October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 652 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10997Likes

post #19531 of 24949 Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I first got my 4311ci for cheap brand new and with warranty. But I always thought the amps were kinda straining on my front stage. So I was shopping around and researching on AVS. Guitar Center had these cheap crown amps (x1000 200watts @8ohms , 600watts bridged mono @8ohms ) for $99 a piece. By using the processor of the 4311 and using the amps to power little surrounds my HT 'woke up'. Fast forward to my HT in this home, I used bookshelf speakers for surrounds and bought a PA 15" sub with a crown xls1000 to even out the bass output from my HSU VTF.

Right now I am pretty happy with my setup and I like the use of external amps taking away the heavy lifting speakers duties from the AVR. Imo my speakers sound 'alive' to my ears. They are articulate when piano soft and robust, kick you in the face when action happens!

For Atmos, I might go the avr route and buy another two channel amp to power a pair of Atmos up firing modules. Or if it is the same price I might go full on pre/pro. Emotiva (amps) is good stuff and I love how they look and perform!

I forgot to add pre/pros have more flexibility and added stuff avrs don't have! Like those XLR (or combo connections) connections and probably better signal voltage out to amps than my avr can do.
Sounds like a success! Nice work. Yeah, I should've added that I do have an understanding with regard to the additional features of a pre/pro and the benefit of taking the amplifier strain off of our receivers by adding external amps......Like you detailed nicely, I'm more interested in the perceived benefit in the "experience" in your HTs. When you said your it sounded "alive", would you say that you were already aware that you were lacking in dynamics in your system and this was a necessary upgrade for that reason? Like I stated, I don't necessarily feel like I'm lacking right now because I know there is more juice left.

Maybe this is a situation where the difference just has to be heard on my own speakers to fully understand the benefits.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19532 of 24949 Old 03-10-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Sounds like a success! Nice work. Yeah, I should've added that I do have an understanding with regard to the additional features of a pre/pro and the benefit of taking the amplifier strain off of our receivers by adding external amps......Like you detailed nicely, I'm more interested in the perceived benefit in the "experience" in your HTs. When you said your it sounded "alive", would you say that you were already aware that you were lacking in dynamics in your system and this was a necessary upgrade for that reason? Like I stated, I don't necessarily feel like I'm lacking right now because I know there is more juice left.

Maybe this is a situation where the difference just has to be heard on my own speakers to fully understand the benefits.

I guess I perceive that my system should be performing a bit better or tuning it so it sounds right to my ears.

Years ago I heard my L/Rs perform beautifully with my friends McIntosh amps/processor. I knew then these Klipschs could sound great! But at the time I couldn't afford anything like that and I was living in shared wall places so my Klipschs went into storage for a while till I can rent a home to really use them.

I never forgot how they can really sound so I thought I should keep these and add more Klipschs as I go on with life. I know AVS folks say Klipschs are high efficient speakers and they don't need extra power but my ears say other wise.

I think now the speakers don't strain and my amps aren't straining to keep up. The only time I have noticed my X1000s cooling fans speed up from idle (95% they are idling) was from watching Mad Max Fury Road. I felt the air on my neck (amps are behind my seating area) from the cooling fans. So then I knew this soundtrack really pushed the amps and speakers good. I guess in a way I am trying to stretch my budget system to perform at a level that I find satisfying without spending a ton of cash. I wish I had the cash for better amps and a pre/pro now but for what I spent per performance dollar I really cannot complain.

As for Atmos today was my first time hearing it in a commercial theater and I thought it was fantastic! That Atmos demo was nuts how the sound just puts you in a bubble of 3D sound! There is a ton of speakers to make this happen but I think it will actually get me back to going to a matinee every now and again! It is a good chunk of cash to get it for the home but in a few years it will be a lot cheaper and hopefully more movies come out in Atmos/DTSX.
post #19533 of 24949 Old 03-10-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Now playing, The Boy. The semi autobiographical tale of Oink.

post #19534 of 24949 Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Save your 2 hrs for The Return of Billy Bacon and his Forbidden Pigs.
Huh, it's not coming up on IMDB...
post #19535 of 24949 Old 03-10-2016, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5109 Post(s)
Liked: 11779
Quote:
I guess I perceive that my system should be performing a bit better or tuning it so it sounds right to my ears.

Years ago I heard my L/Rs perform beautifully with my friends McIntosh amps/processor. I knew then these Klipschs could sound great! But at the time I couldn't afford anything like that and I was living in shared wall places so my Klipschs went into storage for a while till I can rent a home to really use them.

I never forgot how they can really sound so I thought I should keep these and add more Klipschs as I go on with life. I know AVS folks say Klipschs are high efficient speakers and they don't need extra power but my ears say other wise.

I think now the speakers don't strain and my amps aren't straining to keep up. The only time I have noticed my X1000s cooling fans speed up from idle (95% they are idling) was from watching Mad Max Fury Road. I felt the air on my neck (amps are behind my seating area) from the cooling fans. So then I knew this soundtrack really pushed the amps and speakers good. I guess in a way I am trying to stretch my budget system to perform at a level that I find satisfying without spending a ton of cash. I wish I had the cash for better amps and a pre/pro now but for what I spent per performance dollar I really cannot complain.

As for Atmos today was my first time hearing it in a commercial theater and I thought it was fantastic! That Atmos demo was nuts how the sound just puts you in a bubble of 3D sound! There is a ton of speakers to make this happen but I think it will actually get me back to going to a matinee every now and again! It is a good chunk of cash to get it for the home but in a few years it will be a lot cheaper and hopefully more movies come out in Atmos/DTSX.
You buying Macs, BSZ? Now we're talking. Once you go Macs, you never go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Huh, it's not coming up on IMDB...
It's actually the name of a band. They have a great song called "Battle With The Bottle." Let me see if I can find it... Found it.

oink, stevew24963 and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #19536 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You buying Macs, BSZ? Now we're talking. Once you go Macs, you never go back.

It's actually the name of a band. They have a great song called "Battle With The Bottle." Let me see if I can find it... Found it.

https://youtu.be/nvnZ6pQ0UHs

I wish!
post #19537 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Watched Freaks of Nature last night. Good cast and Vanessa Hudgens is sweet as a Georgia peach.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #19538 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Today is a very beautiful Friday! Although I saw something in the road today that was horrible. I heard a car tag a Lotus Exige as I was going home from errands. The guy was livid and I would be upset too if I was having that kind of Friday. I felt bad for the car too.
post #19539 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Literally 4 inches of rain here since last night, 4 more by tomorrow. #SpringBreak
post #19540 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Like previously stated, I'm in the process of helping a co-worker design and install his first HT setup. I'm not exaggerating when I say that his excitement is driving me bonkers. I remember how it used to feel to unbox speakers and components.....and I miss it. I've been pretty content with my own system after I finally made the jump into the projector realm......but I've got to do something.......SOON. Of course, Atmos is at the forefront of my dilemma and my initial intent was to just drop 2k or so on a new Denon to replace my 3808...............However, Emotiva and/or the idea of separates has slowly started to make its way into my brain.
Budget?

Quote:
Oink (or anybody that has input on this), why should I go the separates route? As it stands, I watch movies at -11 or so and there is plenty of juice left in the tank. Is it really worth the investment when I'm not hurting for power??
FWIW, it has been my experience the amps in AVRs, when compared to my Emotiva for example, lack in a blind listening test and I think this is a general rule regarding Separates vs. AVRs.
AVR amps tend to be too warm, too muffled, too unfocused.
Great HT sound isn't about decibels, it's about tightness, clarity, fidelity.

Cabo and I have the new Marantz 7702mkII pre/pro.
It does all the newest formats and is as future-proof as anything available right now.
So far, I (and I think Cabo too) have been pleased with its performance...it's around $2K.

Before this I had the venerable Onkyo Pro 885 for 10 years.
A rock and a solid performer even to this day (I've got a used one if anyone is interested).

Quote:
Buying a high-end receiver and then using it as just a pre/pro seems like a misuse of funds,
It's also a waste of electricity...most AVR amps can't actually be turned off in pre/pro mode (Denon 4520 is an example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Now playing, The Boy. The semi autobiographical tale of Oink.

https://youtu.be/Gg-esQyvoAg
Well, I did help finance this movie...
stevew24963 likes this.
post #19541 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Literally 4 inches of rain here since last night, 4 more by tomorrow. #SpringBreak

You guys are getting slammed with storms! Stay dry and stay safe!
stevew24963 likes this.
post #19542 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Today is a very beautiful Friday! Although I saw something in the road today that was horrible. I heard a car tag a Lotus Exige as I was going home from errands. The guy was livid and I would be upset too if I was having that kind of Friday. I felt bad for the car too.
Poor lotus,those are like karts with a roof. It is a beautiful day here,low 80's, breezy and sunny.Briefly jumped in the pool this morning,not warm enough for me though my son and his friends are in every night for the past week.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19543 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Poor lotus,those are like karts with a roof. It is a beautiful day here,low 80's, breezy and sunny.Briefly jumped in the pool this morning,not warm enough for me though my son and his friends are in every night for the past week.

Nice a swim sounds good!

Yeah that Lotus was a beautiful metallic dark red. You could tell the guy detailed it for hours before hitting the road.

Here I what I am watching now! Finally got it in BD at target for $5!
stevew24963 likes this.
post #19544 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It is a beautiful day here,low 80's, breezy and sunny.Briefly jumped in the pool this morning,not warm enough for me though my son and his friends are in every night for the past week.
Just so you know...we hate you during the winter.

Quote:

A classic.
post #19545 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Nice a swim sounds good!

Yeah that Lotus was a beautiful metallic dark red. You could tell the guy detailed it for hours before hitting the road.

Great movie,I saw it on something a few weeks ago.The abuse and neglect of that poor Ferrari still brings a tear to my eye.
oink, GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #19546 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great movie,I saw it on something a few weeks ago.The abuse and neglect of that poor Ferrari still brings a tear to my eye.

I always cringe when that car goes flying! My dad would have thrown me after the Ferrari!
oink and stevew24963 like this.
post #19547 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
You don't want that car. Too small. Your new Mac amps won't fit.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #19548 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ha I have my SuV to tow the Macs around! That little lotus was pretty though sans the rear end damage.
post #19549 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Side note, new house pool is heated I discovered. Cement pond is calling almost as loudly as mixed drinks.
post #19550 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
They did the same thing with Saturn 3, with the expansion of home video some marketing decisions were made to change home video versions. There was also a time when HBO wouldn't show anything R rated until prime time. I suspect there are other films that have been altered if I went digging.
I am probably the 6th person still left alive to have seen Saturn 3 theatrically. Trying to remember which Farrah boob was partially exposed?
Quote:
I thought about this flick but I kinda pass on Kristen Stew. She did surprise me with Snow White and the Huntsman though. But your description gives me pause. I will watch on a slow week but tomorrow I have a date with Natasha Hendridge (sp?)!

Watts up!
I like seeing more experienced folks lending a hand for help!

I have heard of that but I wanted to ask. I also remember that I am 'gaining' a couple of decibels more but I notice that tweeter fire like it should! I guess I 'feel'/'hear a certain difference and that is all that matters!
I thought Stewart was a dead fish in Huntsman. I like her in American Ultra. AU is not THAT bad. Wabo doesn't like to see KS in anything outside his beloved Twilight movies. Hint - he is probably wearing this today.
Spoiler!

Quote:
The next one looks good especially with the hot girl triad!
I like the way that sounds
Quote:
Like previously stated, I'm in the process of helping a co-worker design and install his first HT setup. I'm not exaggerating when I say that his excitement is driving me bonkers. I remember how it used to feel to unbox speakers and components.....and I miss it. I've been pretty content with my own system after I finally made the jump into the projector realm......but I've got to do something.......SOON. Of course, Atmos is at the forefront of my dilemma and my initial intent was to just drop 2k or so on a new Denon to replace my 3808...............However, Emotiva and/or the idea of separates has slowly started to make its way into my brain.

Oink (or anybody that has input on this), why should I go the separates route? As it stands, I watch movies at -11 or so and there is plenty of juice left in the tank. Is it really worth the investment when I'm not hurting for power?? Also, does anybody have the XMC-1? Is it ready for Atmos? First glance tells me that it's not (at least not yet).

Buying a high-end receiver and then using it as just a pre/pro seems like a misuse of funds, however, it appears that a few of you have went this route. Mind sharing the reason why?? Any help would be appreciated.....
I think it depends on your speakers. If you have LCR's that can take 250+ watts, you should be able to hear a difference getting fed adequate watts. My side surrounds are 250 watt capable 90db sensitive, I could not tell much of a difference from a 115 watt AVR or feeding them full watts when I used to have them as my LCR's. My current LCR's are 98db sensitive, 600 watt capable. At that sensitivity MOST people will say I do not NEED separate amps to play them loud. But it is not about playing them loud. I like to think of it as putting premium gas in a sports car, or using regular. Is much more responsive with premium and has an extra pep. Is it worth the price of the more expensive gas - or AMPS for the speaker? Depends on the speaker and level of enthusiast you are. I recently went from 325 watts to my mains to now a little higher at 400-600 watts and that jump made a difference for the speakers to really come alive.

I have amps to power my speakers. Marantz prepro(7702mk2) is the same price as the AVR (built in amps) but has a little better processing and XLR connections. If I did not have amps I would weigh it differently between a pre pro plus the price of amps and an AVR plus maybe some amps down the road to power the mains. Is nice to power the mains with a separate amp as I could tell a slight difference in my surrounds after the AVR lost the load of the main speaker. (before I had my prepro) What speakers do you have or are going to?
Quote:
Watched Freaks of Nature last night. Good cast and Vanessa Hudgens is sweet as a Georgia peach.
She has nice skin. You would think if she is going to drop so low to do that movie she might show more skin?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room

Last edited by GoCaboNow; 03-11-2016 at 11:45 AM.
post #19551 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Side note, new house pool is heated I discovered. Cement pond is calling almost as loudly as mixed drinks.
Both are in order. Congrats!

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #19552 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Trying to remember which Farrah boob was partially exposed?
Left.

Speaking of boobs, has anyone other than me wondered why pictures of women's nipples get censored but men's nipples don't? They can show every part of a woman's boob that is different but not the part that is the same.

Spoiler!
post #19553 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
LOL....yeah, that.

Quote:
That little lotus was pretty though sans the rear end damage.
Ouch, the engine is in the rear.

Quote:
On my way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Left.
IIRC, very nice indeed.
post #19554 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sweet man!

Quote:
LOL....yeah, that.

Ouch, the engine is in the rear.

On my way...

IIRC, very nice indeed.

Yeah there was some decent damage and the person that hit the car is in for some insurance rate hike!
post #19555 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
You guys are getting slammed with storms! Stay dry and stay safe!
I watch the radar maps and do my errands during the breaks.

Yesterday the project was to replace my micro-kitchen fluorescents with a LED lamp. I even had to check back with the guy at the hardware store because I thought it didn't actually have LEDs but they are that strip with little yellow things on it. Thing is the instructions NEVER mention that nor point to them in the diagrams. The guy at the store told I wasn't the first one who was confused over that. That one panel does the job though and two would require wearing shades in the kitchen.

BTW, any of you have pre-1963 homes and how did (or not) deal without grounds in the wiring? Redoing wiring can be a bit pricey these days. Seems the code came into effect sometime in 1962 and was due to people getting TVs and other things that needed proper ground.
post #19556 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watch the radar maps and do my errands during the breaks.

Yesterday the project was to replace my micro-kitchen fluorescents with a LED lamp. I even had to check back with the guy at the hardware store because I thought it didn't actually have LEDs but they are that strip with little yellow things on it. Thing is the instructions NEVER mention that nor point to them in the diagrams. The guy at the store told I wasn't the first one who was confused over that. That one panel does the job though and two would require wearing shades in the kitchen.

BTW, any of you have pre-1963 homes and how did (or not) deal without grounds in the wiring? Redoing wiring can be a bit pricey these days. Seems the code came into effect sometime in 1962 and was due to people getting TVs and other things that needed proper ground.
My moms house in Ohio is going to have all the electrical redone soon. Besides the kitchen she had remodeled she only has a few 3 prong outlets. I need to ask her how much but I know it isn't cheap to bring up to code.

Oh for the vinyl lovers out there Record Store day is April 16th and here is the link to their RSD releases that day! http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

I am for sure buying the John Wick OST and the StarWars Picture Disc!

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 03-11-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #19557 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Ha I have my SuV to tow the Macs around! That little lotus was pretty though sans the rear end damage.
Lets go shopping and load that SUV up. They're not small amps so you might have to put the second row seats down. Also, bring your pool boy with us. He'll do the lifting.

Quote:
Sounds fantastic. Where's the pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I am probably the 6th person still left alive to have seen Saturn 3 theatrically. Trying to remember which Farrah boob was partially exposed?

I thought Stewart was a dead fish in Huntsman. I like her in American Ultra. AU is not THAT bad. Wabo doesn't like to see KS in anything outside his beloved Twilight movies. Hint - he is probably wearing this today.
Spoiler!

I like the way that sounds

I think it depends on your speakers. If you have LCR's that can take 250+ watts, you should be able to hear a difference getting fed adequate watts. My side surrounds are 250 watt capable 90db sensitive, I could not tell much of a difference from a 115 watt AVR or feeding them full watts when I used to have them as my LCR's. My current LCR's are 98db sensitive, 600 watt capable. At that sensitivity MOST people will say I do not NEED separate amps to play them loud. But it is not about playing them loud. I like to think of it as putting premium gas in a sports car, or using regular. Is much more responsive with premium and has an extra pep. Is it worth the price of the more expensive gas - or AMPS for the speaker? Depends on the speaker and level of enthusiast you are. I recently went from 325 watts to my mains to now a little higher at 400-600 watts and that jump made a difference for the speakers to really come alive.

I have amps to power my speakers. Marantz prepro(7702mk2) is the same price as the AVR (built in amps) but has a little better processing and XLR connections. If I did not have amps I would weigh it differently between a pre pro plus the price of amps and an AVR plus maybe some amps down the road to power the mains. Is nice to power the mains with a separate amp as I could tell a slight difference in my surrounds after the AVR lost the load of the main speaker. (before I had my prepro) What speakers do you have or are going to?

She has nice skin. You would think if she is going to drop so low to do that movie she might show more skin?
There's no such thing as too much power.

Yeah, Hudgens needs to let those things breathe.

AU really is that terrible. Cabo must have gotten some bad bacon from The Pig. Here's my view on Twilight.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Left.

Speaking of boobs, has anyone other than me wondered why pictures of women's nipples get censored but men's nipples don't? They can show every part of a woman's boob that is different but not the part that is the same.

Spoiler!
That's why I always carry my handy-dandy NR with me. Never know when you're gonna need it.

Spoiler!
oink, BornSlippyZ and Ken.F like this.

post #19558 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah there was some decent damage and the person that hit the car is in for some insurance rate hike!
Both will...that's the way car insurance works these days.

Quote:
AU really is that terrible.
You keep saying that...of course, it only means I'll love it while I watch tomorrow night.

Quote:
Cabo must have gotten some bad bacon from The Pig.
We Oregonians are NOT savages, LW.
post #19559 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Left.

Spoiler!
Lol, good point. I never thought about it that way and - Fraqing yellow tape!

Never thought I would ever say it but we need to be more like the French on this subject.

I am the only one showing nipple on my avatar so maybe we are repressed when it comes to male nippleage as well?
Quote:
Lets go shopping and load that SUV up. They're not small amps so you might have to put the second row seats down. Also, bring your pool boy with us. He'll do the lifting.

Sounds fantastic. Where's the pics?

There's no such thing as too much power.

Yeah, Hudgens needs to let those things breathe.

AU really is that terrible. Cabo must have gotten some bad bacon from The Pig. Here's my view on Twilight.

Spoiler!

That's why I always carry my handy-dandy NR with me. Never know when you're gonna need it.

Spoiler!
Slipster has a pool boy, in Minnesota?

I never tire of that Blade pic. I would like to see the movie where Blade hunts down all the Twilight vamps and dispatches them...Blade style.

JA does not look like this anymore. IMO, she is slipping. Maybe we will see her in some trashy, European, horror movie soon?
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #19560 of 24949 Old 03-11-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Both will...that's the way car insurance works these days.

You keep saying that...of course, it only means I'll love it while I watch tomorrow night.

We Oregonians are NOT savages, LW.

So basically for him to come out on top (money wise) he would have to sue her for negligence if she doesn't claim fault?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page