X-Men Origins: Wolverine - May 1st - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 204 Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I just think bryan singer has killed off every comic book he brought to the big screen . I mean look at this: Huge jackman as Wolverine???? W T F

Anyone who's read x-men knows wolverine was always an older, mean sob, grouch that had zero patient or temperment. Of all the hundreds actors in hollywood why on mother earth would you pick Jackman, who is a clean cut, wholesome looking dependable man that a woman takes home to meet her parents be Wolverine? Russell crowe would have nailed that part.

I mean does he even read the comic books before casting and shooting the movie? It's evident he doesn't, look at his pick Kate Boss for Louis Lane. Huge Jackman Singer should have picked for Clark kent Superman but no.

My favorite comic book growing up was x-men, and now I can't even bare to look a single scene in the x-men films. Saw the 1st one and that was pure putrid. Thanks Bryan you twat for ruining franchises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hugh has been Wolverine for all three X-Men movies. I thought he's done pretty well.
post #3 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hugh was fine in the X-MEN movies. He was too tall, but no studio would ever allow the character to be short, as he is in the comic books. The biggest problem was the studio telling Singer and co that they had to make him "nicer" and "less nasty." Those are the words of the executives.

The WOLVERINE movie is going to suck because the script is lame (I read it) and the head of Fox kept butting in and screwing with the director, as he always does.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #4 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Code:
Of all the hundreds actors in hollywood why on mother earth would you pick Jackman
Uuhh....Where have you been...Jackman has been Wolverine for three X-men movies. I guess they could have tried to find a new actor to portray Wolverine, but I thought Jackman did a good job and they probably think if it aint broke.....
post #5 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, as everyone else has pointed out, Jackman has been Wolverine for 8 years now, but not only that, Bryan Singer is not involved in the Wolverine solo movie, nor was he involved in X-Men 3. Really zoey67, your whole argument is pointless.

Oh, and who is Louis Lane?

Rocky
post #6 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Of all the hundreds actors in hollywood why on mother earth would you pick Jackman, who is a clean cut, wholesome looking dependable man that a woman takes home to meet her parents be Wolverine?

He wasn't the original choice; Dougray Scott was.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0779084/bio
post #7 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM

Liked: 123
Lamest...character...ever.

We've already had "Scratchy Saves the Day" pats I, II and III. Do we really need part IV?

Seth portrayed it best when he had Meg grow her nails as a "superpower."

Unless he starts getting a new power every 6 minutes, ala Peter Patrelli, he's worthless.
post #8 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I really liked Jackman in the first X-Men, I do think he lost a bit of his edge in X-Men 2 and I refuse to even discuss X-Men Last Stand.
post #9 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

I really liked Jackman in the first X-Men, I do think he lost a bit of his edge in X-Men 2 and I refuse to even discuss X-Men Last Stand.

Wolverine was neutered in the xmen sequels because they didn't effectively capture that Wolverine was very much an individual.They showed it in the first xmen,but once he become part of the team,he lost that individualistic touch he's known for and showed in Xmen 1.Wolverine,while a badass,is quite an a$$hole when he wants to be.It's acceptable in the comics and cartoons,but would have made him too unlikeable in the live action films.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #10 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Hugh was fine in the X-MEN movies. He was too tall, but no studio would ever allow the character to be short, as he is in the comic books. The biggest problem was the studio telling Singer and co that they had to make him "nicer" and "less nasty." Those are the words of the executives.

The WOLVERINE movie is going to suck because the script is lame (I read it) and the head of Fox kept butting in and screwing with the director, as he always does.

Matt, you read everything that has ever been produce in human history. Your not reading my emails, are you?

So you've got the deepest feeling this one is going to suck? Any predictions on the six-track Dolby stereo mix, do you think that will suck for sub bass?
post #11 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Wolverine has always been over rated in the X-men universe his first appearance was in The Incredible Hulk. Although a cool character, he should not have hogged all of the X-men films (he alone got more screen time than all of the original X-men combined). Do we really need an all wolverine movie at this point?

I would have enjoyed a few X- men flick without him so as to focus on more interesting characters in the X-men universe. As for the actor, he did a good job.
post #12 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

As for the actor, he did a good job.

And that's probably why we get this spin-off in 2009... He was the most charismatic on screen (and Famke Janssen was a thousand times hotter than Halle Berry)
post #13 of 204 Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

My favorite comic book growing up was x-men, and now I can't even bare to look a single scene in the x-men films. Saw the 1st one and that was pure putrid. Thanks Bryan you twat for ruining franchises.

The X-Men were my favorite (group) comic during the mid to late 70s. They truly were a bunch of freaks and geeks. "Wolvie" was small in stature, but large in attitude; I certainly would've paid to see a faithful adaptation of him on the big screen.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #14 of 204 Old 10-15-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If they had done a movie based on the original Xmen 4 issue miniseries from the 80's (the one where he is in Japan fighting their underworld) it would be excellent. From what Matt said (and would not say), the original R-rated script was just this story and seriously kicked @ss. Instead we are going to have more of the neutered cr@p as in Xmen 3. Really too bad.

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #15 of 204 Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMcCarthy View Post

If they had done a movie based on the original Xmen 4 issue miniseries from the 80's (the one where he is in Japan fighting their underworld) it would be excellent. From what Matt said (and would not say), the original R-rated script was just this story and seriously kicked @ss. Instead we are going to have more of the neutered cr@p as in Xmen 3. Really too bad.

That was the mini-series by Chris Claremount and Frank Miller wasn't it ? If thats the one your refering to, that was one of my favorite's, before that I
never really cared about wolverine. It'd be great to see a Frank Miller Directed version of this, but I dont think you'll see him attatched to a Marvel
film, as he and marvel dont seem to play well together.
post #16 of 204 Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

Matt, you read everything that has ever been produce in human history. Your not reading my emails, are you?

So you’ve got the deepest feeling this one is going to suck?

Well, I don't read everything. I actually pass on most scripts I come across. In regards to Wolverine... My feeling is it's going to be akin to X-Men 3. Mass appeal, but lame and castrated.

The rejected script did indeed use the Chris Claremont/Frank Miller limited series from 1982 as its framework, combing it with Stryker origin stuff from X2, Sabretooth (told properly and mean mean mother F'n MEAN!!!) being revealed as Wolverine's father (which was the original intended thing for his character when Marvel linked him to Logan). Logan's past bride Sky was included and brutally murdered by Sabretooth, while eight months pregnant, via a Civil War sabre thrust through her back!!!

There was a Wolverine vs. Sabretooth sequence on top of a bullet train while Wolverine was a kind of spy/assassin. There was some pretty good sex throughout. The finale involved a showdown with Wolverine vs Mariko's father, who was more than meets the eye in the movie. Adamantium claws vs. an Adamantium samurai sword. Off with someone's head.

I read this script four times. That's how good it was (is).

Needless to say, I am telling you more than I should, but my God, it just hurts me to know that this combination of all the positives of X2 combined with the glorious storytelling of the original Highlander and the epic feel of Gladiator was thrown out in favor of completely generic garbage.

If the script I have was not copy protected, I'd scan it. All I can do is type it up and post it, but no way am I taking that kind of time.

P.S. One reason it may have been rejected is it was written on spec by a writer who wanted the character done properly. His agent showed it to the Fox people, who optioned it on the spot and then threw it away. Nice.

post #17 of 204 Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

My second favorite story was the Barry Windsor Smith Wepon X story, Wich is where I thought they were origionally going with this film, but from what I've heard it bears little resemblence to that. Too bad, such a great resource of stories and writers to draw from
and they just dont seem to take advantage of it.
post #18 of 204 Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Question for Matt, or the rest of the group. Mainly Matt though. Why in the hell, after the INSANE success of 'The Dark Knight' would they do away with that script you speak of? I get they are looking for a payday, like with X3, but there isn't a bigger payday than 'The Dark Knight' to be had (thus far at least). Can they really not see the forest through the trees? Is there ANY way they adjust mid-stream and got a 'Dark Knight' route?

Oh, and off topic of 'Wolverine', but on topic for scripts you read, I heard there was an alternate 'Tombstone' script when Kurt and the gang originally signed on (that they all said they LOVED and can't stand what ended up on screen in comparison). True? If so, have you seen it?

Big Dumb Mammal
post #19 of 204 Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They didn't even know what DARK KNIGHT would do at the time and DK is rated PG-13. The script I read is a very hard R. Violence akin to Gladiator, with some pretty graphic sex too. It is mean mean mean. But incredibly compelling. It builds and builds and the last act is just astoundingly good.

The WOLVERINE movie we will see is basically molded after X-MEN 3. It's violent, but bloodless, with a storyline made simple enough for kids to follow. Had I not read the "real" Wolverine script that was thrown away, I might not be so hateful of the script they went with. But comparing the two is like comparing Rosei O'Donnel to Uma Thurman. I mean, the sabretooth in the Wolverine we shall see is just pathetic compared to how the son of a bitch was written in the rejected script.

I've given the script to a friend of mine who will attempt to copy it and remove the serial numbers from the pages. Unless he can do that I cannot scan and post because the guy who gave it to me still works for FOX. He'd be fired and legally in deep doodoo.

TOMBSTONE ran into trouble a week in when it became clear the writer was no director. Way behind and over budget, Disney fired the director, brought in someone known for his ability to keep a film on track and the script was trimmed by Kurt Russel himself and a few others. Frankly, the trimmed down script reads better than the longer one.

The film released to theaters was trimmed even further, but still works. The extended verison, available on DVD, is a big improvement.

post #20 of 204 Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

But comparing the two is like comparing Rosei O'Donnel to Uma Thurman.

Well it depends if they go for a scene with full... okay, no, nevermind...
post #21 of 204 Old 10-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Well it depends if they go for a scene with full... okay, no, nevermind...

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Thank you for the inside-info Matt!

Big Dumb Mammal
post #22 of 204 Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Liked: 11
Wolverine Trailer looks promising, even if the script sucks I'm sure it will do fairly well.
post #23 of 204 Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Didn't do a thing for me. Looks a lot like I imagined it would after reading the script earlier this year.

post #24 of 204 Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

Wolverine has always been over rated in the X-men universe his first appearance was in The Incredible Hulk. Although a cool character, he should not have hogged all of the X-men films (he alone got more screen time than all of the original X-men combined). Do we really need an all wolverine movie at this point?

I would have enjoyed a few X- men flick without him so as to focus on more interesting characters in the X-men universe. As for the actor, he did a good job.

+1 +1 +1 If I had my way, I'd shorten the love scenes in favor of more action, If I had my way (he,he). That killed Spider Man in my opinion, too much big head Mary Jane.
post #25 of 204 Old 12-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Movies are movies and books are books... I don't get confused between the two different mediums. The only movies I can think of which came very close to the books, were 2010 and oddly enough, the Sci Fi channel's version of Dune. I do not understand why people get upset if a movie doesn't stay true to a book, because it is really just about impossible to use moving pictures and sound in the same way a writer evokes mental imagery via words anyway.

Unless it is a cheep attempt to capitalize on a great written work, why get mad? The X-Men movies were great, and that new trailer looks awesome. I'm sure the Wolverine movie will be great. For the most part, I think most of the comic book transfers (accept Superman) have been really good.

Emergency, everybody to get from street.
post #26 of 204 Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Matt, I wish I wouldnt have read your post about the first script. Sounds like that movie would have kicked a$$

PSN: DaveS78
post #27 of 204 Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterPaul View Post

Movies are movies and books are books... I don't get confused between the two different mediums. The only movies I can think of which came very close to the books, were 2010 and oddly enough, the Sci Fi channel's version of Dune. I do not understand why people get upset if a movie doesn't stay true to a book, because it is really just about impossible to use moving pictures and sound in the same way a writer evokes mental imagery via words anyway.

Unless it is a cheep attempt to capitalize on a great written work, why get mad? The X-Men movies were great, and that new trailer looks awesome. I'm sure the Wolverine movie will be great. For the most part, I think most of the comic book transfers (accept Superman) have been really good.

Not sure what you are talking about here. X3 was not a good movie. It sucked. It was rushed to cinemas with a carbon copy plot and needless character assassinations (deaths) on orders of the FOX suits. The film could have been so much more.

Meanwhile X2 was amazing. Absolutely terrific. It had respect for the source material, but certainly didn't follow it like a blueprint. Neither did SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and yet it is the best superhero film of all time.

The FANTASTIC FOUR films were complete garbage. Insultingly bad. There was no respect for the source material and the writing was juvenile at best.

In regards to WOLVERINE, you have a studio that rejects the superior script in favor of the inferior script. There is no question about this. Those that have read both are beside themselves with shock that this could happen. But FOX is a badly run studio these last few years, with a guy in charge who doesn't know his ***hole from a hot woman's vagina. We have him to thank for the ruination of the ALIENS and PREDATOR franchise, among other stinkers.

People need to stop defending juvenile, by the numbers films. We deserve better.

post #28 of 204 Old 12-18-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NThe FANTASTIC FOUR films were complete garbage. Insultingly bad. There was no respect for the source material and the writing was juvenile at best.

One size doesn't fit all. Personally, I enjoyed the FF movies as easy going fun entertainment. Could they have been more serious, probably, but I don't recall the comic being all that serious. I liked Iron Man a lot too. Superman Returns not so much.

Actually, "Superman the Movie" for me has moved down the list. While great for its time it just hasn't held up well compared to the CGI capabilities of today when done well.
post #29 of 204 Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
In watcing the trailer last night, I noticed a brief shot of a young African-American looking girl w/ white blond hair.

Storm?

I see all the vitriol being spewed here over this film - that is still about 5 months out. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I loved the 1st 2 X-Men flicks & while I certainly agree the 3 was the weakest (the "Return of the Jedi" of the X-Men series, if you will), I personally did not hate it.

Jackman was always good as Wolvie, IMO and if nothng else he & Liev Schrieber could help elevate this thing. As long as Ratner is not behind the camera for this, then I will hold out hope.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #30 of 204 Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

One size doesn't fit all. Personally, I enjoyed the FF movies as easy going fun entertainment. Could they have been more serious, probably, but I don't recall the comic being all that serious. I liked Iron Man a lot too. Superman Returns not so much.

Actually, "Superman the Movie" for me has moved down the list. While great for its time it just hasn't held up well compared to the CGI capabilities of today when done well.

Rewatched the original Superman recently. While it's true that the FX, occasionally bad sets & overall cheese factor do not hold up, Reeve & Hackman both make it still worthwhile & enjoyable (plus, back in the day, Valerie Perine....Oh My!!!!) Would have NEVER gone w/ Kidder as Lois, though. Good actress - but you'd think someone "prettier" should have held Supes' attention like it did.

Returns was OK. Routh does a good Chris Reeve impression (reminded me of Ewan McGregor doing his best Alec Guiness), Spacey took Luthor to a nicely dark place, but the "plan" was too lame-'80s James Bond-ish & as pretty as she may be.....Bosworth was about 15 or so years too young to be Lois (esp if Returns is the "sequel" to Superman 2, which Singer kinda was shooting for).

FF & it's sequel had a couple of cool moments, but were just to "kiddie" for me. But the FF...I just don't see a "grown up" comic book movie coming from that source. Chilklis's Thing....well the rubber suit was just too obviously NOT orange rocks.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page