October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 623 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4847Likes

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I had an old RCA CRT (probably like a 96-97 vintage) that had actual copper speaker connections on the back. Loved that set. It would use the built in speakers as a center of sorts and drive the L/R out to the user added speakers or you could just out it to the add ons. We watched Blair Witch on a screener VHS from my video store pal on it. Blew our little minds.
I think my old Sony CRT had big speakers in it and it sounded decent. But I do remember that TV was uber heavy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 6303
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Oh I agree, but I have been encroaching on my better half territory with the idea of speakers in the living room. I have an old sony avr that I would love to hook up two book shelf speakers in the living room.
Living room? I thought you had a dedicated HT room. In fact, I've seen pics of it. I dunno, maybe I caught rsg's Norovirus.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Living room? I thought you had a dedicated HT room. In fact, I've seen pics of it. I dunno, maybe I caught rsg's Norovirus.

Oh yeah I do but I was wanting to spread my toys out in her space!

If you are running to the toilet or puking, you might have it!
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Anyone check out Hellions? Pontypool guy did it. Serious wtf, killer audio, surreal visuals. Cult classic written all over it. It's like he physically manifested, in a dream world, the "crazy" they talked about in Pontypool. I think I'm in love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched it a week ago and recommended it here.
Top 10 in my queue now
Quote:
I remember talking/debating some of my younger cousins about this issue. I tell them if that is what you really like, then cool. But don't tell me I don't need X to enjoy movies/music. I tell them it is all about economics. Most cannot afford a place to have huge tv's or a space to really flex a stereo system. I cannot afford a Ferrari but I not going to bash them for spending their money on what they want. I also say yeah it might sound old school but I like having space for that stuff. Most of my extended family hasn't experienced my HT stuff so they look at me with lobsters crawling out of my ears.
Quote:
I use "these kids" to broadly marginalize and judge anyone but me. The hill I'm dying on is lonely most days of the week.

Economics is an important factor and there are some badass soundbars and stuff out there for sure.
Man, you guys sound old.
Not me. Most of the kids in my neighborhood think I am pretty hip. I am usually in the front driveway once or twice a month waxing my high horsepower, low gas efficiency, 10+ year old vehicle. The kids always ride, or skate by, and they always gesture at me waxing my car and smile to each other. I can tell I am "in".

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
I think my old Sony CRT had big speakers in it and it sounded decent. But I do remember that TV was uber heavy!
Yep, my Sony Wega had pretty good sound. But my first plasma definitely takes the cake for tv speakers. It was a Panny 42PX600U and it had like a 30 watt amp in it. I gifted it to my parents awhile back and they were more than impressed with the sound. As a result they have continued to buck the idea of getting a small 5.1 system or even a soundbar.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 244
After opening the Blu-ray packages for The Visit and Sinister 2, a question came to mind. In the past, I've always thrown out the Ultraviolet insert without a second thought, but it occurred to me for the first time that there may be some value in keeping them. For those with Ultraviolet experience and HTPCs, can you actually download a copy of the movie in full HD w/lossless sound directly to your computer? Or is it just a streaming service??
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Where is that meme that has Clint from Gran Torino telling folks to get off my lawn!
GoCaboNow likes this.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
After opening the Blu-ray packages for The Visit and Sinister 2, a question came to mind. In the past, I've always thrown out the Ultraviolet insert without a second thought, but it occurred to me for the first time that there may be some value in keeping them. For those with Ultraviolet experience and HTPCs, can you actually download a copy of the movie in full HD w/lossless sound directly to your computer? Or is it just a streaming service??

Good question because I do the same thing except for children movies. The kids dl the movies to their iPads, but I don't know what the specs are.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Where is that meme that has Clint from Gran Torino telling folks to get off my lawn!
From puke to cars to CRT's, crazy talk. I'm feeling ill.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
From puke to cars to CRT's, crazy talk. I'm feeling ill.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Slow news day except for Einstein being correct about the gravitational waves! I think now the Event Horizon will come back! Ha!

It's beer thirty now and that will keep the viruses away!
stevew24963 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Both. You can enter the codes on vudu for a streaming version and some have a digital copy for transfer to tablets etc. I enter them into Vudu personally. Then HDMI the laptop to the tv of wherever we are staying and then boom, Summer Rental and the Great Outdoors forever!
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Slow news day except for Einstein being correct about the gravitational waves! I think now the Event Horizon will come back! Ha!

It's beer thirty now and that will keep the viruses away!
Feeling the need for something more potent than a brew,perhaps a Nyquil on the rocks,with a paper umbrella.
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Feeling the need for something more potent than a brew,perhaps a Nyquil on the rocks,with a paper umbrella.

Aw yeah, Nyquil is my jam. 💃🍹

Recreational users already knew about gravity waves and didn't need no fancy book learning to prove it.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I need to get on that Zzquil because all the cool kids are doing that on the rocks!

Quote:
Aw yeah, Nyquil is my jam.

Recreational users already knew about gravity waves and didn't need no fancy book learning to prove it.

Like getting overly drunk and you get the spins hence gravity waves as the earth spins!
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I need to get on that Zzquil because all the cool kids are doing that on the rocks!

Like getting overly drunk and you get the spins hence gravity waves as the earth spins!

I heard a story about a guy's girlfriend from Canada that ate some mushrooms once and said we are all connected.
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4945 Post(s)
Liked: 2745
Quote:
I step out for a bit and we're talking about soundbars now? No, that simply won't do.
Stop whining.
Quote:
More like light in your loafers. Lol. Made myself laugh.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Man, you guys sound old.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Not me. Most of the kids in my neighborhood think I am pretty hip. I am usually in the front driveway once or twice a month waxing my high horsepower, low gas efficiency, 10+ year old vehicle. The kids always ride, or skate by, and they always gesture at me waxing my car and smile to each other. I can tell I am "in".
Yeah, SURE they do...

Spoiler!

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I heard a story about a guy's girlfriend from Canada that ate some mushrooms once and said we are all connected.

No doubt things like that unlock things that most cannot understand or should understand. But I do think the human race as a whole are too toddler like to understand the brain and consciousness fully. Maybe in a few millennia we will understand, that is if we are still here.

Watching Sinister 2 now and it does feel really different from the first film.
darthrsg likes this.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No doubt things like that unlock things that most cannot understand or should understand. But I do think the human race as a whole are too toddler like to understand the brain and consciousness fully. Maybe in a few millennia we will understand, that is if we are still here.

Watching Sinister 2 now and it does feel really different from the first film.

Totally.

And yeah S2 is different.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 6303
Quote:
You ever see The X-Files "Field Trip" episode from season 6? Killer fungus. Mulder is tripping and watches Scully melt in front of him. Good episode.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Spoiler!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Ha I love that meme!

That reminds me I need to watch the last episode of the new XFiles and start watching the older ones I haven't seen. Mulder definitely needs to stay away from that stuff!
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4945 Post(s)
Liked: 2745
Tried this tonite:

Yawn...been there, done that.

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement