October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 769 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9021Likes

Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
I Don't Feel at Home in World Anymore was a good Netflix movie.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I just watched this movie and also thought it was very good. Not really horror but was really good with comedic scenes.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Universal films on HBO? Boy is the industry getting incestuous. I see more Universal films on Netflix probably due to deals being made when Netflix acquires and in some case partly finances a show. Some of these wind up quicker at the box and I have a stack of codes from mw popcorn for free DVD there or discount on the BD. Especially works nice when the box of mw popcorn is under $2.
Universal still has direct to video releases that aren't covered under the HBO exclusive contract.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Actually got a chance to watch a horror movie on Netflix just now.

Watched HARBINGER DOWN. A crab ship encounters a submerged Russian moon ship, and its got an organism on it. A little bit of Alien, a little bit of John Carpenters The Thing, and so on, but realize its lower budget and some hokey special effects compared to them, and certainly not a classic like they are, but overall very watchable and I enjoyed it.

For me, it was good to find a movie that was not A spooky ghost/demon/witch type movie. Give it a shot.

never take life seriously

Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Watched HARBINGER DOWN. A crab ship encounters a submerged Russian moon ship, and its got an organism on it. A little bit of Alien, a little bit of John Carpenters The Thing, and so on, but realize its lower budget and some hokey special effects compared to them, and certainly not a classic like they are, but overall very watchable and I enjoyed it.

For me, it was good to find a movie that was not A spooky ghost/demon/witch type movie. Give it a shot.
Lance Henriksen fanclub!

That was funded through Kickstarter and uses all (?) practical effects, not CG.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 03-16-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked: 11024
It's been awhile, but I recall liking Harbinger Down.

Very cool FYI about the film, Bill.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
I just watched this movie and also thought it was very good. Not really horror but was really good with comedic scenes.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
We watched it last weekend as well. Agree on the points above.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 578
The Devil's Candy hits theaters in limited release tomorrow, sad to say it's not playing in my area. The artwork/horror theme is one of my favorites, plus this has Pruitt Taylor Vince, so this one has some potential.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Baskin........ Holy balls, talk about bizarre to the nth degree!!! Just finished this thing and I'm honestly not sure what I experienced. What I am sure of though, is that this is getting another viewing in October (if I can hold off that long). Crazy, bloody, outrageous, imaginative....are just a few of the adjectives that come to mind.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 790
"Exposed" is a cop thriller which verges into the supernatural. Stars Keanu Reeves, Ana de Armas who also appeared in "Knock Knock" with Reeves and Mira Sorvino. It's a little messy at the beginning but the ending had a real payoff. Four subway tickets.

Available on Hulu but is probably part of their EPIX library.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Baskin........ Holy balls, talk about bizarre to the nth degree!!! Just finished this thing and I'm honestly not sure what I experienced. What I am sure of though, is that this is getting another viewing in October (if I can hold off that long). Crazy, bloody, outrageous, imaginative....are just a few of the adjectives that come to mind.
Scary too, especially when the cops first arrive at that weird building and are going from room to room...nightmare stuff!
ApolloCreed likes this.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Grabbed up some great BD titles 4 days ahead of official street date at my local movies 'n music store...
Invisible Ghost (Bela Lugosi)
Lifeboat (Alfred Hitchcock)
A Game of Death (Robert Wise's classic retelling of "The Most Dangerous Game")
Chamber of Horrors (Based on a story by Edgar Wallace of "King Kong" fame)
ADU and ApolloCreed like this.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Scary too, especially when the cops first arrive at that weird building and are going from room to room...nightmare stuff!
Damn right it was. Sound/set design were top notch as well.......and the dude that played the "leader" of the building has to be the creepiest cat in the entire world. So glad Amazon Video was all effed up last night, otherwise I had something completely different in mind.

Tonight, we watched Lake Mungo. 2nd time for me. I think it was maybe 7 or 8 years ago that I watched this for Oct and I remembered being pretty freaked out. Its part of the 8 Films to Die For series and is done as a documentary, found footage style....but with its own flavor. No jump scares really, just creepy imagery and story-telling. I highly recommend checking it out, especially for those who have Chiller. Otherwise, it would cost a few bucks on Amazon.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Watched Baskin a while back. Was a trip!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Watched Rouge One today. Pretty cool with a few good memorable scenes. However, I think I enjoyed The Force Awakens more.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 790
I slummed it last night and watched a Belgium made low budget movie "Laundry Man" on 247Horror. It's a Jeffery Dalmer inspired movie that gets quite gross. 247 has quite a few film school reject movie that one can't take beyond 5 minutes. This wasn't too bad except the filmmakers needed to learn how to handle audio. It's like they just used the unprocessed audio from the shoot and mixed it with the crappy often non-fitting library music. Musically they should have found a local composer who could do the trendy thing of recording a couple different instrument pads as held chords (ala American Horror Story). As for actor's sound low budget films of the 1970s even had that figured out. A little compression and EQ goes a long way as well as some portable pads to cut down on the echo. The movie could have been edited a bit more as there was sometimes more exposition than needed. The acting and writing was not as stiff as we see from student feature films that probably got a D from their film prof.
GoCaboNow likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Watched Rouge One today. Pretty cool with a few good memorable scenes. However, I think I enjoyed The Force Awakens more.
Same, it was pretty middle of the road for me. I liked the non Jedi side of things. Hopefully the Han Solo one is better, even though I'd rather just have a Lando flick with no Han anywhere in sight.
BornSlippyZ and The Mice like this.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Anyone seen The Eyes of My Mother?

Old 03-18-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
"Exposed" is a cop thriller which verges into the supernatural. Stars Keanu Reeves, Ana de Armas who also appeared in "Knock Knock" with Reeves and Mira Sorvino. It's a little messy at the beginning but the ending had a real payoff. Four subway tickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su72UDDUPko

Available on Hulu but is probably part of their EPIX library.
Not on Amazon Prime so it might not be EPIX, but Hulu is a good thing to have around anyway.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Make that not another Spooky Ghost/Demon/Witch/Zombie type of movie

Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 2588
Live action Beauty and the Beast is live action Beauty and the Beast. If I wasn't so familiar with the animated version this would be a pretty amazing fantasy flick.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 PM

Saw Logan tonight. Great movie! I recommend it.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Saw Logan tonight. Great movie! I recommend it.
It was badass!
I am going to see Life this Friday and going in with low expectations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Live action Beauty and the Beast is live action Beauty and the Beast. If I wasn't so familiar with the animated version this would be a pretty amazing fantasy flick.
My daughter really wants to see this! I might take her or my wife will.

Quote:
Anyone seen The Eyes of My Mother?

No I haven't see this yet. Is it good?

I was at a Best Buy this past Friday and they had an LG OLED tv for $1700. I believe it was a 55" and man is that a purdy tv! But I keep going back to the whole I want to put that kind of cash to a 4K Sony pj. Still the Sonys are a bit too expensive for me, but the want it strong for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ApolloCreed likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
It was badass!

I was at a Best Buy this past Friday and they had an LG OLED tv for $1700. I believe it was a 55" and man is that a purdy tv! But I keep going back to the whole I want to put that kind of cash to a 4K Sony pj. Still the Sonys are a bit too expensive for me, but the want it strong for it!

Yes saw it last night. It's a psychological film and not so much gore. I recommend it. Bought it at Best Buy for 12.99

BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
It was badass!

For a grand more-ish you can get the JVC 400 right now. Not native 4k like the Sony's but can take 4k content to produce a better pic than 1080p. By most accounts the difference is very small in detail between the two and the JVC rocks in brightness, blacks and is very sharp. I see it being at least 3-4 years before Epson or JVC has a quality native 4k offering in the sub $5000 range - probably longer for Sony.

I had hoped with the release of the jvc native 4k unit they could just drop the 4k panels in their 1080p lamp driven units and be good to go, but looks like their panels have a design issue that does not promote similar contrast like their 1080p models. Maybe it's an easy fix or maybe it adds a few more years to the cycle? I think if you buy something this year it will be at the very least 3 years before you feel like an idiot.

My pj keeps on trucking. 8 years old and I am still really happy with the pic as is the wife and family. If it were to conveniently die right now I think we could still get a handful of years on the new one before the 4k units are in the same price point. But my catholic upbringing, karma and lack of faith that the family would really see the difference has me waiting for the unit to die, or accidentally fall off it's perch?
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It was badass!

I really liked Logan. Great story, great acting and to finally see the damage those claws can unleash. It was awesome!

Got caught up in The Shallows on one of the movie channels. A lot better than I anticipated. Good thriller. Plus Blake Lively looks great in a bikini.

You buying a new OLED, BSZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
For a grand more-ish you can get the JVC 400 right now. Not native 4k like the Sony's but can take 4k content to produce a better pic than 1080p. By most accounts the difference is very small in detail between the two and the JVC rocks in brightness, blacks and is very sharp. I see it being at least 3-4 years before Epson or JVC has a quality native 4k offering in the sub $5000 range - probably longer for Sony.

I had hoped with the release of the jvc native 4k unit they could just drop the 4k panels in their 1080p lamp driven units and be good to go, but looks like their panels have a design issue that does not promote similar contrast like their 1080p models. Maybe it's an easy fix or maybe it adds a few more years to the cycle? I think if you buy something this year it will be at the very least 3 years before you feel like an idiot.

My pj keeps on trucking. 8 years old and I am still really happy with the pic as is the wife and family. If it were to conveniently die right now I think we could still get a handful of years on the new one before the 4k units are in the same price point. But my catholic upbringing, karma and lack of faith that the family would really see the difference has me waiting for the unit to die, or accidentally fall off it's perch?
I thought about that Epson 6040. But I'm still limping along with my dieing JVC. I'm really hoping Epson comes out with a new true 4k pj next year. Then again, I don't really care about 4k. Maybe I'll wait and get a good deal on that 6040 later on.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I really liked Logan. Great story, great acting and to finally see the damage those claws can unleash. It was awesome!

Got caught up in The Shallows on one of the movie channels. A lot better than I anticipated. Good thriller. Plus Blake Lively looks great in a bikini.

You buying a new OLED, BSZ?

I thought about that Epson 6040. But I'm still limping along with my dieing JVC. I'm really hoping Epson comes out with a new true 4k pj next year. Then again, I don't really care about 4k. Maybe I'll wait and get a good deal on that 6040 later on.

I wish! I thought it was a decent deal but it is a decent amount of cash though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

You guys post is really making me think that I should be happy with what I have (good thing) because the next step is pricey and it will be a while before prices come down so I should just enjoy my stuff!

Quote:
Yes saw it last night. It's a psychological film and not so much gore. I recommend it. Bought it at Best Buy for 12.99

I will see this because I like psychological movies!

GoCaboNow and asere like this.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We've been rockin an Epson 8700UB for the past 4-5 years and it still produces a glorious image. Chalk me up as another guy not really that interested in a 4k projector right now. I'm confident that I can wait this out until the price gets down to roughly what I paid for the Epson....unless of course it dies. In that case, I'd really be stuck in a dilemma.

Anyway, time to start Black Mirror. Expectations are high
darthrsg and BornSlippyZ like this.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Introduced my 11-year old daughter to the world of B-movie horror with the 1958 classic, "The Blob". She loved it, the hokey special effects and awkward dated dialogue kept her entertained. And she got to see her first Steve McQueen movie at the same time! She immediately asked afterwards if I had any other movies "like The Blob"...hmm, I think so!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It was badass!

I had to see Beauty and The Beast for work ( I work for part of the crazy movie business). That being said, it was really well done. Both your daughter and your wife will like it. You might too.
Life might be promising, the trailers don't look that good but there have been more than a few movies that turned out to be good with bad advertising. The concept is very 'Alien' like in some ways.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Last edited by tenthplanet; 03-20-2017 at 12:29 AM. Reason: whoops
Old 03-20-2017, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Introduced my 11-year old daughter to the world of B-movie horror with the 1958 classic, "The Blob". She loved it, the hokey special effects and awkward dated dialogue kept her entertained. And she got to see her first Steve McQueen movie at the same time! She immediately asked afterwards if I had any other movies "like The Blob"...hmm, I think so!
Now she's prepared for the 1988 version of The Blob which has not quite as cheesy sfx but still has awkward dated dialogue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement