October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 91 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 89  90  91 92  93  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 11:31 AM 09-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Maybe if he stops doing remakes! "1000 Corpses" and "Rejects" were fine. Nice to see him trying something new again.
larry

Only one remake, if memory serves. And honestly, that one was done quite well, imo.

Can't wait for Lords of Salem!! Its been a long time coming.

Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:09 PM 09-07-2012
Regarding NF queues, I've pretty much stopped putting things in my WI queue since they've changed way the site works. I had almost 500 titles there. I seem to find anything new I want to watch in their various "new releases" categories. As for Jennifer Lynch, she also did a film I liked called "Surveillance" and more recently "Hiss" for Bollywood but they took the film away from her in post production and edited into something she had not intended. She probably won't be doing any Bollywood productions again. Both "Hiss" and "Surveillance" are available on NF WI.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 02:07 PM 09-07-2012
Watched Rec 3 on HDnet movies this past Wed...movie was ok, kinda comedic and not on the level of creepy/scary. I loved Rec and Rec 2 though!
Airboss's Avatar Airboss 02:41 PM 09-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Regarding NF queues, I've pretty much stopped putting things in my WI queue since they've changed way the site works. I had almost 500 titles there. I seem to find anything new I want to watch in their various "new releases" categories. As for Jennifer Lynch, she also did a film I liked called "Surveillance" and more recently "Hiss" for Bollywood but they took the film away from her in post production and edited into something she had not intended. She probably won't be doing any Bollywood productions again. Both "Hiss" and "Surveillance" are available on NF WI.

Loved "Surveillance"!
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 06:26 PM 09-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Mine would, I got married on Friday October 13th by the Grim Reaper in a costume wedding. I wanted to get married on Halloween but they wanted more money and since Friday the 13th was that year too (2006) we went with that date. It was also much fun drinking shots of Southern Comfort out of the plastic Friday the 13th shot glasses we were given as a gift.

That sounds like my kind of wedding.

Anyone looking to whet their appetite there's a nice double feature on TCM Underground tonight:

2:15 AM

Legend of Hell House, The (1973)

4:00 AM

House On Haunted Hill (1959)
wonka702's Avatar wonka702 07:43 PM 09-07-2012
Gonna watch the Vincent Donofrio directed Don't go in the Woods remake on NF as soon as the little one goes to bed tonight. Anyone watched it? I remember seeing the original at the drive inn as a kid 3 horror movies for $5 I was only about 6 but I still remember the crazy funny theme song it had.
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 08:16 PM 09-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Gonna watch the Vincent Donofrio directed Don't go in the Woods remake on NF as soon as the little one goes to bed tonight. Anyone watched it? I remember seeing the original at the drive inn as a kid 3 horror movies for $5 I was only about 6 but I still remember the crazy funny theme song it had.

Funny you should ask. I watched it last year as part of my "Don't Quadruple Feature" smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/2160#post_21145623

Post your thoughts on the new one if you can.
oink's Avatar oink 02:01 AM 09-08-2012
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 09:10 AM 09-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

That sounds like my kind of wedding.
Anyone looking to whet their appetite there's a nice double feature on TCM Underground tonight:
2:15 AM
Legend of Hell House, The (1973)
4:00 AM
House On Haunted Hill (1959)

I watched Julia's Eyes last night, pretty good thriller! After it was over I saw Legend of Hell House was on so I watched it for about 30 min or so... looks great and I have never seen it so I'll add that to my list. You just can't beat the atmosphere of some of those older ones.
Ugh, I'm taking it seriously, y'all need to step up your zombie prep!




oink's Avatar oink 01:24 AM 09-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post


Ugh, I'm taking it seriously, y'all need to step up your zombie prep!

And here are more tips for the upcoming Z apocalypse:
http://www.livescience.com/23025-how-to-survive-a-zombie-apocalypse.html
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 03:31 PM 09-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Ugh, I'm taking it seriously, y'all need to step up your zombie prep!




General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 05:27 PM 09-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

LMAO! Well played sir!
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 11:31 PM 09-09-2012
FYI for anyone interested (or anyone without IFC OnDemand) i saw that Crowsnest (IFC Midnight) is available for streaming on amazon for $7.99 HD. wizzack posted it a couple pages back and Airboss has probably already seen it but just in case.

Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 09:21 AM 09-10-2012
For the first time in several years, I might not be able to view a movie every day. Going to Palm Springs for a 4-day trip. I might have to bring along the portable DVD player...
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 09:58 AM 09-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

For the first time in several years, I might not be able to view a movie every day. Going to Palm Springs for a 4-day trip. I might have to bring along the portable DVD player...
I'm concerned for my month as well. Baby consumes my actions until 8:30 most week nights and that pushes my bedtime if I cram a movie in. I usually make up for it on the weekends and can knock out several. The other concern is she is now actually responding to the TV and I hate for her to see certain things if you know what I mean. At any rate I will watch as many as possible despite the apparent drought. It's been so dry I nearly bought Cabin In the Woods for 18 bucks on Vudu. I talked myself out of it to save it for October.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 10:56 AM 09-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

For the first time in several years, I might not be able to view a movie every day. Going to Palm Springs for a 4-day trip. I might have to bring along the portable DVD player...
Hey, last October the wife and I spent the night at a hotel in Monterey celebrating 10 years since our first blind date. We had a balcony with ocean vie, set up on a cliff. Had a wonderful night but of course I brought that nights horror film to watch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I'm concerned for my month as well. Baby consumes my actions until 8:30 most week nights and that pushes my bedtime if I cram a movie in. I usually make up for it on the weekends and can knock out several. The other concern is she is now actually responding to the TV and I hate for her to see certain things if you know what I mean. At any rate I will watch as many as possible despite the apparent drought. It's been so dry I nearly bought Cabin In the Woods for 18 bucks on Vudu. I talked myself out of it to save it for October.

Good man, must shelter the kids from that stuff. Fortunately I'm a night owl so I've never had a problem squeezing one in unless we were out late.

I watched Spiderhole last night streaming on NF... pretty lousy movie. This year we will be adding a couple Haunts to our October experience.

Heartstoppers has relocated off HWY 50 to an abandoned mineshaft amusement center and will have 4 haunted houses.

FirghtPlanet in Sac at CalExpo has 5 haunted houses but it seems less legit based on what I see, could be fun though.

I'm starting to gather materials to work on my little haunt for the garage, wont have the funds to do what I'd like to do after the Boogeyman mask purchase but I have some good ideas and hope it will turn out well.
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 12:58 PM 09-10-2012
Kenobi, I'm thinking about adding a new figure to my front yard decorations. Has anyone here heard of the "Slender Man"? This is an internet-based myth (see this link for more: http://theslenderman.wikia.com/wiki/Slender_Man). Basically, he's a long-limbed, blank-faced boogeyman in a black suit who preys on children (see pic). Kind of like Jack Skellington without the face or charming personality.



Anyway, I thought it would be cool to build a Slender Man for the front yard, but I'm drawing a blank on how to do his face, which is a complete blank white face with no features. My first thought was one of those styrofoam dummy heads they use for wigs, but those are disproportionately small. I am leaning towards buying a cheap playground ball and turning it inside-out, but that would be too roundish. Any suggestions?
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 01:24 PM 09-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Kenobi, I'm thinking about adding a new figure to my front yard decorations. Has anyone here heard of the "Slender Man"? This is an internet-based myth (see this link for more: http://theslenderman.wikia.com/wiki/Slender_Man). Basically, he's a long-limbed, blank-faced boogeyman in a black suit who preys on children (see pic). Kind of like Jack Skellington without the face or charming personality.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to build a Slender Man for the front yard, but I'm drawing a blank on how to do his face, which is a complete blank white face with no features. My first thought was one of those styrofoam dummy heads they use for wigs, but those are disproportionately small. I am leaning towards buying a cheap playground ball and turning it inside-out, but that would be too roundish. Any suggestions?
The great thing aout these types of projects is you will be the worst critic. Most "normal" people will have nothing to compare it to for accuracy. That said I'd recommend cruising the Halloween store for a mask or something plain that would work. Also consider checking the styrofoam balls at Michaels and other craft stores, by the larger one and use some filing tools to shave it down and shape it. Afterwards you can use some drywall patch putty and a small putty knife to get the texture you want. Good luck, sounds like a fun project!
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 02:42 PM 09-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

The great thing aout these types of projects is you will be the worst critic. Most "normal" people will have nothing to compare it to for accuracy. That said I'd recommend cruising the Halloween store for a mask or something plain that would work. Also consider checking the styrofoam balls at Michaels and other craft stores, by the larger one and use some filing tools to shave it down and shape it. Afterwards you can use some drywall patch putty and a small putty knife to get the texture you want. Good luck, sounds like a fun project!

Ah, why didn't I think of those styrofoam balls? Thanks! That also solves my dilemma about how to make a "Sam" head (from the "Trick 'r Treat" movie), which I was also considering making!
[

That is true about being my own worst critic...I will find myself fussing over the tiniest details but somehow it all works out fine for the trick-or-treaters.
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 04:48 PM 09-10-2012
Heartstoppers looks like the real deal. Wow! Great sets and actors in that video. Bob if your Sam from Trick r Treat turns out well you might be getting orders for more. wink.gif
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 07:31 PM 09-10-2012
Just now started on my list. Although most of mine will be kid-friendly since I have a nine-year old daughter, I do plan on slipping on a few when she's in bed. One that caught my attention that you probably know of is "Audition" by Japanese horror-director Takashi Miike. I caught some YouTube bits-and-pieces and it actually looks like a horror movie with some heart. Any recommendations?
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 08:22 PM 09-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Heartstoppers looks like the real deal. Wow! Great sets and actors in that video. Bob if your Sam from Trick r Treat turns out well you might be getting orders for more. wink.gif
If you google "sam costumes" there are some pretty good ones... it's a shame that movie never saw a theatrical release... really a fun Halloween movie, instant classic in the vein of Creepshow as far as I'm concerned.

BTW - Did everyone see that Carpenter's original Halloween will be making a theatrical run next month? The wife and I will be going for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Just now started on my list. Although most of mine will be kid-friendly since I have a nine-year old daughter, I do plan on slipping on a few when she's in bed. One that caught my attention that you probably know of is "Audition" by Japanese horror-director Takashi Miike. I caught some YouTube bits-and-pieces and it actually looks like a horror movie with some heart. Any recommendations?
I think Audition was in my 2009 list but yes, great movie if you can appreciate the art of "slow cooking" in horror. With a 9 year old it is really hard to get into any of the stuff we usually watch but there are plenty of family friendly Halloween flicks. If you can do the night owl thing for a few nights some of my top picks would be:

The Exorcist
The Descent
The Loved Ones (out later this month)
House of 1000 Corpses
Creepshow
Halloween (1978)
Pontypool
Sweeney Todd
Suspiria
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 09:01 PM 09-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Just now started on my list. Although most of mine will be kid-friendly since I have a nine-year old daughter, I do plan on slipping on a few when she's in bed. One that caught my attention that you probably know of is "Audition" by Japanese horror-director Takashi Miike. I caught some YouTube bits-and-pieces and it actually looks like a horror movie with some heart. Any recommendations?

I'll just recommend a few you could probably watch with your daughter. If any of these are off base please forgive my ignorance.

Gremlins
Critters
Troll
Troll 2 (not a horror movie at all but hilariously bad)
Ghoulies
The Frighteners

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

If you google "sam costumes" there are some pretty good ones...

Hmmm. I wonder if I could put my wife to work and have her sew me a Sam. Burlap head and felt pajamas can't be that bad.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 11:30 PM 09-10-2012
For any fans of The Collector, the sequel The Collection is due out Nov. 29.
Arkin escapes with his life from the vicious grips of "The Collector" during an entrapment party where he adds beautiful Elena to his "Collection." Instead of recovering from the trauma, Arkin is suddenly abducted from the hospital by mercenaries hired by Elena's wealthy father. Arkin is blackmailed to team up with the mercenaries and track down The Collector's booby trapped warehouse and save Elena.


PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 03:56 AM 09-11-2012
Is the Collector any good?

larry
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 07:50 AM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Is the Collector any good?
larry

I believe it's from the makers of Saw so there are definitely some Saw-like elements in The Collector. Honestly, I enjoyed it for the most part and would recommend it as a rental Larry. These days, what do you have to lose?
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 08:21 AM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Is the Collector any good?
larry

I believe it's from the makers of Saw so there are definitely some Saw-like elements in The Collector. Honestly, I enjoyed it for the most part and would recommend it as a rental Larry. These days, what do you have to lose?
Thanks. I'll be renting it.

larry
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 09:15 AM 09-11-2012
I enjoyed The Collector. Nothing groundbreaking but I thought it was very good for what it was. Glad to see there's a sequel - that poster looks wicked.

I received my Halloween II Michael Myers mask last week unbeknownst to my wife. Saturday night around 11pm I went upstairs for a bit while she was watching TV. I put the mask on and came down the steps slowly then stopped at the landing. I stood there staring at her for about 30 seconds 'til the dogs started barking and she finally looked up. Boy oh boy was she freaked! I even got the head tilt in before the screaming got too loud. Ha!
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 09:36 AM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

I enjoyed The Collector. Nothing groundbreaking but I thought it was very good for what it was. Glad to see there's a sequel - that poster looks wicked.
I received my Halloween II Michael Myers mask last week unbeknownst to my wife. Saturday night around 11pm I went upstairs for a bit while she was watching TV. I put the mask on and came down the steps slowly then stopped at the landing. I stood there staring at her for about 30 seconds 'til the dogs started barking and she finally looked up. Boy oh boy was she freaked! I even got the head tilt in before the screaming got too loud. Ha!
Sick bastard.
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 10:44 AM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Sick bastard.

biggrin.gif
First ... 89  90  91 92  93  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop