October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 823 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10997Likes

post #24661 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 714
The Devils Candy 3/5 Stars - Small family moves into a home where a couple had died. Little did they know the couples voice hearing son also lived there and still calls the place home. I'm keeping the description brief but I went into this one I guess expecting a bit more grit. It was done well and the casting and direction were all thumbs up for me. Where it lacked was depth, grit, and the obligatory plot twist that never really materialized. Worth a watch but don't buy the RT hype on this one.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24662 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
The Devils Candy 3/5 Stars - Small family moves into a home where a couple had died. Little did they know the couples voice hearing son also lived there and still calls the place home. I'm keeping the description brief but I went into this one I guess expecting a bit more grit. It was done well and the casting and direction were all thumbs up for me. Where it lacked was depth, grit, and the obligatory plot twist that never really materialized. Worth a watch but don't buy the RT hype on this one.
I don't know man, I really dug The Devil's Candy, I'd probably put it at more of a 4 out of 5, but different strokes right?
General Kenobi likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #24663 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Had a dream yesterday night that pertains to this thread. All I really remember from it now is that I was in a desert and was being chased by Jason from Friday and 13th. There was a someone in a car nearby that was about to drive off and I hopped onto the roof of the car and held on. He drove off with me on the roof and when I looked back I could see Jason running after me. Too bad I can't remember more.

post #24664 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
I liked "Bad Batch" but it isn't so much horror as it is post-apocalyptic sci-fi. It think the ending annoyed people. I also liked the director's earlier film "A Girl Walks Home Alone."

Last night's selection was "Cult of Chucky" which was added to Netflix yesterday as was "13 Demons" which may be my selection tonight.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24665 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
" You ordered the box, IT CAME Yes fiends err friends The Hellraiser Scarlett Box has arrived and a copy of The Thing from 2011. Now I just have to deal with "The Thing That Ate Time" AKA work, and the creature that did not know sleep which would be me..

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #24666 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "Horned One Sez" I checked the bylaws of the thread, and even though 'Blade Runner 2049' isn't horror you are cleared to go during October
Tenth: Good to know, THO you're out of beer.
Tho: No, you're out of beer
Tenth: My beer is your beer, therefore...
THO:
Tenth: Got em
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #24667 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Had a dream yesterday night that pertains to this thread. All I really remember from it now is that I was in a desert and was being chased by Jason from Friday and 13th. There was a someone in a car nearby that was about to drive off and I hopped onto the roof of the car and held on. He drove off with me on the roof and when I looked back I could see Jason running after me. Too bad I can't remember more.
The next part is Schwarzenegger rolling up in another vehicle and he throws you a weapon and says: "Shooot, shoot it's legs off, it can't come after you if it can't move Shoot "
Kain and BornSlippyZ like this.

Last edited by tenthplanet; 10-04-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: glitch
post #24668 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
I wish THO would watch my kids Friday so I can see Bladerunner! Gotta wait two weeks (wife is going to Spain) and then I can roll with my mom to check this out! Doing a night time showing will be different for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24669 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Lusting after the Pixel 2. After using the Pixel XL this year and not having a single issue it'd be hard to justify the purchase though. It's the first phone I've had that didn't show it's age after a year.

Sent from my Crystal Radio.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #24670 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
My first few flicks:

1. Split (2016) Blu ray (FTV) Good all-around flick. With his recent offering, The Visit, and now this one, M Night made his way back into my good graces (its an extremely fragile relationship however). James McAvoy does an excellent job in a ridiculously challenging role and the storyline was one of a kind. MNS even called on an old friend to make a cool little cameo at the end. 4 Et Ceteras

2. Be Afraid (2017) Netflix (FTV) This one had a strong start with great atmosphere/cinematography and I found myself pretty locked in from the get go. As the story unfolds, there were other solid points as well.....like the effective surround mix and bad ass creatures. On the other hand, there were elements that were downright silly and by the time we get to the third act, this thing loses quite a bit of steam. When the story concluded, I wanted more....a lot more. There was just too much missing for me to give this a strong recommendation to others. 2.75 Shadow Men

3. The Evil Dead (1981) Blu ray Its been a long time since I've seen this and it definitely holds a solid spot with other classic 80s horror. It still had a little genuine creepiness to it, and it was fun to be reminded of how Raimi lets his imagination run buck wild with gore possibilities. My blu ray copy featured a pretty aggressive surround mix, which was a pleasant surprise..... but as it is with many classics that rely on props, makeup and practical effects.....its pretty hilarious to see things through a modern day lens. Many laughs were had, I assure you. Overall, a good addition to this year's list. The plan is to revisit the remake sometime this month as well. 3.25 Barrels of Bodily Fluids

I started The Void last night but it got too late and I had to call it quits. I'll finish it up after playoff baseball tonight....but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far at the 30 minute mark.
ADU, darthrsg, tenthplanet and 2 others like this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #24671 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

Nice work gents!!!

I am starting Raw tonight, wish me luck!

post #24672 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
I watched The Uninvited (1944) last night. It's a good haunted house story but it's pretty tame.

This morning I watched Cannibal Girls (1973). That's the third Andrea Martin movie I've seen this month.

This evening's movie was Hellhole (1985). The '80s fashion was the most memorable thing about it. Pass on this one.

Spoiler!
ADU and darthrsg like this.
post #24673 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked: 338
The Wolves at the Door was really good. Great camera angle for the jump scenes. I recommend it and don't go by the poor ratings it has.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
darthrsg likes this.
post #24674 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Raw, FTV, I have been interested in this one learning about people gagging while seeing this. This movie kinda rolls along with crazy frat (rave party) scenes and awkward coming of age, to something kinda seething beneath the surface. Some crazy stuff going on but nothing too crazy for guys that like body horror. I give this 2.5 Animal skulls

post #24675 of 24949 Old 10-04-2017, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 714
October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

Decisions decisions

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 

Last edited by General Kenobi; 10-04-2017 at 10:30 PM.
post #24676 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Decisions decisions

LIVIDE. Then check out their latest, Among the Living.

Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #24677 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 AM

Jobu, is that you?

post #24678 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
LIVIDE. Then check out their latest, Among the Living.

Tell us what you thought about Livide when you see it. I've been wanting to see it.

post #24679 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Tell us what you thought about Livide when you see it. I've been wanting to see it.

It's awesome. Their first, Inside, is pretty great too.

post #24680 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jobu, is that you?

Do you have gorilla glue? Gawd that sucks!

post #24681 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Do you have gorilla glue? Gawd that sucks!

It snapped off inside. Got another on the way. The Exu Devil strikes back.

ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #24682 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Off today due to school and a "fall break."

Kid is grounded from electronics for talking at school but mom is at work so we'll knock out a few family friendly scary movies. Be the change.

GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #24683 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Android is a pain to develop for due to fragmentation. Even though scaled graphics have been around for over two decades Android still doesn't have it. To get that I use Xamarin on Visual Studio for Android development. And Google is a lemonade stand run by kiddies.

Well "13 Demons" is pretty schlocky amateurish stuff though it did have an arc and an interesting concept. Strangely though it is shown as popular.
ApolloCreed likes this.
post #24684 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Decisions decisions

Decide quickly Otherwise...
"mechanical laughing"...."Hello General, it's seems you're have trouble picking a film to watch, but you must choose, or the choice will be made FOR you"
THO: Choose Livide, choose Livide, choose and he'll leave
General Kenobi likes this.

post #24685 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM

It 2017 ★★★★ ftv
As a fan of the book, which I read back in the early 90's, it still feels like familiar territory. It's stuck with me that long. I never found the book that scary but still loved the story. Same with the film. It's a great story. The horror here, much like many of King's stories, is in the mundane events of life. Bullies, abuse, that scary house on the corner, evil aliens in the sewers. The magic here is the Loser's Club and in this movie it's displayed perfectly. So many of us can relate to that crew of kids we had for a summer or two before growing up pushes it away.

The Lost Empire 1984 ★★★ ftv
Similar to Big Trouble in Little China and Enter the Dragon and yet miles away. Goofy fun and an excellent synth score help this adventure along. The basic plot is that of a cop investigating some weird cult led by Angus Scrimm. There are robot spiders, bulletproof shuriken, and three badass ladies.

The Bad Batch 2016 ★★½ ftv
Started strong but fell apart from the middle onward. I'm all for dystopian tribal stories and alternate America but this went boring pretty quickly. It was remotely reminiscent of some 90s stuff like Natural Born Killers but nowhere near that film.

It Stains the Sands Red 2016 ★★★★ ftv
A fine little movie peppered with humor but able to go to ten when it needs to. Starts out familiar enough with escapees of an infection of sorts getting the hell out of Dodge only to get caught up in some zombies. The leading lady is left alone in the desert with a slow walker trailing her.

It's at times emotional and tense, often funny as she develops a relationship with the zombie she calls "old balls." Then it ratchets the horror up and gore fills the screen.

I'm down on zombie movies but give credit here for not being the same old same old that's currently killing the genre.

Long Weekend 1978 ★★★ ftv
Classic Oz-ploitation film. Two terrible people try to rekindle their marriage but mother nature has other plans. Creepy noises in the woods, attacking birds, and a dugong help the descent into madness along.

Happy Hunting 2017 ★★½ ftv
Grimy. A substance abusing drifter comes to rest in a desert town. While battling his addiction he's drafted into a local sporting events where he's the prey.

It's no Surviving the Game but similar. The effects kind of drag it down. CG bullets and fire take me out of the movie everytime but still a solid thriller.

Killing Ground 2016 ★★★ ftv
Tense and well put together, this thriller stays in its lane and does well there. A couple out hiking discover a toddler out all alone. As they tend to him a man arrives and tries to help out as well. Things aren't as they seem and we get two tales of terror out of the deal. The first is a flashback on the origin of the toddler and the second is the couple trying to survive because they go too close.

Demon Seed 1977 ★★★★ ftv
Demon Seed is a really cool sci-fi horror tale. It's centered on the elite academic creation of an organic super computer that has become too big to fail. Proteus asks about being let of his box and says killing the oceans for metal is insane meanwhile he's locked a woman up in a smarthome and is about to force her to have his baby. His sentient AI baby. He does this by using the various smart home technologies and a seriously creepy wheelchair with a robot arm.

Prom Night 1980 ★★½
Mostly middle of the road stuff here. We all know Carrie is the prom queen.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II 1987 ★★★
A rare case of the sequel being better than the first and it does it very well by delving into deep the supernatural. It doesn't focus on blood but does tell a good story. It's got some great theatrical moments and some disturbing ideas against organized religion but that was all the rage back then. It gets a lot of points for expanding a pretty thin mythology from the first movie and going into Nightmare on Elm Street territory.

Among the Living 2014 ★★★★½ ftv
Another top notch flick from Julien and Alexandre. If Inside and Livide were anywhere near a like of yours you'll dig this.

Three adolescent boys are out doing boy stuff like setting fires, pissing on each other, and sinking boats in the French countryside when they wander into an abandoned film set. They see a captive woman and try to help her but this goes wrong and they flee. The evil doers then seek out the boys and rain terror at every step.

Not to cheapen the movie at all but it literally is a mutant killer clown hiding like E.T. in stuffed animals while the call is coming from inside the house. And a weird penis.

Gerald’s Game 2017 ★★★ ftv
Easily one of the better King adaptations out there. Hard to describe without spoiling it because it's so well done. Netflix did good here. The basic setup is a struggling couple out for a bonding weekend that involves some handcuffs, viagra, and a fatal heart attack, that leaves a woman cuffed to a bed.

Super 8 2011 ★★★★
I saw this in the theater on release and loved it. I thought to myself I can't wait to watch this with my kid. Today was that day. It's a great starter flick for the young ones, only really has some language. At its core it's a monster movie centered on a group of kids, which we need more of desperately.

Invaders from Mars 1986 ★★★★
Another for the younger set. Tobe Hooper has a classic scifi tale here wrapped in 80's cheese. It's setting is instantly understandable to younger folks and even my 6 year old knew the parents were acting strange. It's got some great practical effects and some very creepy scenes revolving around an already creepy school teacher.

#October2017
post #24686 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Watched Amityville: The Awakening today. Surprisingly quite enjoyable.
post #24687 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 682
5. Train to Busan (FTV)
Zombie apocalypse primarily set on a South Korean bullet train. This film shows there's still plenty of life left in the crowded and some would say tired zombie apocalypse genre. So many of my favorite horror films of the past dozen years or so have come from South Korea, and "Busan" fits right in with the best of them. If you've seen the trailer, you know there are over-the-top zombie mob chase scenes, which are quite effective. But the spectacle doesn't get in the way or cause the movie to distance itself from the audience, as so many other modern CGI-fests do. Even without the spectacle, TTB would work because it has real tension, real emotion and great characters to root for, and a few to root against. The people behave in ways that real people do, and the heroes have human flaws, which makes their acts of sacrifice all the more heart-wrenching. Great stuff!

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2017 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Addams Family 3.5/5
2. Dead & Breakfast 4/5 (FTV)
3. It Comes at Night 2.5/5 (FTV)
4. I Didn't Come Here To Die 3.5/5 (FTV)
5. Train to Busan 4/5 (FTV)

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #24688 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Off today due to school and a "fall break."

Kid is grounded from electronics for talking at school but mom is at work so we'll knock out a few family friendly scary movies. Be the change.

Funny, I grounded my daughter from personal electronics because she decided to act like she was in charge yesterday! Must be the full moon!

My kids are off tomorrow for a fall off day so pray for me as I take them shopping!

darthrsg likes this.
post #24689 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (1971) - Bruce Dern, Casey Kasem and Pat Priest (Marilyn Munster) in a Frankenstein knock-off. It's cheesy but somehow it still works.

The Brood (1979) - Every time I've tried to watch this one in the past something came up and I had to quit. Tonight I finally got to see the whole thing. I would probably like this one a lot more if I got to see it all the way through on the first try but I still thought it was pretty good. How can you not like a movie with mutant killer kids that wear adorable snow suits and hoodie-footie pajamas?

Spoiler!
post #24690 of 24949 Old 10-05-2017, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Funny, I grounded my daughter from personal electronics because she decided to act like she was in charge yesterday! Must be the full moon!

My kids are off tomorrow for a fall off day so pray for me as I take them shopping!

A good opportunity to teach them shopping is about acquisition and not recreation. AKA Ferengi rule of acquisition rule 349. When you get you get home you get your choice of liquor and pizza, my rule. And remember the wisdom from Taken "Good luck".
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page