October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 739 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11090Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22141 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 4,104
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
I survived having 16 kindergarten kids over for my daughters Birthday! I know now what teachers go through! Seriously the kids were great and had fun! No I need food and drinks! Tonight's movie will be The Conjuring 2. I have Neon Demon but I need to watch it in my HT room because the effects will be trippy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ApolloCreed likes this.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22142 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
"The Purge: Election Year" was a good watch on BD. Good cast too and some good writing. Now we can wait for the next installment (hinted at the end). A must for gore fans. Three and a half security cameras.

Tonight I'll check out the Ruth Wilson ("Luther", "The Affair") ghost movie ("I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House") on Netflix.
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #22143 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Kain is offline  
 
post #22144 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Tonight is the best of the "Night of" movies from the 80s.

Night of the Comet, Night of the Creeps, and Night of the Demons.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
ADU and BornSlippyZ like this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22145 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 13,778
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5123 Post(s)
Liked: 11800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
^ Nice!

Was eyeing the Uni Werewolf and Mummy DVD collections at BB this evening, and also this coffin set at another store...



EMOTD also has a new coffin... I mean coffee table book out. I flipped through it. Very nice!

Spoiler!


All the above were too big for my wallet though (sigh). So I settled for this...

Spoiler!


Should be fun!
Elvira was a judge on Halloween Wars on the Food Channel. Holy moly, her two assets were screaming for a motor boating.
Spoiler!
ApolloCreed likes this.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #22146 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 13,778
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5123 Post(s)
Liked: 11800
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I survived having 16 kindergarten kids over for my daughters Birthday! I know now what teachers go through! Seriously the kids were great and had fun! No I need food and drinks! Tonight's movie will be The Conjuring 2. I have Neon Demon but I need to watch it in my HT room because the effects will be trippy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, you need a drink, stat!

I've been getting into Charlie Jade. A show from 2005. Not horror but really good sci-fi. It was only on for one season.

Synopsis - A missing persons detective finds himself caught between three parallel universes.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #22147 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
29. Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (FTV)
When a zombie outbreak occurs, it's up to three misfit teen boy scouts to save the day. After reading lukewarm reviews, I was wary about this one but gave it a chance because I love horror comedy. I'm so glad I watched it! One of the funnest horror comedies of the year, Scouts Guide has everything a horror comedy fan could want. This sort of reminded me of "Stand By Me" and "The Goonies" combined with zombie horror comedy, since at its core it's really about growing up and friendship, and it's not afraid to have fun with the zombies. I'm glad the movie had the guts (no pun intended) to go for the "R" rating rather than a PG-13, because the shock and gore factor is very high and it makes everything that much funnier. This was the rare kind of movie that the moment it was over, I just wanted to watch it again!

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2016 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Boy (FTV) 3.5/5
2. Baskin (FTV) 4/5
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (FTV) 3.5/5
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane (FTV) 4/5
5. The Watcher in the Woods (FTV) 3/5
6. Slugs (FTV) 3.5/5
7. Clown (FTV) 4/5
8. The Visit (FTV) 2/5
9. Cell (FTV) 3/5
10. American Mary (FTV) 3.5/5
11. Terror Train 3/5
12. The Thing 5/5
13. Livide (FTV) 4/5
14. Grabbers (FTV) 3.5/5
15. What We Do in the Shadows (FTV) 4/5
16. Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) 3.5/5
17. The Wailing (FTV) 4/5
18. A Christmas Horror Story (FTV) 3/5
19. It Came From Outer Space (FTV) 3/5
20. Microwave Massacre (FTV) 2.5/5
21. Rob Zombie's 31 (FTV) 3.5/5
22. The Entity (FTV) 4/5
23. The Neon Demon (FTV) 3.5/5
24. Fender Bender (FTV) 2/5
25. The Conjuring 2 (FTV) 4/5
26. The Forest (FTV) 3.5/5
27. End of the Line (FTV) 3/5
28. The Hallow (FTV) 2/5
29. Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (FTV) 4/5









"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Bob McLaughlin is offline  
post #22148 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Started my weekend with two pretty good made-for-TV type movies from the 70's. It's probably no coincidence that these both feature Geoffrey Lewis (who passed away just last year) in key supporting roles, as he was one of the "go-to" guys for quirky off-beat characters when these were made.



Wikipedia link

Geoffrey was one of Hollywood's best supporting players from the 70's onward, and was featured in dozens of great roles in both movies and TV, including the recently reviewed High Plains Drifter, and several other Eastwood flicks. (RIP, and thanks for all your incredible work, Geoffrey, wherever you are.)



25. Moon of the Wolf (1972), DVD

A young woman is mauled to death in bayou country. And the local Sheriff, played by David Janssen of TV's "The Fugitive", must sort out who, or what was responsible.



This isn't quite on par with the next TV movie on my list. But I enjoy the relationships between all the characters. And there's also some nice local Louisiana color in this. Janssen is also ably backed up here by Lewis, Barbara Rush (It Came from Outer Space, "Peyton Place"), Bradford Dillman, and a number of other good supporting 70's players.







I watched a budget DVD from Westlake Entertainment, which has sort of mediocre (but passable) sound and picture quality. But this is in the public domain, so it can be viewed on YouTube or DL'd from the Internet Archive.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-29-2016 at 08:15 PM.
ADU is offline  
post #22149 of 24995 Old 10-29-2016, 09:24 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 703
2nd was this three-hour TV mini-series based on a Stephen King novel...



26. Salem's Lot (1979), BD

A writer (David Soul) returns to his hometown in an attempt to confront his childhood demons, and fears of an old mansion with a checkered past.

This is still surprisingly effective, due in no small part to some first-rate performances by David Soul, Bonnie Bedelia, James Mason, Lew Ayres, Geoffrey Lewis and the other supporting actors, and also Tobe Hooper's deft direction. It builds steadily and creepily to its chilling climax.





Spoiler!


The movie is presented on Blu-ray in its original 1.37:1 (aka 4:3) TV aspect ratio... which means it has black bars on the sides. The framing of the 1.37:1 image is not very tight though, so you can get away with zooming, and cropping the top and bottom a little, if you want a bigger/wider image on your HDTV. (I reframed the picture to about 1.60:1, and nothing vital was lost.)

I didn't scrutinize the black levels super closely, but the picture on the BD has plenty of depth, contrast and punch, and very nice color, midtones and detail. The picture is definitely on the grainy side though, moreso in some scenes than in others. And the color tends to favor cherry reds, pea greens and earthier tones, which give it a somewhat "vintage" look. (There are some amazing wood tones, tans, creams, ochres, golds and greens in this.)

The monophonic soundtrack does have some depth to it, and pretty good detail. And there are some nice sound FX toward the end (which will probably come across better on speakers than on my headphones). But the audio (esp. dialogue) is a little thin and bright overall, and occasionally somewhat shrill. So I added some more warmth with my EQ.

Many thanks to ApolloCreed and others here for helping to push me over the edge on this. I enjoyed it a lot!

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-30-2016 at 04:46 PM.
ADU is offline  
post #22150 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 12:44 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Elvira was a judge on Halloween Wars on the Food Channel. Holy moly, her two assets were screaming for a motor boating.

ADU
ADU is offline  
post #22151 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Tonight is the best of the "Night of" movies from the 80s.

Night of the Comet, Night of the Creeps, and Night of the Demons.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have never seen an of the "Night of" movies. Do I need to watch them in any particular order?

Thanks!

Basement | Horrorfest 2015
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er 600X3D | Roku 3 | Pana. BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er 600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
ZzBloopzZ is offline  
post #22152 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
I have never seen an of the "Night of" movies. Do I need to watch them in any particular order?

Thanks!
Nope. They aren't connected at all except by having "Night of" in the title and being from the 80s. Night of the Creeps is probably the best but I love Comet and some Catherine Mary Stewart. Demons is really fun as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
darthrsg is offline  
post #22153 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Watched the following last night:

Hell Baby - 7.5/10 - I am not sure how I missed this one? I laughed really hard several times. It was a big hit at the party. Will be adding this into our October rotation probably for every 2 years.

Tales of Halloween - 5.5/10 - I realized I had watched this before after 10 minutes in. Most stories were forgettable but some were really good. There was one part where my friend got so scared she literally had to go outside to get some air! I have never seen someone get so scared by scene in a movie before. I couldn't help but compare this to Trick R' Treat which is LEAGUES better!

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon - 5/10 - Had mixed thoughts about this movie. It was very unique in a way so I liked that. After watching SO MANY horror movies over the years I do love uniqueness. However, we were expecting this to be really funny but sadly the comedy did not match our sense of humor. Then some aspects that did not make sense, and I do get that actors live in an alternate/fantasy world where the events of Halloween and Friday the 13 movies actually took place. Pretty forgettable movie as even trying to write this review I am struggling to remember.

On the topic of forgettable movies.. another poster here makes a statement about how as he get's older he realizes he is more picky with movies and wants to only watch GREAT movies, since time/life is short and I have to agree with him. It really kills my mood sometimes after I wasted 1.5-2 hours on a mediocre or crap movie because I would have rather worked out or read a book. But then after a really good movie you just feel SO good and have this high for rest of the day/evening.

Regardless, waiting for GF to come back from work. Have bunch of mainly horror comedies lined up and then we will finish the night with The Entity, all will be FTV. I am excited! Then back to hardcore studying for a cyber security cert starting November 1st.

Also, today will be pure healthy foods. Been eating too much delicious garbage last few horror movie nights:

Thursday Night: Veggie Costco pizza, Imported Hungarian Pa'linka (Damn this stuff is strong!), Imported Milka White Chocolate Bars from Germany

Friday Night: Gourmet Chicken Salad sandwich on sour dough bread, Kettle Brand BBQ Chips, Trader Joe's Organic Corn Chips with Pineapple Salsa, Fresh Apple Cider (Picked it up from the farm earlier that day)

Last Night: Ledo's Veggie pizza half with other half Pineapple and Black Olives, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select (I don't know how GF drinks this straight, I need plenty of ice!), Grand Marnier Cuvee du Cent Cinquantenaire (More my style!), 1x Angry Orchard's Crisp Cider, Red Velvet Oreos, Pumpkin Spice Oreos (Liked these better then the red velvet), Utz Popcorn and of course Sour Gummy Worms! Was a fun party!

Basement | Horrorfest 2015
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er 600X3D | Roku 3 | Pana. BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er 600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX

Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 10-30-2016 at 11:17 AM.
ZzBloopzZ is offline  
post #22154 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
2nd was this three-hour TV mini-series based on a Stephen King novel...



26. Salem's Lot (1979), BD

A writer (David Soul) returns to his hometown in an attempt to confront his childhood demons, and fears of an old mansion with a checkered past.

This is still surprisingly effective, due in no small part to some first-rate performances by David Soul, Bonnie Bedelia, James Mason, Lew Ayres, Geoffrey Lewis and the other supporting actors, and also Tobe Hooper's deft direction. It builds steadily and creepily to its chilling climax.





Spoiler!


The movie is presented on Blu-ray in its original 1.37:1 (aka 4:3) TV aspect ratio... which means it has black bars on the sides. The framing of the 1.37:1 image is not very tight though, so you can get away with zooming, and cropping the top and bottom a little, if you want a bigger/wider image on your HDTV. (I reframed the picture to about 1.60:1, and nothing vital will be lost.)

I didn't scrutinize the black levels super closely, but the picture on the BD has plenty of depth, contrast and punch, and very nice color, midtones and detail. The picture is definitely on the grainy side though, moreso in some scenes than in others. And the color tends to favor cherry reds, pea greens and earthier tones, which give it a somewhat "vintage" look. (There are some amazing wood tones, tans, creams, ochres, golds and greens in this.)

The monophonic soundtrack does have some depth to it, and pretty good detail. And there are some nice sound FX toward the end (which will probably come across better on speakers than on my headphones). But the audio (esp. dialogue) is a little thin and bright overall, and occasionally somewhat shrill. So I added some more warmth with my EQ.

Many thanks to ApolloCreed and others here for helping to push me over the edge on this. I enjoyed it a lot!
Yep, Salem's Lot was definitely one of the highlights of the month. The 4:3 aspect ratio was a downer, but I got over it pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Nope. They aren't connected at all except by having "Night of" in the title and being from the 80s. Night of the Creeps is probably the best but I love Comet and some Catherine Mary Stewart. Demons is really fun as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Demons is fun, agreed. In fact, I really enjoyed the remake as well. Its the kind of movie that I might toss into the Oct rotation at some point. Shannon Elizabeth is mighty tasty in there.

Weekend movies so far.....

26. Vampyres- not as good as I had hoped. The trailer shows off the movies most interesting scenes. Not a whole lot else going for it. I have the original version queued up on Shudder. Might check it out at some point for a comparison.

27. Session 9- this one is sooooo good. Does not get the recognition it deserves. One of the best horror movies I own.

28. Clown- solid movie. Happy with my decision to blind buy it.
ADU and BornSlippyZ like this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #22155 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Figured I would share one of my favorite pictures from last night's party:



Friend picked up the Nightmare Before Christmas shot glasses from the Halloween store. Had one with the Jack Daniel's Select bottle but it did not come out good at all. Would have been cool... "Jack with Jack" pic haha!
ADU, ApolloCreed and GoCaboNow like this.

Basement | Horrorfest 2015
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er 600X3D | Roku 3 | Pana. BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er 600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
ZzBloopzZ is offline  
post #22156 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Yep, Salem's Lot was definitely one of the highlights of the month. The 4:3 aspect ratio was a downer, but I got over it pretty quickly.


Demons is fun, agreed. In fact, I really enjoyed the remake as well. Its the kind of movie that I might toss into the Oct rotation at some point. Shannon Elizabeth is mighty tasty in there.

Weekend movies so far.....

26. Vampyres- not as good as I had hoped. The trailer shows off the movies most interesting scenes. Not a whole lot else going for it. I have the original version queued up on Shudder. Might check it out at some point for a comparison.

27. Session 9- this one is sooooo good. Does not get the recognition it deserves. One of the best horror movies I own.

28. Clown- solid movie. Happy with my decision to blind buy it.
Thanks will add Session 9 to the list. One thing I love about Roku is that it searches numerous sources for a movie but sadly it seems anytime there is a movie I want to badly watch it is not available for free through Roku. Although this year Amazon Streaming Series did seem to have a better selection of horror movies over Netflix. Will also add Salem's Lot to the list.

Clown was excellent.

What are some other horror movies that you think are GREAT? We should all chip in and list some horror movies that we think are ABSOLUTELY worth watching or at least VERY VERY ENJOYABLE. Here is my list in no particular order:

- An American Werewolf in London
- The Exorcist (1973)
- The Conjuring 1 & 2
- The Mist
- The Woman in Black
- Suspiria
- Poltergeist (1982)
- Psycho (1960)
- The Baby's Room
- The Descent
- The Changeling
- Trick R' Treat
- The Wolfman (2010)
- The Witches (1990)
- Black Sabbath (1963)
- The Return of the Living Dead (1985) - My favorite of the Living Dead series!
- Prince of Darkness
- The Cabin in the Woods - Unexpectedly really fun movie
- The Babadook
- Lady In White (1988)
- Let The Right One In & US Remake Let Me In (I liked Let The Right One In slightly better but both in my collection)
- In the Mouth of Madness
- I Saw the Devil
- Found
- Clown
- Exists - Silly but fun!
- Insidious Series
- Tales from the Darkside
- Three Extremes (2004)

Basement | Horrorfest 2015
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er 600X3D | Roku 3 | Pana. BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er 600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
ZzBloopzZ is offline  
post #22157 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I've been getting into Charlie Jade. A show from 2005. Not horror but really good sci-fi. It was only on for one season.

Synopsis - A missing persons detective finds himself caught between three parallel universes.
I watched it back then and some episodes when it came to Netflix. Seemed to be they edited up the episodes when it was on Syfy as if to keep anyone from watching it (because it was heavily anti-corporations). It was like flash cutting but the episodes on Netflix weren't like that. It was an interesting series.

I was disappointed however in the Ruth Wilson "horror" movie on Netflix. It was like a story you'd find in a 1912 woman's magazine and kind of a waste of Wilson's talent. Probably too slow for folks here.

But the final episode of "Black Mirror" season 3 made up for it. It was movie length at 90 minutes and started Kelly Macdonald ("Boardwalk Empire") as a British police detective. They literally did save the best for last and....
Spoiler!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #22158 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
30. The Shallows (FTV)
Lone surfer is attacked by a shark and stranded on a rock 200 yards from shore, trying to figure out how to survive before high tide comes in. This is one of those tales of lone survival like 127 Hours where man (or in this case woman) is pitted against nature and overwhelming odds. Most of this is pretty decent stuff, with occasional awkward contrivances such as having pop-up graphics on the screen when phones are being used. The temporary relationship between the surfer and the seagull reminded me of Tom Hanks and the volley ball Wilson. Anyway, most of this works pretty well except I really didn't care for the ending at all. Too much reliance on Wile E. Coyote physics and uncontrolled forward momentum that seemed like something out of a studio wrestling match. Groaner of an ending aside, there's still a good amount of tension and menace to be found in this simple shark attack tale.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2016 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Boy (FTV) 3.5/5
2. Baskin (FTV) 4/5
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (FTV) 3.5/5
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane (FTV) 4/5
5. The Watcher in the Woods (FTV) 3/5
6. Slugs (FTV) 3.5/5
7. Clown (FTV) 4/5
8. The Visit (FTV) 2/5
9. Cell (FTV) 3/5
10. American Mary (FTV) 3.5/5
11. Terror Train 3/5
12. The Thing 5/5
13. Livide (FTV) 4/5
14. Grabbers (FTV) 3.5/5
15. What We Do in the Shadows (FTV) 4/5
16. Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) 3.5/5
17. The Wailing (FTV) 4/5
18. A Christmas Horror Story (FTV) 3/5
19. It Came From Outer Space (FTV) 3/5
20. Microwave Massacre (FTV) 2.5/5
21. Rob Zombie's 31 (FTV) 3.5/5
22. The Entity (FTV) 4/5
23. The Neon Demon (FTV) 3.5/5
24. Fender Bender (FTV) 2/5
25. The Conjuring 2 (FTV) 4/5
26. The Forest (FTV) 3.5/5
27. End of the Line (FTV) 3/5
28. The Hallow (FTV) 2/5
29. Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (FTV) 4/5
30. The Shallows (FTV) 3/5








GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Bob McLaughlin is offline  
post #22159 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched it back then and some episodes when it came to Netflix. Seemed to be they edited up the episodes when it was on Syfy as if to keep anyone from watching it (because it was heavily anti-corporations). It was like flash cutting but the episodes on Netflix weren't like that. It was an interesting series.

I was disappointed however in the Ruth Wilson "horror" movie on Netflix. It was like a story you'd find in a 1912 woman's magazine and kind of a waste of Wilson's talent. Probably too slow for folks here.

But the final episode of "Black Mirror" season 3 made up for it. It was movie length at 90 minutes and started Kelly Macdonald ("Boardwalk Empire") as a British police detective. They literally did save the best for last and....
Spoiler!
Not sure if I should be proud but the kid is sneaking around the corner trying to see what I'm watching, happens to be Poltergeist 3, so I let her in and she's loving it. Screaming Carol Anne! Saying the ice cars are dumb and asking what kind of name is Bruce.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22160 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched it back then and some episodes when it came to Netflix. Seemed to be they edited up the episodes when it was on Syfy as if to keep anyone from watching it (because it was heavily anti-corporations). It was like flash cutting but the episodes on Netflix weren't like that. It was an interesting series.

I was disappointed however in the Ruth Wilson "horror" movie on Netflix. It was like a story you'd find in a 1912 woman's magazine and kind of a waste of Wilson's talent. Probably too slow for folks here.

But the final episode of "Black Mirror" season 3 made up for it. It was movie length at 90 minutes and started Kelly Macdonald ("Boardwalk Empire") as a British police detective. They literally did save the best for last and....
Spoiler!
I sure hope they avoid episode sequels in Black Mirror, the small bits of continuity like the news tickers are enough of a connection. I think the best episode was San Junipero simply because it had a happy ending.

I sort of dug that ghost story on Netflix, while slow, it's refreshing to not have a cgi bogey man or blood coming out of showers and just have a little mystery.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22161 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 4,104
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Not sure if I should be proud but the kid is sneaking around the corner trying to see what I'm watching, happens to be Poltergeist 3, so I let her in and she's loving it. Screaming Carol Anne! Saying the ice cars are dumb and asking what kind of name is Bruce.


Ha, that is cool!

The Neon Demon, FTV, BD. I actually watched this movie twice. Once in my bedroom and in my HT room. This movie might be a mixed bag for most because it doesn't start as a Horror movie. But this movie visually is really pretty and kinda trippy with the electronic music coursing its way out of the speakers. This movie is about the craziness of model culture in L.A.. Young Elle Fanning is wanting to enter this world. Off the bat other women want her natural beauty and will not stop till they have it. Admittedly this movie takes a while to get to the Horror part and might leave you to oink it soon. This movie had some decent parts but it tries to hard to be a David Lynch film but I cannot deny the long beautiful shots keep me engaged. 3 Blood Soaked High Heels!!


I am watching Scream on BD and for a 90's film, it looks and sounds decent on BD! I also cannot believe this movie was released 20 years ago!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #22162 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Ha, that is cool!

The Neon Demon, FTV, BD. I actually watched this movie twice. Once in my bedroom and in my HT room. This movie might be a mixed bag for most because it doesn't start as a Horror movie. But this movie visually is really pretty and kinda trippy with the electronic music coursing its way out of the speakers. This movie is about the craziness of model culture in L.A.. Young Elle Fanning is wanting to enter this world. Off the bat other women want her natural beauty and will not stop till they have it. Admittedly this movie takes a while to get to the Horror part and might leave you to oink it soon. This movie had some decent parts but it tries to hard to be a David Lynch film but I cannot deny the long beautiful shots keep me engaged. 3 Blood Soaked High Heels!!


I am watching Scream on BD and for a 90's film, it looks and sounds decent on BD! I also cannot believe this movie was released 20 years ago!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I liked Neon Demon, wait until you try to tell a normal what it's about. It's that kind of horror, much like Black Mirror, in how it peels back the thin veneer of society and the bugs go running.
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22163 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
ADU, ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22164 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 4,104
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I liked Neon Demon, wait until you try to tell a normal what it's about. It's that kind of horror, much like Black Mirror, in how it peels back the thin veneer of society and the bugs go running.

Oh yeah it definitely had that vibe. Also any beautiful girl that gets attention like Elle did would be instantly sucked into that world.

I liked how the models looked in the end of the film. Beautiful yet something sinister lurking behind the sunglasses.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #22165 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Oh yeah it definitely had that vibe. Also any beautiful girl that gets attention like Elle did would be instantly sucked into that world.

I liked how the models looked in the end of the film. Beautiful yet something sinister lurking behind the sunglasses.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. I can't wait for my wife to watch it. She watched Nosedive from Black Mirror this morning and got mad that I was saying she was like them. I wasn't at all, just thought it was a great social commentary. I gave her 1 Star for that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22166 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Check out this Amnesia: The Dark Descent-like game set in Hell.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/487720/

darthrsg and ApolloCreed like this.
Kain is offline  
post #22167 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,941
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Check out this Amnesia: The Dark Descent-like game set in Hell.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/487720/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZHO9KugwTQ
Speaking of games, Until Dawn is a must play for any horror fan. It's a choose your own adventure style game with the much beloved quick time events but it's built around a teen slasher motif with a healthy dose of the supernatural. Really fun, great audio, and graphics.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #22168 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
I caved and watched Young Frankenstein (1974) last night. Blücher!

This morning I watched Butchered (2010). A small group of friends are camping on a small island that an axe murderer is hiding out on. Low budget but not bad. I was a bit disappointed most of the kills were finished off-camera.


Spoiler!
Ken.F is offline  
post #22169 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
30. The Shallows (FTV)
Lone surfer is attacked by a shark and stranded on a rock 200 yards from shore, trying to figure out how to survive before high tide comes in. This is one of those tales of lone survival like 127 Hours where man (or in this case woman) is pitted against nature and overwhelming odds. Most of this is pretty decent stuff, with occasional awkward contrivances such as having pop-up graphics on the screen when phones are being used. The temporary relationship between the surfer and the seagull reminded me of Tom Hanks and the volley ball Wilson. Anyway, most of this works pretty well except I really didn't care for the ending at all. Too much reliance on Wile E. Coyote physics and uncontrolled forward momentum that seemed like something out of a studio wrestling match. Groaner of an ending aside, there's still a good amount of tension and menace to be found in this simple shark attack tale.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2016 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Boy (FTV) 3.5/5
2. Baskin (FTV) 4/5
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (FTV) 3.5/5
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane (FTV) 4/5
5. The Watcher in the Woods (FTV) 3/5
6. Slugs (FTV) 3.5/5
7. Clown (FTV) 4/5
8. The Visit (FTV) 2/5
9. Cell (FTV) 3/5
10. American Mary (FTV) 3.5/5
11. Terror Train 3/5
12. The Thing 5/5
13. Livide (FTV) 4/5
14. Grabbers (FTV) 3.5/5
15. What We Do in the Shadows (FTV) 4/5
16. Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) 3.5/5
17. The Wailing (FTV) 4/5
18. A Christmas Horror Story (FTV) 3/5
19. It Came From Outer Space (FTV) 3/5
20. Microwave Massacre (FTV) 2.5/5
21. Rob Zombie's 31 (FTV) 3.5/5
22. The Entity (FTV) 4/5
23. The Neon Demon (FTV) 3.5/5
24. Fender Bender (FTV) 2/5
25. The Conjuring 2 (FTV) 4/5
26. The Forest (FTV) 3.5/5
27. End of the Line (FTV) 3/5
28. The Hallow (FTV) 2/5
29. Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (FTV) 4/5
30. The Shallows (FTV) 3/5








That's exactly what I thought with regard to how the shark was eliminated. Some Bugs Bunny type sh$t. Good movie overall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
Thanks will add Session 9 to the list. One thing I love about Roku is that it searches numerous sources for a movie but sadly it seems anytime there is a movie I want to badly watch it is not available for free through Roku. Although this year Amazon Streaming Series did seem to have a better selection of horror movies over Netflix. Will also add Salem's Lot to the list.

Clown was excellent.

What are some other horror movies that you think are GREAT? We should all chip in and list some horror movies that we think are ABSOLUTELY worth watching or at least VERY VERY ENJOYABLE. Here is my list in no particular order:

- An American Werewolf in London
- The Exorcist (1973)
- The Conjuring 1 & 2
- The Mist
- The Woman in Black
- Suspiria
- Poltergeist (1982)
- Psycho (1960)
- The Baby's Room
- The Descent
- The Changeling
- Trick R' Treat
- The Wolfman (2010)
- The Witches (1990)
- Black Sabbath (1963)
- The Return of the Living Dead (1985) - My favorite of the Living Dead series!
- Prince of Darkness
- The Cabin in the Woods - Unexpectedly really fun movie
- The Babadook
- Lady In White (1988)
- Let The Right One In & US Remake Let Me In (I liked Let The Right One In slightly better but both in my collection)
- In the Mouth of Madness
- I Saw the Devil
- Found
- Clown
- Exists - Silly but fun!
- Insidious Series
- Tales from the Darkside
- Three Extremes (2004)
I doubt you'll be disappointed with Session 9. Psychological horror done right.

A list of great movies...... hmmm. I feel like I've seen a thousand horror movies in recent years. Not sure about "great", but these are some of my favs

-The Shining
-The Decent
-Event Horizon
-Session 9
-House of 1000 Corpses
-The House of the Devil
-The Strangers
-Black Christmas (original)
-The Exorcist
-The Exorcist III

That's the first 10 that popped into my head. I'm sure there are many more that I missed.
ADU, BornSlippyZ and The Mice like this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #22170 of 24995 Old 10-30-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 518
More pics of the outside/inside décor coming. But this was a little project the wife and I did yesterday. His name is Corpsey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3801.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	1743953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3803.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1743961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3804.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1743969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3805.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	1743977  

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
ApolloCreed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off