October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 811 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10997Likes

post #24301 of 24949 Old 09-12-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Theaters out in Ca are always crowded, I don't blame you!

I will say though when i got out of IT on Friday (6:30pm). I liked the food they were serving! Gourmet cheese burgers and fried meatballs dipped in marinara! I just might have to see a later showing next time for Bladerunner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late shows and reserved seats are your friends.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24302 of 24949 Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Late shows and reserved seats are your friends.

My local theater does reserve seating which I think is the best invention since sliced bread! I also think, that the concessions upgrading to better (but more $$$) snacks is pretty cool! I have had those fried meatballs dancing in my head for a while!

post #24303 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OT but on the gaming front, I rented Destiny 2 today and for a shooter it is alright. But more of the same, with a bit more story this time. I will not be buying this but fans of this game might want to. Horizon Zero Dawn spoiled me lol!

darthrsg likes this.

post #24304 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Theaters out in Ca are always crowded, I don't blame you!

I will say though when i got out of IT on Friday (6:30pm). I liked the food they were serving! Gourmet cheese burgers and fried meatballs dipped in marinara! I just might have to see a later showing next time for Bladerunner!

Yes, there is reserved seating at the nearby theater and lazy boy seating too (at now extra charge). I prefer matinees because they are not crowded. A few times I was the only customer in an auditorium. But thing is I can't for the life of me find the pause button.
post #24305 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Hey all, almost that time of year again!

I saw IT last night and woh, much better than I expected! Maybe I went in dismissing the hype but it was really great. Excellent writing and cast chemistry. So what's new? Too much for me to catch up on so hit me with the gems I need to add to my watchlist for next month!

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #24306 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OT but on the gaming front, I rented Destiny 2 today and for a shooter it is alright. But more of the same, with a bit more story this time. I will not be buying this but fans of this game might want to. Horizon Zero Dawn spoiled me lol!

I hardly play anymore but will be picking up Battlefront and will probably skip COD for the second year in a row. I hooked up my old xbox for the kids and have been re-addicted to Burnout Takedown
BornSlippyZ and The Mice like this.

post #24307 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
I hardly play anymore but will be picking up Battlefront and will probably skip COD for the second year in a row. I hooked up my old xbox for the kids and have been re-addicted to Burnout Takedown

Long time no hear! Very cool you are posting in here again!

Yeah I like the Battlefront game but man I think I am burnt out on fps games. I think the only game I plan to get it is the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion pack.

As far as Horror gems, I would say The Devils Candy and The Void are worthy for October!

General Kenobi likes this.
post #24308 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

That's really good about the original Xbox! I still have my 2004 Holiday Edition of the console which I originally bought brand new. Early in 2016, it developed bulging capacitors on the motherboard and wouldn't turn on and needed service, but I got that squared away and all is good again. Not too long ago, I was re-visiting Need For Speed Underground on it. Hard but fun game! I also have Burnout 3 lurking around somewhere, good times with that one for sure!
post #24309 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Yes, there is reserved seating at the nearby theater and lazy boy seating too (at now extra charge). I prefer matinees because they are not crowded. A few times I was the only customer in an auditorium. But thing is I can't for the life of me find the pause button.

Definitely, when I do go out to see a movie (which isn't very often anymore), I pretty much always go to weekday matinees. So much better generally speaking. Although not too long ago, I saw Annabelle Creation and it was fun to watch some of the audience reaction to some scenes. Lots of squirming in their seats, some jumps, and even a few screams! It was a hoot.
post #24310 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
It's like on demand "During this program functions for FF, REW, and PAUSE may be disabled"
THO: "You want a pause button, I know a guy"
ME: Don't fall for it THO needs beer money ( he doesn't like cheap beer)
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #24311 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I like the Battlefront game but man I think I am burnt out on fps games. I think the only game I plan to get it is the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion pack.

As far as Horror gems, I would say The Devils Candy and The Void are worthy for October!

All hail the return of the General

post #24312 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quick post before I dive back into disaster recovery shenanigans at work.

Two docs on Amazon.

One is VHS Revolution, a fast paced look at the rise of home video from betamax to fall of rental stores. They show a fair bit on the European push to ban tapes and talk about Faces of Death.

The second, VHS Massacre: Cult Films and the Decline of Physical Media. Troma bitches about Netflix, VHS fans bitch about Blockbuster, it's glorious. Full of stats on sales and sadness over rental places closing. The jist being that lack of title discovery for streaming is killing small studios and indie films. I'd say the same for music. There's a literal ton of great stuff out there but finding it is nearly impossible.

Sent from my Crystal Radio.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Last edited by darthrsg; 09-13-2017 at 07:33 PM.
post #24313 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5109 Post(s)
Liked: 11779
Quote:
All hail the return of the General

post #24314 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Two docs on Amazon.

One is VHS Revolution, a fast paced look at the rise of home video from betamax to fall of rental stores. They show a fair bit on the European push to ban tapes and talk about Faces of Death.

The second, VHS Massacre: Cult Films and the Decline of Physical Media. Troma bitches about Netflix, VHS fans bitch about Blockbuster, it's glorious. Full of stats on sales and sadness over rental places closing. The jist being that lack of title discovery for streaming is killing small studios and indie films. I'd say the same for music. There's a literal ton of great stuff out there but finding it is nearly impossible.

I think it's just a reflection of the old vinyl/cassette/cd business thing. There have always been people who dug through bins of new stuff, old stuff, obscure stuff. Who listened to the radio stations on the left end of the dial. Then there were people who hated digging through bins and just bought stuff in the mall record stores and only dug through bins when they had to. As everyone moves on-line you still have people who won't get their hands dirty, who won't dig in (the now digital) bins. Discovery means "get out there and look around". Discovery takes work, it always has.
I will now get off my soap box, actually a large plastic food crate, I've never seen a soap box in my life.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #24315 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I think it's just a reflection of the old vinyl/cassette/cd business thing. There have always been people who dug through bins of new stuff, old stuff, obscure stuff. Who listened to the radio stations on the left end of the dial. Then there were people who hated digging through bins and just bought stuff in the mall record stores and only dug through bins when they had to. As everyone moves on-line you still have people who won't get their hands dirty, who won't dig in (the now digital) bins. Discovery means "get out there and look around". Discovery takes work, it always has.
I will now get off my soap box, actually a large plastic food crate, I've never seen a soap box in my life.
We could argue that for a while. There are valid arguments all around. Like box art. Online it's usually small vs the big stuff in a store. Then there's the community. I have nearly no memory of someone in a store aisle trashing a movie, they usually promoted what they liked. Meanwhile online....

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24316 of 24949 Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Has anyone seen It Comes at Night? Did you like it?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24317 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

I heard good things but then I heard people not liking it. I think I will add it to October pile for sure!

post #24318 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
I heard good things but then I heard people not liking it. I think I will add it to October pile for sure!

I did a blind buy. We'll see.

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24319 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:

In my pile.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24320 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I had The Devils Candy on my list already and just added The Void, trailer looks pretty good! As far as games I'm a one trick pony, pretty much only play COD but haven't bought a new one since BO3 and will probably just skip the next one for some SW goodness.

Quote:

I watched that one last October if memory serves, pretty sure it's still on NF and yes, I did like it. Fairly low budget but I thought it had some good things going for it.

Starry Eyes is still on NF as well, I recommend that to the folks that liked House of the Devil.

At Studio Movie Grill where I see all my movies they have $5 Wednesdays so I had a lagunitas and a kick ass clown flick for $12

post #24321 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Hell yes, this was badass and I love Ed Harris in this series!

Speaking of series, I finally got sucked into GOT! Great show, lots of sex, violence and abuse of power! I am on Season 3 and I recognize a lot of actresses in other films. Like the red headed Wildling (Yegritte) minx! And Danyaerys is of course a badass because of Dragons!

Yes, IT was badass, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Yegritte was hot here but not in a few other things since, like Diesel's Witch Hunter.

Quote:

Enjoyed the Void. had a slight Mist feel to it. Get Out was fun too, though I am sure it was talked about 6 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Two docs on Amazon.

The business of movies and distribution is always interesting to me.
Quote:
I had The Devils Candy on my list already and just added The Void, trailer looks pretty good! As far as games I'm a one trick pony, pretty much only play COD but haven't bought a new one since BO3 and will probably just skip the next one for some SW goodness.

I watched that one last October if memory serves, pretty sure it's still on NF and yes, I did like it. Fairly low budget but I thought it had some good things going for it.

Starry Eyes is still on NF as well, I recommend that to the folks that liked House of the Devil.

At Studio Movie Grill where I see all my movies they have $5 Wednesdays so I had a lagunitas and a kick ass clown flick for $12
Billy Skarsgard plays the clown in IT. I liked him in Hemlock Grove.
tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #24322 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good to hear from you GoCabo!

Yeah I really liked Ygritte in GoT (and other movies), I am on the season 4 closer.

post #24323 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Yegritte was hot here but not in a few other things since, like Diesel's Witch Hunter.

Enjoyed the Void. had a slight Mist feel to it. Get Out was fun too, though I am sure it was talked about 6 months ago.

Billy Skarsgard plays the clown in IT. I liked him in Hemlock Grove.
Big shoes to fill as Curry was fantastic but I thought he nailed it pretty good. Don't recall him from Hemlock but I only watched a few episodes.
Quote:

Yeah I really liked Ygritte in GoT (and other movies), I am on the season 4 closer.

GOT is bomb, I binged watched it this past winter and was all caught up for S7 which has been my favorite thus far. Really wish they would have made it a longer season and with S8 planned to be even shorter I hope the rumors are true about movie length episodes similar to the S7 finale. The Hound is my favorite
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #24324 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Big shoes to fill as Curry was fantastic but I thought he nailed it pretty good. Don't recall him from Hemlock but I only watched a few episodes.

GOT is bomb, I binged watched it this past winter and was all caught up for S7 which has been my favorite thus far. Really wish they would have made it a longer season and with S8 planned to be even shorter I hope the rumors are true about movie length episodes similar to the S7 finale. The Hound is my favorite

The Hound is badass! And the fight with Brieanne reminded me of the Roddy Piper/Keith David fight in They Live! I really love this show and everything in it!

post #24325 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sad news for any of you that still have cable or cable channels - AMC's Fear Fest just got shorter and is only running for one week at the end of October. I'm sure they will fill the weeks prior with reruns of TWD trying to save that worthless show. Super lame.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #24326 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Works about the same as selling shoes. In fact the whole entertainment industry works that way.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #24327 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sad news for any of you that still have cable or cable channels - AMC's Fear Fest just got shorter and is only running for one week at the end of October. I'm sure they will fill the weeks prior with reruns of TWD trying to save that worthless show. Super lame.

Yeah I saw that and I was like wtf?! When doesn't AMC not show TWD?! Movies around October are better suited imo but I guess the build up to the 100th episode, season premiere is better than show Horror movies.

I guess SyFy, IFC and TCM will get my viewership.

post #24328 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I saw that and I was like wtf?! When doesn't AMC not show TWD?! Movies around October are better suited imo but I guess the build up to the 100th episode, season premiere is better than show Horror movies.

I guess SyFy, IFC and TCM will get my viewership.

I have those channels a well through SlingTV, Sundance isn't bad either. I may pay for Shudder again for a month, I remember it having a pretty solid library.
tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #24329 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:

IMO there are a lot of the same brutal elements in GOT that I like in horror movies. The hound rocks!
I also like Tyrion and Arya, though I have a special feeling for Melisandre.

I just watched Incarnate in which she had a pretty vanilla role, which was weird.
Quote:

I don't know if Hemlock is worth it past the first season, but he is good. Has to be to pull off IT.
Quote:
The Hound is badass! And the fight with Brieanne reminded me of the Roddy Piper/Keith David fight in They Live! I really love this show and everything in it!

Yep, pretty amazing show.
Probably my all time favorite after Gilligan's Island, original Charlie's Angels and Six Million Dollar Man. Speaking of which, 78 year old Lee Majors was pretty cool in season two of Ash vs. the Evil Dead.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #24330 of 24949 Old 09-14-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now this is a deal...
I was checking prices on discs for Ghostbusters, the most recent one. I'm avoiding regular Blu-rays if I can get combo packs with 4k because I always future proof if I can. Plus you never know when that Blu ray player and the TV may decide to go off to the land of the dead, ( unlike zombies they don't come back)
Anyway I found a set with 4K UHD, Blu ray, Blu ray 3D, and Digital copy for under 15
dollars. Yes it has 3D and UHD in the set. Amazon has three of them left.
Get em while you can.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page