Who are the greatest guitarists of all time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am going to let you all in on a little secret, even though I might get crucified for it: I don't think Jimmi Hendrix is as good as he's made out to be. There I said it.

While I do think Jimmi innovated guitar playing all over the world, compared to who's come and gone and stood the test of time, I think there have been and are better. With that said, I wanted to create a topic and hear everyone's voice and opinion. No one is right or wrong, just different. I would also like this thread to be a reference for all the guitar lovers, players and fans out there. The guitar is my favorite man-made musical instrument, so I know I will certainly be using this thread to explore and discover new talent that I've never heard before. I hope you'll do the same.

To kick things off I'd like to voice my opinion on who I think the best is (are).

My number one choice is John Petricci from a band called Dream Theater. Dream Theater is a progressive hard rock/heavy metal band that started in the mid 80's under the name Majesty. Upon learning that name was already taken, they change it to Dream Theater.

John Petrucci studied at the Berklee College of Music in Boston along with two of his other band-mates. His style is very technical, perhaps being the most technical player that I know. His influences were bands like Rush, Journey, Deep Purple, Cream, etc. To these ears Petrucci has the ability to play anything he wants to, sometimes better than the original artist. For example, Dream Theater has played other band's entire albums at live shows such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast and Metallica's Master of Puppets. In some instances, John's reproduction was better than the original artist in my opinion.

Although Petricci generally sticks to one style, he's my favorite. His ability to nail every note, bring tears to my eyes and "write every chord, note and riff as God intended it - the way it was meant to be" (as my brother always says) is why I feel he is the best at what he does. Many will disagree, but that's okay with me. In fact, I encourage it because I want other's opinions and recommendations. The more, the better.

My second choice (actually, tied for first) is Joe Satriani.

Joe Satriani started playing guitar in his early teenage years and has since never stopped toying, writing and jamming. In the mid 70's Joe started studying music with jazz guitarist Billy Bauer and with jazz pianist Lennie Tristano; both greatly influencing his playing style. He also was greatly influenced by Jimmi Hendrix, Jimmy Page (another one of the best IMO) and Jeff Beck. Satriani toured with Mick Jagger and was also the lead guitarist with Deep Purple before moving on to being an instructor and finally going solo. Satriani has instructed many of the greats such as Steve Vai, Eric Johnson and Kurt Hammett.

I love Satriani's music because he has many different styles, plays many genres and has a certain flow and vibe that blows my mind. In my opinion no one plays the guitar better and easier than Joe, though Petrucci is still my "favorite." Hmm...to differentiate between the two, I'd say that Putrucci has the kind of style that inspires you to play, while Joe Satriani's style makes you drop the guitar and say "forget it! I'll never be that good, so I'd rather just listen and watch him in awe." Satriani makes it look so easy...I just don't know how he does it.

So there you have it; my top two. Some others who I think deserve recognition but aren't always widely known are Greg Koch, Duane Allman and Eric Clapton during his Cream years. It's also worth noting that I think Hendrix, Allman, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page were the most innovative guitarists to walk this earth.

I look forward to your thoughts, reasoning and recommendations. Lets keep it civil because no one is right or wrong. Bring on the opinions!

P.S. Check out John Petrucci's work with Dream Theater, such as Images and Words, as well as Liquid Tension Experiment and Suspended Animation (John's solo album). His live performance with Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater pianist) called An Evening with John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess is also quite amazing.

Check out any of Joe Satriani's albums. He does it all, from blues and jazz to rock and metal.

Edit: I forgot about Beck. DOH! He's in my top 5 innovators as well.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'd have to say that if you think that either of those two have stood the test of time better than Hendrix, you are talking to the wrong people. Hendrix is still a god among guitarists almost half a century after he last recorded anything. He influenced every rock guitarist that came after him to one degree or another, directly or indirectly.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #3 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are my top three:

1. Jimi Hendrix - the Band of Gypsys album is the finest example of guitar playing ever and probably the best album ever
2. Dickey Betts - while Duane Allman was excellent, Betts is/was the best guitar player in the Allman Brother's Band - checkout In Memory of Elizabeth Reed on the Live at the Filmore East Album
3. Larry Carlton (Played with the Crusaders, Steely Dan, and many others)

Only "new" players that have a potential to become one of the greatest:

John Mayer - The John Mayer Trio Album and the Trio portion of the Where the Light Is Album (especially the Band of Gyspys jam on "Who did you think I was") are fantastic examples of guitar playing.

John Harrington - Current guitar player and musical director for Steely Dan.
post #4 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 11:28 AM

I like to suggest great guitarists that define the sound of their bands without a great abundance of solo's

The Edge
Keith Richards
Peter Townsend
Malcolm Young
post #5 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Man, Richards is dead, yet he keeps making music!

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #6 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

In no particular order:

Charlie Christian
James Burton
Danny Gatton
Brian Sezter
Eric Clapton
Steve Cropper
T-Bone Walker
Link Wray
Steve Howe
Carlos Santana
post #7 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM

If you guy's are open to stuff of a bit more eccentric bent, you NEED to check out a guy named Buckethead. Even Jimmy Page himself called him the 'greatest guitarist alive'. His music spans pretty much every genre in the book and is just amazing.
post #8 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Great idea to start a dedicated thread, Nuance! Heres my post from the Salk thread where this discussion really got rolling with a friendly reminder of the "disagreement" that really started it

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

...I am a huge fan of Jimi's (though I did not care for his music when I first heard it).

Someone mentioned Dylan's "All along the Watchtower," and how Jimi made it his own. I like "Like a Rolling Stone", particularly the "Live at Monterey" recording. An outstanding example of why Hendrix is what he is. There is a fluidity to his playing, a spontaneity, and a beauty that makes me stop what I am doing (whenever I hear that version) and just listen... "You'll have to 'scuse me for a minute, jus' let me play my guitar... " what an amazing vibe...

Also, I must add to the ever growing list with a highly underrated, and excellent guitarist named Eddie Hazel (parliament/funkadelic). The 10min. (+)Maggot Brain contains one of the greatest solos ever laid to wax.

Last guy I want to mention is none other than Prince. Though I am not a huge fan, there is no denying that he is a musical genius, and an amazing guitarist.

Grant Green,
Wes Montgomery,
Dick Dale,
are a few more of my favorites...

Cheers,
Funk

Yeah, Buckethead is really good too. I am not a big fan of his solo work, though admittedly I haven't heard much, but the Praxis Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) album is outstanding!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #9 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Think once, think twice, think... Eddie Van Halen.

Post 1995... the worst thing this guy did was sober up!
post #10 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Most of the names mentioned in here can't hold a candle to the likes of:
Chet Atkins
Les Paul
Joe Pass
Bireli Langrene
Bucky Pizzarelli
JSUL likes this.
post #11 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I am going to let you all in on a little secret, even though I might get crucified for it: I don't think Jimmi Hendrix is as good as he's made out to be. There I said it.

While I do think Jimmi innovated guitar playing all over the world, compared to who's come and gone and stood the test of time, I think there have been and are better. With that said, I wanted to create a topic and hear everyone's voice and opinion. No one is right or wrong, just different. I would also like this thread to be a reference for all the guitar lovers, players and fans out there. The guitar is my favorite man-made musical instrument, so I know I will certainly be using this thread to explore and discover new talent that I've never heard before. I hope you'll do the same.

To kick things off I'd like to voice my opinion on who I think the best is (are).

My number one choice is John Petricci from a band called Dream Theater. Dream Theater is a progressive hard rock/heavy metal band that started in the mid 80's under the name Majesty. Upon learning that name was already taken, they change it to Dream Theater.

John Petrucci studied at the Berklee College of Music in Boston along with two of his other band-mates. His style is very technical, perhaps being the most technical player that I know. His influences were bands like Rush, Journey, Deep Purple, Cream, etc. To these ears Petrucci has the ability to play anything he wants to, sometimes better than the original artist. For example, Dream Theater has played other band's entire albums at live shows such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast and Metallica's Master of Puppets. In some instances, John's reproduction was better than the original artist in my opinion.

Although Petricci generally sticks to one style, he's my favorite. His ability to nail every note, bring tears to my eyes and "write every chord, note and riff as God intended it - the way it was meant to be" (as my brother always says) is why I feel he is the best at what he does. Many will disagree, but that's okay with me. In fact, I encourage it because I want other's opinions and recommendations. The more, the better.

Joe Satriani started playing guitar in his early teenage years and has since never stopped toying, writing and jamming. In the mid 70's Joe started studying music with jazz guitarist Billy Bauer and with jazz pianist Lennie Tristano; both greatly influencing his playing style. He also was greatly influenced by Jimmi Hendrix, Jimmy Page (another one of the best IMO) and Jeff Beck. Satriani toured with Mick Jagger and was also the lead guitarist with Deep Purple before moving on to being an instructor and finally going solo. Satriani has instructed many of the greats such as Steve Vai, Eric Johnson and Kurt Hammett.

I love Satriani's music because he has many different styles, plays many genres and has a certain flow and vibe that blows my mind. In my opinion no one plays the guitar better and easier than Joe, though Petrucci is still my "favorite." Hmm...to differentiate between the two, I'd say that Putrucci has the kind of style that inspires you to play, while Joe Satriani's style makes you drop the guitar and say "forget it! I'll never be that good, so I'd rather just listen and watch him in awe." Satriani makes it look so easy...I just don't know how he does it.

So there you have it; my top two. Some others who I think deserve recognition but aren't always widely known are Greg Koch, Duane Allman and Eric Clapton during his Cream years. It's also worth noting that I think Hendrix, Allman, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page were the most innovative guitarists to walk this earth.

I look forward to your thoughts, reasoning and recommendations. Lets keep it civil because no one is right or wrong. Bring on the opinions!

P.S. Check out John Petrucci's work with Dream Theater, such as Images and Words, as well as Liquid Tension Experiment and Suspended Animation (John's solo album). His live performance with Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater pianist) called An Evening with John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess is also quite amazing.

Check out any of Joe Satriani's albums. He does it all, from blues and jazz and rock and metal.

In no particular order, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Eddie Van Halen, Mark Knopfler, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Johnny Winter, David Gilmour.
post #12 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Copied from the Salk thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post

Loved Hendrix. Besides writing/creating some incredible music, he reinvented Dylan's "All Across the Watchtower" to the point that Dylan gave props to Hendrix for the cover.

Other greats and favorites of mine in no particular order: Ritchie Blackmore, Slash, Neal Schon, Billy Gibbons, Stevie Ray Vaughan, George Harrison, Mick Ronson, David Gilmour, Alvin Lee, Mike Campbell who have all laid down some awsome riffs and licks over the years.

Interesting read:
Rolling Stones Top 100 Guitarists http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/5937559

and...

Quote:

Another interesting link...
100 Greatest Guitar Solos (Eddie Hazel's "Maggot Brain" is #71)
http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #13 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Maybe not a great guitarist, but a true innovator of sustain effects creating his unique sound, Tom Schultz of the group - Boston.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #14 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Dave Lister

http://www.pollymorgan.com/images/guitar.jpg

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #15 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

unequivocally:

1) Satriani
2 Stevie ray vaughn
3) the lead guitarist for metallica (forget his name)
4) slash
5) absolutely NO ONE in the last 20 years
post #16 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

do we have to discount anyone using "performance enhancing psychotropics"?

oh, I guess there would be no one left...
post #17 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

do we have to discount anyone using "performance enhancing psychotropics"?

oh, I guess there would be no one left...

haha! We'd have to discount anyone from the 60's, 70's and 80's for sure.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #18 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

5) absolutely NO ONE in the last 20 years

Well, there's been a lot of study into this 'no giants among us anymore' thing that everyone always seems to believe. It's been pretty well I think shown that the issue isn't that there aren't any giants anymore, but that the small people are all just bigger. A good pro baseball hitter today could probably go back and completely dominate the game in Babe Ruth's time. Ruth was huge because he was so much larger than his contemporaries. But now, there's a well oiled machine to pump top physical specimens into the game.

Hendrix was huge because he was ahead of time in so many ways. But of course today what he did would be nothing special. There are huge numbers of guitarists who know all those tricks and many more and who have taken guitar technique far beyond what he did. He's one of my guitar heros, but it's just the fact of the matter.

When there are lots of giants, there are no giants, as the saying goes. We live in an age where things are much more examined and optimized and everyone knows that there are no boundaries and that you can do anything you want on your instruments. When everyone knows there are no boundaries, and goes beyond them in every possible direction, it's hard to be a giant boundary buster, because the boundaries don't really exist to bust really like they did at that time.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #19 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post

Think once, think twice, think... Eddie Van Halen.

Post 1995... the worst thing this guy did was sober up!

he didnt sober up, recent videos show him drunk and playing
post #20 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

For Creativity
  • Jimmy Page
  • David Gilmour
  • Eric Clapton
For technique:
  • Jeff Beck
  • Al Dimeola
  • John McLaughlin
post #21 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To the one's already here I'd like to add..
Manuel Gottsching aka Ash Ra Tempel
post #22 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Let us not forget Django Reinhardt. The man only had the use of two fingers in his fretting hand, for crying out loud!
post #23 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Oh, and add Tommy Emmanuel to the list of players mentioned here.
post #24 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think Bob Dylan considered Mike Bloomfield one of the finest guitarists he'd ever met, IIRC.
post #25 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Liked: 12
Randy Rhodes!!!
post #26 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Brandon,

Here ya go. John Petricci voted #11 Greatest Rock Guitarist: http://www.philbrodieband.com/muso_s...guitarists.htm

Quote:

Check out any of Joe Satriani's albums. He does it all, from blues and jazz and rock and metal.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #27 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Brandon,

Here ya go. John Petricci voted #11 Greatest Rock Guitarist: http://www.philbrodieband.com/muso_s...guitarists.htm

Ha - what do ya know... I agree with a lot of that list, well, except for #1 of course. Good to see Satriani and Petrucci in the top twenty.

If we're talking greatest influences in rock 'n roll, I'd put Hendrix in the top 5, but not first. I think Page would have to be first, probably followed by Clapton, Beck, Van Halen and then Hendrix.

Now if we're talking apples to apples straight up talent...well, that's highly opinionated I suppose, but Satriani and Petrucci could/do play anything those others boys do, and then some. My opinion, of course.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #28 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 PM

Many guitarists are better technically then Hendrix, but I think Hendrix gets his rating because his playing style is more melodic and original. It doesn't sound like run-of-the-mill rock guitar, as almost everyone else does. Most rock guitarists sound like they're doing variations on the same style, while Hendrix's style was fresher and more unique, from a melodic point of view. But a lot of the mentioned guitarists, I'm not familiar with, so I can't really comment on how they compare to Hendrix.
post #29 of 319 Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If we're talking greatest influences in rock 'n roll, I'd put Hendrix in the top 5, but not first. I think Page would have to be first, probably followed by Clapton, Beck, Van Halen and then Hendrix.

Sorry bud, but I feel that Page, and Clapton were straight up copying the real Bluesmen of the time they simply put their own british spin on it. They were indeed influential, but I doubt they should be in the top 5, and certainly not ahead of Hendrix! Beck was indeed an innovator but again not as influential as the heavies. I think Eddie Van Halen has his place but I would not put him in the top five most influential either. Jimi would fall in at about #3 (for me) on that list... should read something like this:

1. Robert Johnson (with out his influence none of these guys would be doin' their thing)

2. Les Paul (by making the first solid bodied electric guitar he influenced everybody who has ever picked one up)[Rickenbacker made the first electric hollow body in the 30's, but Les Pauls design revolutionized guitar playing]

3. Jimi Hendrix (his influence is simply undeniable, ask any of your guitar heros who their influences are and I am sure that Jimi will have a spot on every one of their lists)

4. Chuck Berry (brought us a style that we all know as rock and roll)

5. This is where it gets tricky the first four were easy... should probably be a guy like B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, or Bo Didley.

...and then Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck...
(just my opinion, of course)

Cheers,
Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #30 of 319 Old 10-19-2008, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote: