October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 833 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11015Likes

post #24961 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
21. Tales of Halloween (FTV)
Ten hilariously gory tales centered around Halloween. Now if you've seen horror anthologies, you might be groaning "Ten films?" but by the end of this one you'll just be wanting more. I've seen horror anthologies before, and I've seen funny segments in horror anthologies, but I don't think I've seen a horror anthology as consistently comedic as this one. Some might complain that there is no "serious" horror to be found in this movie, but there are a few scares, and the emphasis is on fun and entertainment. Look for multiple cameos of horror directors, or don't. Only one or two of these stuck out as being a bit weak, but the stories come at you so fast it really doesn't matter. I could see myself re-watching this movie every Halloween because it just puts you in a great mood and ready for our favorite holiday.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2017 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. The Addams Family 3.5/5
2. Dead & Breakfast 4/5 (FTV)
3. It Comes at Night 2.5/5 (FTV)
4. I Didn't Come Here To Die 3.5/5 (FTV)
5. Train to Busan 4/5 (FTV)
6. Wendigo 3/5 (FTV)
7. Goodnight Mommy 4/5 (FTV)
8. Little Evil 3/5 (FTV)
9. The Stuff 3/5 (FTV)
10. The Atoning 2.5/5 (FTV)
11. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 3/5 (FTV)
12. The Driller Killer 3/5 (FTV)
13. Child's Play 4/5
14. The Babysitter 3.5/5 (FTV)
15. The Others 4.5/5
16. The Girl With All The Gifts 4/5 (FTV)
17. Halloween III: Season of the Witch 3.5/5
18. Raw 4/5 (FTV)
19. It's Alive 3.5/5 (FTV)
20. Inbred (2011) 3.5/5 (FTV)
21. Tales of Halloween 4/5

Sounds like Tales from The Crypt meets VHS
Bob McLaughlin and The Mice like this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "

Last edited by tenthplanet; Yesterday at 01:28 PM. Reason: missing word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24962 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Let's see if I can jiggle some folk's memories here but back in the mid 1970s when I saw "Carrie" in downtown Seattle it ran with a B-movie co-feature. That movie had the some things in it that generally weren't done at the time like the woman would go into a room and it would darken and the antagonist would suddenly appear. I looked through dozens of films of that era and about the only way I may be able to figure out what the film was would be to make a visit to the Seattle main library and look through the microfilm of newspaper movie ads of that time. The setting was the US so it wasn't Italian horror and the lead actress was famous.
Maybe you can figure it out from the poster?

Let me google that for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=1970s+horror+movie+poster
post #24963 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Yes indeed! Actually I prefer to work weekends for the most part and have days off during mid-week. Everything is open during the week plus no dealing with crowds when going to do shopping, seeing a movie, or visiting malls, etc.. Trouble is, most of my family and friends have weekends off so there can be a bit of a conflict at times, although on occasion I will book a Saturday off or something or switch shifts. It works for me all around.
Back when I worked weekends Monday and Tues were my weekend. Loved it. House to myself. Now working nights was kind of a nightmare. Sleeping during the day was terrible after a while.

Sent from my Crystal Radio.
The Mice likes this.

post #24964 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

post #24965 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Buying blurays is like buying airline tickets, check often and be prepared to jump.

Probably very true.

The giant monster parade continues at camp ADU, with...

10. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1968) (aka Gappa, the Triphibian Monster)

Another 1970's late night TV / matinee movie classic that would make a pretty good MST3K movie.

https://archive.org/details/MonsterF...historicPlanet

Sound is pretty tinny, blacks are elevated, and shadow detail is noticeably crushed on this 4:3 IA transfer.
darthrsg likes this.

Last edited by ADU; Yesterday at 06:45 PM.
post #24966 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Back when I worked weekends Monday and Tues were my weekend. Loved it. House to myself. Now working nights was kind of a nightmare. Sleeping during the day was terrible after a while.

When I was younger, I liked having weekends off, but then after a short while realized that I didn't want to be part of the "rat race" all seven days of the week. I also worked graveyard shifts in the past, one job was 9 o'clock at night until 5 o'clock in the morning, and then 12 Midnight until 8 o'clock in the morning. I probably spent about three or four years of my life working graveyard shifts, glad those days are over now. I agree about the sleep, especially in the summer months!
post #24967 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

October Horrorfest 2017

Spoiler!

The Autopsy of Jane Doe 2016 ★★★★
This was really good. Kept me guessing wtf was going on and where it was going in the right way. They kept the gore in check and grounded to the situation. Really well done all around.

Second viewing, it's even stronger. Watching the doctors solve the puzzle is pretty amazing.

The Dead Room 2015 ★★★★½
Surprisingly good haunted house movie. A team of insurance adjusters are checking into a property to dispel any haunting nonsense and get a rude awakening. We, the audience, get a two for here. The ghost is haunting another more evil ghost. It's not quite up to the production level of the Conjuring and that's just fine there are hundreds of movies that try to do what The Dead Room is doing and fail.

Children of the Corn 1984 ★★★½
This movie is exactly how I feel when I get forced to go to sporting events. People calling me outlander and trying to kill me for playing board games and listening to music.

The Conjuring 2013 ★★★★★
Just a great flick, really captures the terror of the family and you feel for them. Wan's version of Ed and Lorraine are legendary and this universe of his is one of my favorite things in movies since forever.

The Conjuring 2 2016 ★★★★½
Possibly even better than part one, this one has some epic camera work and the children are fantastic. We see the Nun for the first time. Just great all around.

Insidious 2010 ★★★
I like this series but this is the probably the weakest and I'm glad it became Elise Rainier focused. She and her crew in these movies are what makes it for me.

Insidious: Chapter 2 2013 ★★★
A fitting sequel.

Sinister 2012 ★★★★
Love the soundtrack here as a writer unravels a serial killer through creepy snuff films. Seriously unsettling stuff in the little movies, at least for me. Creep factor is high. Very good use of lighting to boot.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives 1986 ★★★
Is it possible to love a series and not like most of the movies in it?

Barracuda 1978 ★★½
Jaws but with barracudas and nowhere near as good.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 1988 ★★★½
I do like this entry. The showdown is fantastic.

Silver Bullet 1985 ★★★
It's been a King heavy October here at Casa de RSG and this one is becoming canon in my daughter's life. This is our second viewing and I'm not sure where it falls in the spectrum of parenting to discuss, with gusto, how to kill werewolves with a six year old. However, discssuing a pyrokinetic Drew Barrymore and her dad looking out for her was a breeze.

Tales of Halloween 2015 ★★★★★
As mentioned previously, this is a great Halloween flick. You get 10 little movies and no real weak ones in the bunch. If you like Halloween, the tropes that go with it, and scary movies you need to see it. My favorite might be the pranking one, it's hilarious.

Last edited by darthrsg; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.
post #24968 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
When I was younger, I liked having weekends off, but then after a short while realized that I didn't want to be part of the "rat race" all seven days of the week. I also worked graveyard shifts in the past, one job was 9 o'clock at night until 5 o'clock in the morning, and then 12 Midnight until 8 o'clock in the morning. I probably spent about three or four years of my life working graveyard shifts, glad those days are over now. I agree about the sleep, especially in the summer months!
I'm cool with my mon-fri 8-5 now. Being in IT means I'm on call all the time so weekend work sometimes means Mondays off in comp time. My only real gripe is my area is low pay. I could go back to the private sector for way more money but being able to come and go as I please at my current job is worth way more. Let's me be with my daughter as needed which means a ton since I was a product of single parenting.

post #24969 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This one came up in a different thread a few days ago so I decided to watch it again.

Twins of Evil (1971) - Playboy Playmates Mary and Madeleine Collinson play twin sisters Frieda and Maria. They recently lost their parents and moved from Vienna to live with their uncle Gustav (Peter Cushing) and aunt Katy in a remote village below Castle Karnstein. It's the 1700s and there's nothing better for the Puritan Gustav to do than lead his religious extremist "Brotherhood" buddies on witch hunts. In Karnstein being a pretty young single woman is reason enough to be accused of witchcraft. If no man will take her as a wife then she must be a witch, right? Gustav's witch-burning success streak comes to an end when he tries to roust a suspected witch from her home only to find Count Karnstein there for a late-night visit. The encounter angers Count Karnstein and causes Gustav to become even more uptight than he was before. At home Frieda and Maria cope with Uncle Gustav in very different ways. Maria will do anything to prevent trouble while Frieda gets her kicks by causing it. Frieda soon gets bored sitting around at home with Maria and Aunt Katy so she decides to sneak out of the house and go to the castle to meet the handsome Count Karnstein. Much like Frieda, Count Karnstein is a trouble-maker. He tasks his butler with recreating a Satanic sacrifice ritual for his entertainment but the Count is not impressed with the performance. The Count decides to take over and somehow manages to conjure the vampire Mircalla Karnstein from her tomb in the family plot. I don't want to spoil the end so I'll leave it there with Count Karnstein conjuring a vampire as Frieda makes her way to the castle while Uncle Gustav is in a very bad mood.

Thanks to wmcclain for the pics.
wmcclain likes this.
post #24970 of 24973 Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 5117 Post(s)
Liked: 11786
Ken, is that a horror/comedy? I need to add that Tales of Halloween to my list.

post #24971 of 24973 Old Today, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Leaf blowers are the bane of the day sleeper, there are days I would pray for rain so they couldn't use them.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #24972 of 24973 Old Today, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 5117 Post(s)
Liked: 11786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Leaf blowers are the bane of the day sleeper, there are days I would pray for rain so they couldn't use them.
But they're the salvation of the husband trying to relax, watch football, maybe have an afternoon beer or three on the weekend and getting told to clean up the yard.

Edit: THO knows what I'm talking about, yo.

Last edited by Waboman; Today at 01:46 AM.
post #24973 of 24973 Old Today, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Ken, is that a horror/comedy?
Twins of Evil isn't a comedy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement