AVS Forum banner

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

1M views 37K replies 244 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

*edit*

Watch as many horror movies you can take in 31 days.

Thirty-one total.  One a day.  Thirteen.  Twenty-two.  Six?

As many as you want, just have fun.

Every night (or day) in October! It's tough, but can it be done? I tried last year but ended up having to go away for business and it buggered up my schedule.

Half of the fun was creating the spreadsheet of movies/format/date.

Who's in with me?

See less See more
#11,302 ·
Got a chance to watch FRANKENSTEIN'S ARMY, had it holding on the DVR for quite awhile. Great monsters, loved them. Campy. Fun to see all the creations, otherwise no big deal. Still, good enough creatures "put together from parts" to rate a 3.5 zombies.

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies
07- V/H/S - 2-1/2 zombies
08- FRANKENSTEINS ARMY - 3-1/2 zombies

#11,304 ·
Granted it was late, I was drowsy, but I can't shake the feeling that this was a steaming pile of turd masquerading as high art. I feel like I have pretty low standards when it comes to being entertained and this one didn't cut it for me.
Watch again in 3-4 weeks. It's my favorite RZ so far.

#11,305 ·
Digging everyones takes - good with the bad. :p

Last night was Brotherhood of the Wolf. (Le pacte des loups) 2001 FTV.
It was listed as a french horror with an A list cast but played more like a tame mini series with more of a swash buckling, romantic angle. Those French...

Theoretically, a werewolf is ravaging an 18th century province in France and, our hero is called in, with spiritual, Tonto-like, side kick in tow. I thought this would be another HARSH, brutal French horror flic, but like I said, it was more interested in the romantic angle than brutality. Still, a great cast with Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci. Unfortunately, it was two hours plus and dragged a bit...

This movie has -

Monica Belluci

Heroic taxidermist

Bad guy who likes to monogram his balls

Native American martial arts expert from the 18th century

2.75 Frenchy Zombies
This flick was a pleasant surprise when I watched it, speaking of Native American martial arts.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/review...vaged-is-a-gleefully-brutal-revenge-thriller/

#11,306 ·
Digging everyones takes - good with the bad. :p

Last night was Brotherhood of the Wolf. (Le pacte des loups) 2001 FTV.
It was listed as a french horror with an A list cast but played more like a tame mini series with more of a swash buckling, romantic angle. Those French...

Theoretically, a werewolf is ravaging an 18th century province in France and, our hero is called in, with spiritual, Tonto-like, side kick in tow. I thought this would be another HARSH, brutal French horror flic, but like I said, it was more interested in the romantic angle than brutality. Still, a great cast with Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci. Unfortunately, it was two hours plus and dragged a bit...

This movie has -

Monica Belluci

Heroic taxidermist

Bad guy who likes to monogram his balls

Native American martial arts expert from the 18th century

2.75 Frenchy Zombies
Frenchy zombies? Lol. They run away from the living. Oui-oui.:p

Reactions: GoCaboNow
#11,307 ·
Watched The Omega Man (1971) last night. Not really a horror title but pretty close. I haven't seen this one since the '70s. For a while there I thought Anthony Zerbe was John Lithgow. Anyway, it inspired me to watch...

I Am Omega (2007) - The last man on earth (Mark Dacasos) must battle the undead horde that rules Earth, in this low budget post-apocalyptic thriller that bears more than a passing resemblance to I AM LEGEND.

Another one by The Asylum. This one was pretty good. Not nearly as good as I Am Legend but still worth watching.

#11,308 ·
This flick was a pleasant surprise when I watched it, speaking of Native American martial arts.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/review...vaged-is-a-gleefully-brutal-revenge-thriller/
Hmm, sounds good! Have not done any "rape/revenge/Redsploitation" genre movies yet this year. :)

Not on NF though...

Watched The Omega Man (1971) last night. Not really a horror title but pretty close. I haven't seen this one since the '70s. For a while there I thought Anthony Zerbe was John Lithgow. Anyway, it inspired me to watch...

I Am Omega (2007) - The last man on earth (Mark Dacasos) must battle the undead horde that rules Earth, in this low budget post-apocalyptic thriller that bears more than a passing resemblance to I AM LEGEND.

Another one by The Asylum. This one was pretty good. Not nearly as good as I Am Legend but still worth watching.
The Omega Man was one of my favorite flics as a kid and may be why I enjoy the survival/shelter construction/creature beatdown genre so much. This, ALIENS, Dawn of the Dead etc...:D

#11,309 ·
Yes, I recall you guys saying that The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man, and I Am Legend are something of a loose trilogy. I had planned to watch all three films in one shot after October sometime.

Today I picked up a few new blu-ray movies, Jaws for $10, Pandorum for $5, and then since it has been mentioned in here several times, I also bought Event Horizon for $10. I never saw Event Horizon before and it's probably a shame that I didn't see it while it was still new or fairly new, but it sounds as though it still holds up reasonably well now. I am going to try to watch it sooner rather than later, maybe even tonight after it gets dark outside. Otherwise I have another movie pulling at me, 1408. Either way, good times ahead!

#11,310 ·
Yes, I recall you guys saying that The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man, and I Am Legend are something of a loose trilogy. I had planned to watch all three films in one shot after October sometime.

Today I picked up a few new blu-ray movies, Jaws for $10, Pandorum for $5, and then since it has been mentioned in here several times, I also bought Event Horizon for $10. I never saw Event Horizon before and it's probably a shame that I didn't see it while it was still new or fairly new, but it sounds as though it still holds up reasonably well now. I am going to try to watch it sooner rather than later, maybe even tonight after it gets dark outside. Otherwise I have another movie pulling at me, 1408. Either way, good times ahead!
Oh man, Event Horizon is so good.

#11,311 ·
the Mice, I think you and I are in agreement on The Exorcist Anthology!

I'm definitely glad that I picked up The Anthology Collection, the picture quality of the films was outstanding. Watching the five movies all in a row was a great way to kill a day off work!

Reactions: BornSlippyZ
#11,316 · (Edited)
Gave the zombies a break and watched Swamp Shark. I really enjoyed this one and it has a great cast too; Kristy Swanson, D.B. Sweeney and Robert Davi. Unfortunately, NF doesn't have it and apparently it's only available on blu as an import. I DVR'd it off the Syfy network. I do loves me some good cheese.;)

Reactions: GoCaboNow
#11,317 ·
I'm definitely glad that I picked up The Anthology Collection, the picture quality of the films was outstanding. Watching the five movies all in a row was a great way to kill a day off work!
Damn 5 excorsists movies, ouch you must really love Horror movies. I like them but can't do more than 2 in one day. The Conjouring is a good one, if anybody missed it last year.

#11,318 ·
Gave the zombies a break and watched Swamp Shark. I really enjoyed this one and it has a great cast too; Kristy Swanson, D.B. Sweeney and Robert Davi. Unfortunately, NF doesn't have it and apparently it's only available on blu as an import. I DVR'd it off the Syfy network. I do loves me some good cheese.;)
It's on youtube. I might watch it later this month.

#11,319 ·
Last night's movie............

6. The Quiet Ones- {3.25/5} Blu-ray This movie was fairly well done but suffered from a few issues that kept me from rating it a little higher. First, the unbelievably loud effects intended to make you jump were okay for awhile, but became a little annoying as the movie went on. Don't get me wrong, I love active surround channels, but this was over the top. Second, was the unprofessionalism and amateur antics of the group conducting the experiment. Apparently, this is based on a true story, but I had a tough time swallowing the way these people were portrayed. Aside from those things, this movie was still mostly enjoyable as there were many elements that I thought worked pretty well. This one is definitely worthy of rental for the folks looking for movies to add to their list.

On tap for tonight is likely going to be Shallow Ground and either Devil's Advocate or some sort of classic slasher.

#11,320 ·
Damn 5 excorsists movies, ouch you must really love Horror movies. I like them but can't do more than 2 in one day. The Conjouring is a good one, if anybody missed it last year.
I've done 20 since October 1st. Most over last weekend. This is the big leagues or a real sad state of affairs.