I am never doing pillow top again. What does everyone spend on a mattress? Seems like I double my budget every time we buy a new mattress, granted that's every 10 years or so.
Most matressess are made domestically and not imported, and that is still a lot of hand work needed to make them. Pillow tops are not for everybody. A lot of people who bought Tempurpedics never went the pillow top route. Generally speaking people buy their mattresses too hard, not too soft. And 8-10 years is what you should be getting out of them, 1000 dollars is not out of whack for a good queen. Moore's law doesn't apply to these things.
GoCaboNow likes this.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Quote:
Ha!
My only problem with the lump sum is that you leave a ton on the table vs taking the payments. I am only 40 so payments to 70 would be sweet.
You are CERTAIN you will live to see the last payment?

Quote:
Only way I would take the lump sum is that if a state is going to go BK.
Sounds to me you haven't taken into account a zombie apocalypse.

Quote:
work on my cars, play with my kids and run a slew of vacation rentals that I would probably live off of that revenue.
You're thinking too small...hire people to do this for ya.

Quote:
It would be cool to also have chefs come to your home and cook once a week!
I think the interview process would be the most rewarding...
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Plastic surgery, LOL!
After your photo is published, going out in public could be hazardous.

Quote:
I think this fall AVS was pre-selling the entry level JVC for less than $3500 and has everything one could need in a 4k machine, except for 4k panels.
Making it what...exactly?
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Let's not forget that 4K is yesterday's news. 8K is the new "thing to have."

If someone here won Powerball my bet they wouldn't be posting here anymore. At that amount you definitely get professional help in managing the money. Hands of all the financial managers here?
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

Quote:

I have been reading about the jvc with that e shift but I will probably continue to wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
You are CERTAIN you will live to see the last payment?

Sounds to me you haven't taken into account a zombie apocalypse.

Spoiler!

After your photo is published, going out in public could be hazardous.

Yeah that is what a trust is for so that my family will continue to get the cash if I die. I think close to 30million a year would be more than enough cash to play with! Heck you can even make a horror movie with that kind of money!

If I had all that money, I would have a separate building with all of the tools I could ever want to work on cars. It is kind of my therapy that calms me and is rewarding to do. Of course I would have help so I don't hurt myself too badly.

Naughty chef, I like!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Hands of all the financial managers here?
I'm a financial manager. Here's some free advice. Immediately transfer your billion dollars to the First National Bank of Ken's Right Front Pocket.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

*hand goes up*
Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler!
If you hire this one I would make sure to have ALL the ovens very low to the floor.

Quote:

Faux K

Quote:
I have been reading about the jvc with that e shift but I will probably continue to wait.

Yes, as will I. The point I was trying to make () was JVC, imo, is very close to having a valid 4k machine. This unit has the connections and ability to play what will be available in 4k soon. It just does not have the 4k panels, which should be coming along any year. Plop the new panels in this box and you are good to go. These new machines are so bright you can go with a bigger screen to take advantage of 4k, or go AT to put your speakers behind the screen but still have bright and punchy pic - or both.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I demoed the jvc and epson before I bought the Sony a few years ago and I was very impressed with the 2d performance of the jvc! If they come out with a 4K around the same price as their past mid level pj, I am in!

Side note I got that sub in a few days ago and hooked it up with only 200watts and I clearly noticed a big difference in bass equality in my HT room. Kinda like like hearing stereo sound for the first time. My other amp will be here next week and I think 700rms watts will match my Hsu a lot better!
GoCaboNow likes this.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4050 Post(s)
Liked: 8505
Quote:
If you hire this one I would make sure to have ALL the ovens very low to the floor.

Faux K

Yes, as will I. The point I was trying to make () was JVC, imo, is very close to having a valid 4k machine. This unit has the connections and ability to play what will be available in 4k soon. It just does not have the 4k panels, which should be coming along any year. Plop the new panels in this box and you are good to go. These new machines are so bright you can go with a bigger screen to take advantage of 4k, or go AT to put your speakers behind the screen but still have bright and punchy pic - or both.
You buy a new projector, Cabo?

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 01-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
If someone here won Powerball my bet they wouldn't be posting here anymore.
Sure I would...DON'T be surprised when I post Thursday.

Quote:
If I had all that money, I would have a separate building with all of the tools I could ever want to work on cars. It is kind of my therapy that calms me and is rewarding to do.
Uncle Oink recommends replacing the grease with the lubricating power of Patron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I'm a financial manager. Here's some free advice. Immediately transfer your billion dollars to the First National Bank of Ken's Right Front Pocket.
LOL.

Quote:
Yes indeed.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make () was JVC, imo, is very close to having a valid 4k machine. This unit has the connections and ability to play what will be available in 4k soon. It just does not have the 4k panels, which should be coming along any year. Plop the new panels in this box and you are good to go. These new machines are so bright you can go with a bigger screen to take advantage of 4k, or go AT to put your speakers behind the screen but still have bright and punchy pic - or both.
I'm not sure how it is possible to "plop new panels in the box," but OK.
Did JVC actually say it would/could be done?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can bet your sweet pork laden arses if I hit the Powerball I will be on an island selling tacos in a place that is cool with Dino DNA stealing IT guys and retired Batmans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	when_you_see_hot_bikini_babes_on_instagram_just_remember_who_owns_the_boat._1062138178.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1181938  
oink and BornSlippyZ like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Ralph's review of the final installment of Paranormal Activity is posted as well as Lee's review of Sinister 2. I will definitely watch these two for October but I will have to buy the 3D version of PA because I do think it would be worth seeing in 3D.

Also speaking of new audio/video gadgets, monoprice has showcased their new 7 channel, 2ohm stable amp for sale! I went to their website and Monoprice is really coming up in the world! Which lead me to look at bargain screens and Amazon (because of Prime) pretty much leads the price factor when it comes to bargain screens. For a 120" white fixed screen, $250 shipped to your door is a bargain! I wish I would have seen this and I would have maybe upgraded to a 120"!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:16 AM

Watched last nite:

Excellent horror flick.

Good acting and writing, but beware: this has the darkest video in a movie I think I have ever seen.
Turn the Brightness and Contrast way up.

Huge twist in the 3rd Act.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Good acting and writing, but beware: this has the darkest video in a movie I think I have ever seen.
Darker than The Descent?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You buy a new projector, Cabo?
Not yet, holding out for UHD. 4K for $4K.
Quote:

I'm not sure how it is possible to "plop new panels in the box," but OK.
Did JVC actually say it would/could be done?
I meant a new model, a year or two from now, that uses 4k panels along with the majority of the cool new features in the model released this year. Stuff you already have in your tv.
Quote:
Ralph's review of the final installment of Paranormal Activity is posted as well as Lee's review of Sinister 2. I will definitely watch these two for October but I will have to buy the 3D version of PA because I do think it would be worth seeing in 3D.

Also speaking of new audio/video gadgets, monoprice has showcased their new 7 channel, 2ohm stable amp for sale! I went to their website and Monoprice is really coming up in the world! Which lead me to look at bargain screens and Amazon (because of Prime) pretty much leads the price factor when it comes to bargain screens. For a 120" white fixed screen, $250 shipped to your door is a bargain! I wish I would have seen this and I would have maybe upgraded to a 120"!
95 pound beast. I just got an Emotiva XPA1 and XPA2 at 70+ pounds each. Those are enough fun to get into a rack for me.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Watched last nite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdUnL5I6xs

Excellent horror flick.

I like the trailer but this has me concerned from IMDB.

Sex & Nudity
No nudity. One scene of a man and woman kissing and then the woman says 'We have to be quiet.' implying they are going to have sex. Nothing is seen.

Violence & Gore

One scene a mouse gets smashed with a tool, but you don't really see anything. A man is shot several times and dies.

Profanity

None

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

None.

Frightening/Intense Scenes

Several tense scenes but relatively mild.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Darker than The Descent?
It's been awhile since I have seen The Descent, but yeah, it's at least that dark.

Quote:
A pj?
Might be in for a long wait...

Quote:
I meant a new model, a year or two from now, that uses 4k panels along with the majority of the cool new features in the model released this year. Stuff you already have in your tv.
Oh, OK, I misunderstood.

Quote:
XPA2 at 70+ pounds each.
Got one in my 2ch. setup...great amp BTW.

Quote:
I like the trailer but this has me concerned from IMDB.
IMDB is an even worse source for reviews than RT (something I thought was impossible).
Old 01-13-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Darker than The Descent?
Darker than Thor?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

IMDB is an even worse source for reviews than RT (something I thought was impossible).
Agree. It's only value is looking up actors, crew, etc.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 569
"Z Nation" season two will be available on Netflix the 17th. I'll be interested to see how it plays compared with season one. Heard they got into trouble with the film unions this time which are practically non-existent in eastern Washington.

I would be okay with winning second place in the Powerball. That would be a good "retirement" sum and small enough no one would bug you. Large sums become a responsibility and probably why some winners have said it was the worst thing to ever happen to them.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Darker than Thor?
I don't recall Thor being particularly dark, but yeah, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Agree. It's only value is looking up actors, crew, etc.
Same here.

Quote:
"Z Nation" season two will be available on Netflix the 17th.
I could get but a few episodes in with S1 before "oinking" it.
Just not funny enough IMO...although Wabo has said it got better as it went along.
Unfortunately, his track record shows he doesn't know jack-squat about proper zombiesm.

Quote:
I would be okay with winning second place in the Powerball. That would be a good "retirement" sum and small enough no one would bug you. Large sums become a responsibility and probably why some winners have said it was the worst thing to ever happen to them.
The thing is EVERYONE you know will look at you differently (and not in a good way).
The only sensible thing to do is to disappear and restart one's life.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL; and get plastic-surgery for goodness' sake!
Old 01-13-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

95 pound beast. I just got an Emotiva XPA1 and XPA2 at 70+ pounds each. Those are enough fun to get into a rack for me.
That is about my price point that is unless something cool happens tonight lol, I won't win but it is a awesome thought!
Quote:
Watched last nite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdUnL5I6xs

Excellent horror flick.

AVP:R was probably one of my darkest flicks I own and I had to adjust some black levels to get a great picture. I will check this out oink!
Quote:
"Z Nation" season two will be available on Netflix the 17th. I'll be interested to see how it plays compared with season one. Heard they got into trouble with the film unions this time which are practically non-existent in eastern Washington.

Heck yeah I would too! Honestly money or having vast amounts of it that you didn't earn is kinda like having vast amounts of alcohol. If you are a truly mean person, alcohol will magnify that quality, or if you shouldn't drink because it makes you too crazy, same (imo) goes with money. I read somewhere that 70% of all lotto winners go Tango Uniform (TU'd) and have more debt and no more money. I kinda feel sorry for those folks but honestly they choose poorly and have bad habits, equal their position. Not saying I wouldn't go a bit 'crazy' with some purchases but I have a family and a wife (who is a money miser) that would keep me grounded more than not. And having a plan and wealth management goes a long way! Mark Cuban gave out advise and he said to not gift huge sums to family members unless you knew their situation before winning.
Quote:
I don't recall Thor being particularly dark, but yeah, it is.

Same here.

I could get but a few episodes in with S1 before "oinking" it.
Just not funny enough IMO...although Wabo has said it got better as it went along.
Unfortunately, his track record shows he doesn't know jack-squat about proper zombiesm.

The thing is EVERYONE you know will look at you differently (and not in a good way).
The only sensible thing to do is to disappear and restart one's life.
Yep, You have to be prepared for consequences that you aren't going to for see when you get all that money. I know a few family members that would come after me for cash and I would probably have to pay a decent amount to attorneys to keep them back. I have a family though so on that front, I would be ok without those folks. I would though be generous with my money and have foundations to help disable folks in this country. Better having that than giving it all up in taxes.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
AVP:R was probably one of my darkest flicks I own and I had to adjust some black levels to get a great picture. I will check this out oink!
Hidden is DARKER than AVP:R.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hidden is DARKER than AVP:R.
Whoa that is dark!
Old 01-13-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

In Thor, the WHOLE world is dark...
oink likes this.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm just saying that on the bluray on my plasma Thor, the non Earth stuff is super dark to the point of being hard to watch. I didn't have to adjust Descent to watch it.

The Thor sequel wasn't this way. I understand it may be different on every display. One of the joys of the plasma is those dark scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement