October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 622 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 8266Likes

Old 02-11-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Nice Oink, I like the two door CTSV and you got my favorite color!
I have a professional, who I have bringing my vehicles to for 20 years, detail it a couple times a year.
When I get it back, the Black Raven (as Cadillac calls the color) really pops and just glistens like some kind of black mirror.

Quote:
That Ford GT is just jaw dropping! And that motor has more than enough power to send that car to 200mph. If a V6TT is good enough for a GTR it is good enough for the Ford GT!
The engine Ford is using comes directly from their Daytona Prototype race car.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Mutually Assured Destruction! That is one thing that I love about the Alien. Not as powerful as the Predator but they have numbers and they spread like a virus. A nuke is pretty much the only way to get rid of them!
Yup...vaporize the lot of 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Yikes. My wife and I were having a discussion last night about Zika as we're heading to Puerto Rico in a couple weeks. Lots of confirmed cases there.
I hope she isn't pregnant!

Quote:
I'm perfectly fine allowing the wife to take the Charger so I can play around in it.
NOOOOOoooooo.........

Quote:
The Green Inferno is pretty hit and miss. YMMV, but we were really expecting more.
There has been a lot of difference of opinion on this one...not sure if I'll take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Oh, and not to completely turn this thread into a car forum.
We do have a thread on AVS where we talk about street cars, race cars, all kinds of racing on 4 wheels, and everything in between (except NASCAR).
It's a very active thread and we have a lot of fun over there.

Here it is:
2016 F1 racing in HD

Quote:
but I have a dilemma that I've been struggling with and it would be nice to get some other opinions. I'm been thinking about adding running boards or nerf bars to the Explorer. If you can picture what it would look like on our ride........what are your opinions on that idea??? Good or bad???
They're helpful to the young and old in getting in or out (especially "in").
If you have a lot of them to haul around, then yeah, they're worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Nothing says BAD A$$ like a stock Honda Pilot.
Beaverton...it's killing you, man.

Quote:
Deathgasm was a lot of fun. Speaking of Bada$$, reminded me a bit in tone of Knights of Bada$$dom. (already in the mail for Oink)
Did you mail it yesterday?
My queue is saying it's arriving tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
IMHO if you need to add accessories in order for your family to safely and comfortably enter/exit the vehicle, you shouldn't have bought that vehicle to begin with. If you just like the way they look then go for it. I won't tell you what to like or not like, but to me buying a vehicle that needs running boards makes as much sense as buying a bed you need a ladder to get in and out of. Some people like that kind of thing. I just don't get it.
You make a good point.
I know I am a little biased when it comes to aftermarket car parts but I do like when people make their vehicle their 'own' so to speak. I don't think this is a case of wow I bought a corvette but need space for 3 people now, kinda like the guy on the carmax commercial that brought home the yellow Corvette (grand sport or zr1) to an expectant wife. I just think Apollo likes the look of having a running board and there is probably a ton of options that can work for a lower profile SUV. Automotive manufacturers are geniuses at times when they build a car, but by time it gets to accounting a lot of things can be omitted to make the car more profitable. I have worked on cars for a while and I have seen some bonehead things on cars that can be circumvented by a smart aftermarket company. For instance, Weathertech that makes the floor liners should be standard (or optioned) in every car sold in a state with severe weather. It makes the interior last longer and stops corrosion from the inside. I think for simple product, it is genius! I have them in my Sequoia and it makes detailing the interior a snap! But I do concede that none of this stuff is a dire 'need', but I do think for a lot of folks, they add a little something neat to the car. My wife thinks I am nuts when I talk about buying a car and throwing another $25K into making it a beast (because OEM to me doesn't cut it, even on a Ferrari I can find things I would change) but that is just what I like to do. So in a sense I am economically challenged right now lol.
Ken.F likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
A little cranky today?
Nope.

Running boards are awesome! All the cool kids have them.
oink, GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope.

Running boards are awesome! All the cool kids have them.
I would love to own a 'pimp' car! But my go to would be this...I am sure my neighbors would love me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sam.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1246313  
Old 02-11-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Yep, like Slippy said, this is not a functionality question. It is about making it my own and giving it a little character. As previously stated, we don't have kids and it's low profile enough for both of us to get in and out of with ease........ Somebody most definitely had their corn flakes shat on this morning.
Ken.F likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
My wife thinks I am nuts when I talk about buying a car and throwing another $25K into making it a beast.
Having done that, all I can say is remember you won't be able to get your $$$ back out of it when you sell.
It's just an expense, not an investment.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Having done that, all I can say is remember you won't be able to get your $$$ back out of it when you sell.
It's just an expense, not an investment.
Yep, you either part it out or take a huge loss when you sell (if I get the toy I really want, I won't be selling for a looonnnnggg time, but who knows). I tell younger folks that mod their vehicles that and most try and sell it for more than market value. I then suggest they part it out on the forums and put the car back to stock.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 662
"The Green Inferno" was supposed to have released two years ago but there were some licensing deal complications. Goes good with pickled pigs feet.

"Trace" is a new offering on Hulu which I watched last night in stunning 1080p. I hope those with Hulu can see it at that resolution or maybe 4K if you such a set. 4K on Hulu? Look at the browser title on this link to the Hulu app for the NVidia Shield TV.
https://shield.nvidia.com/apps/hulu

"Trace" opens up with some nice high contrast images which makes it easy to tell if it's shown at a higher resolution (depending on device and time watched). Good EVP horror film. Four glass shards.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 2450
Green Inferno isn't perfect but I like how the social media activists get skewered by the real world.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone check out Hellions? Pontypool guy did it. Serious wtf, killer audio, surreal visuals. Cult classic written all over it. It's like he physically manifested, in a dream world, the "crazy" they talked about in Pontypool. I think I'm in love.

Last edited by darthrsg; 02-11-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
"Trace" is a new offering on Hulu which I watched last night in stunning 1080p.
I'll have to check that one out. I just started my Hulu free trial so I can watch 11.22.63 on Monday. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep Hulu since I already have more to watch than I have time for, but it's nice to have more choices.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Over the past week I have bounced movie genres and watched Braveheart last night. Not horror but I haven't seen a movie in a long time that showed decapitations, stabbings, throat slashing, sword hitting crotch, hammer blows to head and body, arrow piercing butt/head, impalements of wood and antler etc. Even off camera Mel G getting his innards pulled out is enough to make a seasoned horror enthusiast take note! I don't think there has been an epic movie like Braveheart that has that many killings made since!
ApolloCreed and GoCaboNow like this.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Anyone check out Hellions? Pontypool guy did it. Serious wtf, killer audio, surreal visuals. Cult classic written all over it. It's like he physically manifested, in a dream world, the "crazy" they talked about in Pontypool. I think I'm in love.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJFMadL6ddI
I watched it a week ago and recommended it here.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I watched it a week ago and recommended it here.

Cool. Must've missed it. Very interesting movie.

Is the 11.22.63 a mini series or a regular episodic series? I only know a little about it but tend to enjoy King's work most of the time.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the 11.22.63 a mini series or a regular episodic series? I only know a little about it but tend to enjoy King's work most of the time.
Mini series. I think it's 8 parts.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Mini series. I think it's 8 parts.

Cool. His work does well in that space. Under the Dome should have been a mini too. Now, Maximum Overdrive, that's a series if there ever were one.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Blade 2 today and I learned that my BD player (PS4) had the noise reduction filter on so now movies sound a bit better with it switched to off. I always wonder why stuff like that is 'default' for these machines. After blade I watched about 30 minutes of Hellions and so far I really like it! Girl kinda looks like Katniss Everdeen.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Watched Blade 2 today and I learned that my BD player (PS4) had the noise reduction filter on so now movies sound a bit better with it switched to off. I always wonder why stuff like that is 'default' for these machines. After blade I watched about 30 minutes of Hellions and so far I really like it! Girl kinda looks like Katniss Everdeen.
The media server I use, Plex, has an "audio boost" on by default. In my setup anytime it got loud things crackled. Took me a while to track that down. It's funny about that stuff, over on Reddit people will die on the hill of having that stuff on. These kids today are a trip watching HD on a phone and swearing off big displays and audio.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The media server I use, Plex, has an "audio boost" on by default. In my setup anytime it got loud things crackled. Took me a while to track that down. It's funny about that stuff, over on Reddit people will die on the hill of having that stuff on. These kids today are a trip watching HD on a phone and swearing off big displays and audio.
I use Plex on my Windows 10 tablet every day to watch the news while cooking dinner. It works great as a pocket sized tv. The audio boost really helps with those crappy little built in speakers. I wouldn't want to sit down and watch movies on it but the small screen devices can be very handy for casual use.
darthrsg likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I remember talking/debating some of my younger cousins about this issue. I tell them if that is what you really like, then cool. But don't tell me I don't need X to enjoy movies/music. I tell them it is all about economics. Most cannot afford a place to have huge tv's or a space to really flex a stereo system. I cannot afford a Ferrari but I not going to bash them for spending their money on what they want. I also say yeah it might sound old school but I like having space for that stuff. Most of my extended family hasn't experienced my HT stuff so they look at me with lobsters crawling out of my ears.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I sometimes use my sons iPad to watch movies since I don't have a smart tv or BD player that is compatible with my old bedroom tv. I am hoping to change that one day.

On my PS4 there were two default audio correction or stabilizations that when I turned them off, the bass level went up! I noticed Wesley Snipes kicks/punches had some bass in Blade2.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I use Plex on my Windows 10 tablet every day to watch the news while cooking dinner. It works great as a pocket sized tv. The audio boost really helps with those crappy little built in speakers. I wouldn't want to sit down and watch movies on it but the small screen devices can be very handy for casual use.
Don't get me wrong they have their place but if that's how you watch Prometheus or Crimson Peak or other similar things that demand a bigger presentation we can offer another hill to die on. Also Reddit isn't exactly known for having a lot smart people contributing. To their credit it was how they were exposed and most don't know it can be better. The download crowd over there are always asking why the audio is so terrible on the torrents but refuse to believe most of those take a 5.1 audio track and downconvert it to stereo to get a smaller file, same with video. Most 720p rips or whatever are a pixelated mess and they're ok with it.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I remember talking/debating some of my younger cousins about this issue. I tell them if that is what you really like, then cool. But don't tell me I don't need X to enjoy movies/music. I tell them it is all about economics. Most cannot afford a place to have huge tv's or a space to really flex a stereo system. I cannot afford a Ferrari but I not going to bash them for spending their money on what they want. I also say yeah it might sound old school but I like having space for that stuff. Most of my extended family hasn't experienced my HT stuff so they look at me with lobsters crawling out of my ears.
I use "these kids" to broadly marginalize and judge anyone but me. The hill I'm dying on is lonely most days of the week.

Economics is an important factor and there are some badass soundbars and stuff out there for sure.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use "these kids" to broadly marginalize and judge anyone but me. The hill I'm dying on is lonely most days of the week.

Economics is an important factor and there are some badass soundbars and stuff out there for sure.
My favorite soundbar I have heard is the Klipsch one. That thing screams for a sound bar but honestly I would be happy with anything besides tv speakers. That is the other question, are tv speakers gotten better or worse in tvs?
Old 02-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
"The Green Inferno" was supposed to have released two years ago but there were some licensing deal complications. Goes good with pickled pigs feet.
Most don't know we swine are light on our feet.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Anyone check out Hellions?
I started it, but haven't finished yet.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 9743
I step out for a bit and we're talking about soundbars now? No, that simply won't do.
darthrsg and GoCaboNow like this.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My favorite soundbar I have heard is the Klipsch one. That thing screams for a sound bar but honestly I would be happy with anything besides tv speakers. That is the other question, are tv speakers gotten better or worse in tvs?
I gotta say worse but again it's relative. We use the TV speakers in the bedroom on the Sony and it's fine for that type of viewing, mostly dialogue vs sweeping environmental stuff.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Most don't know we swine are light on our feet.
More like light in your loafers. Lol. Made myself laugh.
GoCaboNow and stevew24963 like this.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I had an old RCA CRT (probably like a 96-97 vintage) that had actual copper speaker connections on the back. Loved that set. It would use the built in speakers as a center of sorts and drive the L/R out to the user added speakers or you could just out it to the add ons. We watched Blair Witch on a screener VHS from my video store pal on it. Blew our little minds.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I step out for a bit and we're talking about soundbars now? No, that simply won't do.
Oh I agree, but I have been encroaching on my better half territory with the idea of speakers in the living room. I have an old sony avr that I would love to hook up two book shelf speakers in the living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement