October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 637 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7111Likes

post #19081 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Speaking of animals, look what's coming to Blu-ray at the end of March. Oink will be in hog heaven!

Pigs (1972)

BornSlippyZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19082 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 2269
House of the Devil and Stakeland people worked on Until Dawn.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/24/u...tion-4-review/
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19083 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Keep in mind it's not perfect like DEATHGASM but is still fun.
Oh yeah for sure, but with all of those things going on, it is bound to be fun!
post #19084 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
House of the Devil and Stakeland people worked on Until Dawn.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/24/u...tion-4-review/
Great article and I now remember this game being demoed a few years back! I just might have to get this!

Oh and I heard the PSVR googles has been delayed till the Fall so more time to ponder whether or not to buy it. I have also been reading articles from folks that have been playing demos with it say they like! Imagine DS in a VR environment?!

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 02-22-2016 at 09:14 AM.
post #19085 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3033
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
As to animal mutilation, I feel bad for animals. Funny how I can watch human mutilation and not feel bad for the humans.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I remember the wife and I watching John Wick and that first part made my wife cry. She almost checked out of the movie but I told her they get theirs soon enough.
Ms. Oink nearly did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Speaking of animals, look what's coming to Blu-ray at the end of March. Oink will be in hog heaven!
I already knew.
Last year I was contacted (and sworn to secrecy) about doing a Behind-The-Scenes featurette for the BD.
I declined because of the way I was treated during the initial filming...even swine has limits.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #19086 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked: 9030
A heads up for all my peeps. Today is national margarita day. Lets honor this sacred tequila and lime concoction. It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Salud!

post #19087 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I like Trader Joe's pub cheese. Ever see what Dollar Tree tries to pass off as cheese spread?
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19088 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
A heads up for all my peeps. Today is national margarita day. Lets honor this sacred tequila and lime concoction. It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Salud!
Whoa, I gotta go buy some limes!
post #19089 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2064
I used to have a lime tree until the Dept of Agriculture cut it down a few years back. They were worried about some virus killing citrus trees.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #19090 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Almost an Oink'd it to staying with it! I am proud of you!

This movie was probably M Nights best since Signs or The Village.
Last Airbender scoffs at Signs and The Village.
Quote:
Freaks of Nature. Pure dumb fun. In a town with vampires, zombies, and humans coexisting an alien invasion sets off chaos. Add another to the pile of recent horror comedies that don't suck.

https://youtu.be/jjqtQnPpi3Y
Cool, this is near the top of my queue. Bluray.com gave it a very poor review so will keep expectations low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Whoa, I gotta go buy some limes!
Any excuse...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #19091 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Cool, this is near the top of my queue. Bluray.com gave it a very poor review so will keep expectations low.
It's a solid 3 out Potato for sure.
post #19092 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

https://youtu.be/yZAuOkt8LbY
Heck yeah! I might try and have one tonight but I have been up since 4 am, so one of those might knock me out! But I think I am getting my second wind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I like Trader Joe's pub cheese. Ever see what Dollar Tree tries to pass off as cheese spread?
I sometimes go into dollar tree and get some snacks but yeah you got to inspect the date and look at it to make sure it qualifies as food. Other thing that some of these stores are getting in trouble for (don't know if it was dollar general or Dollar tree) is selling oil that is supposed to be used in older cars i.e. 1988, 1930! This is their brand of oil and they put it right next to oil that is more expensive but is for use in modern cars. Buyer Beware!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
I used to have a lime tree until the Dept of Agriculture cut it down a few years back. They were worried about some virus killing citrus trees.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
What? That is kinda nuts because you live in Florida and citrus trees thrive there! When I lived in the Bay area we had orange, lime and some overgrown blackberry bush that I occasionally had to fight the opossums for ha!

I decided to skip The Last Crusade and watch Kingdom of the Crystal skull today to see if I would enjoy it more the second go around. I fell asleep after Indy go into the lead lined refrigerator and woke up for the last act (been up early). This movie does have some decent moments and the last act is good. I then looked up on IMDB about how much money this movie made and it made a ton! Second only to The Dark Knight! What is funny is that most of the big critics rated this Indy either the same as the original 3 or higher than Crusade (Leonard Maltin, he rated T3 over T2 as well). I don't know if I agree 100% with that because the first two had a bit of everything and stuff was more scary. Even Crusade had a bit of evil in it and well the last one did kinda but it was underwhelming compared to the the other 3 films. I also prefer the way the first two films are shot and the sound is pretty incredible for BD in those discs too. Now I gotta watch Crusade soon to see how that movie is in BD because I have never seen it in BD!
post #19093 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Actually, I kinda liked LA.

Quote:
Any excuse...
Here is something you can hit the Mrs. with:
Spoiler!

Quote:
Heck yeah! I might try and have one tonight but I have been up since 4 am, so one of those might knock me out! But I think I am getting my second wind!
Margaritas + Red Bull = Happy Boy
post #19094 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I decided to skip The Last Crusade and watch Kingdom of the Crystal skull today to see if I would enjoy it more the second go around. I fell asleep after Indy go into the lead lined refrigerator and woke up for the last act (been up early). This movie does have some decent moments and the last act is good. I then looked up on IMDB about how much money this movie made and it made a ton! Second only to The Dark Knight! What is funny is that most of the big critics rated this Indy either the same as the original 3 or higher than Crusade (Leonard Maltin, he rated T3 over T2 as well). I don't know if I agree 100% with that because the first two had a bit of everything and stuff was more scary. Even Crusade had a bit of evil in it and well the last one did kinda but it was underwhelming compared to the the other 3 films. I also prefer the way the first two films are shot and the sound is pretty incredible for BD in those discs too. Now I gotta watch Crusade soon to see how that movie is in BD because I have never seen it in BD!
You watching Indy movies until 4am? Son, you earned some margaritas. Short Round, squeeze those limes. Chop-chop!

Quote:
Serenity now!

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Actually, I kinda liked LA.
There's not enough margaritas in the world that makes LA watchable.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Last edited by Waboman; 02-22-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #19095 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I think MIL gave me LA, I have never seen.
post #19096 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Pffft....
Spoiler!
post #19097 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You watching Indy movies until 4am? Son, you earned some margaritas. Short Round, squeeze those limes. Chop-chop!

Serenity now!

Spoiler!

Lol, can never get enough of Seinfeld gifs or references.

Lol, can never get enough of Seinfeld gifs or references.
Quote:
I think MIL gave me LA, I have never seen.
Don't let Wabo deter you from LA, or TLA as is properly know. This is a must have for any audio enthusiast. Has three demo worthy scenes in it. Just a few minutes in when Ang, or Uung as it is pronounced in the movie. (WTH?) Ang pod emergence is similar in quality and heft to War of the Worlds pod emergence scene. Killer oomph and tone!

Then about a third of the way in Ang is talking to the dragon and the dragon's voice engages all surrounds at once. Is a very cool sequence.

Finally, the last scene is typical Hollywood extravaganza, but for as many barbs as this movie takes when compared to the most AWESOME tv show, this last scene is actually a BETTER thematic device than the original season 1 ender. Not only is it cooler, and more in character with Ang, it is about 5 minutes of gut wrenching bass and audio assault. Turn it up. then right after this the final scene has killer trumpets/music through the surrounds and mains.

Nothing better than the TV show, and this missed the mark in a lot of areas, but there is a lot of good things going for it if you can look past a few Mding a dong issues and play it loud!

Oink is right on the money with this one,
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #19098 of 21563 Old 02-22-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Cabo you had me at similar to pod emergence scene I walked down to my basement to make sure I have the movie. Low and behold I do! I will give this a watch since I never seen it and the audio is delicious it will keep my attention.

Is this movie kinda like Jupiter Ascending? Killer sound and visuals but the story is lacking? I kinda liked Jupiter Ascending but the villain needed to go to some other actor.

Oh I watched Dracula Untold last night and it was a decent flick!
tenthplanet likes this.
post #19099 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Cabo you had me at similar to pod emergence scene I walked down to my basement to make sure I have the movie. Low and behold I do!
Wait...you had the movie, but didn't know it?

Quote:
Yup.
post #19100 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cabo you had me at similar to pod emergence scene I walked down to my basement to make sure I have the movie. Low and behold I do! I will give this a watch since I never seen it and the audio is delicious it will keep my attention.

Is this movie kinda like Jupiter Ascending? Killer sound and visuals but the story is lacking? I kinda liked Jupiter Ascending but the villain needed to go to some other actor.

Randy Thom is the sound designer for TLA as well as War of the Worlds. A lot of his stuff has really low bass stuff to match what is on screen. Seems like a simple concept but most movies are lacking here. Building falls over but there is no heft? Brings me out of the movie. He also tends to have more aggressive surrounds as well.

Seems like we are seeing more horror movies using audio to add some immersion - other than just jump scares. But is still, imo, horribly underused in horror.

TLA has killer, demo worthy audio scenes, really good set pieces and some name actors. Unfortunately, the tone and gist of the characters is a big whiff. The tv show is lighthearted and action packed, for the most part, with strategic scenes of dramatic heft and consequence - but mostly fun. The movie is too serious and misses the spark of Ang and the other characters. Most of the young actors do not have the experience to carry being serious all the time.

JA is a fun, nothing of a movie. 10 minutes later it is forgotten but was fun to watch. TLA is one of the best kids tv shows EVUH!
It has a lot more to live up.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #19101 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Off-topic question...

Anyone have any comments/opinions on the Darbee editions of the current OPPO Blu-ray Disc players? Are they worth it over the non-Darbee editions?
post #19102 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Randy Thom is the sound designer for TLA as well as War of the Worlds. A lot of his stuff has really low bass stuff to match what is on screen. Seems like a simple concept but most movies are lacking here. Building falls over but there is no heft? Brings me out of the movie. He also tends to have more aggressive surrounds as well.

Seems like we are seeing more horror movies using audio to add some immersion - other than just jump scares. But is still, imo, horribly underused in horror.

TLA has killer, demo worthy audio scenes, really good set pieces and some name actors. Unfortunately, the tone and gist of the characters is a big whiff. The tv show is lighthearted and action packed, for the most part, with strategic scenes of dramatic heft and consequence - but mostly fun. The movie is too serious and misses the spark of Ang and the other characters. Most of the young actors do not have the experience to carry being serious all the time.

JA is a fun, nothing of a movie. 10 minutes later it is forgotten but was fun to watch. TLA is one of the best kids tv shows EVUH!
It has a lot more to live up.

I just finished this and I can say it was a fun watch! I really like anything with martial arts or anything to relating to the Far East. But I do feel there were parts that were a mess of sorts. This could have been really good if someone like Ang Lee, Peter Jackson or even the Watchoskis (sp?) could have done. I don't really know about the story but I have a feeling there is a lot more to tell! A/V was on point and that sound engineer gives movies weight. I felt the air from my subs hit my face! More films need to go to him instead of the other guys like make movies have no depth through sound. I think my daughter might like this movie.
darthrsg and GoCaboNow like this.
post #19103 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

Anyone have any comments/opinions on the Darbee editions of the current OPPO Blu-ray Disc players? Are they worth it over the non-Darbee editions?
Don't have the 103D, but do have the standalone Darblet.

At the moment, Darbee can't pass or process 4K.
HOWEVER, if you watch anything < 4K, you shouldn't be without one...it really is that good.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #19104 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Off-topic question...

I have the 103D. It's a great player. As are all Oppo's. Besides the addition of the Darbee, the 103D uses Silicon Image's VRS instead of The Marvell QDEO processor used in the 103/105. Even if you turned off the Marvell processing it still sent some NR on HDMI 1. Also. it was unable to pass DSD on HDMI 1. For most people this isn't a big deal. But stuff like that bugs me. I digress, you can't go wrong with any of the Oppo's.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #19105 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

My next media player will be an Oppo.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #19106 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

For sale from my local Craigslist. I am temped to go look and see if there is an Army phone number anywhere on these?
darthrsg and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #19107 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For sale from my local Craigslist. I am temped to go look and see if there is an Army phone number anywhere on these?
Spoiler!
LOL!! Braaaaaains.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #19108 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #19109 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This looks like a throwback to the old Mortal Kombat!

I like looking at craigslist for stuff and around these parts there is actually some quality stuff being sold. I just saw a pair of 80's built LaScala Klipsch speakers. He is firm on the $2k but those speakers look awesome! I have never bought off of Craigslist but I have heard of good transactions and horrible ones. One memorable one was a guy was selling his modded 350Z (Twinturbo) for $12K cash and he met up with a pair of guys that robbed and shot the guy. Some folks tell me to do transactions in front of police stations or go with a person/have protection.
post #19110 of 21563 Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This looks like a throwback to the old Mortal Kombat!

I like looking at craigslist for stuff and around these parts there is actually some quality stuff being sold. I just saw a pair of 80's built LaScala Klipsch speakers. He is firm on the $2k but those speakers look awesome! I have never bought off of Craigslist but I have heard of good transactions and horrible ones. One memorable one was a guy was selling his modded 350Z (Twinturbo) for $12K cash and he met up with a pair of guys that robbed and shot the guy. Some folks tell me to do transactions in front of police stations or go with a person/have protection.
For real, you don't want to wind up on some VHS compilation somewhere.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page