October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

post #2611 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Damn that is way awesome! You seem to always get in on these sweet goings on in the area and kick ass autographed posters. How do you get wind of these things? Frozen was good, may have to watch that this year. My only bragging rights are fromwhen I met Dan Aykroyd. He signed my Ghostbusters bluray and we traded movie lines... I said "Looking good Lewis" and without missing a beat he says "Feeling good Billy Ray" eff'n classic!

Ha! That's awesome dude! He looks like he was really into it too. So cool. biggrin.gif

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Finally, our prayers have been answered....a candidate we ALL can get behind:
http://www.azombieforpresident.com/

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2613 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

LOL, and I thought we already had one, just eating my tax dollars instead of my flesh.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #2614 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The Corridor is a bit strange and almost sort of a fantasy than horror and definitely supernatural. It is a Canadian offering shot in Nova Scotia about pals who discover a ghostly corridor near the cabin they are staying in for a getaway.
post #2615 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Quote:

LOL, and I thought we already had one, just eating my tax dollars instead of my flesh.

Just shows - it's as hard to find a good candidate as it is to find a good Zombie movie...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #2616 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Just shows - it's as hard to find a good candidate as it is to find a good Zombie movie...

Preach!

Coming to IFC in September a Canadian cannibal movie called Crowsnest. Looks like a brutal found footage flick. Also IFC just nabbed the Maniac remake with Elijah Wood. Looking forward to that.

31 Days of Horror:

post #2617 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I now have about 4 horror movies that have come in from Amazon, and i got word that the 3 i ordered from Gore Store in the UK have just been shipped, so that gives me a good start on some "first watches" for October, as i wont watch them until then. Wont tell you what i got, you guys will see when i watch them and review them. I dont know myself how good or bad they will be, but this October is going to be so much fun. We are still going thru hell here with setting up the new condo and trying to close on the old house and now a hurricane is heading our way, geez, there is a limit on how much stress you can handle!!! I am gonna run out of valiums! eek.gif

But by October i am counting on things finally being back to as normal as they can ever get for me. cool.gif

never take life seriously
post #2618 of 10632 Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone here is a hammer films fan they just launched a youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/hammerfilms/

Crowsnest looks like a good movie. Thanks for the post Wizzack.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #2619 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the studio heads read this thread and though "wow, there are a lot of people who liked to watch horror films in October" so scheduled their horror releases for then. biggrin.gif
post #2620 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I now have about 4 horror movies that have come in from Amazon, and i got word that the 3 i ordered from Gore Store in the UK have just been shipped, so that gives me a good start on some "first watches" for October, as i wont watch them until then. Wont tell you what i got, you guys will see when i watch them and review them. I dont know myself how good or bad they will be, but this October is going to be so much fun. We are still going thru hell here with setting up the new condo and trying to close on the old house and now a hurricane is heading our way, geez, there is a limit on how much stress you can handle!!! I am gonna run out of valiums! eek.gif
But by October i am counting on things finally being back to as normal as they can ever get for me. cool.gif
Gore Store??? link please:)

Has anyone heard or seen this one?

My Rig

post #2621 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

cableman good stuff. I have to revisit the old Hammer films one of these days. I thought some may be coming out on blu-ray soon.

Quote:

You sound pumped and ready! Good luck with that hurricane yankeeman. I'd also like a link to the gore store please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I think the studio heads read this thread and though "wow, there are a lot of people who liked to watch horror films in October" so scheduled their horror releases for then. biggrin.gif

Ha! If they really read this thread they'd stop turning out the same shite movies year after year. wink.gif
Quote:

Gore Store??? link please:)
Has anyone heard or seen this one?

No....but I want to now. "Redefine horror once again" is a bold statement. I'd settle for something better than average. tongue.gif

31 Days of Horror:

post #2622 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

cableman good stuff. I have to revisit the old Hammer films one of these days. I thought some may be coming out on blu-ray soon.

You sound pumped and ready! Good luck with that hurricane yankeeman. I'd also like a link to the gore store please.
Ha! If they really read this thread they'd stop turning out the same shite movies year after year. wink.gif
No....but I want to now. "Redefine horror once again" is a bold statement. I'd settle for something better than average. tongue.gif

I skimmed the amazon reviews trying to avoid the abundance of spoilers and from what I can tell it sounds like a mind fawker... something with some depth and geared more towards a "thinking man's horror film". If it can even come close to the greatness of Triangle in that regard I'm all in.

btw - Crowsnest looks pretty awesome!

My Rig

post #2623 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I would just be happy if the studios came out and apologized for the ring, ring 2, grudge and all the other pg13 crap they have moved through the Hollywood machine. Jump scares are for kids.I think the last pg13 horror movie I enjoyed was Darkness falls. Very well done. I will give the director props for working with the studios but keeping the tone of the movie dark. I have really been enjoying the first time directors that have been popping up in the last year or so. A lot of talent out there. Just need the right ones to take a chance.

post #2624 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I skimmed the amazon reviews trying to avoid the abundance of spoilers and from what I can tell it sounds like a mind fawker... something with some depth and geared more towards a "thinking man's horror film". If it can even come close to the greatness of Triangle in that regard I'm all in.
btw - Crowsnest looks pretty awesome!

Just added to my NF. Cross fingers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

I would just be happy if the studios came out and apologized for the ring,

eek.gif

31 Days of Horror:

post #2625 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Just added to my NF. Cross fingers!

eek.gif

I'm sorry but my personal opinion on this movie is that it is horrible. I would love to see the original Ringu. I could be that I worked in movie theater during this movie release and I sat through about 12 showings doing teeny watch. Removing whole rows of kids for cell phones and talking while the rest of the crowd cheered you on was the ultimate power trip

post #2626 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No sweat. Diff'rent strokes... I think The Ring was the last remake I enjoyed just as much as the original. Naomi Watts may have something to do with it though. smile.gif

ChillerTV has been playing Troll 2 and Best Worst Movie all night. So horrifically good.

31 Days of Horror:

post #2627 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Guys, I've been meaning to post for quite a while now but it seems as if I never have any time. Don't know where the time is going but the days are flying by and before I know it another day has gone by without posting anything. So I told myself I'd post something tonight even if it may be kind of lame.

I have been trying to find a decent horror movie for months and sadly most I've watched were not very good. For what it's worth here's a list of most of the horror movies I've watched over the pass few months with the rating (one to five starts with five being the best) I gave each. Three stars is an average movie, anything above three stars for my ratings is above average for one or more reasons... to get four or better requires a movie be outstanding.... unfortunately most were below three stars:

Hell (Horror/SciFi/Thriller) - *** - Not much blood and gore but a decent story, loved the cinematography and thought the acting was decent. I really enjoyed this one.

Lovely Molly (Drama/Horror) - **3/4 - It has it's moments and could have been much better, I just did not care for the ending.

The Incident (Asylum Blackout) - (Horror/Thriller) - ***1/4 - Takes about 1/2 hour to get going but once it does it's not back. Some good blood and gore and I could not help but think "What would I do if I got caught in a situation like this?"

The Bleeding House - (Drama/Horror/Mystery) - * - Did absolutely nothing for me, I felt that it was a complete waste of time. There are many on IMDB that gave this high ratings, can't help but wonder if they had something to do with the film.

Claustrofobia - Thriller/Netherhorror (Horror out of the Netherlands) - **3/4 - To call this a horror movie is a real stretch, not really sure why I'm including it.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane - (Horror/Mystery/Thriller) - **1/2 - I'm including this because General K asked about it. It's been over five years since I saw this so I really don't remember why I only gave it **1/2 stars.

The Corridor - (Horror/Thriller) - ** - This one started out pretty interesting but I hated the ending.

Baby Blood - (Horror) - **1/2 - 1990's French horror, it had it's moments but overall below average.

The Nameless - (Drama/Horror/Mystery) - *** - Kept me entertained but just average when all is said and done.

Sleep Tight - (Horror/Psychological Thriller) - ***1/4 - Loved the beginning, caught me off guard. Creepy and disturbing.

The Bunny Game - (Horror) - * - After the opening sequence a complete waste of time.

Midnight Son - (Adventure/Drama/Horror) - ***1/2 - A different take on an old theme, I really enjoyed this one.

The Snowtown Murders - (Crime/Drama/Thriller) - *** - I know, it's not a horror movie but it's based upon a real event, it's interesting, decent acting and it's about serial killing and torture.

Dead Season - (Horror/SciFi) - **1/2 - Most of you have all ready seen this, not bad.

The Afflicted - (Horror/Thriller) - * - Based upon a true story but bored me to death.

Detention - (Comedy/Horror) - ** - I don't really remember much about this movie, probably why I only gave it two stars.

Rec 3 - (Horror/Thriller) - **3/4 - Nothing like Rec 1 or 2 but not bad. Does have some good gore and some humor, just don't expect anything like Rec 1 or 2 and you will enjoy it much more.

