October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 813 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10903Likes

post #24361 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Copious girl power can go either way. It's a fine line between despair and ecstasy. I can feel a devil sliding up to me.

For starters I'd like them to clean my bathrooms. And make me sandwich. Not necessarily in that order.

If the BSZ and GoCabo say it's good, then it's good. If I say it's safe to surf this beach, it's safe to surf this beach!
THO: "The Horned Approves"
ME: There you go BSZ, GoCabo, and THO agree, it's unanimous, you gotta buy it.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24362 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
This was the only one in the series I didn't see in the theaters! I usually like these popcorn flicks!

Also AMC is getting a bit of flack over one week of horror movies and TWD overload in Oct.

Also wtf GOT, end of season 5!! #beparanoid and #walkofshame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's so weird. Like it sucked but was awesome. They reached real far for the mythology they set up but it sort of worked and was batshirt crazy at the same time.

The middle sequence was really great and I sort of hope the standalone Bumblebee movie is in that vein. All in all not sad I bought the digital delivery.

Sent from my Crystal Radio.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24363 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
This was the only one in the series I didn't see in the theaters! I usually like these popcorn flicks!

Also AMC is getting a bit of flack over one week of horror movies and TWD overload in Oct.

Also wtf GOT, end of season 5!! #beparanoid and #walkofshame

Those pesky militant faithful....

BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #24364 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5096 Post(s)
Liked: 11763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
THO: "The Horned Approves"
ME: There you go BSZ, GoCabo, and THO agree, it's unanimous, you gotta buy it.
You're sending the Wolf? That's all you had to say.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #24365 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 01:05 PM

Got sucked into Leviathan last night. I dig this movie along with Deep Rising and Deepstar Six.

ADU, darthrsg, tenthplanet and 2 others like this.

post #24366 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
He made it to 91, that's a good run. Here's to Harry, Drink
We should all be so lucky to make it to 91. And he kept working up to the end. I always enjoyed his performances.

I watched "Dead Awake" on Netflix last night. It's about people experiencing sleep paralysis and a demon who tries to kill them during the paralysis. It is worth a watch.

Kenobi, my neighborhood is beginning to be turned over to 20 somethings who are probably commuting daily down to the South Bay. Those companies they work at should consider satellite campuses in some of the business parks around here.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24367 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
We should all be so lucky to make it to 91. And he kept working up to the end. I always enjoyed his performances.

I watched "Dead Awake" on Netflix last night. It's about people experiencing sleep paralysis and a demon who tries to kill them during the paralysis. It is worth a watch.

Kenobi, my neighborhood is beginning to be turned over to 20 somethings who are probably commuting daily down to the South Bay. Those companies they work at should consider satellite campuses in some of the business parks around here.

I commuted 3 days a week from South Sacramento to Saratoga for a part of my semester (West Valley CC). Drive wasn't so bad until I had finals on Friday and that 680 traffic was nuts if you weren't on it by 1pm. I bet cities like Tracey aren't considered far out by Bay Area commuters. This was back in late 2004 and thankfully I drove a Honda Civic! Car got 37 mpg and I had a heavy gas foot!

I will add Dead Awake to my NF queue!

post #24368 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 05:10 PM

Reminder, that Vudu has a "Movies On Us" section, free with ads, but a dedicated horror section among others. It's about that time y'all.
post #24369 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
AMC has gone downhill IMO, there is seldom anything worth me watching on that channel.

I would tend to agree. In the past two years, other than the Fear Fest, I noticed that I hardly paid any attention to AMC anymore. Part of it too is that they have the most God-awful commercials of any channel I can think of, especially during the day time. I understand that at one point in time they didn't have commercials at all. With this year's Fear Fest being scaled back to just one week this year, I'm glad I dropped this channel. I did consider getting it in October for one month as a pick and pay channel but I won't bother now. Too bad to see this happen to AMC.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24370 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I think some of the scary stuff has migrated to sister channel IFC. IFC doesn't edit the movies either. AMC have some interesting series, but I don't use them for movies.

I do actually still get the IFC channel so this is good news. Thanks!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24371 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great suggestion Wabo! I will throw on either Deep Rising or Leviathan tomorrow!

post #24372 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're sending the Wolf? That's all you had to say.
Well, he has been called The Deer and people also ask him: "Are you the Macalope". And don't ask him about deer hunting season.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #24373 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Just saw It at the IMAX. Bill Skarsgård nails Pennywise. The audio was great too. Use of surrounds created a really creepy atmosphere. A few times I had to look down my aisle, thought there was something there. If going to see this, I highly recommend the 'MAX. Really looking forward to chapter 2.

post #24374 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Got sucked into Leviathan last night. I dig this movie along with Deep Rising and Deepstar Six.

Any other flicks like this? That's a solid triple feature of underwater terror. I can think of Sphere.
post #24375 of 24906 Old 09-16-2017, 09:56 PM

Stumbled upon this, claims to be Home Alone meets The Strangers.

GoCaboNow likes this.
post #24376 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just saw It at the IMAX. Bill Skarsgård nails Pennywise. The audio was great too. Use of surrounds created a really creepy atmosphere. A few times I had to look down my aisle, thought there was something there. If going to see this, I highly recommend the 'MAX. Really looking forward to chapter 2.
Super effective in ATMOS too, there was some stuff lurking in the corners of the theater soundwise, the kind of things that make you look to where the sound is coming from. And since it's dark, you can't see much
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #24377 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
I commuted 3 days a week from South Sacramento to Saratoga for a part of my semester (West Valley CC). Drive wasn't so bad until I had finals on Friday and that 680 traffic was nuts if you weren't on it by 1pm. I bet cities like Tracey aren't considered far out by Bay Area commuters. This was back in late 2004 and thankfully I drove a Honda Civic! Car got 37 mpg and I had a heavy gas foot!

I will add Dead Awake to my NF queue!
I think 580 to Tracy is now a parking lot at rush hour. My nephew gets up early to commute from Livermore to San Jose.

Yeah, back in the 1970s playing in a band I commuted the 60 miles between Seattle and and Fort Lewis to play a 5 night a week gig. That was easy and low on gas consumption because I had Subaru wagon with 5 speed manual transmission that would get around 55 mpg. Any further away and clubs often put you up in a local motel (they often owned). Those were the days. Simpler analog living.

After watching Angelina Jolie's excellent movie "First They Killed My Father" on Netflix last night (not horror but pretty horrific) I trundled over to Shudder to see the offerings. Almost got hooked watching "The House Near the Cemetery" which was their live offering but I think I've seen it. However their list was more more inviting than last year as there were many films I haven't seen so may do it next month too.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24378 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I think 580 to Tracy is now a parking lot at rush hour. My nephew gets up early to commute from Livermore to San Jose.

Yeah, back in the 1970s playing in a band I commuted the 60 miles between Seattle and and Fort Lewis to play a 5 night a week gig. That was easy and low on gas consumption because I had Subaru wagon with 5 speed manual transmission that would get around 55 mpg. Any further away and clubs often put you up in a local motel (they often owned). Those were the days. Simpler analog living.

After watching Angelina Jolie's excellent movie "First They Killed My Father" on Netflix last night (not horror but pretty horrific) I trundled over to Shudder to see the offerings. Almost got hooked watching "The House Near the Cemetery" which was their live offering but I think I've seen it. However their list was more more inviting than last year as there were many films I haven't seen so may do it next month too.

Awesome you were in a band! Yeah I miss my simple cars and manual transmission!

Livermore is probably the 'gateway' Bay Area town for either going straight to SF, north to Vallejo and south to SJ. That is still a decent commute for a 8+ hour job!

I remember leaving about 5am from Sacto and that 680/580 interchange in Livermore can be pretty lively at 7am!

post #24379 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Part of it too is that they have the most God-awful commercials of any channel I can think of, especially during the day time. .
I see your AMC, and raise you Sundance
General Kenobi likes this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #24380 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I see your AMC, and raise you Sundance

OMG, really? Is this even humanly possible?
post #24381 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Holy *****! Battle of the Bastards episode of GOT is pretty damn intense! Tormund is a badass!

darthrsg and GoCaboNow like this.
post #24382 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 07:24 PM

Bushwick.

Competent, well paced, what if thriller. The premise of a few States seceding and executing an attack on soft targets to force the US govt to fold is handled by word of mouth in the film, this movie stays close to the two leads as they try to survive the collapse. Bautista shines as a soft spoken ex marine medic and Snow stands on her own two feet as the tag along. The personal drama is punctuated by spikes of violence from locals taking advantage of the situation and the insurgent forces. There's a really cool single take in there as well. All in all a pretty good action flick. There are few more surprises but I'll leave them for you see.

I like these types of movies that are about societal collapse and especially when they are not a virus or zombies, though I like those too. This is more of a Red Dawn style. A rarity in the genre even if it's unbelievable.

GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #24383 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Holy *****! Battle of the Bastards episode of GOT is pretty damn intense! Tormund is a badass!

Loved that episode. I'm still kind of surprised how much I got into the series after literally trying like 4 times. Each attempt left me asleep and not getting past season one. A few weeks ago I forced myself through it and really liked it. Aside from liking Snow, I really like The Hound. Tormund is cool but I always thought there wasn't enough of him.

post #24384 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Bushwick.

https://youtu.be/cn7pZdg0aI4

Competent, well paced, what if thriller. The premise of a few States seceding and executing an attack on soft targets to force the US govt to fold is handled by word of mouth in the film, this movie stays close to the two leads as they try to survive the collapse. Bautista shines as a soft spoken ex marine medic and Snow stands on her own two feet as the tag along. The personal drama is punctuated by spikes of violence from locals taking advantage of the situation and the insurgent forces. There's a really cool single take in there as well. All in all a pretty good action flick. There are few more surprises but I'll leave them for you see.

I like these types of movies that are about societal collapse and especially when they are not a virus or zombies, though I like those too. This is more of a Red Dawn style. A rarity in the genre even if it's unbelievable.

I saw this trailer and it piqued my interest! Dave Bautista is the man!

GoCaboNow likes this.
post #24385 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I saw this trailer and it piqued my interest! Dave Bautista is the man!

Forgot to mention the soundtrack is dope af.

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24386 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Any other flicks like this? That's a solid triple feature of underwater terror. I can think of Sphere.
I love those three movies together. I need to watch Sphere again. Been years since I've seen that.

Quote:
Super effective in ATMOS too, there was some stuff lurking in the corners of the theater soundwise, the kind of things that make you look to where the sound is coming from. And since it's dark, you can't see much
It was a really well done movie. It should look and sound fantastic on BD.

Quote:

Yeah, that battle was crazy. Wait till you get to season 7...
Spoiler!

post #24387 of 24906 Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OMG, really? Is this even humanly possible?
Usually any original series from Sundance eventually makes it to streaming, so take your chips and leave the table quick, before somebody raises the bets in the commercial derby. OK I raise you a TNT and a TBS.
The Mice likes this.

post #24388 of 24906 Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Usually any original series from Sundance eventually makes it to streaming, so take your chips and leave the table quick, before somebody raises the bets in the commercial derby. OK I raise you a TNT and a TBS.

LOL I better cash in while I can still hope to break even!

I think this is why I set my PVR to record most stuff on television.
post #24389 of 24906 Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 700
This one looks pretty good:

tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #24390 of 24906 Old 09-18-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL I better cash in while I can still hope to break even!

I think this is why I set my PVR to record most stuff on television.
PVR is your friend.
THO: PBR ??
ME: No, PVR
The Mice likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page