October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 765 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8805Likes

post #22921 of 22945 Old 02-23-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I saw A Cure For Wellness today. Big, beautiful looking, seriously creepy, bloated at 2 hours and 26 minutes, but worth seeing. Part Shutter Island, part The Shining, and a little One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for good measure.

If you liked Crimson Peak's gorgeous visuals and its B-movie weird melodrama, you'll like this one, although it's a lot more "out there" and mysterious. I do think plotwise it could have been a good 45 minutes shorter, but I did enjoy seeing every minute of what was going on onscreen, so I'd be hard pressed to say what should be cut. The whole thing is very much hallucinogenic nightmare material, and I mean that as a compliment.

I can see why this movie has divided many critics, there's a lot of flaws here to pick on--it's too long, the visuals are probably overdirected, it's basically a B-movie plot, much of it is familiar despite its strangeness--but the movie succeeds within its own terms. You just have to be willing to go along for the ride and prepare to be sitting and scratching your head for a while.

ADU, tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

Last edited by Bob McLaughlin; 02-23-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22922 of 22945 Old 02-23-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
I saw A Cure For Wellness today. Big, beautiful looking, seriously creepy, bloated at 2 hours and 26 minutes, but worth seeing. Part Shutter Island, part The Shining, and a little One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for good measure.

If you liked Crimson Peak's gorgeous visuals and its B-movie weird melodrama, you'll like this one, although it's a lot more "out there" and mysterious. I do think plotwise it could have been a good 45 minutes shorter, but I did enjoy seeing every minute of what was going on onscreen, so I'd be hard pressed to say what should be cut. The whole thing is very much hallucinogenic nightmare material, and I mean that as a compliment.

I can see why this movie has divided many critics, there's a lot of flaws here to pick on--it's too long, the visuals are probably overdirected, it's basically a B-movie plot, much of it is familiar despite its strangeness--but the movie succeeds within its own terms. You just have to be willing to go along for the ride and prepare to be sitting and scratching your head for a while.

That movie looks like it is up my alley! Thanks for the review man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #22923 of 22945 Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I still need to get this version of the film!
Please post your thoughts if you do. I know most here like to stream. But most of my movie & horror viewing is still from discs. So I always welcome reviews and suggestions for any good horror flicks (esp. some of the older ones) on DVD, BD, or UHD discs.

Quote:
Another thing I noticed looking at cheap $5 and below BDs at Target, was that not all the films have lossless audio. For example I noticed the Tom Cruise movie The Last Samurai for $4.50 and it has only Dolby Digital 5.1. Luckily it is highlighted with boxes on the back telling you the specs.
Good point. The bargain bins/shelves at big box stores often contain overstock of older or discontinued titles that distributors are trying to unload. So it is wise to scrutinize them a little more closely if you really care about the sound and picture quality.

Many titles in there may also be cheaper on Amazon as well. I've found quite a few good deals in the discount bins and stores over the years though. And its certainly more convenient than buying online.

Big Lots sometimes has interesting stuff in their video section.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

ADU

post #22924 of 22945 Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I saw A Cure For Wellness today.
Nice review as usual, Bob.

Quote:
If you liked Crimson Peak's gorgeous visuals and its B-movie weird melodrama, you'll like this one, although it's a lot more "out there" and mysterious.
I finally got round to watching Crimson Peak on BD in January, on a cold, wet, rainy, Sunday afternoon, and enjoyed it quite a bit (nature set the perfect mood for the movie). Definitely a slow (but good) burn, with a fairly decent payoff in the final act. I think the only thing that might've made it better was a little more grain and skin. But...

Spoiler!

ADU
post #22925 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
I don't feel at home in this world anymore. Netflix. You all should dig it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #22926 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 754
"Kill Command" is a sci-fi combat thriller that Netflix added yesterday. Most of these video game as movies tend to bore me but this was a bit better. Three and a half robot eyes.

Now to figure out what I will watch for the Friday night horror film since there are many choices and equally many sources.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #22927 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have Siren on DVD for tonight. I am fighting sinus infection/cold so I might pass out before the movie ends.

post #22928 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Nice review as usual, Bob.

I finally got round to watching Crimson Peak on BD in January, on a cold, wet, rainy, Sunday afternoon, and enjoyed it quite a bit (nature set the perfect mood for the movie). Definitely a slow (but good) burn, with a fairly decent payoff in the final act. I think the only thing that might've made it better was a little more grain and skin. But...

Spoiler!
In answer to your question
Spoiler!
otherwise Del Toro gets credit for trying something different.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #22929 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I saw it too. The problem with critics and this film is they want to shove it away from horror and in many parts this a horror film. Most critics have gotten be lazy.
The director is is known for more mainstream films, Pirates of The Caribbean, The Lone Ranger... Yes it's Gore Verbinski. This film is a bit of departure for him and he also co-wrote the story.
As you watch you're thinking seems like Hitchcock, no Hitchcock doing Lynch, not quite that. Overall, it's Verbinski doing Barker without the blood, some similar themes, but going for weirdness vs. shock. And towards the end a little Coppola thrown in for good measure.
Gothic horror mixed with a few other forms of horror.
Not a film for everyone, but then neither was 'Frankenstein's Army'.
Watch only at night and without alcohol for the full creepiness to set in.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #22930 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been hearing good things about Get Out! Anyone going to see this?

post #22931 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Looks sort of like a Stepford Wives for racial paranoia, or "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" combined with "1000 Maniacs", based on the preview. Getting some decent reviews. I didn't realize the Peele guy from Key & Peele directed this!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #22932 of 22945 Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
In answer to your question
Spoiler!
otherwise Del Toro gets credit for trying something different.
Ok, but...

Spoiler!

I mean c'mon! It's just too Lovecraftian.

ADU
post #22933 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm thinking about it, I'm seen some seriously disturbed trailers for this. Jordan Peele gets horror
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #22934 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Ok, but...

Spoiler!

I mean c'mon! It's just too Lovecraftian.
Universal meets American International is how I would put it, add Vincent Price and stir well
ADU likes this.

post #22935 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have Keanu on my dvr and one of my friends was totally shocked that the director can do horror!

post #22936 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

Fired up The Girl With All The Gifts on Vudu. Pretty good take on the overcrowded zombie flick genre. It has a dash of pod people and some Last of Us thrown in the mix.

It centers on a child infected with a fungus that causes flesh eating in the standard zombie way but with a difference. The children are mostly normal and being used to seek a cure in a military installation. Glenn Close and the consumate Paddy Considine star.

It drags a bit in the middle and walks a fine line between a typical zombie apocalypse film as well a new world being born and seen through the eyes of a child.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #22937 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 754
I decided on watching "The Arrival" which turned out to be a fairly decent "thinking" sci-fi story. Rented it for $1.49 and in 4K streaming. Thought it would just be $1.49 off the usual $7.99 4K price but all versions were $1.49. Four hexapods.
tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #22938 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was lucky and got in two movies in the past 24. First one Siren, a continuation story about that first story from the VHS anthology. Not the best put together Horror film. The first part is decent but gets a bit too predictable towards the end. The VHS story was a bit better.

Kill Command was a bit better of a sci-fi horror film with killer soldier robot vs Marines! Not a bad way to spend a Saturday!

post #22939 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I decided on watching "The Arrival" which turned out to be a fairly decent "thinking" sci-fi story. Rented it for $1.49 and in 4K streaming. Thought it would just be $1.49 off the usual $7.99 4K price but all versions were $1.49. Four hexapods.
I liked the movie a lot and we need more of them but "fairly decent" is apt. It seems that after I watched it and then dug in on reviews and opinions that it blew everyone's mind out there in meatspace. It is really standard fare for fans of the genre but apparently it invented "thinking sci-fi" much like Deadpool invented the R rated action movie.
post #22940 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope Arrival gets at least one award tomorrow.

post #22941 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I liked the movie a lot and we need more of them but "fairly decent" is apt. It seems that after I watched it and then dug in on reviews and opinions that it blew everyone's mind out there in meatspace. It is really standard fare for fans of the genre but apparently it invented "thinking sci-fi" much like Deadpool invented the R rated action movie.
Once upon a time Sci-fi was a thinking genre,something to do with analog reading material (Books....).

post #22942 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Once upon a time Sci-fi was a thinking genre,something to do with analog reading material (Books....).
Edgar Rice Burroughs books got me interested in Sci-Fi.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #22943 of 22945 Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I think, without wading too deeply into it, most today are used to hand holding in their media intake. Not to mention at least 50% of today's mental capacity is reserved for finding fault with everything. 30% for dank meme creation for social media validation. Doesn't leave much to aspire to so simple message movies like Arrival "click."
post #22944 of 22945 Old Today, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I think, without wading too deeply into it, most today are used to hand holding in their media intake. Not to mention at least 50% of today's mental capacity is reserved for finding fault with everything. 30% for dank meme creation for social media validation. Doesn't leave much to aspire to so simple message movies like Arrival "click."
I think you're right

post #22945 of 22945 Old Today, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sad news today as one of my favorite actors of the 80's and 90's movies has passed on. Bill Paxton died from complications from surgery.

Dude was one of the only actors killed by The Terminator, Predator and Alien, rip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion