October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1106Likes

post #2341 of 11718 Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Putting The Devil Inside on my 2012 list and keeping low expectations.

They should have done a series with The Midnight Meat Train or at least a sequel. That movie is much better than most of the crap out nowadays.

Saw this pop up today. Could be OK!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 11718 Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I like. Especially the trailer ending. Kind of reminds me of The Ring (which I love).
post #2343 of 11718 Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 177
As Wiz said, it could be ok. I didnt care for the Paranormal Activity series in the least, i need something further out, perhaps this one hopefully is, it looks like it is.

Has anyone seen Chernobyl Diaries?

never take life seriously
post #2344 of 11718 Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Putting The Devil Inside on my 2012 list and keeping low expectations.

They should have done a series with The Midnight Meat Train or at least a sequel. That movie is much better than most of the crap out nowadays.

Saw this pop up today. Could be OK!

Ha, the scene with the guy sliding backwards in the chair... "There is no Dana, only Zuul"

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #2345 of 11718 Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

As Wiz said, it could be ok. I didnt care for the Paranormal Activity series in the least, i need something further out, perhaps this one hopefully is, it looks like it is.

I think we have similar tastes in horror, but we definitely differ on this. I thoroughly enjoy the PA series. Maybe not as good as the hype suggested when it first came out, but they do succeed at scaring the sh$% out of you (at least they did for me).
post #2346 of 11718 Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

I think we have similar tastes in horror, but we definitely differ on this. I thoroughly enjoy the PA series. Maybe not as good as the hype suggested when it first came out, but they do succeed at scaring the sh$% out of you (at least they did for me).

Scare or startle? I haven't seen any of them.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #2347 of 11718 Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Scare or startle? I haven't seen any of them.

larry

Maybe a little of both. If by "startle", you mean sound effects to get you to jump. I guess they do have a lot of that , but not in a ridiculous, misplaced kind of way (for example, a cat that has nothing to do with the movie suddenly jumps into the babysitter's lap during a quiet scene). For me, the build up and anticipation in these movies work well. You know something is going to happen, but they make you wait...and wait...and wait. I know the PA series isn't for everybody, but I really enjoy them.
post #2348 of 11718 Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Maybe a little of both. If by "startle", you mean sound effects to get you to jump. I guess they do have a lot of that , but not in a ridiculous, misplaced kind of way (for example, a cat that has nothing to do with the movie suddenly jumps into the babysitter's lap during a quiet scene). For me, the build up and anticipation in these movies work well. You know something is going to happen, but they make you wait...and wait...and wait. I know the PA series isn't for everybody, but I really enjoy them.

Ok, thanks. A friend of mine asks me if a movie is scarey and I tell him nothing in a movie scares me, so I can't really say yes. It turns out he means what I would call "disturbing". He's a wimp when it comes to movies...

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #2349 of 11718 Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Ok, thanks. A friend of mine asks me if a movie is scarey and I tell him nothing in a movie scares me, so I can't really say yes. It turns out he means what I would call "disturbing". He's a wimp when it comes to movies...

larry

I enjoy the PA movies well enough, like Apollo said it's the anticipation. There are some jumpy moments but more than anything the PA movies just make you feel nervous and unsure. It's that unsettling feeling and the general likability of the characters that lend some success to the films IMO.

My Rig

post #2350 of 11718 Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1090360/

Watched this one tonite and really enjoyed it!
Essentially, it is a take-off of the Blair Witch shtick.

Starts somewhat slow....however, at the 47 minute mark it really starts to get going.

I recommend this one to October's list....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2351 of 11718 Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Anyone seen "The Tenant" yet? Seems to be only at Redbox but not at any of the 7 within the couple miles of me. They must stock by some kind of demographic. It gets reviews all over the place. What makes me interested is some of the reviews said "actually scary."
post #2352 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1090360/

Starts somewhat slow....however, at the 47 minute mark it really starts to get going.

Cool I'm going to add this one. I'm looking for anything newer that's not horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Anyone seen "The Tenant" yet? Seems to be only at Redbox but not at any of the 7 within the couple miles of me. They must stock by some kind of demographic. It gets reviews all over the place. What makes me interested is some of the reviews said "actually scary."

Haven't heard of this but the trailer looks good enough. I knew I recognized the one chick: Jenn Sterger? Ha! Count me in!

Anyone like Nazi Zombies?

Reviews say it's pretty average. Damn.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-The-Dead...8305378&sr=8-1

post #2353 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Fixed your link Looks good, I remember seeing this in blockbuster a while back but never rented it. I'll queue this up for sure but no promises that it will wait for October

Quote:

Cool I'm going to add this one. I'm looking for anything newer that's not horrible.

Haven't heard of this but the trailer looks good enough. I knew I recognized the one chick: Jenn Sterger? Ha! Count me in!

Reviews say it's pretty average. Damn.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-The-Dead...8305378&sr=8-1

Looks fun, can't be any worse the Dead Snow and that was fun.

I started watching this one last night but my internet connection crapped out on me so will have to finish tonight... looks good.

My Rig

post #2354 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Larry does.

I would order a Region-Free BD if one was available....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2355 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

War of the Dead looks definetely worth a watch.

Not sure on the Mum & Dad, the premise is great, let us know how much is shown, how gorey it really is.

post #2356 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry does.

I would order a Region-Free BD if one was available....

That Insignia BRDVD3 is still selling on amazon for $45. Here is the firmware for region free. Power it on, open the tray and press "9113" on the remote, select your DVD or BR region and enjoy freedom my friend.

yankeeman, it looks to have potential but I'll let you know.

My Rig

post #2357 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I'll recommend "The Tenant". I happened to be by one of the more distant Redboxes that I knew had the disc so rented it. Fairly decent horror film though not as scary as some of the RB reviews said. I'm not sure what scares people anymore and I don't think many directors do either. Took it back to a nearby RB so it's now in circulation in this area.

I watched probably about a half hour of "Mum and Dad" and didn't feel encouraged to finish it. Maybe it's because I've watched to much of those genres lately.
post #2358 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks - going to add The Tenant too. The efx looked pretty good in the trailer.

Have you guys heard about the naked flesh-eating zombie man in Florida? This almost sounds like viral marketing for a movie. Yankeeman you ready for the outbreak down there?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/29...ng-bath-salts/

A naked man who chewed off the face of another man in what is being called a zombie-like attack may have been under the influence of "bath salts," a drug referred to as the new LSD, according to reports from CNN affiliates in Miami.

The horrific attack occurred Saturday and was only stopped after a police officer shot the attacker several times, killing him.

Larry Vega witnessed the attack on Miami's MacArthur Causeway. He told CNN affiliate WSVN he saw one naked man chewing off the face of another naked man.

"The guy was like tearing him to pieces with his mouth, so I told him, 'Get off!'" Vega told WSVN. "You know it's like the guy just kept eating the other guy away, like ripping his skin."

"It was just a blob of blood," WSVN quoted Vega as saying. "You couldn't really see, it was just blood all over the place."

Vega said he flagged down a passing police officer.

"When the officer approached him, told him to stop, pointed a gun at him, he turned around and growled like a wild animal and kept eating at the man's face," Fraternal Order of Police President Armando Aguilar told CNN affiliate WPLG.

Augilar said he suspects the attacker, identified as 31-year-old Rudy Eugene, was under the influence of "bath salts." Four other drug use instances in Miami-Dade bear resemblances to Saturday's attack, he told WPLG.

"It causes them to go completely insane and become very violent" and take off their clothes, Augilar told WPLG.

Dr. Paul Adams, an emergency room physician at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, told CNN affiliate WBFS that the drug makes users delirious. They exhibit elevated temperatures and extreme physical strength, Adams said.

I took care of a 150 pound individual who you would have thought he was 250 pounds, WBFS quoted Adams as saying. It took six security officers to restrain the individual.

Adams said users have been known to use their jaws as weapons, according to WBFS.

According to a 2011 report from the National Institute of Drug Abuse, bath salts contain amphetamine-like chemicals.

"Doctors and clinicians at U.S. poison centers have indicated that ingesting or snorting 'bath salts' containing synthetic stimulants can cause chest pains, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, agitation, hallucinations, extreme paranoia, and delusions," according to the NIDA report.

In October, the Drug Enforcement Administration made possession of the stimulants in bath salts, Mephedrone, 3,4 methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) and Methylone, illegal under an emergency order. The order lasts for a year with a possible six-month extension.

The stimulants have been placed under restrictions or banned in 37 states, according to a DEA press release.

The victim of Saturday's attack, whom police have not identified, was in critical condition at Jackson Memorial on Monday, according to the WPLG report. Augilar told WPLG that 75% to 80% of his face was missing.

Eugene had an arrest record, mostly misdemeanors, including a battery charge from when he was 16 that was later dropped, according to the Miami Herald.

He had been married but divorced in 2007, WPLG reported. His former wife told the station that Eugene had been violent toward her.

Homeless people near where the attack took place said Eugene was often seen around the area looking confused, according to WPLG.

post #2359 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I'll recommend "The Tenant". I happened to be by one of the more distant Redboxes that I knew had the disc so rented it. Fairly decent horror film though not as scary as some of the RB reviews said. I'm not sure what scares people anymore and I don't think many directors do either. Took it back to a nearby RB so it's now in circulation in this area.

I watched probably about a half hour of "Mum and Dad" and didn't feel encouraged to finish it. Maybe it's because I've watched to much of those genres lately.

The Tenant is not showing up on NF or vudu

Quote:

Thanks - going to add The Tenant too. The efx looked pretty good in the trailer.

Have you guys heard about the naked flesh-eating zombie man in Florida? This almost sounds like viral marketing for a movie. Yankeeman you ready for the outbreak down there?

I saw that, crazy! I guess it's perfect timing that my new stripped lower shipped today for my next AR build... here zombie zombie zombie

My Rig

post #2360 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/29...ng-bath-salts/

A naked man who chewed off the face of another man in what is being called a zombie-like attack may have been under the influence of "bath salts," a drug referred to as the new LSD, according to reports from CNN affiliates in Miami.

The horrific attack occurred Saturday and was only stopped after a police officer shot the attacker several times, killing him.

Larry Vega witnessed the attack on Miami's MacArthur Causeway. He told CNN affiliate WSVN he saw one naked man chewing off the face of another naked man.

"The guy was like tearing him to pieces with his mouth, so I told him, 'Get off!'" Vega told WSVN. "You know it's like the guy just kept eating the other guy away, like ripping his skin."

"It was just a blob of blood," WSVN quoted Vega as saying. "You couldn't really see, it was just blood all over the place."

Vega said he flagged down a passing police officer.

"When the officer approached him, told him to stop, pointed a gun at him, he turned around and growled like a wild animal and kept eating at the man's face," Fraternal Order of Police President Armando Aguilar told CNN affiliate WPLG.

Augilar said he suspects the attacker, identified as 31-year-old Rudy Eugene, was under the influence of "bath salts." Four other drug use instances in Miami-Dade bear resemblances to Saturday's attack, he told WPLG.

"It causes them to go completely insane and become very violent" and take off their clothes, Augilar told WPLG.

Dr. Paul Adams, an emergency room physician at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, told CNN affiliate WBFS that the drug makes users delirious. They exhibit elevated temperatures and extreme physical strength, Adams said.

I took care of a 150 pound individual who you would have thought he was 250 pounds, WBFS quoted Adams as saying. It took six security officers to restrain the individual.

Adams said users have been known to use their jaws as weapons, according to WBFS.

According to a 2011 report from the National Institute of Drug Abuse, bath salts contain amphetamine-like chemicals.

"Doctors and clinicians at U.S. poison centers have indicated that ingesting or snorting 'bath salts' containing synthetic stimulants can cause chest pains, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, agitation, hallucinations, extreme paranoia, and delusions," according to the NIDA report.

In October, the Drug Enforcement Administration made possession of the stimulants in bath salts, Mephedrone, 3,4 methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) and Methylone, illegal under an emergency order. The order lasts for a year with a possible six-month extension.

The stimulants have been placed under restrictions or banned in 37 states, according to a DEA press release.

The victim of Saturday's attack, whom police have not identified, was in critical condition at Jackson Memorial on Monday, according to the WPLG report. Augilar told WPLG that 75% to 80% of his face was missing.

Eugene had an arrest record, mostly misdemeanors, including a battery charge from when he was 16 that was later dropped, according to the Miami Herald.

He had been married but divorced in 2007, WPLG reported. His former wife told the station that Eugene had been violent toward her.

Homeless people near where the attack took place said Eugene was often seen around the area looking confused, according to WPLG.

This is but the first report of many that are to come. Shoot for the head...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #2361 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I saw that, crazy! I guess it's perfect timing that my new stripped lower shipped today for my next AR build... here zombie zombie zombie

Ha! Nice!

I don't know much about guns but methinks it's time to change that. A shovel won't help me much.

post #2362 of 11718 Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Bath salts are continuing to gain ground as a popular "legal" drug. I know that they are working to ban people from selling bath salts on the internet, but unfortunately, it turns into a game of "catch me if you can" as the "chemists" just keep changing a molecule here and there to circumvent the bans. Same thing with "legal" marijuana. Both of these drugs have extremely serious side effects including heart attacks, suicidal ideations and severe hallucinations leading to some people completely losing touch with reality such as our gentleman in Miami.

In a recent conference that I attended on teen killers, we discussed a case of a seemingly sweet and innocent teenage girl who lost complete control one night (after watching a scary movie) and proceeded to do similar things that this Miami guy was doing. Apparently, she was bipolar and had stopped taking her medication a few weeks prior. To make a long story short, she killed her younger sister and proceeded to stab out her eyes and cook some of her organs in the oven before attacking her mother and trying to bite and stab her mother to death. The reports indicate that she was naked and growling like an animal as she chased her mother down in the yard and tried to tear her apart with her teeth and a small knife. Apparently, "the demons that were in her head" were compelling her to do it. It still completely freaks me out when I think that this horrific situation actually occurred in real life. I had kind of forgotten about it until I saw this story about the guy in Miami.
post #2363 of 11718 Old 05-30-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing surprises me down here anymore, what an area, but this one trumps most of our insane stories. Two naked men, one eating the others face, and doesnt stop after getting shot, has to be shot multiple times!! Talk about a great scene for a movie. Only in Miami.

post #2364 of 11718 Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bath salts are continuing to gain ground as a popular "legal" drug. I know that they are working to ban people from selling bath salts on the internet, but unfortunately, it turns into a game of "catch me if you can" as the "chemists" just keep changing a molecule here and there to circumvent the bans. Same thing with "legal" marijuana. Both of these drugs have extremely serious side effects including heart attacks, suicidal ideations and severe hallucinations leading to some people completely losing touch with reality such as our gentleman in Miami.

In a recent conference that I attended on teen killers, we discussed a case of a seemingly sweet and innocent teenage girl who lost complete control one night (after watching a scary movie) and proceeded to do similar things that this Miami guy was doing. Apparently, she was bipolar and had stopped taking her medication a few weeks prior. To make a long story short, she killed her younger sister and proceeded to stab out her eyes and cook some of her organs in the oven before attacking her mother and trying to bite and stab her mother to death. The reports indicate that she was naked and growling like an animal as she chased her mother down in the yard and tried to tear her apart with her teeth and a small knife. Apparently, "the demons that were in her head" were compelling her to do it. It still completely freaks me out when I think that this horrific situation actually occurred in real life. I had kind of forgotten about it until I saw this story about the guy in Miami.

Apollo that is truly frightening. Real life horror. I hadn't even heard about these bath salts until now and the stories are insane.

Gawker poster pics of the man's eaten face for the curious. Ummm....

post #2365 of 11718 Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK now we've got a crazy guy in my state cutting out his intestines and throwing them at the police. What the what! It has begun...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1554126.html

post #2366 of 11718 Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 891
post #2367 of 11718 Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

This for the trifecta of weird recent news:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...3ccee78488.2d1
Quote:

TOKYO — A Japanese artist cooked his own genitals and served them to five paying diners in Tokyo to cover the medical costs, in a bizarre act to raise awareness about sexual minorities.

Mao Sugiyama had his penis and testicles surgically removed in March and kept them frozen for two months before dishing them out -- seasoned and braised -- to customers at an event hall on May 13, according to postings on his Twitter account and local police.

Diners paid 20,000 yen ($250) for the plate with a portion of genitals. Pictures published on a website appeared to show the meal came complete with mushrooms and a parsley garnish.

The painter, who is reportedly 22, said on Twitter the organ had been removed by a physician and certified to be free of infections.

The meal was prepared under the supervision of a certified cook and diners were required to sign a waiver indemnifying Sugiyama and event organisers.

In May 18 tweets, the artist said steps were taken so the act met all relevant laws, including a ban on organ sales, processing of medical waste and even food sanitation requirements.

"I receive questions from some women and men... asking 'Will there be a next time? Please host it again.' But there is only one set of male organ," he tweeted on May 16.

"Unfortunately, I have no plan for the next time."

Sugiyama, who considers himself "asexual", that is without gender, initially thought about eating the genitals himself, but decided to solicit paying customers to help pay his hospital bills for the surgery.

In an email to AFP, he confirmed the event had taken place and said it was organised to raise awareness about "sexual minorities, x-gender, asexual people". He said he was readying to publish an official account of the day.

Police in Tokyo said they knew of the episode, but added that it had not broken the law as cannibalism was not illegal in Japan.

"We are aware of the case. There was nothing (criminal) to it. It does not violate any detailed rules. There is nothing to take action about," an officer at Suginami police station told AFP.

post #2368 of 11718 Old 05-30-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! 'Will there be a next time? Please host it again.' As Bill Engvall would say, "Here's your sign."

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #2369 of 11718 Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Its the end of the world as we know it, dogs & cats sleeping together......

Wow, the crazies are out!!!

post #2370 of 11718 Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You got a link to this by chance?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page