October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 760 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8800Likes

post #22771 of 22936 Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1305
Although not entirely Horror but I finished up West World show on HBO. Really good acting, effects and well written! It also opens the conversation that if we make these beings for our pleasure and they become conscious? What are the consequences and will they decide to kill off humans because they are inferior?

Man they also get some beautiful women to star in this show! Worth a watch and the music is pretty cool too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22772 of 22936 Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 557
A Cure For Wellness, directed by Gore Verbinski (The Ring), hitting theaters next month...looks like part "Coma", part "Altered States", part "Shutter Island"...
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #22773 of 22936 Old 01-26-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Is that the Jazz club at Nicolette mall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Never been. I hear it's nice.
Yep, Nicollet Mall. Was thinking about heading there for dinner and a show before flying out to Florida last week. We did end up going and I would definitely recommend it if you're a jazz fan. Cool atmosphere and solid food/drinks.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor

post #22774 of 22936 Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Starry Eyes was a sleeper hit! I wonder if The Taking of Debra Logan is still on NF, if so that is a really good one too!
2 of the best sleepers from the past couple of years. Loved them both! I watched TODL this past October but I think it might be time for another go round with Starry Eyes.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #22775 of 22936 Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Watched Split. Pretty damn cool!
post #22776 of 22936 Old 01-27-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 669
The John Wick question.. (AKA 'Things The Horned One does not know')
Seriously though...Is the first John Wick a repeat watcher? Saw the trailer for the second one but never saw the first. Is it worth getting as the price drops?
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #22777 of 22936 Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Seriously though...Is the first John Wick a repeat watcher? Saw the trailer for the second one but never saw the first. Is it worth getting as the price drops?

Hell yes BUY! It is a really good action assassin movie! Keanu Reeves brings it and the story is good! Demo worth scenes for sound and visuals!

Also we lost John Hurt, who played Kane in Alien ( and a ton of other films), he was 77 RIP.

GoCaboNow likes this.
post #22778 of 22936 Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 2543
Quote:
Yes.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #22779 of 22936 Old 01-27-2017, 06:58 PM

Ronja the Robbers Daughter is out on Amazon. It's a series from some of the Ghibli crew focused on a 10 year old girl and her family of Robin Hood style thieves. Impeccable animation and style as well as family friendly. We're 6 episodes in on this cold night and loving it. It's similar in tone the Netflix acquired Heidi but has more of a fantasy slant.
post #22780 of 22936 Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Ronja the Robbers Daughter is out on Amazon. It's a series from some of the Ghibli crew focused on a 10 year old girl and her family of Robin Hood style thieves. Impeccable animation and style as well as family friendly. We're 6 episodes in on this cold night and loving it. It's similar in tone the Netflix acquired Heidi but has more of a fantasy slant.
Thanks for the tip, we're big Ghibli fans in this house and that sounds like it would be right up our alley!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #22781 of 22936 Old 01-27-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Yep, Nicollet Mall. Was thinking about heading there for dinner and a show before flying out to Florida last week. We did end up going and I would definitely recommend it if you're a jazz fan. Cool atmosphere and solid food/drinks.

Sweet, I could always use an awesome place to check out with the missus! I bet they have good drinks and music!

ApolloCreed likes this.
post #22782 of 22936 Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exceeded expectations big time. Not sure if its a buy, but you definitely need to watch it.

post #22783 of 22936 Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Watched Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in IMAX 3D (laser projection and 12-channel sound) today. Avoid! Even the mindless action wasn't that great either.

The only reason I watched it is because I wanted to see how good the audio would be in the IMAX theater. The sound was okay at best (the movie's sound not the theater's). Bass was not too impressive.

On another note, I bought Resident Evil 7 for PC last Thursday. Holy hell! Super freaky and scary. It must be totally insane in VR. Too bad the movies are not like the games. The cool thing about the game is that there is no music at all throughout the game. Just environmental and atmospheric sounds. Seriously intense stuff.

Last edited by Kain; 01-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
post #22784 of 22936 Old 01-28-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Thanks for the tip, we're big Ghibli fans in this house and that sounds like it would be right up our alley!
Excellent. I and my daughters are big Ghibli fans. Surprisingly, my oldest daughter who is in college, likes Ghibli and says a lot of girls in her dorm are Ghibli fans. They watch Ghibli on their laptops like it is a comfort food to calm them down from class anxieties etc.

Recently, my 11 year old did a softball clinic put on by one of the more expensive colleges in this area. Not a state college. At the end the girls circled up and some of the college players that had helped at the clinic gave personal stories of what it was like to play a sport in college and maintain grades at a high academic school. A couple of the girls really spoke from the heart with a lot of passion about the struggles, and sacrifice, to do this. I tried to just watch the faces of the 11-14 year old girls to see how they took this. Some were absolutely enraptured by the honest emotion as these college girls bared their souls. My daughter was one of these. While others looked bored and one actually looked over at her mom and rolled her eyes. I remember thinking that this latter group would probably not be Ghibli fans - lol,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Watched Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in IMAX 3D (laser projection and 12-channel sound) today. Avoid! Even the mindless action wasn't that great either.

The only reason I watched it is because I wanted to see how good the audio would be in the IMAX theater. The sound was okay at best (the movie's sound not the theater's). Bass was not too impressive.

On another note, I bought Resident Evil 7 for PC last Thursday. Holy hell! Super freaky and scary. It must be totally insane in VR. Too bad the movies are not like the games. The cool thing about the game is that there is no music at all throughout the game. Just environmental and atmospheric sounds. Seriously intense stuff.
That's too bad, but not surprising. As I said in the other thread, I really liked the first two but after that they lost their mojo for me. I think it was the last one that starts off with an overhead shot, in the busy times square, and then the zombie mayem begins. Was a really cool shot and way to start the movie and then I lost interest like almost immediately after for the rest of the movie...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #22785 of 22936 Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I've mainly been binge catchup on some TV series so no movies until last night and then it wasn't horror but rented "Guernica" on DVD from the box. This had shown up last year on their site but it never actually arrived until this last week. Online you can only "buy" the movie. It's a Sony property and unlike the "Morgan" FOX DVD I rented the DVD upscaled nicely to 4K, though soft of course. "Guernica" is based on the story of the bombing of the small town of Guernica in 1937 by the Germans and if you are interested in the Spanish Civil War is well worth a watch. James D'Arcy plays an American reporter based an actual American reporter who was there.

I got a Glide Gear stabilizer for my 4K action camera and my Canon point and shoot. Took it for a test run this morning and needs a little fine tuning but works well.

Test on my new broadband setup shows I'm getting 24 Mbps instead of 18. Fine with me though the setup is supposed to be 18. Should have had Sonic installed for 50 Mbps at $60 a month even though they ride on the AT&T line. Next up I will be replacing the line from the AT&T box to the modem with Cat5 so future upgrades will be no problem as well as it will get rid of some radio interference.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #22786 of 22936 Old 01-28-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found some decent found footage Alien Abduction movies on Amazon! I watched The Phoenix Lights last night. It is about 4 guys that go fishing/camping in the AZ desert and encounter some not so nice things! A little rumbling from the sub and I enjoyed this! I also watched Train to Busan this afternoon. My original disc was scratched so NF sent me another today. Pretty cool zombie/viral breakout on a train! As you can tell chaos ensues because the train is full of passengers. Story was fun and the sound was really good! Crazy this was a DTS-X disc!

I am almost about to buy that Resident Evil game because I heard it was really good!

post #22787 of 22936 Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I found some decent found footage Alien Abduction movies on Amazon! I watched The Phoenix Lights last night. It is about 4 guys that go fishing/camping in the AZ desert and encounter some not so nice things! A little rumbling from the sub and I enjoyed this! I also watched Train to Busan this afternoon. My original disc was scratched so NF sent me another today. Pretty cool zombie/viral breakout on a train! As you can tell chaos ensues because the train is full of passengers. Story was fun and the sound was really good! Crazy this was a DTS-X disc!

I am almost about to buy that Resident Evil game because I heard it was really good!

That RE is getting good buzz from the right crowd. I hit 110 hours in FFXV today and I think I'm done until the DLC hits. Just have a few real grinding type things to do and I'm not in the mood for grinding. Picked up Titanfall 2 on sale. May dig in on that tomorrow or wait until Horizon hits. That looks so cool.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #22788 of 22936 Old 01-28-2017, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 4615 Post(s)
Liked: 10814
Quote:
I'm always up for solid food, drinks and good music.

Quote:
I hope THO is wearing ear muffs and didn't hear you say this out loud. John Wick is a must own with great rewatchablity. Keanu kicks butt and the body count is off the charts. The audio is first class too. Now you need to do some repenting. Start by buying some chips, beer and JW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

That's a bummer. I like the RE movies. I'll still more than likely get this on BD.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #22789 of 22936 Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We decided to re-watch The Witch last night. Although still unintelligible in certain parts, it was easier to comprehend the dialog this time around which improved the overall experience. I've really grown to appreciate horror movies that make an effort to be different. This one is a great example of that.

post #22790 of 22936 Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Santa Clarita Diet - New Zom-Com series starring Drew Barrymore coming to Netflix streaming February 3rd.

post #22791 of 22936 Old 01-30-2017, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hell yes BUY! It is a really good action assassin movie! Keanu Reeves brings it and the story is good! Demo worth scenes for sound and visuals!

Thanks, looked for it when I went to Target, didn't see it except for DVD. Did score 'Lights Out' on Blu-ray for 10 dollars while I was there though.
Went back to check price on Amazon and I see the 4K/Blu ray combo has a pre-order price of 16 dollars. Ordered !
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #22792 of 22936 Old 01-30-2017, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes.
Thanks

post #22793 of 22936 Old 01-30-2017, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exceeded expectations big time. Not sure if its a buy, but you definitely need to watch it.
Quote by Waboman:
I hope THO is wearing ear muffs and didn't hear you say this out loud. John Wick is a must own with great rewatchablity. Keanu kicks butt and the body count is off the charts. The audio is first class too. Now you need to do some repenting. Start by buying some chips, beer and JW.
BD.[/QUOTE]
Tenth: You heard the man chips, beer, JW and repent. I ordered JW.
THO: That you did, we still have that chip and beer problem.
Tenth: We First world problems, I know,I know
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #22794 of 22936 Old 01-30-2017, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Santa Clarita Diet - New Zom-Com series starring Drew Barrymore coming to Netflix streaming February 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjRnbOgoAUQ
I drove past a couple of ads for this, I honestly thought someone had come up with yet another diet book. Santa Clarita is about 35 min north of L.A. Zombies do sound more interesting.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #22795 of 22936 Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Morgan was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Anything with Toby Jones and Paul Giamatti is going to be quirky and interesting. But, from the marketing, Morgan was implied as a horrorish movie and it really did not have that kind of mayhem. There were some cool possibilities but not fleshed out enough to elevate the movie. The twist ending is pretty lame. A decent rental but too many missed opportunities over all.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #22796 of 22936 Old 01-30-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got around to re-watching Blair Witch in Atmos (for those that remember my little story from a couple weeks back) Good lord, what an awesome surround mix! Comparing the Atmos soundtrack to the Dolby Digital version....the bass was significantly hotter and surround effects were more enveloping. Don't get me wrong, the job that DSU did on the DD track was pretty damn impressive. But obviously, Atmos wins by a healthy margin.

As far as the movie itself the second time around. I still enjoyed it quite a bit. But the friggin jump scares were just too much. I could've done without them entirely and the movie would've been no less effective by just using the progression of the story to provide the scares.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #22797 of 22936 Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished off "Mars de Plastico" on Netflix last night waiting for Hulu (or Showtime actually) to get unclogged so I could watch "Homeland" in 1080p. "Mars de Plastico" is an excellent Spanish thriller detective series ala "The Killing" or "The Bridge" with lots of red herrings in it. Five empanadas.

Now I can catch up on some of the horror films Netflix added in the last week.
ApolloCreed likes this.
post #22798 of 22936 Old 01-31-2017, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Morgan was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Anything with Toby Jones and Paul Giamatti is going to be quirky and interesting. But, from the marketing, Morgan was implied as a horrorish movie and it really did not have that kind of mayhem. There were some cool possibilities but not fleshed out enough to elevate the movie. The twist ending is pretty lame. A decent rental but too many missed opportunities over all.
So not quite a Species and Splice hybrid

post #22799 of 22936 Old 01-31-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So not quite a Species and Splice hybrid
On many levels...

Species, Splice, Ex Machina, even The machine, there was some kind of spark or personality from the main AI, or engineered hot chick. But Morgan you have two, and not a lick of personality between them.

post #22800 of 22936 Old 01-31-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Santa Clara Diet" looks fun and I may actually bump my Netflix subscription to include 4K and see if it works. I have only 18 Mbps but the Netflix speed test shows 23 Mbps. That's a weirdness of how this kind of broadband is set up that 18 Mbps is guaranteed but 23 is supposed to require bonded pair at the node to be reliable. I ran VUDU's speed test and it recommended UHD. Really with the new codecs not much more than 18 Mbps should be necessary. The big advantage of a 4K set is how much better 1080p even looks.

I didn't get to any new Netflix horror flics last night but if you're a history buff you might like the German film "Sarajevo" about the start of WWI and if you're a fan of quirky Hollywood indies "Take the 10" is fun.
ApolloCreed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion