October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 781 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9397Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I likes me some Berserk. I remember playing it on the Sega Dreamcast. Not sure what Crunchyroll is tho.

Speaking of classic games, Castevania is coming to Netflix July 7th.


https://youtu.be/iIMrFnl5NiA
Crunchyroll is a pretty decent site for streaming anime, lots of stuff free in 480p, you pay a fee for HD and dubbed. I subscribe for a month every year or so to get my fix.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
darthrsg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
We are the only people that liked Covenant.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Watched "Dig Two Graves" starring Ted Levine on Netflix last night. A bit of a supernatural thriller. Good 1977 period piece.
Brian Conrad is offline  
 
Old 05-25-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
We are the only people that liked Covenant.
THO: You are the only people that count # HornedOneSpeaks
darthrsg likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 4,295
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Midnight, Texas - Series premiere July 25th on NBC.

tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.
Ken.F is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 4,295
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Blood Drive - Series premiere June 14th on Syfy channel.

Trailer and more info here: http://www.syfy.com/blooddrive/about

The official trailer is also on YouTube but it's too NSFW to link to it here. I don't know how they are going to get away with showing this on TV.
darthrsg likes this.
Ken.F is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
We are the only people that liked Covenant.


I see a few of you posting on the Covenant thread and that is cool! All of the naysayers on this site will be buying the movie on BD or 4KBD just to see it at home!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Blood Drive - Series premiere June 14th on Syfy channel.

Trailer and more info here: http://www.syfy.com/blooddrive/about

The official trailer is also on YouTube but it's too NSFW to link to it here. I don't know how they are going to get away with showing this on TV.
If it's like the Expanse it airs unedited everywhere but here apparently. F bombs etc.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 4,295
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
If it's like the Expanse it airs unedited everywhere but here apparently. F bombs etc.
Where else can you watch it? I checked Hulu but the only thing listed under the Syfy channel are 12 Monkeys and Battlestar Galactica.
Ken.F is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Where else can you watch it? I checked Hulu but the only thing listed under the Syfy channel are 12 Monkeys and Battlestar Galactica.
Canadian Syfy aka Space. I was shocked to hear the f bombs and thought I was hearing things. I am pro f bomb however so I moved on instead of starting a change dot org.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
Ken.F likes this.

Last edited by darthrsg; 05-26-2017 at 08:03 PM.
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Supernatural season 12 was added to Netflix's lineup today. I skipped watching the last few episodes of the season after showing a friend who is a fan of "The Flash" how it looks on Netflix. Worth the wait and no ads.

This is a typical example of what I mean by those "coming and going" lists not being in any way complete. "Supernatural" was only listed as "coming soon" on the May list with no date indicated.
Brian Conrad is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:21 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,054
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Watched a couple pretty good oldies this week...



I'm sure this film has been mentioned here before.

Cult of the Cobra is one of Universal's better low-budget 50's thrillers, about some GIs returning home after becoming entangled with a malicious group of "Lamians" (aka snake-worshippers). This was one of several genre pictures which helped to cement Faith Domergue's reputation as one of the queens of "B" SF/horror movies during the 1950's.



After making Cult, she went on to do a number of other movies and TV shows in the genre, including Uni's This Island Earth, Ray Harryhausen's It Came from Beneath the Sea (not one of her best imo), and also some giallo pics later in her career.



Domergue's last performance, in 1974, was an early example of "meta-horror" called The House of Seven Corpses. In it she plays (what else) an actress making a B-horror movie...


This is low-budget camp at its best, or worst, depending on your POV...

Quote:
"Daryl Loomis of DVD Verdict wrote, "While there are things to enjoy about The House of Seven Corpses, it is completely forgettable, mostly because it's patently unscary."

ADU
ADU is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Watched a couple pretty good oldies this week...



I'm sure this film has been mentioned here before.

Cult of the Cobra is one of Universal's better low-budget 50's thrillers, about some GIs returning home after becoming entangled with a malicious group of "Lamians" (aka snake-worshippers). This was one of several genre pictures which helped to cement Faith Domergue's reputation as one of the queens of "B" SF/horror movies during the 1950's.



After making Cult, she went on to do a number of other movies and TV shows in the genre, including Uni's This Island Earth, Ray Harryhausen's It Came from Beneath the Sea (not one of her best imo), and also some giallo pics later in her career.



Domergue's last performance, in 1974, was an early example of "meta-horror" called The House of Seven Corpses. In it she plays (what else) an actress making a B-horror movie...

The House of Seven Corpses - Trailer

This is low-budget camp at its best, or worst, depending on your POV...



"Daryl Loomis of DVD Verdict wrote, "While there are things to enjoy about The House of Seven Corpses, it is completely forgettable, mostly because it's patently unscary."
Sounds like Daryl was describing 'It Follows' Otherwise a nice post, loved the poster art. Sounds like current horror film makers could learn a thing or two by watching some of the older B films.
ADU likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:57 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,054
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Sounds like Daryl was describing 'It Follows' Otherwise a nice post, loved the poster art. Sounds like current horror film makers could learn a thing or two by watching some of the older B films.
+1, on the last bit. (Haven't seen It Follows.)

The other film was Doctor Morelle: The Case of the Missing Heiress...



This is an early B&W mystery/suspense thriller made by Hammer Films in 1949 (before horror became the studio's mainstay), based on a popular BBC radio series.

The story and acting are a little bit clunky, but it has some nice low-budget B&W lighting and atmosphere. And fans of the period will definitely recognize a few fun familiar faces in this. If you like grimy old suspense films in the Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot mold, this is also a pretty good choice for some kicked-back late night viewing.



Bob McLaughlin likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 05-26-2017 at 04:16 PM.
ADU is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
I love those classic movie posters!

Anybody watching Raw, Get Out on VOD? This might do one of them this weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ADU likes this.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I see a few of you posting on the Covenant thread and that is cool! All of the naysayers on this site will be buying the movie on BD or 4KBD just to see it at home!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went with my boss and we've been talking about it a week straight.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I went with my boss and we've been talking about it a week straight.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk


Cool boss! I had great bosses but I don't think they would watch any of my movies!

Preorder for the 4k Alien Covenant is only $22 usd! I went ahead and preorder it and I will wait to see if Target or Best Buy has exclusive steelbooks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darthrsg likes this.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Finally watching Get Out on Amazon streaming!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Cool boss! I had great bosses but I don't think they would watch any of my movies!

Preorder for the 4k Alien Covenant is only $22 usd! I went ahead and preorder it and I will wait to see if Target or Best Buy has exclusive steelbooks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's is cool. Pretty much leaves me alone as long he gets no issues.

We shared and office for 5 years so we are pretty close. Best boss I've ever had. We'll probably retire together.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
He's is cool. Pretty much leaves me alone as long he gets no issues.

We shared and office for 5 years so we are pretty close. Best boss I've ever had. We'll probably retire together.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk


See that is badass and pretty damn rare these days!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Cool boss! I had great bosses but I don't think they would watch any of my movies!

Preorder for the 4k Alien Covenant is only $22 usd! I went ahead and preorder it and I will wait to see if Target or Best Buy has exclusive steelbooks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw that price, I'll probably pre-order it too, at that price for 4k even THO could afford it.
THO: Hey!
Me: I said afford it, you don't have to buy it. It's not like you don't know people who will get it.
THO: Ok...hey wait a minute.
Me:
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 856
I have "This Island Earth" on DVD. That was the second time I saw it, the first being when it came out in theaters.

Talking about older films I watched David Cronenberg's "Rabid" which is available on Showtime (I have the Hulu add-on). Stars that great horror star Marilyn Chambers. Well worth the watch and the PQ is excellent.
ADU and BornSlippyZ like this.
Brian Conrad is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Watched Logan. Great stuff. I'm fond of movies with a serious/depressive tone. Puts some things into perspective.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Kain is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
I knew Alien wasn't going to do Guardians money but it totally got killed at the box office.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I knew Alien wasn't going to do Guardians money but it totally got killed at the box office.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
Curse of the "R" rating, studios hate "R" ratings on expensive movies. Also critics who don't get Sci-Fi or horror didn't help. And I would have opened it two weeks before Guardians if it were up to me.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Curse of the "R" rating, studios hate "R" ratings on expensive movies. Also critics who don't get Sci-Fi or horror didn't help. And I would have opened it two weeks before Guardians if it were up to me.
Agree.

Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 13,235
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4810 Post(s)
Liked: 11189
I don't think the new Alien is getting killed at the box. It's currently in 4th place this week with a gross of $49,822,181 domestic. What is getting killed is that new King Arthur movie. King Arthur has been done to death. All one needs is Monty Python's Holy Grail and Excalibur.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I don't think the new Alien is getting killed at the box. It's currently in 4th place this week with a gross of $49,822,181 domestic. What is getting killed is that new King Arthur movie. King Arthur has been done to death. All one needs is Monty Python's Holy Grail and Excalibur.
I was reading through this.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/34...nt-box-office/



Sent from my Google NSA Link XL using Tapatalk
darthrsg is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I don't think the new Alien is getting killed at the box. It's currently in 4th place this week with a gross of $49,822,181 domestic. What is getting killed is that new King Arthur movie. King Arthur has been done to death. All one needs is Monty Python's Holy Grail and Excalibur.
Funny you should mention 'Excalibur,' I started to watch it, and being familiar with John Boorman's other films I didn't think I would be too surprised. Visually interesting, otherwise
it's way too close to 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail'. Good actors being made to look like bad actors. At the risk of being struck by lightning, Guy Ritchie's King Arthur blows Excalibur out of the water, it's more entertaining and kicks way more ass.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
I think Fox is probably more concerned with Worldwide box office now rather than the finicky American market. Still sucks but I do think overly negative reviews has hurt this movie via social media.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off