AVS Forum banner

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

1M views 37K replies 244 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

*edit*

Watch as many horror movies you can take in 31 days.

Thirty-one total.  One a day.  Thirteen.  Twenty-two.  Six?

As many as you want, just have fun.

Every night (or day) in October! It's tough, but can it be done? I tried last year but ended up having to go away for business and it buggered up my schedule.

Half of the fun was creating the spreadsheet of movies/format/date.

Who's in with me?

See less See more
#11,321 ·
Last night's movie............

6. The Quiet Ones- {3.25/5} Blu-ray This movie was fairly well done but suffered from a few issues that kept me from rating it a little higher. First, the unbelievably loud effects intended to make you jump were okay for awhile, but became a little annoying as the movie went on. Don't get me wrong, I love active surround channels, but this was over the top. Second, was the unprofessionalism and amateur antics of the group conducting the experiment. Apparently, this is based on a true story, but I had a tough time swallowing the way these people were portrayed. Aside from those things, this movie was still mostly enjoyable as there were many elements that I thought worked pretty well. This one is definitely worthy of rental for the folks looking for movies to add to their list.

On tap for tonight is likely going to be Shallow Ground and either Devil's Advocate or some sort of classic slasher.
I agree totally. The audio was great but was too much.

#11,323 ·
Damn 5 excorsists movies, ouch you must really love Horror movies. I like them but can't do more than 2 in one day. The Conjouring is a good one, if anybody missed it last year.
The Conjuring is probably my favorite horror movie in the last couple of years along with Cabin in the woods and the Evil Dead remake.

Watched Cabin fever- patient zero and Would you rather over the weekend. I enjoyed both although I had to turn my head once while watching Cabin Fever. The tent scene visiting the southern region was just nasty!!! Very good cast and nice story as well.

Would you rather had an interesting story and some viciously unkind choices put in the Participants hands. I kinda had an idea of how it would end and I was correct. Worth a watch!

Also a heads up for any Demons fans out there. After being on the fence about purchasing the Synapse films Demons and Demons 2 steelbooks, I finally made the plunge a couple months ago and it was well worth it. The audio and video quality is superb and the extras are nice as well. Not sure where they are with their inventory now, but if you are a fan it's definitely worth looking into.

Next on my list this week - Poltergeist, The Conjuring, Trick R Treat, and Let me in.

#11,327 ·
Damn 5 excorsists movies, ouch you must really love Horror movies. I like them but can't do more than 2 in one day. The Conjouring is a good one, if anybody missed it last year.

Heh, once in a while I have it in me to do an all-day movie marathon! I've previously done all three of the Lord of the Rings extended editions in a day. That was also about 12 hours by the time I was done! There is also a guy on YouTube by the name of Ryan Chattaway who has a 24-hour movie marathon challenge and certain users on there have followed suit posting their videos of their marathons! Later this month I have plans to do all four Psycho movies in one day plus the 1987 Bates Motel movie.

The Conjuring is definitely one of the better recent horror movies, I saw it in theaters but have not yet added it to my collection.

Just finished watching Event Horizon. I concur, great flick, I'd give it 4 out of 5. Agreed it is a little dated now but still very good science fiction horror. Excellent recommendation folks, thanks again!

#11,329 · (Edited)
I never watched a movie on Netflix. Is there a way to browse for movies? Is there any sort of movie list? Thanks.
It's easy-peasy watching movies on NF. They have a search bar as well as several different lists. With that said, they don't have everything available to stream. Some titles are disc only. Here's an example screenshot of my NF.

#11,330 ·
I loved the REC movies and can't wait for REC 4 to be released here. In the mean time I've been watching for Quarantine to air. It was finally on MAVTV Monday night so I have that one recorded. This morning I noticed Quarantine 2 is on Netflix streaming. I might go for back to back REC remakes tonight.

Last night's movie was I, Frankenstein. Plenty of action in that one. Too much really. Overall I enjoyed it but with so many kills it was hard to care when some of the key characters ascended or descended.

#11,331 ·
6. Stage Fright (Netflix, FTV)
Absolutely silly, which was a good change of pace after last night's choice. Yeah, pretty much figured out how everything was going to happen, but it was still fun. Would have been great with better music, but the heavy metal bukake, err, kabuki baddy was fun.

#11,336 ·
21. Scanners. Imma stare real hard and look like I'm fighting off a massive dump and blow up your head.
22. Haute Tension. FTV. It isn't perfect but it is pretty good. I didn't see the twist coming and read so many bad reviews I was skeptical but I enjoyed the ride.
23. You're Next. The lady lead is fantastic and I'm still on the fence if this is the most brilliant comedy in years or a cosmic alignment of errors in a flat home invasion. The hipster professional victim is strong with this one.

Also...three in one day. Boom.

#11,337 ·
Monster House is great! Also Monsters University and Hotel Transylvania are decent ones.
Yep. Solid films. I can't speak for Hotel though. My kid loses interest about 20 minutes in so that means I lose interest. I was gonna say to OP that Trick R Treat for a nine year old might be too much but then I realized my mom let me watch The Exorcist when I was like 6.

#11,338 ·
21. Scanners. Imma stare real hard and look like I'm fighting off a massive dump and blow up your head.
22. Haute Tension. FTV. It isn't perfect but it is pretty good. I didn't see the twist coming and read so many bad reviews I was skeptical but I enjoyed the ride.
23. You're Next. The lady lead is fantastic and I'm still on the fence if this is the most brilliant comedy in years or a cosmic alignment of errors in a flat home invasion. The hipster professional victim is strong with this one.

Also...three in one day. Boom.
:eek:You are killing it this year. I need to get further ahead so I know I have a chance of getting to most of my movies this year (some of what's on my list is leftover from last year). I just started doing partial movies during lunch this week (I can only do that 2-3x per week, so about one extra movie), so hopefully that'll help.

#11,340 ·
:eek:You are killing it this year. I need to get further ahead so I know I have a chance of getting to most of my movies this year (some of what's on my list is leftover from last year). I just started doing partial movies during lunch this week (I can only do that 2-3x per week, so about one extra movie), so hopefully that'll help.
That's how I roll. Up at 5, at lunch, then at night after the kid goes to sleep.