Journeyman's guide to music/AKA MusicQuest (So Far...) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been without my Transporter for going on three weeks, so needless to say I am missing it. I am sitting here tonight listening on my laptop since I am ripping CDs onto my server. So, I thought I would make a post about music.

I have been a member of AVS for about six months now. Whereas, I have read countless consumer reviews of speakers, CD players, and other assorted audio paraphernalia I feel like I have read too little about what makes me want better speakers, sources, and amps - that being the music. I really do love the stuff. I have what I would consider a fairly large CD collection that is growing quicker now than it ever has and I thought it would be fun to create a place where the guys I have gotten to know here on AVS could come to talk about rock n roll, jazz, blues, R&B, hip-hop, electronica, folk, classical and possibly even opera. I know not everyone in search of their "perfect" speaker is also in search of their "music that will change their life" but for the most part I am. Hopefully, a few of the Journeymen are too. Understand, this can easily extend into concert Blu and vinyl. I would prefer that we keep out of movies though.

It would be nice to have another place to turn for new music suggestions. We can each gauge one another's taste, find out where we overlap and where we don't and expand one another's palettes as well. Who knows, maybe Tim will finally start buying some CDs that could actually sound good through something other than these:

Sorry Tim. Sometimes, I can't help but post a pic of boomboxes. And honestly, hair metal is a genre I can definitely get an education in as my collection is quite barren of the stuff. So, there is an area you could broaden my palette with. What drove me to start this thread is a new CD I wanted to mention in the "perfect" speaker thread, but I realized it was really un-speaker related as I haven't even listened to it through my system yet. But I wanted to discuss it somewhere it could be relevant and also not de-railing a thread that has had its fair share of derailment lately.

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

I am really digging this. I haven't yet played it through the GS60s as it has only been inside the house long enough for the initial FLAC & AAC ripping. Since then it has resided in my car and on my iPhone. Fleet Foxes remind me of My Morning Jacket (mostly a result of Fleet Foxes' Robin Peckhold's voice sounding so reminiscent of MMJ's Jim James) with a distinctly pastoral, Appalachian flavor. This album is full of Beach Boys-like harmonics. If good vocals are a big deal to you, check it out. I am loving it.

-Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey i made it,lets talk music....
post #3 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am spinning Greg Koch right now (local guitarist) and just finished listening to Craig Chaquico's "Acoustic Planet." Both are awesome! I love music with unique and talented guitar and drum work.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #4 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I actually get more excited for new music than I do new gear. I have grown up seeing literally thousands of concerts and seeing live music is my favorite activity.
post #5 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of tonight's listening:

post #6 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I am so glad you started this thread Michael. Excellent title, by the way.
Here is a good chunk-o-stuff for you guys to chew on...

First off:

The BEATLES Abbey road.
Best birthday present I ever got. At 8 or 10 years old this album truly opened my ears and then opened my mind... Still one of my absolute favorites.

Back in Detroit (my home town) in the early-mid 80's there was a DJ that was know as The Electrifying Mojo. He ran a night time radio show on WJLB called The Midnight Funk Association. Thanks to him (seriously thank you Mojo, wherever that Mothership has taken you) and his series of broadcasts I was introduced to an entire new world of music. Many new worlds actually. He played a consistently good and eclectic mix of songs and not just the singles, he would play tracks from the albums that no one else would touch. I still remember laying in bed with the lights out, watching the lights of my old Technics receiver bounce back and forth, and thinking this is some really good $hit! He played Head by Prince and my teenage mind snapped, I couldn't believe that I was hearing this on the radio!

Rocker by day, Funkatier by night.

By the time I graduated high school I was a full fledged music junky and was heavily into both the Rock and Roll, and Punk scenes. Listening to Led Zeppelin, the Clash, Billy Idol, the Sex Pistols, Adam Ant, Ratt, Van Halen, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd, the Ramones, Dead Kenedys, the Doors, Danzig, Dead Milkmen, Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, Blondie, Talking Heads, the Police, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Stray Cats... and I had begun to develop a very deep appreciation for the F U N K... Parlament/Funkadelic, Gap Band, Kool and the Gang, Prince, Rick James, Earth Wind and Fire...

Even some early Rap had caught my ear with Run DMC, Fat Boys, Doug E. Fresh, Curtis Blow, Beastie Boys, Rob Base (my first 12" single), Ice-T...

Off to college and I met a whole bunch of people with new (to me) music: Elvis Costello, the Cure, Steely Dan, Bob Marley, REM, Sonic Youth... filled in some holes in my all ready fairly solid musical base. Not too much changed that first year, nor the second, but the summer after my second year at school I got a job at a record store. A fairly lame chain store that usually existed in a mall, though the location I worked at was a freestanding building in a quaint "town" area. A high-school buddy worked there already and he got me in the door. I think I only worked there for two weeks before I went back to school, but promised to help out during the christmas rush. Back at school, I found I wanted a bit of extra cash, so I bugged the manager at a much hipper record shop just off campus until he hired me. I immediately began to spend my entire paychecks on new music. Over the next couple of months I had been hearing some Jazz in the store that wasn't the cheezy late 80's "smooth jazz" stuff they played on the radio, and i found myself really liking some of it. I asked my Manager to recommend something for me, to get me started. Man, that guy hit the nail on the head! This is the album that he suggested:

WOW!!!!!!! I had to listen to it a few times before I "got" it, but when I did I was hooked. Awesome album. Should be in every collection.

Pretty soon I had turned into a full fledged record store/music snob. If you've ever seen or read the book High Fidelity you will know what I mean. The author, Nick Hornby, got it spot on.

Somewhere in there I tripped some acid and Jimi Hendrix took on a whole new meaning, and I became obsessed, buying up everything I could find from him. So too, did the Beatles, especially their later work from say, Rubber Soul on.

I remember putting a CD out in the rack for the first time that caught my eye. I took about a week before I bought it to take home for a listen and it turned out to be a really good one, that I pushed repeatedly into the hands of the other college kids that wandered into the shop...

I worked there for the rest of the year, and left that school but continued to work at the shop back in the Detroit area.

I think it was that summer (could have been the one before 1988 or 89) that I went to see the band Love and Rockets perform and saw them get completely blown away by their opening band! I walked in on several thousand heads bobbing in unison to some catchy, aggressive, and haunting punk rock being pumped out by three guys and a girl from Boston. I was immediately sucked in, and went out the very next day to buy their CD. It remains one of my all time favorites.

The Pixies - Surfer Rossa

Definitely one of the most influential bands on the sound of Rock and Roll. I was right there for the Grunge of the 90's. Connecting with Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Mudhoney. But there was something that was missing in Grunge for me. No Funk. I really only realized this right now, but it explains why I found myself listening to a little band from Amsterdam called Urban Dance Squad, and one from San Francisco called Primus. And a third band, this one from L.A.

The cover scared the hell out of me, but hinted at the intensity contained within. Another kind of scary CD was introduced to me around the same time that spun me off in a new musical direction... This music had a serious edge that I liked, it also was strongly influenced by Jazz, which continued to take a larger chunk of the shelf space I had for CD's. It had influences from hip-hop, and funk, and poetry? Making it very hard to classify indeed. That disk was this one:

I was now in art school teaching myself how to weld, and helping other students pour molten metal in the university foundry. So all this heavy music made a great soundtrack to that lifestyle.

About this same time I found myself digging deeper and deeper into the James Brown catalogue. Polydor was releasing some outstanding collections of his music around then, and I was snapping them up as soon as they were released.

About this time I quit the record shop and thought I would see if I could make the music that I loved so much, bought an electric Bass, jammed with friends, got involved in a couple of bands along the way, but nothing really took off. "Life got in the way" as they say.

My CD habit certainly declined through the mid 90's, except for a year or two that I got wrapped up in the emergence of "electronica". First with ambient collections and bands like the Orb, and then as Trip-Hop, and acid-Jazz evolved I was on board. Most of that stuff is in compilation form, as I would buy "samplers" from the various record labels, like Mo Wax, Ubiquity, and Pussyfoot. Artists like DJ Shadow, Greyboy, Howie B, Portisehead, The Grassy Knoll, and The Prunes were some favorites. The only real standout for me, from this era of my musical evolution, would have to be a laid back, atmospheric, jazz hazzy guy from Japan by the name of DJ Krush. This CD, his second, is the one that caught my attention:

He remains one of my favorites for just chillin'

I really liked the whole intelligent hip-hop & Jazz fusion that began around this time as well with guys like Guru, MC Solar, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul (I still like all those guys). The one that I thought did it the best was probably the most short lived, producing only two albums. This is their first:

I think there was some kind of lull in quality of more mainstream music during the late 90's early 00's. While Britney was shakin' her (not so) little butt; making teenie bopper music, and making a killing, my attention turned more heavily toward Jazz. Specifically a particular brand of Jazz/Funk fusion that emerged as "Acid-jazz" became more true Jazz, and a harder edge was put back into the mix, along with the Hard-Bop roots of improvisation. Enter Medeski, Martin, & Wood. I own the entire catalogue from these guys. They have been around since the early 90's but really hit stride in the middle of them. They have been going strong ever since. They are all really good, so I am not going to highlight one.

They have done numerous side projects, including a couple of albums with John Scofield. This is where my musical soul survived the somewhat otherwise lean years (of course this is only my opinion).

I really have to mention another outstanding band that shares some similarities with MMW. I only discovered these guys about 4 or 5 years ago, but they have been around since the mid 90's as well: Galactic. I own their whole catalog as well. Funny thing is I had picked up the first solo release from their drummer Stanton Moore when it had only been out for a month or so, but it took me a few more years to discover the New Orleans infused jazz/rock/funk/hip-hop/soul of his main gig! As a drummer he is outstanding. The albums under his name are outstanding as well and lean more toward the Jazz/funk side than the stuff with Galactic. Again, all good so I am not going to single one out.

This is taking a lot longer than I expected... whewww!

Just a couple of years ago a two piece band emerged from my hometown, that you may have heard of: the White Stripes. I do like them, and used to go see the band the Jack White used to be part of, a Cow-Punk band called Goober and the Peas. Their shows were a blast by the way. the only reason I mentioned the white stripes is because they opened the doors for some other bands that were ready to burst on the scene with their own form of motor city brewed, low-fi, garage infused, punked up R&B. The most successful of which is the Detroit Cobras who have a bit of a country twang to their sound. Then there is The Come Ons, who favor a more danceable sound, and cover obscure old R&B tracks in an infectious way. But my personal favorite to emerge from this scene is The Dirtbombs. A buddy of mine burned a copy of this album for me, so I could give it a listen (I have since purchased my own copy, plus a few other CDs by all three bands I mentioned here) and that one remains my favorite out of this crop:

Last but not least, I have been delving back into the Funk again, and digging up some roots. This is a "greatest hits" collection that I recently purchased because the band came up as a recommendation on Pandora, or Last.fm while I was listening to my Transporter. I have to say this is an excellent collection of songs, if you like that 70's funk thang. It is so good that it makes me wish I would have just bought the albums instead.

Of course there is a lot more music that I have gone through, and listen to but this is a basic sketch of my musical evolution.

Thats it for now, but I am thinking I may have to post an "album of the day/week" or something. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Cheers,
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #7 of 51 Old 11-08-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey David, how is that ambient Marley dub? and what's the Slip Eisenhower all about? never heard of that one...

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #8 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

This is a great start. Thanks guys! Like Ryden, new music is definitely more fun than new gear. Also, like you David, I listened to the self-titled Corrine Baily Rae tonight. Liking that one quite a bit. My first post was a bit cut off, since I got a phone call just about the time I wanted to go into my Funkmonkey-like dissertation on the music I love.

Abbey Road is one of a couple points of intersection in our music tastes. I got it at 13 I think. It was all over right then and there. I was in HS shortly after the grunge-explosion had started. I honestly never got into Nirvana until more recently. I was in love with Pavement and Guided By Voices, (both of which I still love), I also was really into R.E.M., U2, along with buying up every Beatles album I could afford and every Beatles Anthology item I could it left me pretty strapped for cash. It would have been before the Anthology days that Radiohead released The Bends, which is where my obsession with them began. Meanwhile I also discovered Pixies, who I still love to this day.

It would have been after I had left HS that my music taste started to get more varied. I will admit, I am still a Beatlemaniac at heart and I still love Indie rock, but my tastes certainly started maturing listening to Barret-lead Pink Floyd, Love, Hendrix, Uncle Tupelo, Zeppelin, Bowie, Talking Heads and some others. I still love bands like Arcade Fire and adore:

as well as their newer Neon Bible. These guys are kind of Bowie meets U2 with a nice kick of Echo & the Bunnymen. Check them out if you haven't, specifically Funeral.

Sometime after HS I really got into Nick Drake and as fall-out manifested a love for Joni, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith, Paul Simon, William Oldham (AKA Bonnie "Prince" Billy). That ended up with my start into Dylan, which oddly enough it wasn't his acoustic folk that really got me loving Dylan, rather it was Blood on the Tracks, specifically Tangled up in Blue. A friend of mine introduced me to Tom Waits, knowing that I loved Dylan & They Might Be Giants. It is odd that he pulled Waits as a connector between TMBG and Dylan, but I do adore him. Anyone with a song titled Chocolate Jesus is worth an investigation. After I bought my first home, I got more into audio gear and bought a DVD Audio disc. One of the only discs I own (thankfully since it kind of died) is Björk's Vespertine. Whereas I will not fully endorse her, I will fully endorse this album. The Icelandic boys' choir fills a great deal of this very wonderful album that has some extraordinary recording moments. It was also around this time I kind of got into a couple other Icelandic bands: Sigur Rós and Múm. Múm kind of exposed me to other general electronica, spurring interest in early Moby and Eno. The arrival of Radiohead's KidA, of course, helped this along with my interest in dubstep/triphop (Portishead, Massive Attack).

I can't say when this happened either, but this is certainly worthy of a pic.

If you don't have this album, AND you love white-noise guitar, go buy it. It was released in 1989 and is very much in the Jesus and Mary Chain vein of dream noise pop. Again, I do not remember when I came across it, but it has been a pretty regular spin ever since. I personally think it is genius.

At some point in time I started finally listening to music beyond the states and England. I certainly cannot pinpoint when it was, but probably around the time that I went to my first Lotus Fest. Bloomington IN has a world music festival every fall and the first time I attended (probably 8 years ago) I got a chance to see Habib Koite live. What a performer. He is also a helluva guitarist. This is certainly pretty typical world beat, but the man has a beautiful voice and this album is fairly well recorded as well:

World music listening spiralled out into Cesaria Evora, Les Yeux Noirs, Yerba Buena, Omar Bashir, Huun Huur Tu. Cheb i Sabbah was a likely candidate to tie my interest in world music to my love for Euro-house beats and trance. I also did, regrettably, started loving on the Jazz and Blues at some point. I will definitely pick up the Coltrane, Funk. Thanks for the recommendation. My Jazz collection is still pretty paltry. I love what I have, but my Jazz education is just starting.

And to throw out some of tonight's listening:

Wolfmother is to Led Zeppelin as Rancid is to the Clash.

-Michael
post #9 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Hey David, how is that ambient Marley dub? and what's the Slip Eisenhower all about? never heard of that one...

Guys, one thing to be aware of is that thread like this get expensive in a hurry for music junkies like us

Funk, Bill Laswell's ambient bud translation of Marley is a must one. He was actaully allowed in the original Marley vaults to create this. Some of it is very subtle but the layering he creates is amazing. A true test of a speaker's low level detail capabilities. It is one of my favorite chill out discs, along with this:

The Slip is a small known band from Boston. The entire group studied at the Berklee school of music in Boston (perhaps the best music school in the world). They began as a bit of a jazz style jam band playing with bands like MMW and Sound Tribe Sector 9. This album was their real maturing project. It is an excellent modern indie album.
post #10 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

You aren't kidding David. I already have a shopping list from less than a day.

-Michael
post #11 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

NOW is great chill music, one of my favorites. Smokers Delight was the first album of theirs that I picked up.

I am also a fan of Bill Laswell (another Detroiter), at least some of it. I will definitely pick up the Marley (though I have to wait a bit, I just ordered about ten CDs a couple of days ago).

Speaking of Bill Laswell... don't know if you guys have or know about this album, but I mentioned it over in the Guitar thread:

very cool, hard edged... best thing I've heard from the Laswell camp.

Slip sounds cool, I will check them out too.

Michael, if your just getting started in Jazz, I would recommend buying a couple of "various artists" collections to give you an idea of what's out there... there is a TON of Jazz. Blue note put out some great ones (marketed toward the trip-hop, hip-hop and Jazz crowd... wait a minute thats me ) in the mid 90's. Blue Note Rare Grooves, Straight No Chaser, and Blue Break Beats series are all good in my book. Some are still around, some are getting rare but they keep coming out with new ones like this:

I read through the track list and it is truly an excellent introduction to Jazz. Cheeky but well named as The Best Blue Note Album in the World Ever.

Wolfmother kicks as$. Always like that Aussie hard rock, ever since AC/DC Back in Black came out.

World music is also something that I have a deep love for. Especially from Africa. This is a great CD:

I failed to mention my love of Miles Davis through his entire career, I am a fan. As a matter of fact there are a lot of things I failed to mention in my original post...

This thread is going to get expensive!!!!!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #12 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Grenamc - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers is a great album! You beat me to that one.

Lately my wife and I have listened to Miles Davis and Gil Evans complete studio sessions - we are stuck on disc 3 on repeat for hours....almost as good as Kind of Blue (my original entre into the Jazz genre) Lots of tunes for at the time a great price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Miles-Davis-Gi...291356&sr=1-32

Sorry, I only was able to post the link the CD as I still haven't quite figured out the album art linking you all have..

Currently listening to -> John Legend - Evolver
post #13 of 51 Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:

This thread is going to get expensive!!!!!

Um...yes it is. By December my VISA is going to spontaneously combust! Argh! Where is my stimulous package!!!
post #14 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If you guys wants some killer Miles stuff that you might not know about; I highly recommend The Cellar Doors Sessions. It is a 6 disc set from Washington, DC and they actually pulled some of the best material to create Live Evil. There is some amazing stuff on these discs.

http://www.amazon.com/Cellar-Door-Se...6328307&sr=8-1
post #15 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Copy that... Miles items on my shopping list are the Silent way (complete sessions), Bitches brew (complete sessions), Jack Johnson (complete sessions), and the Cellar Door Sessions. That is my favorite period for Miles.... mid 60's Filles De Kilimanjaro thru Dark Magus mid 70's (even though I don't feel like he made very much progress after LIVE-EVIL) One hell of an electric eclectic evolution! The two best albums from that time period, and my two favorite Mile albums have got to be In A Silent Way and A Tribute to Jack Johnson. Very different sounding from each other, and they book-end the masterpiece Bitches Brew, shoot they are all good thru there, but personaly, I actually play Jack Johnson more than any other Miles disk, and In a Silent Way is just such a sublime experience... Damn it, why did you have to remind me about all the box sets!!!!!!!! I had forgotten about them just fine, and was happy with just the individual CD's, not even the latest re-masters but the first run Blue and Red framed Columbia Jazz master series... gotta be $350-$400 for just the Miles box sets I want!!! (again)

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #16 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Copy that... Miles items on my shopping list are the Silent way (complete sessions), Bitches brew (complete sessions), Jack Johnson (complete sessions), and the Cellar Door Sessions. That is my favorite period for Miles.... mid 60's Filles De Kilimanjaro thru Dark Magus mid 70's (even though I don't feel like he made very much progress after LIVE-EVIL) One hell of an electric eclectic evolution! The two best albums from that time period, and my two favorite Mile albums have got to be In A Silent Way and A Tribute to Jack Johnson. Very different sounding from each other, and they book-end the masterpiece Bitches Brew, shoot they are all good thru there, but personaly, I actually play Jack Johnson more than any other Miles disk, and In a Silent Way is just such a sublime experience... Damn it, why did you have to remind me about all the box sets!!!!!!!! I had forgotten about them just fine, and was happy with just the individual CD's, not even the latest re-masters but the first run Blue and Red framed Columbia Jazz master series... gotta be $350-$400 for just the Miles box sets I want!!! (again)

All killer stuff. I have lived in New Orleans two different times and have a huge soft spot for both traditional jazz and good old NOLA funk I would see live music practially every night that I lived there.

IMO the Cellar Doors Sessions are on another level. While being truly avant-garde and ground breaking their is a cohesiveness to them that is stunning.

I have a better idea than you buying all those. I will shoot you a PM
post #17 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

All killer stuff. I have lived in New Orleans two different times and have a huge soft spot for both traditional jazz and good old NOLA funk I would see live music practially every night that I lived there.

IMO the Cellar Doors Sessions are on another level. While being truly avant-garde and ground breaking their is a cohesiveness to them that is stunning.

I have a better idea than you buying all those. I will shoot you a PM

Cellar Door Sessions - hmm....Very intriguing. I guess I could just buy a couple early Christmas presents for myself Got to love those box sets!

Keep the suggestions coming!!
post #18 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The stuff you guys listen to differs greatly from the stuff I like but nonetheless:

Tangerine Dream's "Dream Sequence: The Best of Tangerine Dream"

This music genre can only be described as electric, as there is a lot of keyboard and synth work going on. If anyone liked the sound track to the Babylon 5 series, you'll like Tangerine Dream because it is the same guy. I like to listen to this because of the great ambiance and depth involved in the music. It literally creates a "wall of sound." Any of Tangerine Dreams stuff is highly recommended.

Joe Satriani's "Flying In A Blue Dream"

As some of you already know, Joe is one of my favorite guitarists, and the best there is and ever was in my opinion. "Flying In A Blue Dream" never gets old for me because it has a good mix of music. It's starts off with a bang, and just keeps on keeping on from there. The self titled track is my favorite, with "I Believe" coming in a close second. Joe's stuff is pretty well recorded and also creates that "wall of sound." I highly recommend this album if you crave guitar like I do; it's pure beauty!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #19 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Nuance!, nice of you to join us buddy

Since someone brought up New Orleans...

This is an album from a band that I saw twice in a four day visit to New Orleans. The first time was in a tiny hole in the wall bar and I was completely blown away. They were putting out some of the deepest, grittiest NOLA FUNK that I ever heard. And they did all of it with brass ! AMAZING live band. So much so that I had to see them again the following night, this time in a bigger venue, and the band had its full membership there. I get the impression that they have a rotating line-up of musicians, because they have been around for quite a while but when I saw them (2004) it looked like half of the players were still in or just out of highschool. But man did they COOK! So like a good little music junky I bought their latest release as soon as I could, and it does not disapoint. For those of you that do not know, let me introduce the Rebirth Brass Band

Hot Venom is the CD I have, they have several others but this was recommended as one of the best by a local.

I mentioned another New Orleans band in my first post so I thought I would feature them in this post, as well. The band is Galactic, and their whole catalogue is excellent. This was my introduction to them and led to me buying everything else I could get from them:

Their drummer, Stanton Moore, plays as a session man for many other artists, as well as co-leading a couple of side projects. But he really shines the brightest when leading his own project. (IMO)He is one of, if not the most gifted drummer of our time. I introduced this music to a friend of mine that is a drummer and he told me that three weeks later he still has the beats running through his head, and has been trying ever since to emulate the sound, with no success. This is the fourth CD he's put out under his own name, the first three were infectious foot tappin' Jazz/Funk of the finest degree. This one is no exception, and perhaps my favorite (so far)

Enjoy

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #20 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Funk, Stanton Moore's All Kooked Out is by far his best release either solo or with Galactic. I have actually known Stanton for quite a few years, but that is a story told while having a few beers

I would also recommend checking out Garage A Trois which is Stanton Moore, Charlie Hunter, and Skerik. I saw a sunrise show of their's once in NOLA that was awesome.

Also check out The Dirty Dozen Brass Band if you like Rebirth. Was it at the Maple Leaf the first time you saw them??

Ok, we cannot continue to discuss dirty funk without discussing the one's who transcended the genre, The Meters

post #21 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup! got the Meters 2 disk anthology. I usually start out that way and then wind up buying everything if I get hooked.

I don't remember the name of the bar for sure but Maple Leaf might be right on. It was a little neighborhood corner bar, low ceilings... On stage the trombonist had to crouch down a bit when he let one rip with the slide all the way out. I think they played there weekly.

Dirty Dozen are great but I haven't bought any of there stuff yet. The Garage a Trois is one of the side projects I was referring to. (I haven't heard any yet) I am somewhat cautious when it comes to Charlie Hunter, for me some of his stuff gets a little too cheesy; "smooth jazz" if you know what I mean. Nothin' wrong with that, I just like it dirty, and raw.

...wait a minute, did you say you know Stanton!!!!!!
I would love to hear all about it over a beer or three
All Kooked Out is awesome, and the album that introduced me to his music and eventually Galactic.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #22 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup! got the Meters 2 disk anthology. I usually start out that way and then wind up buying everything if I get hooked.

I don't remember the name of the bar for sure but Maple Leaf might be right on. It was a little neighborhood corner bar, low ceilings... On stage the trombonist had to crouch down a bit when he let one rip with the slide all the way out. I think they played there weekly.

Dirty Dozen are great but I haven't bought any of there stuff yet. The Garage a Trois is one of the side projects I was referring to. (I haven't heard any yet) I am somewhat cautious when it comes to Charlie Hunter, for me some of his stuff gets a little too cheesy; "smooth jazz" if you know what I mean. Nothin' wrong with that, I just like it dirty, and raw.

...wait a minute, did you say you know Stanton!!!!!!
I would love to hear all about it over a beer or three
All Kooked Out is awesome, and the album that introduced me to his music and eventually Galactic.

Rebirth plays the Maple Leaf every Tuesday night. Small bar with a little stage on the right when you walk in? It is next to one of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans. I LOVE New Orleans

I understand your concerns over Charlie Hunter, but there is some killer stuff of his.
post #23 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Rebirth plays the Maple Leaf every Tuesday night. Small bar with a little stage on the right when you walk in? It is next to one of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans. I LOVE New Orleans

Must have been there on a Tuesday, because thats the place!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #24 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Must have been there on a Tuesday, because thats the place!

such a unique place, cool that you have experienced it.

Tonight's listening:

post #25 of 51 Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Great thread..

I must admit my taste can run all over the map and I still love AC/DC and Van Halen but I highly suggest these two disks but you must buy the XRCD versions to really appreciate the quality.

I was really taken by sara k. "Hell or High Water". She is in the top tier for the female voice in my cd collection. This is my demo disk for sharing my Dynaudio Confidence speakers with friends, family and for myself .

I have also really enjoyed Lightnin' Hopkins "Goin' Away". Once again the recording quality of this XRCD is top tier.

-Rick
post #26 of 51 Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

I meant to post this yesterday but apparently my browser never registered my submit. With the talk of Jazz and now the mention of New Orleans, I couldn't avoid thinking ofthis.

In a word, brilliant. I don't have a huge collection of boxed sets, but this is the best one I have. Period.

-Michael
post #27 of 51 Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

That Louis Armstrong, has been on my "must get" list for years!!! Never got around to it... yet. I think it's sitting in my "save for later" cart at Amazon (the box I have in my cart is a little different, but the same Hot Five/Seven era) next to about 150 other titles, and a couple of new one that you guys have mentioned! Alright gotta go pack-up my transporter and send it off to Dan...

Cheers
-Greg

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #28 of 51 Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I am missing my Transporter right now, so I thought I would post the first piece of music that I sent through it:

a friend of mine turned me on to it in highschool, taped his LP. I bought the CD a few years later, and that got stolen. I just recently purchased the latest re-master (deluxe), and thought the sound quality was pretty good, better than I remember on the first version. I have not heard the surround sound edition that came out a few years back. Anybody have any views on the best mastering of this album?

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #29 of 51 Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Funk -

I've been regressing to my early high school days of listening to rap (like the artists you mentioned), and a friend turned me on to these guys.

Jurassic 5

Really good flow with an old-skool vibe that I think you'll like.
post #30 of 51 Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Indeed I do. J5 definitely has a good vibe. Thanks for the tip. If you like them you might want to check out a band called the ROOTS. Lots of flow, great live show. Hip-Hop/Rap out of Philly, but the best part is that they are actually a band, as in they play instruments so you've got live music and a DJ behind a couple of top notch lyricists. Great flow.

Here's a couple from them to check out:

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page