Girls Gone Dead - (Comedy/Horror) - ** - If you are going to watch this at least watch the 'Unrated and Exposed Edition'.

Some Guy Who Kills People - (Comedy/Horror/Thriller) - *** - Bloody and funny, what more can you ask for?

The Awakening - (Horror/Thriller) - *** - Very entertaining and a bit creepy at times.

Livide - (Fantasy/Horror) - ***1/2 - The first time I watched this I only rated it three starts (I think I was expecting something completely different and was disappointed). After re-watching it I raised my rating and am looking forward to seeing it again.

Enter Nowhere - (Horror/Mystery/Thriller) - **3/4 - Low budget Indie with a twist, entertaining throughout but the ending let me down, even so I'm looking forward to watching this one again.

Absentia - (Drama/Horror/Mystery) - **1/2 - The beginning of this really had me hooked and kept me hooked most of the way through the movie, the ending was a bit of a letdown but overall worth the watch.

The Inkeepers - (Horror/Thriller) - ** - Nothing like a good ole ghost story, too bad this one was a bit of a weak.

Outpost: Black Sun - (Action/Horror) - **1/2 - Nazi zombies

Ashes - (Horror/SciFi/Thriller) - * - Needless to say I don't even remember much about this film other than it was really bad.

Dark Souls aka Zombie Driller - 1/4 of a star - This was so bad it didn't even rate one full star. Bad thing is it was so bad it was good it was just so bad it was sad.

Keep an eye out for these two...

V/H/S - (Horror/Thriller) - ***1/2 - This has been on the Festival circuit since the first of the year, coming to VOD 31 August and limited release 5 October. A collection of short 'found footage' type films loosely connected together but very entertaining... don't miss this one.

Nailbiter - (Horror) - *** - On the festival circuit, catch it if you can.

That's it for now.. many of these may not be readily available in the US yet (or are still on the festival circuit), several I bought off of eBay or from the Amazons i.e. Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, etc.

These should keep you busy for awhile and I'm still looking. Really need to get some good stuff for October!

Just wondering, anyone here into sim racing (iRacing primarily)?

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #2628 of 10632 Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the post Airboss.

Currently watching my first viewing of frontier on fearnet channel. Missed the beginning but dam the French no how to do horror.

post #2629 of 10632 Old 08-25-2012, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would just be happy if the studios came out and apologized for the ring, ring 2, grudge and all the other pg13 crap they have moved through the Hollywood machine. Jump scares are for kids.I think the last pg13 horror movie I enjoyed was Darkness falls. Very well done. I will give the director props for working with the studios but keeping the tone of the movie dark. I have really been enjoying the first time directors that have been popping up in the last year or so. A lot of talent out there. Just need the right ones to take a chance.

Exactly why I gravitate towards foreign films more often than not... you'd think after so many remakes of foreign original horror someone on the left coast would have an original idea. Cabin in the woods was fairly original I just went into it expecting more... at least Thor was in it for a bit to keep the Mrs. happy.
Quote:

No sweat. Diff'rent strokes... I think The Ring was the last remake I enjoyed just as much as the original. Naomi Watts may have something to do with it though. smile.gif
ChillerTV has been playing Troll 2 and Best Worst Movie all night. So horrifically good.
I actually liked the ring because it had the tension and the story (now too cliche to enjoy much) that at the time was somewhat different color and other US horror. Wz if you want my copy of Livide this October let me know, can't promise it will rock but has some pretty great moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Hey Guys, I've been meaning to post for quite a while now but it seems as if I never have any time. Don't know where the time is going but the days are flying by and before I know it another day has gone by without posting anything. So I told myself I'd post something tonight even if it may be kind of lame.
I have been trying to find a decent horror movie for months and sadly most I've watched were not very good. For what it's worth here's a list of most of the horror movies I've watched over the pass few months with the rating (one to five starts with five being the best) I gave each. Three stars is an average movie, anything above three stars for my ratings is above average for one or more reasons... to get four or better requires a movie be outstanding.... unfortunately most were below three stars:
That's it for now.. many of these may not be readily available in the US yet (or are still on the festival circuit), several I bought off of eBay or from the Amazons i.e. Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, etc.
These should keep you busy for awhile and I'm still looking. Really need to get some good stuff for October!
Just wondering, anyone here into sim racing (iRacing primarily)?
Great to have you back Airboss!!! Glad to see you got and watched your copy of Livide. I enjoyed it was well but wanted a bit more, I did a mini review on it but if you have any insight shoot me a PM. I'll be scratching Mandy lane off my list, that just looked too juvenile and when after reading the bad reviews and the good ones you could see it was the caliber of AVS horror fanatics that were giving poor marks. I'm looking forward to seeing Asylum Blackout, Midnight Son, and Lovely Molly. I agree with you on Adsention, good concept but just never really reached lift off for me.

I will probably bind buy Inbred and import that with a copy of Truista's on blu to replace my dvd. Looking forward to watching VHS too. Sorry not into the racing thing but if you are ever out my way and want to put some rounds down range I'm your man.

Do you have any special titles lined up for October, any great foreign films we should be adding in?
Quote:

Thanks for the post Airboss.
Currently watching my first viewing of frontier on fearnet channel. Missed the beginning but dam the French no how to do horror.
Watch Inside if you haven't yet, then Martyrs... those are both seriously fawked.

And in case anyone is interested, sounds like this will be the last Paranormal Activity movie :
Oh and finally I have to share this prop I saw in some of the footage from last years Transworld Haunt where all the best come to advertise and sell their sick stuff to us sick people. This one wins creepy prop of the day in my book:

My Rig

post #2630 of 10632 Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Kenobi and Wizzack, check your PM's.

I tried yesterday stupidly to get my wife to agree to watch a couple of horror movies with me in October, boy did that go over badly!!! eek.gif

She has such a hard-on about this, she not only doesnt want to do it, she really gets pissed at me for asking. But to be nice i sit thru a million tv shows about buying houses and decorating houses with her, and to me, those are a horror!!!!

Oh yeah, when anyone knows when INBRED is available anywhere on dvd or bluray Region 1 or 0, let me know please!!!!!!!

never take life seriously
post #2631 of 10632 Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Some Guy Who Kills People

Love that title!!! LOL!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #2632 of 10632 Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kenobi and Wizzack, check your PM's.
I tried yesterday stupidly to get my wife to agree to watch a couple of horror movies with me in October, boy did that go over badly!!! eek.gif
She has such a hard-on about this, she not only doesnt want to do it, she really gets pissed at me for asking. But to be nice i sit thru a million tv shows about buying houses and decorating houses with her, and to me, those are a horror!!!!
Oh yeah, when anyone knows when INBRED is available anywhere on dvd or bluray Region 1 or 0, let me know please!!!!!!!

Amazon UK has a DVD (no Blu Ray listing) release date of October 8, 2012 but it's a Region 2 disc.... being Region Free is nice!!

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #2633 of 10632 Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link Yankeeman! Airboss is right, region free is the only way to fly and you can do it for $45 which is very reasonable IMO. Although amazon only shows DVD the bluray will be rleeased on the same day in the UK from what I have read, I'll probably blind buy/import that.

My Rig

post #2634 of 10632 Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You would need to have the old studio heads come out of their grave as zombies for that to happen. I'm sure they've been rolling over and over at the "kid execs" ideas of entertainment. I agree on watering down films to PG-13 to fill auditorium seats more.
post #2635 of 10632 Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Airboss thanks for list! At least there's a few there that are worth checking out. No 4 or 5 stars is a bummer. Sadly, no racing simulation for me. Kenobi, I want to see the zombies you were mowing down that were out of view. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

I've been on a vhs-rip kick lately and watched Slashdance (get it? lol). Remember the crime of being suckered in by box art at the video store only to find out the movie was nothing like it and a total POS? We have an offender here! So bad. They even had a couple of GLOW wrestling girls as "actresses".

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

31 Days of Horror:

post #2636 of 10632 Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Some Guy Who Kills People
Love that title!!! LOL!
I tried to watch this....it didn't go well.eek.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2637 of 10632 Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Slashdance... lol, too funny. I was browsing Vudu last night and saw that Rec3 is available for rent... $11.99 for HDX and a dollar less for each tier down. I also added some others to my wishlist that looked ok.

Anyone have some feedback on The Road?

My Rig

post #2638 of 10632 Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I was disappointed in "The Road" which I watched Saturday night. Good story idea but a little poorly executed. "Laddaland" which seems to only be on YouTube Movies right now looks promising. Unfortunately though I have an Android tablet that has HDMI out my HDMI to component converter can't handle 720p since the set is 1080i or I would rent it.
http://www.youtube.com/movie/laddaland?feature=plcp
post #2639 of 10632 Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

UPS just delivered this:

You push the screwdriver in to open the case to access the Blu Ray disc. You can also completely remove the screwdriver.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #2640 of 10632 Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is officially the coolest box set ever. Wow!

31 Days of Horror:

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page