October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 727 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8898Likes

post #21781 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Don't you guys think Amazon has a better selection of horror and maybe other genres compared to Netflix?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21782 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Don't you guys think Amazon has a better selection of horror and maybe other genres compared to Netflix?

Right now yes. Netflix has been bad lately. If you like haunted house movies check out Dead Room, one of those under radar releases that's really great. It's probably the best thing Netflix has along with Darling.

Sent From A Payphone Under A Bridge
post #21783 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:

This year Amazon has a bit more as far as Horror compared to NF. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #21784 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 PM

Also you Shudder users need to check out WNUF Halloween Special.

post #21785 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Finally caught up... Looks like there's been some good horror-viewin so far. Hopefully everyone made it through the big wind in the east relatively unscathed.

My viewing this month is probably going to be a fairly mixed bag of different styles and genres including dark fantasy, SF, horror, mystery, suspense, disaster, animation, older films and other stuff, like this...

2. Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010, BD, FTV)

This was pretty fun.

The first (and only) empress of China is about to be coronated, when the officials in charge of preparations begin to spontaneously combust. The empress has no choice but to turn to a former nemesis (detective Dee) to help solve the riddle of the mysterious deaths. Not really a horror film per se, but a pretty good murder mystery/action flick by Tsui Hark in the Sherlock Holmes mold, with alot of plot twists, crazy stunts, wire-fu, and some very mean-tempered ungulates. Not a buy for me, but a good rental.

There's also a 2013 prequel that I haven't seen called Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-12-2016 at 02:03 AM.
post #21786 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I started to watch Darling on Netflix and put it on hold because the movie made the entire house rattle. I mean the room is 5200cf and while I've experienced near field before this time other rooms like the kids room and dining room rattled the walls and picture frames. Has anyone seen this movie? I plan on watching it completely when it's not late to not wake up family.

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #21787 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I started to watch Darling on Netflix and put it on hold because the movie made the entire house rattle. I mean the room is 5200cf and while I've experienced near field before this time other rooms like the kids room and dining room rattled the walls and picture frames. Has anyone seen this movie? I plan on watching it completely when it's not late to not wake up family.

Darling is amazing.

post #21788 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Darling is amazing.

How was the lfe for you?

post #21789 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
How was the lfe for you?

Great. Overall the score was fantastic considering the movie is very low on the dialogue. Definitely worth a watch another under the radar surprise.

asere likes this.
post #21790 of 23012 Old 10-10-2016, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great. Overall the score was fantastic considering the movie is very low on the dialogue. Definitely worth a watch another under the radar surprise.

Yeah like I said I had to put it on hold after the really low frequency because the kids woke up. I mean I was watching it at mv -25. I'd hate to see what would have happened even lower.

post #21791 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 565
11. Terror Train
A fraternity prank taken way to far sets up a revenge scenario three years later, as a costume party on a moving train becomes the perfect setting to bump off college kids. Terror Train was pitched as "Halloween on a train", and while it's not nearly as classic as Halloween, it does have a young Jamie Lee Curtis and a masked killer. What's unique about this killer is that his mask is always changing--it's a costume party so he always dons the costume of the last victim.

In addition, we get none other than a young David Copperfield playing a magician (what else) who dazzles his audience with several illusions and close-up magic, for no other reason than the fact that one of the producers liked magic. Still, it somehow works given the theme of the film that nothing is as it seems, and we're kept guessing right up until the final reveal, which is pretty spectacular.

My only complaint about this movie is that it tends to lag in the middle third when the students realize they are being bumped off one by one. Instead of ramping up the action, everything seems to just slow down as the train conductor takes more control of the plot. Things pick up again in the final third when the reigns are returned to Jamie Lee Curtis and the suddenly panicky pretty boy heel Hart Bochner. 80's-tastic horror!

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2016 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Boy (FTV) 3.5/5
2. Baskin (FTV) 4/5
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (FTV) 3.5/5
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane (FTV) 4/5
5. The Watcher in the Woods (FTV) 3/5
6. Slugs (FTV) 3.5/5
7. Clown (FTV) 4/5
8. The Visit (FTV) 2/5
9. Cell (FTV) 3/5
10. American Mary (FTV) 3.5/5
11. Terror Train

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #21792 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I didn't even think about it till I was driving my kids to school. How I use to ride my bikes like the kids on Stranger Things did with no helmets and riding far from home. I also hanged out with one of my neighbors that turned his whole garage into a RC car/plane workshop. I was barely 8 years old and I thought that guy was just really cool to be with. He wasn't married and he lived alone. These days he would be the 'weirdo'.

Yep, same here. I used to ride my bike all over town as a grade schooler, no helmet or even a cell phone.

As a coach for grade school age girls, and up, we have to fill out back ground checks, sign extensive behavioral guidelines and pass concussion training. It's all good. You can't be too safe with kids but is way more legislation than what I had in youth sports -and no guarantee that the adults can't still be monsters.

#17 Pandemic 2016 FTV. The good news is this stars Rachel Nichols. The bad news is she wears a bulky cdc suit for most of the movie. The first hour was better than I thought it would be. A lot of recognizable actors and more brutality than I expected. However, poor writing finally catches up for the last act as repeated head scratching moves by the players defeat my ability to care. 3 Head Pummeling Zombies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
11. Terror Train
A fraternity prank taken way to far sets up a revenge scenario three years later, as a costume party on a moving train becomes the perfect setting to bump off college kids. Terror Train was pitched as "Halloween on a train", and while it's not nearly as classic as Halloween, it does have a young Jamie Lee Curtis and a masked killer. What's unique about this killer is that his mask is always changing--it's a costume party so he always dons the costume of the last victim.

In addition, we get none other than a young David Copperfield playing a magician (what else) who dazzles his audience with several illusions and close-up magic, for no other reason than the fact that one of the producers liked magic. Still, it somehow works given the theme of the film that nothing is as it seems, and we're kept guessing right up until the final reveal, which is pretty spectacular.

My only complaint about this movie is that it tends to lag in the middle third when the students realize they are being bumped off one by one. Instead of ramping up the action, everything seems to just slow down as the train conductor takes more control of the plot. Things pick up again in the final third when the reigns are returned to Jamie Lee Curtis and the suddenly panicky pretty boy heel Hart Bochner. 80's-tastic horror!
3 out of 5 stars.
I saw this at original release and thought it was pretty lame. I think I watched this for last years Horrorfest and the 80's-tastic vibe made it funner than I remembered. Lol.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room

Last edited by GoCaboNow; 10-11-2016 at 11:19 AM.
post #21793 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Darling is amazing.

Quote:

Darling was a fine movie, agreed. I watched it in either Aug or Sept and have been contemplating giving it a second viewing this month so that my wife can check it out as well. With regard to the LFE, I'm not sure as I was using the B system that doesn't crank out gobs of bass like the A system does. After seeing your comments Asere, I'll definitely watch it in the appropriate setup next time.

Because time is limited, I'll just throw out a quick list of what I've watched in the last 5 days or so...short reviews will come at a later time.

-Murder Party
-Neon Demon
-Orphan
-The Conjuring
-The Conjuring 2 (but only about halfway through due to time constraints((it was 3 AM at that point))...will be rewatching later)
-The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original version)
-Father's Day (I probably shouldn't even list this as I started it last night but fell asleep about 15 mins in....it was a long day) Will finish it tonight, but it depends on whether or not we're doing the Group Watch of The Thing. That was scheduled for today right??

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #21794 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Darling was a fine movie, agreed. I watched it in either Aug or Sept and have been contemplating giving it a second viewing this month so that my wife can check it out as well. With regard to the LFE, I'm not sure as I was using the B system that doesn't crank out gobs of bass like the A system does. After seeing your comments Asere, I'll definitely watch it in the appropriate setup next time.

Because time is limited, I'll just throw out a quick list of what I've watched in the last 5 days or so...short reviews will come at a later time.

-Murder Party
-Neon Demon
-Orphan
-The Conjuring
-The Conjuring 2 (but only about halfway through due to time constraints((it was 3 AM at that point))...will be rewatching later)
-The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original version)
-Father's Day (I probably shouldn't even list this as I started it last night but fell asleep about 15 mins in....it was a long day) Will finish it tonight, but it depends on whether or not we're doing the Group Watch of The Thing. That was scheduled for today right??
Looks like you have a nice list there. I bought Neon Demon but haven't seen it yet. Did you like it?
And yes please watch Darling with your other set up. It was unbelievable.

post #21795 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Are there any other "good" horror movies similar to The Invitation? GF and I were captivated by it and would love to watch similar/better ones if possible. :c)

Basement | Horrorfest 2015
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er 600X3D | Roku 3 | Pana. BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er 600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
post #21796 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
For green Inferno I liked the main girl. Reminded me of Maggie from TWD, without the southern accent.
You talking about Mrs. Roth? I rented the DVD at Redbox and it was there until recently. They actually have "Conjuring 2" BD at three locations locally as of today.

We're watching "The Thing" tonight right?

Last night was "What We Become", a Danish zombie movie available on Netflix. It's quite bleak compared to a lot of Hollywood zombie films. Three and a half cups of rabbit stew.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #21797 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah guys the Thing is tonight!

post #21798 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still haven't picked up the new Thing BD...

post #21799 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
I still haven't picked up the new Thing BD...

We could post pone till everyone has a copy. But I don't think you have the Shout! Factory copy to partake.

Also did we decide on the Conjuring 2 date?

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension. I too a cue from Darth and watched this via Amazon. I know this film gets heat because you can see the demon. I thought it was great and about time in the series for something new. This one definitely brings in the creep watching this at night! 3 Camcorders

The Conjuring, This movie in my opinion is probably one of the best Horror flicks of the past few years! I know tall order but James Wan really cares about the story, characters and the way the movie is shot! Also this film being really close to a real horror experience! Other than Poltergeist, this is the other film that makes my hair stand up. Maybe because this story is true! Whatever the case, great story telling and the audio will suck you in! 5 Mad Demons!!!!

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-11-2016 at 01:42 PM.
post #21800 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't postpone on my account, I can still just watch my existing copy or run out tonight to pick up the new one.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #21801 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
DVR Alert - Channel Zero series premiere on Syfy tonight.

Has anyone watched Aftermath yet? I recorded the first two episodes but haven't had the chance to watch it yet.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #21802 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 678
If anyone is observing Yom Kippur tonight, please feel free to watch The Thing after the high holiday.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #21803 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah guys the Thing is tonight!

Talk about coincidence, Arclight Hollywood is actually showing it as part of it's scary/ horror movie series tonight.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #21804 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Talk about coincidence, Arclight Hollywood is actually showing it as part of it's scary/ horror movie series tonight.

That is a badass theater! I would actually venture out to see that if I was in CA! You know with everyone being a fan of the movie it will be a great experience!

post #21805 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched 'Phantasm:Ravager'. What can I say "The Tall Man" is back and he's brought his flying silver spheres with him. Rating: 3 high speed sphere pursuits.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #21806 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4635 Post(s)
Liked: 10932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
DVR Alert - Channel Zero series premiere on Syfy tonight.

Has anyone watched Aftermath yet? I recorded the first two episodes but haven't had the chance to watch it yet.
Yeah, I've watched both episodes of Aftermath. It's teetering precariosly close to getting deleted. Which is shame considering a show about multiple apocalypses should be right up my alley.

post #21807 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Maybe because this story is true!
Well... It's true that it's inspired by various reports from the Warrens. Were these stories true in the first place? I guess that's another matter.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a great film that's for sure - but to say I take these stories of exorcisms, good and evil, with a grain of salt is an understatement. Anyway...
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.

Last edited by Morpheo; 10-11-2016 at 02:47 PM.
post #21808 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Yeah, I've watched both episodes of Aftermath. It's teetering precariosly close to getting deleted. Which is shame considering a show about multiple apocalypses should be right up my alley.
That's too bad. The promos I saw looked really good. I usually give shows like this 5 episodes or so to find their footing before passing judgement. Hopefully they can get it straightened out.
post #21809 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Well... It's true that it's inspired by various reports from the Warrens. Were these stories true in the first place? I guess that's another matter.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a great film that's for sure - but to say I take these stories of exorcisms, good and evil, with a grain of salt is an understatement. Anyway...
I see your point. I mean, their stories haven't been scientifically proven (that I know of), but then again science does change as time goes on so one day more people will be able to understand how to measure the phenomena. Plus sometimes witnesses aren't as reliable when they are brought under scrutiny. But their is always that outlier of weird ish going on. Most of these stories are brought on by bad or negative energies in the home. Broken families and abusive situations going seem to coincide with a lot of these stories. But I am not ballsy enough to call their bluff (the Warrens)..I dunno I have seen some horrible ish going on in this world (scarred permanently) and yeah I could say crazy people cause a lot of it. But I do feel things could be driven by forces we don't understand fully. Just my two pennies.
post #21810 of 23012 Old 10-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4635 Post(s)
Liked: 10932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That's too bad. The promos I saw looked really good. I usually give shows like this 5 episodes or so to find their footing before passing judgement. Hopefully they can get it straightened out.
Yeah, I'm the perfect demographic for these Syfy shows as I enjoy most of them. The first episode was fun. The second was tough to get thru. When they picked up the hippie sister it went right in the toilet. I'm thinking of pulling the plug on Timeless and Designated Survivor too. Just so much good tv on right now.

On a more serious note, my copy of The Thing has not arrived yet. I'm starting to get a little grumpy.

Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page