October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 733 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 8220Likes

post #21961 of 22337 Old 10-19-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
19. It Came From Outer Space (FTV) in 3D
I caught this one on Svengoolie a while back and really liked it. The next time I'm at Best Buy I'll look for it. Did you notice Russel "The Professor" Johnson was one of the linemen?
Bob McLaughlin and GoCaboNow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21962 of 22337 Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Right after darth posted about this yesterday I started watching "Babysitter Wanted" for free with the VUDU app on my Blu ray player in the living room. It only played three short ads before starting the movie so that's not too bad. I only watched about 20 minutes of it but there were no ad breaks during that time. Last night I decided to finish watching it in my bedroom but my VUDU app on Android doesn't have a "Movies On Us" section. I found the movie in the VUDU library but the only options to play it were by purchase or rental. Maybe the Android app just needs an update?
I haven't tried any of those selection but would be interested if they are going European Style and only running ads at the beginning. And what ads? Wouldn't be surprised that Walmart is even acting as an ad agency for their vendors to run ads there. Cuts out a middle man.

VUDU recently announced changes including that they've gone to DASH streaming and with that done away with the HD tier so the option are HDX and SD and that folks who bought HD only would get upgraded to HDX on their "owns". I always need to turn down audio a couple DB on VUDU because the audio encodes are higher bitrate too.

My watch for last night was "The Funhouse Massacre" on Showtime (via Hulu). I suppose most of you have seen it. Three drill bits.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #21963 of 22337 Old 10-19-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Excellent, nice group there. Maleficent was very well done and with a touch of horror. When in full Beeotch mode Maleficent could give any horror villain a run for their money. Yet, the scene when she wakes up having been raped of her wings is very humanizing and sad. A pretty gutsy play the director.

Someday I need to complete my red neck, inbred, mutant library and get the Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn flics. I wonder if Inbred is on Netflix?
Inbred lesbian vampires?

Thanks man!
I need to get all the Hills on BD still.I have these on my dvr and started recording back in the summer. I heard the OG '77 one is being released on BD from a 4K transfer soon.

That part of Maleficent losing her wings sucked and I agree it was a very ballsy to add that part in. I didn't know if my daughter could handle it but she loves this movie! My son loves the ending with the Black Dragon breathing fire everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #21964 of 22337 Old 10-19-2016, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
I caught this one on Svengoolie a while back and really liked it. The next time I'm at Best Buy I'll look for it. Did you notice Russel "The Professor" Johnson was one of the linemen?
Good catch there! I watched that whole scene and never made the connection!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #21965 of 22337 Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I haven't tried any of those selection but would be interested if they are going European Style and only running ads at the beginning. And what ads? Wouldn't be surprised that Walmart is even acting as an ad agency for their vendors to run ads there. Cuts out a middle man.

VUDU recently announced changes including that they've gone to DASH streaming and with that done away with the HD tier so the option are HDX and SD and that folks who bought HD only would get upgraded to HDX on their "owns". I always need to turn down audio a couple DB on VUDU because the audio encodes are higher bitrate too.

My watch for last night was "The Funhouse Massacre" on Showtime (via Hulu). I suppose most of you have seen it. Three drill bits.
They placed ads throughout the movie I watched. Mostly ads for the movies on the service. I'd expect to see tide and whatever soon though.

Sent From A Payphone Under A Bridge
post #21966 of 22337 Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
19. It Came From Outer Space (FTV) in 3D
Fantasy writer witnesses a UFO crash in Arizona, the evidence of which is quickly covered by a landslide. Now no one will believe his account of what happened--until it's too late. Written by Ray Bradbury, ICFOS is a neat early sci-fi alien monster film that hits all the notes we now regard as familiar: disbelieving authorities, aliens that take over human bodies, and the postwar atomic west setting. Bradbury's flowing prose makes several of the characters sound like they are saying wondrous little homilies, but the story here is a bit weak and could have used a little more plot. Barbara Rush makes a charming damsel partner for the lead, when she's not screaming at Joshua trees and little boys dressed as robots. The 3D is pretty good beyond the first few minutes which are a bit dizzying, but the prevalence of "day for night" shooting in this makes this a much darker picture than it should be for many of the shots. But hey, only $7.99 at Best Buy for a 3D classic sci-fi-horror film, I can't complain too much.

3 out of 5 stars.
Nice review, Bob. Did not even think about the brightness and how that might effect the 3D. Interesting comment re the day-for-night as well.

I'll have to watch it again, but I've always thought that the B&W photography was pretty good in this. Think I'd give the story a bit higher marks as well. Watching this in such close proximity to Carpenter's Thing, I was struck by many of the parallels between the two films. As you point out, there were a lot of SF "firsts" in this...

Spoiler!

The characters waxing philosophic or poetic is also an idea many other directors have lifted.

The film was obviously very influential on many other movie-makers and SF films that followed. The only other early SF films which are on par with it in that respect are probably Forbidden Planet, and The Day the Earth Stood Still (both excellent films worth checking out as well).

Both SF and movie-making have come a long way since the early 50's when this made. But there's still a lot to appreciate here, esp. those beautiful visuals when "John Putnam" explores the crashed ship. I wish the film had more stuff like that.

ADU
post #21967 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 01:18 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

16. Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971), DVD

From the title, you might think this is a comedy... Far from it. This is actually one of Hammer's more grisly films. And one of their best imo.

The story unfolds in the foggy "backwaters" of London. Jekyll is pursuing cures for various diseases using something he calls "antivirus". But realizes his research is going too slowly, and can't be completed within his lifespan unless he finds some way to extend it. So he decides to look for a cure to aging instead. The method involves female hormones, which aren't easy to come by in 19th Century London, unless you know the right sort of people, or are willing to cut a few corners.

That's the setup. But writer Brian Clemens and director Roy Ward Baker also cleverly weave fictional and historical characters (including Burke and Hare, and the White Chapel Murderer) together into their story, while turning the traditional Jekyll theme on its ear. There is definitely some dark humor here related to the role reversals. And clever camera tricks, and some nudity. But for the most part, this is played "straight", with fine performances by Ralph Bates, Martine Beswick, and the supporting cast.

The video on the Anchor Bay DVD appears to be cut together from two different prints, one fairly sharp and grainy, and the other softer and more faded. But it's good enough to tell the story. The audio is monophonic, but decent. Dialogue is clear and intelligible. The music score (which is used sparingly after the titles) lacks dynamics and is on the brighter side.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-20-2016 at 06:56 PM.
post #21968 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 01:36 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

17. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012, Extended Version), BD, FTV

I'm guessin that most here who want to see this probably already have, so I won't bother with spoilers. This obviously isn't horror. But it's got orcs, goblins, trolls, dwarves, elves, hobbits, wizards, dragons, and big scary dog things, so I'm includin it on my list.

This would've been a great film if it had been made before LOTR, shot on film, and used more practical FX. It's still probably a good film if you like liberal amounts of CGI, red & blue filtering, and heavy doses of Middle Earth in your movie diet. Unfortunately, that's not me.

Young Bilbo Baggins of the Shire is tricked into going on a quest with some homeless dwarves who want to regain their kingdom from an evil gold-loving dragon named Smaug. On their way, they encounter various menacing creatures (mentioned above) that threaten their goal, acquire some neat elvish weaponry, and also make a few new pals in Rivendell. That's about it.

Not very heady stuff. And normally I'd be into it, except that I'm just not a huge fan of this kind of digital movie-making.

Bob McLaughlin likes this.

ADU
post #21969 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

17. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012, Extended Version), BD, FTV

I'm guessin that most here who want to see this probably already have, so I won't bother with spoilers. This obviously isn't horror. But it's got orcs, goblins, trolls, dwarves, elves, hobbits, wizards, dragons, and big scary dog things, so I'm includin it on my list.

This would've been a great film if it had been made before LOTR, shot on film, and used more practical FX. It's still probably a good film if you like liberal amounts of CGI, red & blue filtering, and heavy doses of Middle Earth in your movie diet. Unfortunately, that's not me.

Young Bilbo Baggins of the Shire is tricked into going on a quest with some homeless dwarves who want to regain their kingdom from an evil gold-loving dragon named Smaug. On their way, they encounter various menacing creatures (mentioned above) that threaten their goal, acquire some neat elvish weaponry, and also make a few new pals in Rivendell. That's about it.

Not very heady stuff. And normally I'd be into it, except that I'm just not a huge fan of this kind of digital movie-making.

What is horrific is how The Hobbit book is shorter in length than any of the LOTR books but this was made into three movies, same as LOTR. The Hobbit was one of my favorite books as a youth and I can't remember if I have even seen the 3rd movie?

If done properly there are certainly elements of horror here with the Orcs, goblins, Gollum etc. Speaking of Gollum, the cave scene in the first movie was an excellent use of ceiling speakers to really place the viewer in the cave. I hope more horror movies pick up on this in a creepy way going forward.
ADU and Bob McLaughlin like this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #21970 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

20. Microwave Massacre (FTV)
Construction worker dissatisfied with his wife and her failed attempts at exotic cooking kills two birds with one stone by chopping her up and eating her. Soon he's luring more women to his kitchen and turning them into dinner. Billed as "The Worst Horror Movie Ever Made", Microwave Massacre is actually pretty entertaining for its sheer awfulness. Unlike many bad movies which are simply boring and unfunny, MM made me laugh out loud several times. Gratuitous nudity and bad dialogue abounds, and I'm guessing a smut film cinematographer was involved. Although released in 1983 it was obviously shot in the 70's and couldn't find a distributor until the home video market exploded. Somewhat disconcertingly, the lead role is played by Jackie Vernon, who is best known as the voice of the original "Frosty the Snowman"! Fans of trash cinema will enjoy, and this is the kind of movie you'll want to show to your friends so you can see the look on their faces during all the cringe-worthy moments. Still I can't find it in my heart to give it 3 stars.

2.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2016 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Boy (FTV) 3.5/5
2. Baskin (FTV) 4/5
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (FTV) 3.5/5
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane (FTV) 4/5
5. The Watcher in the Woods (FTV) 3/5
6. Slugs (FTV) 3.5/5
7. Clown (FTV) 4/5
8. The Visit (FTV) 2/5
9. Cell (FTV) 3/5
10. American Mary (FTV) 3.5/5
11. Terror Train 3/5
12. The Thing 5/5
13. Livide (FTV) 4/5
14. Grabbers (FTV) 3.5/5
15. What We Do in the Shadows (FTV) 4/5
16. Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) 3.5/5
17. The Wailing (FTV) 4/5
18. A Christmas Horror Story (FTV) 3/5
19. It Came From Outer Space (FTV) 3/5

post #21971 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
They placed ads throughout the movie I watched. Mostly ads for the movies on the service. I'd expect to see tide and whatever soon though.
I selected "Night of the Demons", a 1988 big hair comedy/horror film to test it out. The ads are about every 20 minutes so Ken stopped short of seeing another break. The ads were for their (Walmart) cellular service, Jet.com (recent Walmart acquisition) and movie trailers and content on VUDU. The breaks were around 1 minute 15 seconds at most. It was tolerable so I may watch a few more 70s and 80s films that. Only thing was the Shield TV rebooted right before the ending. I haven't seen that happen for several months.

I'll give "Night of the Demons" 2 and half Vanilla Thins. Nothing really gets going until halfway through.
post #21972 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While reading your description I decided I'd probably like this one. Then I scrolled down through the pictures and decided I MUST watch this one! Where can I find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
The ads are about every 20 minutes so Ken stopped short of seeing another break.
I still haven't finished that one. I've been in a movie slump for the past few days.
post #21973 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While reading your description I decided I'd probably like this one. Then I scrolled down through the pictures and decided I MUST watch this one! Where can I find it?
I did this one as a blind buy of the new Arrow Video BD release. Looks like it's not available for streaming though.

post #21974 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did this one as a blind buy of the new Arrow Video BD release. Looks like it's not available for streaming though.
How is the BD quality? It has to be better than this:

post #21975 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How is the BD quality? It has to be better than this:
The BD picture quality is top notch, actually! For a movie made nearly 40 years ago the colors are great, it really looks excellent. They must have had a very good print, no scratches or dust or damage. The normal film grain is present, which adds to the charm.

I just looked up a review on DVD Talk and they actually give the picture quality their rare 5 star rating!
Ken.F likes this.

post #21976 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Shudder has it.
post #21977 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked: 9681
Quote:
the lead role is played by Jackie Vernon, who is best known as the voice of the original "Frosty the Snowman"

Lol. This looks awesome. I'll never look at Frosty the same way again.

post #21978 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Halloween III Season of the Witch....This movie is a joy to watch in October or any other time during the year! Very ballsy for Carpenter and company to try and make an Anthology series without Michael all the time. Well box office numbers back in '82 weren't too kind to Carpenter so the Anthology never saw the light of day. This film just oozes with nostalgia imo and it has some really dark over tones like, hurting children during Halloween. That isn't really even a thing today let alone back in 1982 for horror films. I also look at this movie as a consumerism gone wrong and consumerism society taking the air out of children fun when it comes to Halloween, hence why Conal Cochran decided to 'end' Halloween for good (at least my theory). Definitely relevant today because at my kids school, they don't call it Halloween anymore, it is a Harvest festival. Sad times really, but you cannot say the movies of the past weren't trying to warn us. 5 Pumpkins!!!
post #21979 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Reminder: The Rocky Horror Picture Show on FOX tonight.

ApolloCreed likes this.
post #21980 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Graveyard jam session.

ADU
post #21981 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One of my YouTube acquaintances made this amazing short film. It's more Twilight Zone than horror, but I think you guys would enjoy:
ADU and ApolloCreed like this.

post #21982 of 22337 Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

^ Very nicely done.

ADU
post #21983 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Reminder: The Rocky Horror Picture Show on FOX tonight.
Well... that was disappointing.
post #21984 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Getting caught up from the last few days viewings.

#28 Zombies Zombies Zombies 2008 FTV. Another top movie in the popular Zombie stripper genre.

This movie has –
Bad crack that starts the zombie plague.
Pimp that likes to settle everything with the back of his hand – including dispatching of the undead.
Annoying whores.
Annoying strippers.

3 Shamed to admit it Zombies

#29 The Dead Room 2015 ftv. New Zealand horror movie that is a slow burner until it erupts in the last 15 minutes – just when you think the characters are safe.
First rule in any horror movie, never go in the basement!!

This movie has –

A powerful subwoofer.

Awesome new Zealand accents.

A slow burn.

Spoiler!

#30 The Entity 1982. I probably haven’t seen this in 30 years. This easily could have been a laughable, 80’s exploitation type movie. But really have to applaud the folks behind this as it does not feel that way. Barbara Hershey plays this role with a lot of class and you can feel the relief when her character is finally validated that it is some Entity haunting her. The thought of this being re-made with today’s PC, neutered movies and over reliance on CGI, not to mention a most likely PG-13 rating, is a scary thought.
4 80’s Zombies

#31 Ava’s Possessions 2015 FTV. Hipster possession movie that easily could have been on the Lifetime channel. Well acted with a cool, initial, premise of what happens after the possessed is cured. How do they deal with the atrocities committed while they were possessed, how do you pick up your life? But changes mid stream as we learn more…
3 Hipster Zombies

#32 Harbinger Down 2015 FTV. Blatant, almost scene for scene rip off of The THING. Obviously, not as good but better than most low budget, creature features. Lance Henriksen at 76 years old still kicks butt.
3.5 Plagiaristic Zombies
BornSlippyZ and The Mice like this.

Last edited by GoCaboNow; 10-21-2016 at 10:55 AM.
post #21985 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Getting caught up from the last few days viewings.

#28 Zombies Zombies Zombies 2008 FTV. Another top movie in the popular Zombie stripper genre.

This movie has –
Bad crack that starts the zombie plague.
Pimp that likes to settle everything with the back of his hand – including dispatching of the undead.
Annoying whores.
Annoying strippers.

3 Shamed to admit it Zombies

#29 The Dead Room 2015 ftv. New Zealand horror movie that is a slow burner until it erupts in the last 15 minutes – just when you think the characters are safe.
First rule in any horror movie, never go in the basement!!

This movie has –

A powerful subwoofer.

Awesome new Zealand accents.

A slow burn.

Spoiler!

#30 The Entity 1982. I probably haven’t seen this in 30 years. This easily could have been a laughable, 80’s exploitation type movie. But really have to applaud the folks behind this as it does not feel that way. Barbara Hershey plays this role with a lot of class and you can feel the relief when her character is finally validated that it is some Entity haunting her. The thought of this being re-made with today’s PC, neutered movies and over reliance on CGI, not to mention a most likely PG-13 rating, is a scary thought.
4 80’s Zombies

#31 Ava’s Possessions 2015 FTV. Hipster possession movie that easily could have been on the Lifetime channel. Well acted with a cool, initial, premise of what happens after the possessed is cured. How do they deal with the atrocities committed while they were possessed, how do you pick up your life? But changes mid stream as we learn more…
3 Hipster Zombies

#32 Harbinger Down 2015 FTV. Blatant, almost scene for scene rip off of The THING. Obviously, not as good but better than most low budget, creature features. Lance Henriksen at 76 years old still kicks butt. J
3.5 Plagiaristic Zombies
Nice update of Horror flicks!

I still love The Entity and it is pretty disturbing today!

Not really Horror per se more SciFi but this could be good if it has the story/craziness of the anime and rated R.

I am keeping hopes in check.
post #21986 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Planning on playing catch-up this weekend with reviews since I'll finally have a little spare time . In the meantime, I've been staying on pace. Since my last update...

19. Sleepaway Camp.... after all the posts about it over the years, decided to give it a FTV.

20. The Taking of Deborah Logan.....man do I love this movie. The last sequence is crazy awesome!

21. Halloween (RZ version)

Not sure what's on tap for tonight. I have Martyrs and Salem's Lot sitting on the counter from Netflix. But we'll have to see.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #21987 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched the first "Sleepaway Camp" on VUDU "Movies on Us" last night. Interesting the development between I and III. Two and half aerosol shaving cream cans.
post #21988 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

21. Rob Zombie's 31 (FTV)
A ragtag band of carnies on Halloween night 1976 are thrown into a deadly competition to survive against psychopathic human hunters dressed as clowns. After pushing himself artistically in "Lords of Salem", Rob Zombie has scaled back his ambitions here and deals a more conventional formulaic horror story, the kind we've been seeing since "The Most Dangerous Game", "The Running Man", and dare I say it, "The Hunger Games". However, this is very much a Rob Zombie film, so if you like stuff like "The Devil's Rejects", you're going to have a great time with this one, despite the lack of novelty. Shot in just 20 days, "31" is lean and mean, loaded with characters and psychos, chock full of profanity and brutal violence, and Zombie reliably delivers the goods. A particular highlight is the nefarious character of Doom Head, who makes Heath Ledger's Joker seem like a perfect gentleman. No new ground is broken in the film, but that's okay. I suspect Zombie may be turning into the Woody Allen of horror films: he keeps chugging out stylish, reliable quality entertainment to a group of appreciative fans.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2016 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Boy (FTV) 3.5/5
2. Baskin (FTV) 4/5
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (FTV) 3.5/5
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane (FTV) 4/5
5. The Watcher in the Woods (FTV) 3/5
6. Slugs (FTV) 3.5/5
7. Clown (FTV) 4/5
8. The Visit (FTV) 2/5
9. Cell (FTV) 3/5
10. American Mary (FTV) 3.5/5
11. Terror Train 3/5
12. The Thing 5/5
13. Livide (FTV) 4/5
14. Grabbers (FTV) 3.5/5
15. What We Do in the Shadows (FTV) 4/5
16. Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) 3.5/5
17. The Wailing (FTV) 4/5
18. A Christmas Horror Story (FTV) 3/5
19. It Came From Outer Space (FTV) 3/5

post #21989 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Nice update of Horror flicks!

I still love The Entity and it is pretty disturbing today!

Not really Horror per se more SciFi but this could be good if it has the story/craziness of the anime and rated R.

I am keeping hopes in check.
As long as she wears the same, uh, outfit.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #21990 of 22337 Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
A ragtag band of carnies on Halloween night 1976 are thrown into a deadly competition to survive against psychopathic human hunters dressed as clowns. After pushing himself artistically in "Lords of Salem", Rob Zombie has scaled back his ambitions here and deals a more conventional formulaic horror story, the kind we've been seeing since "The Most Dangerous Game", "The Running Man", and dare I say it, "The Hunger Games". However, this is very much a Rob Zombie film, so if you like stuff like "The Devil's Rejects", you're going to have a great time with this one, despite the lack of novelty. Shot in just 20 days, "31" is lean and mean, loaded with characters and psychos, chock full of profanity and brutal violence, and Zombie reliably delivers the goods. A particular highlight is the nefarious character of Doom Head, who makes Heath Ledger's Joker seem like a perfect gentleman. No new ground is broken in the film, but that's okay. I suspect Zombie may be turning into the Woody Allen of horror films: he keeps chugging out stylish, reliable quality entertainment to a group of appreciative fans.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Ordered 31 through Amazon last night. We have 30 days to watch it, so the plan is to pair it with HOTC on Halloween Night.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page