October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 721 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8705Likes

post #21601 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 01:57 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
+1..I have my recorder ready for this one...it's a stupid sci-fi movie,but it's a fun stupid sci-fi movie.
Those are the best kind! I rarely watch anything else.

Started my marathon this morning with this classic, to pay a little homage to Gene Wilder...

1. Young Frankenstein

As an interesting sidenote, I'll add this article by Floyd Toole which I think helps to explain why some movie soundtracks (esp. older ones) may sound too bright or shrill on current home audio sound systems...

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17839

In a nutshell, the rooms used for mixing and mastering the movie soundtracks follow something called the "X-curve", which artificially attenuates the higher frequencies, and to some extent, also the bass.

Every room is different, but the typical in-room response of an anechoically flat speaker (preferable for music) will generally look something like the red curve on this plot. IOW, a little boosted in the bass (due to room gain at lower frequencies), and somewhat rolled off in the higher frequencies...

Compare this to SMPTE's recommended theater response curve, aka the X-curve...

The difference is fairly dramatic. Compensating for this difference requires some type of EQ, or at the very least, a separate bass and treble control to better adjust the speakers' in-room response/tonal balance.

The practice of using different room curves for music and movie mastering is hopefully changing, btw, so that both will sound good on a standard set of speakers. In the meantime, some type of EQ or tone control can be very handy to compensate for the differences in recordings.

The same principles above can also be applied to headphones. I use a DBX graphic EQ to correct the tonal balance on my AKG K553s. But most audiophiles use either software-based EQs, or the EQ/tone adjustments built into their DAC amps.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-02-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21602 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Watched Halloween (1978) last night. First time viewing it in maybe 15-16 years. Still an awesome movie.
post #21603 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
Anyone else have trouble with Monolith Monsters last night? About 37 minutes into the movie the audio quit and the video was frozen. I got to look at this frame for 4 minutes. When it resumed playing it was in the middle of a different scene.

post #21604 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Watched Holidays last night. I enjoyed the format. Basically it consists of 8 short films each one taking place on a holiday. I believe they were Valentines Day, St.Patricks, Easter, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Halloween, Christmas & New Years. Each story written and directed by someone new. Christmas was done by Kevin Smith. I would recommend it. It was a fun viewing (Horror/comedy) with some shorts being stronger than others. Its on Netflix right now!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4419364/
post #21605 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
#October2016HorrorMarathon

1. Monsters vs Aliens (aka Susan). Timeless classic for the family. I'd love to see a sequel to this but the Halloween themed shorts will have to do. While not a strict horror movie it's a great throwback to the 50's style monster movies. I think the audio is great and the art style is wonderful. My daughter, age 5, loves it as much as I do.

2. An American Werewolf In London. Not much to add about this awesome movie. It's nearly perfect and still holds up. Baker's effects are gorgeous. It's funny, scary, bloody, and fast paced. It's pretty much the king of Werewolf movies in my opinion.

3. Attack on Titan. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm an anime fan despite being 40 years old. This is a live action version of the popular animated series. I'd concede it's not a strict horror but the Titans are creepy as hell and there is plenty of blood and gore throughout. Like many anime adaptations this focuses on a group of kids rising up through the military in a particularly gruesome set of events. This movie is heavy on drama with some great action sequences and really needs a massive budget to properly display what's going on.

4. Acolytes. Twisty turny thriller from down under. A teenage trio blackmail a suspected serial killer to take care of a bully. To tell more would spoil the ride but I think it's a good one. It has a similar feel to Found and I Am Not A Serial Killer with its exploration of certain coming of age motifs and dash of Deadgirl.

5. Inside. This is my second viewing of this movie since its release a few years ago and it's still fresh. This movie sticks with me due to the graphic nature of some key scenes. It still managed to surprise me and I guess I missed a particular scene (cops come over) the first time because I had to back it up to be sure and was terrified.

6. Goosebumps. Super fun flick to enjoy with the family. Ventriloquist dolls scare the hell out of the little one now.

7. Anguish. Slow burning tale with a paranormal spin on mental disorders. It's gritty and moody. Worth a watch with the wives or those who like a spooky atmospheric movie vs the blood soaked entries in the genre.

8. Terrortory. A low budget anthology movie based on some urban legends in and around a patch of land. Stuff like drones attacking hikers and a siren of sorts. Watchable but not rewatchable imho.

9. Scooby Doo. I'm a fan of these live action versions of the cartoon classic and the kid likes them too. Zany and good hearted with a couple of jokes for the adults. I love the casting and want to see more. If you're a fan of Mystery Inc., you'd do well to check the recent animated series. It's full of horror and occult references.

10. The Childhood of a Leader. I can't figure out why this is on so many horror lists. Maybe the genre is getting watered down. Not a terrible movie by any stretch and the music is great. Not what I was expecting at all.

11. Phantasm Ravager. The Phantasm series is one my all time favorites. It's such an epic journey with great characters and a possibly one the greatest scores in all of cinema, up there with Halloween's synths. This entry isn't Don's and it shows. Not to say I didn't like it it's just for hardcore Phantasm fans only. The movie itself is very DIY but has loads of heart.

12. Dead Silence. James Wan is maybe the best modern director in the genre. He gets it. This movie, while not anything groundbreaking is still a high quality evil doll movie. My main draw is the audio. It's got awesome effects that really play into "throwing your voice."

13. The VVitch. I like this movie a lot. VVhen it made the rounds it was the end all be all of horror. I'd disagree there. It's still a fantastic horror movie, creepy as hell and beautifully vvritten. For fans of old vvitch tales it is the king of the genre. Fans of Mr. Zombie's Lords of Salem should love this. Turn out the lights, crank the sound, and let the VVitch consume you.

14. Der Samurai. A mostly linear slasher in the vein of Manhunter but with a huge helping of homoerotic messages. Parallels between man and wolf are drawn along with a transgender samurai sword. The big message revolves around us being caged by society. Super weird but still good.

15. We Need To Talk About Kevin. Visually stunning for starters, this tale, told in time hopping flashbacks involves a mother coping with a tragedy brought on by her son. Tilda crushed it in this. As a parent it's truly horrific. Sit down with the wife and give it a go.

16. Donkey Punch. This thriller is pretty middle of the road but not terrible. A trio of young ladies go out with some sailors for a cruise on the sea. Drugs, sex, and a terrible accident ensue followed by a cat and mouse game. On a boat. It had a couple of shocking kills to keep it notable.

ApolloCreed likes this.

Last edited by darthrsg; 10-07-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #21606 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Anyone else have trouble with Monolith Monsters last night? About 37 minutes into the movie the audio quit and the video was frozen. I got to look at this frame for 4 minutes. When it resumed playing it was in the middle of a different scene.

No problem here...i recorded the movie OTA w/o a glitch here in Florida.The PQ was superb,light years better than my U-TOOB copy.Sorry to hear you had problems (cableco glitch??) as MM will probably not be shown again for a long time.
post #21607 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 739
I did sign up for 247 Horror and finished off the movie I started the other night. It was someone's attempt at the Italian Giallo genre and not very good though it did still have an arc. The service will provide the fill-ins for the month.

Hulu added a bunch more horror yesterday including "Poltergeist I, II and III". They also added "Troll" and "Troll 2" for those who really want to slum it.
post #21608 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 545
2. Baskin (FTV) (in Turkish, with subtitles)
Turkish policemen get a call about Satanic goings-on at a remote old building, and end up in a hellish nightmare world where the past & present seem to intersect. Baskin is not for the weak of heart in any sense of the word, it possesses a slippery and brutal logic all of its own that makes it feel like if David Lynch had directed a Hellraiser movie. The languid opening act and foreign language may turn off some viewers, but those who stick around for the second act will not be disappointed. I haven't experienced such raw and visceral dread of the "bad, dark place" since watching "The Descent" and that's pretty high praise. The fear factor peaks a bit early and the third act loses some steam as things devolve into more traditional ritual torture, but newcomer Mehmet Cerrahoglu is impossible to look away from even as he makes our skin crawl. Many of the ideas in Baskin feel a bit undercooked and could have used some fleshing out (no pun intended), but that's what sequels are for, right?

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2016 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Boy (FTV)
2. Baskin (FTV)

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #21609 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post
Watched Holidays last night. I enjoyed the format. Basically it consists of 8 short films each one taking place on a holiday. I believe they were Valentines Day, St.Patricks, Easter, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Halloween, Christmas & New Years. Each story written and directed by someone new. Christmas was done by Kevin Smith. I would recommend it. It was a fun viewing (Horror/comedy) with some shorts being stronger than others. Its on Netflix right now!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4419364/
Just completed The Invitation. This was pleasurable and was much more of a psych thriller. I recommend it for sure.

1. Holidays 79% rotten pumpkin
2. The Invitation 84% rotten pumpkins
post #21610 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post
Just completed The Invitation. This was pleasurable and was much more of a psych thriller. I recommend it for sure.

1. Holidays 79% rotten pumpkin
2. The Invitation 84% rotten pumpkins
Holidays was cheesy fun. The Invitation was really good. I too recommended it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #21611 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 04:18 PM

I hope you guys get to see Tales of Halloween this month. It's got the spirit of the holiday for days.

Sent From A Payphone Under A Bridge
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #21612 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I hope you guys get to see Tales of Halloween this month. It's got the spirit of the holiday for days.

On Netflix?

post #21613 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
On Netflix?

I think I saw it on Vudu or Amazon.

post #21614 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I saw it on Vudu or Amazon.

Worth a rental?

post #21615 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Worth a rental?

If anthology style movies are your taste and you liked Trick R Treat I'd say yes. It's in my rotation for stuff to play on Halloween night.

asere and astrofool like this.
post #21616 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Watched Halloween (1978) last night. First time viewing it in maybe 15-16 years. Still an awesome movie.
I agree. I always watch that on Halloween night
BornSlippyZ and astrofool like this.
post #21617 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Amazon actually has a decent amount of Horror flicks to choose from this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #21618 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I'm going to try and watch again the 1978 I Spit on Your Grave. It's been awhile since I saw it and I now own the bluray.

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #21619 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4580 Post(s)
Liked: 10670
Watched Slither last night. Been ages since I've seen it. Forgot how much fun this movie is. Fantastic cast too. The mayor cracked me up. The Strain and 2 hour season finale of FTWD tonight.
Bob McLaughlin and GoCaboNow like this.

post #21620 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Tales of Halloween is on my list this year. I plan on viewing that. SyFy is doing a nice #SYFY31DOH with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remakes on. Nothing like the original though.
post #21621 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really like seeing the gathering of folks participating! TOH (The Horned One) approves!

Here is the AMC FearFest schedule starting on October 13, http://ihorror.com/the-2016-annual-a....9kVVgxlU.gbpl

They are replaying all The Walking Dead shows up until the new season premiere.
I am more interested in the movies and there is a lot of them on as well!
The only issue with AMC is the movies are edited.

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #21622 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 90
2. The Conjuring 2 - Really liked the first Conjuring and think this sequel does it justice. Nothing we haven't seen already in this sequel but still a good solid mix of suspense and jump scares. If you guys liked the first movie you should give this one a watch too.
post #21623 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
No problem here...i recorded the movie OTA w/o a glitch here in Florida.The PQ was superb,light years better than my U-TOOB copy.Sorry to hear you had problems (cableco glitch??) as MM will probably not be shown again for a long time.
Amazon has it on DVD, if you really love it...

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #21624 of 22856 Old 10-02-2016, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4580 Post(s)
Liked: 10670
Quote:

Is that you in your Silver Shamrock mask? I love it.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #21625 of 22856 Old 10-03-2016, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 3914
Quote:
I'm going to try and watch again the 1978 I Spit on Your Grave. It's been awhile since I saw it and I now own the bluray.

The sequels aren't bad, too.

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
post #21626 of 22856 Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
The sequels aren't bad, too.
The remake was good but not as good as original. How was part 2 after the remake one?

post #21627 of 22856 Old 10-03-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:
The only issue with AMC is the movies are edited.

Yeah it kinda defeats the purpose a bit but I do find that it is a decent alternative if you ran out of sources of horror.

asere likes this.
post #21628 of 22856 Old 10-03-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 798
So this year I'm doing this little challenge with my daughter. We started it with

1- The Shallows saturday - great little thriller, and except for the first attack scene (shark appearing inside the wave, poor introduction imo and poorly done) that beast was so real at times we forgot he was cgi. I loved the film, and I hate Ryan Reynolds . 8.5 great white teeth out of 10.

And yesterday
2- 31 on iTunes. Honestly I expected more from Rob Zombie. Not one of his best but still enjoyable. Couple of nice scenes (chainsaws, Doom-head guy...) and I always enjoy his world of depraved and higly deranged characters. It could have gone deeper with some of them, I would have liked to know more about this sick bunch . 6 powdered wigs out of 10.

Tonight I think we're gonna go with the Neon Demon...
GoCaboNow likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #21629 of 22856 Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 3914
Quote:
The remake was good but not as good as original. How was part 2 after the remake one?

I liked the sequel of the remake better because it wasn't a remake - the original is still the best. Some good "revenge contraptions" in the sequel.
asere likes this.

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
post #21630 of 22856 Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Amazon has it on DVD, if you really love it...
Hi TP,ya i know Amazon has MM but the DVD's sell for anywhere from ~$9.50 used to ~$13 new.BD copies are running ~$20 as of today when i checked the prices.
Much better to copy it from an OTA broadcast cuz it's Free and the PQ of the copy i made is super excellent,crisp clear pic,don't think a bought DVD would have been noticeably better.
Another good thing about copying it OTA to the HDD of my DVDR is that now that it's on the HDD i can easily make a new copy if the disc i dubbed MM to ever fails....would be hard pressed to make a new copy from a bought DVD if the disc fails.

Last edited by greaser; 10-03-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion