H.G. Wells “War of the Worlds” (1953) region 2 special edition - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Picked up a reduced classic H.G. “Wells War of the Worlds” I’ll get around to seeing this later in the evening that’s providing of course I don’t get too distracted by JP III.

Extras galore on this DVD should be rather entertaining when I get around to viewing it over sometime late in the day, or the very least over the weekend. Film has a stereo surround mix Dolby 4:2:4 hmm, not sure if the original was stereo maybe late remix in later years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Wow very impressive it's the best version of The War of the Worlds I've seen and heard and felt over the television broadcast that I saw many years agoFor this version I used Dolby stereo pro-logic as it its encoded stereo 2.0 left and right so I manually switched to Dolby stereo and selected sw-re-mix to divert the bass to the main JBL 4645 sub bass.

Impact of the alien craft on chapter 2 was cool. Sounded like the frequency response impact was within 40Hz 60Hz? At present I'm listening to the original Mercury Theatre (1938) radio play that is part of bonus extras on the single DVD that runs for 59m.09s.

When it's finished I'll get around to some region 2 screen captures. The Technicolor depth was nice and deep on this transfer. Picture is academy ratio 1.33:1 and that's how it should be left with no artificial matting.

Oh this is interesting just found this fact about the soundtrack. 3 Channel Stereo (Western Electric Multi-Track Magnetic Stereophonic) (35 mm magnetic prints) | Mono (Western Electric Recording) (35 mm optical prints)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046534/
post #3 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Really time for us to see this on BD IMO.

Art

post #4 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Animated DVD main menu with title score playing over it in repeat, until you press play the main menu repeats over and over and over, cool.

post #5 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Really time for us to see this on BD IMO.

Art

I know...then we will REALLY be able to see the strings holding up the tripods more clearly

Seriously though, I agree. This was one of my all time favorites growing up.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

I know...then we will REALLY be able to see the strings holding up the tripods more clearly

Seriously though, I agree. This was one of my all time favorites growing up.

Well you must be really blind if you can't see it on the DVD. It sticks out like sore thumb I guess more camera diffusion was needed and smoke to hide the wires or, with digital technology they can be removed. Nothing more nothing less.

post #7 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is an interesting question though....and it speaks to the "tampering" of older films. Just because we can digitally remove things like the wires, does it mean we should?
post #8 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is an interesting question though....and it speaks to the "tampering" of older films. Just because we can digitally remove things like the wires, does it mean we should?

Just as, long as the studio provides us (fair and squarely) with the original version of the film. Unlike George milking Lucas, who's too tight a$£ too even provide the fans, with the original on DVD.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

Just as, long as the studio provides us (fair and squarely) with the original version of the film. Unlike George milking Lucas, who's too tight a$£ too even provide the fans, with the original on DVD.

I think that would be a good compromise.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think that would be a good compromise.

Just like The Abyss one of the best DVD dual versions I have. I tend to watch the theatrical version six-track Dolby stereo and only if Lucas had stuck to his lightsabers and blasters he wouldn’t have such fan hatred right now the Muppet.

James Cameron my hat off to you sir for The Abyss. I Never had a chance to see The Abyss in 70mm Dolby stereo I had to settle for the 35mm Dolby stereo version and when DVD came around it offred the chance of both words I’ve only watched the special edition a few times on VHS early 1990’s and then once on DVD I’ve ran the original 1989 version many times it sounds far better over the other version where if you pay strict attention to the LCR fronts there’s centre dialogue leakage onto the L/R at certain points in the mix and that really sucks!

There is similar issue with Aliens special edition where the dialogue sounds like production recording rather than ADR looping sessions where the tone quality in my personal opinion sounds damn good.

There are slight minor dialogue leakage over to L/R with the theatrical version and I think this is normal as this type of style has cropped up in number of 70mm six-track versions on DVD and the odd few dts releases

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Cocoon
Aliens
Apollo 13

I’d have to go to the bedroom and look at the nearly 1000 titles and see which ones I’ve missed but the few I listed above sums it up. Now go and listen!

I would like 5.1 version of The War of the Worlds but not with any new silly Superman the movie or Star Trek the motion picture sound effects because those Muppets have practically killed the film off and the interest that was once hype has now backfired and gone from 10 down to 2 not interested in silly backyard dodgy sound effects.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What we need on BD is:

War of the Worlds
This Island Earth
When Worlds Collide
Destination Moon
Conquest of Space

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

Equipment consists of: Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector(ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rears); Earthquake P12 sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split A/C.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

James Cameron my hat off to you sir for The Abyss.

Don't give him a big head just yet. He still needs to actually release a version that doesn't look like crap.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just finished listening to the audio commentary by Ann Robinson and Gene Barry very interesting listening Ann was really into the commentary from Technicolor three-strip to small details on the filming.

Listening to secondary audio commentary 13 minutes in at the moment with director Joe Dante film historian Bob Burns and author Bill Warren. Dante pointed out the stereo tracks first time for fans to hear. Dante also gives great insight to other performers in the film.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-24-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sound effects of the of the cobra head sticking out the cylinder is cymbal that is reverberating. Ben Burtt researched the film. The heat ray is actually an electric guitar with added reverb LOL wow I wouldn’t have guessed that.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting point that is being mentioned on the commentary again is the Technicolor format going to Eastman colour where the wires on the machines are more noticeable. I wonder if the version here is Eastman Colour because the wires are visible on the screen capture a few posts up.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

“No, no it’s supported from the ground by rays. Probably some form of magnetic flux. Like invisible legs. This is amazing”. LOL
post #17 of 18 Old 12-24-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 63
When I was in Forry Ackerman's home back in 1969, I actually held in my hands the three eyed ray and neck from the saucer at the beginning of the film. Since that's one of my favorite films, it was quite a thrill.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

Equipment consists of: Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector(ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rears); Earthquake P12 sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split A/C.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-26-2008, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

When I was in Forry Ackerman's home back in 1969, I actually held in my hands the three eyed ray and neck from the saucer at the beginning of the film. Since that's one of my favorite films, it was quite a thrill.

I must have seen this film well over ten times now since first time I saw it on television, maybe close to or just over 20 times?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page