AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

ding ding ding

World War Z series with the quality of production and writing of something like Boardwalk Empire. Whoa.....

Yeah, I keep waiting for HBO, which has such a healthy balance sheet that they measure their profits in the billions, to take a serious foray into serious science fiction (no, GoT doesn't count - that's fantasy fiction, a different genre). Showtime tried it early on with 'Stargate: SG1' and 'Odyssey 5', perhaps as a way to separate them from HBO, but soon abandoned that approach in favor of more pedestrian fare.

I don't understand it. The niche for thought-provoking, serious sci-fi is wide open. If they want to increase their subscriber base in a significant fashion in this day and age where budget-challenged cablenets like AMC and FX are doing the stuff HBO has traditionally done just as well, it would seem that's one way to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 292 Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, I keep waiting for HBO, which has such a healthy balance sheet that they measure their profits in the billions, to take a serious foray into serious science fiction (no, GoT doesn't count - that's fantasy fiction, a different genre). Showtime tried it early on with 'Stargate: SG1' and 'Odyssey 5', perhaps as a way to separate them from HBO, but soon abandoned that approach in favor of more pedestrian fare.

I don't understand it. The niche for thought-provoking, serious sci-fi is wide open. If they want to increase their subscriber base in a significant fashion in this day and age where budget-challenged cablenets like AMC and FX are doing the stuff HBO has traditionally done just as well, it would seem that's one way to do it.
There are a number off great sci-fi franchises out there that could work well.
Frank Herbert's Dune series, for example.

I think a lot of it is there is a certain amount of fear among the suits regarding big-time sci-fi on the boob tube.
For one thing, to do it right, the production costs are considerably higher than normal.
For another, it takes someone with a lot of talent to make it all work (financially and creatively) and those folks are kinda rare.
Someone with those types of skills are more likely to be in filmmaking, rather doing stuff for the small screen.

Fear and rarity work against the willingness of producers/networks to take a gamble on this genre.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #183 of 292 Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

ding ding ding

World War Z series with the quality of production and writing of something like Boardwalk Empire. Whoa.....

You could even go the "different director for each episode" route like Masters of Horror given the vignette style of the book. Sure some would be weaker than others but it could work.
post #184 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched a 2D presentation today....4 1/2 stars IMO.

This is one of the best Z movies ever, Edge-of-my-Seat experience.

Kudos to Marc Forster....job well done, Sir.smile.gif

BP was excellent (as always).

My only reservation is the Hollywood Ending.
I would love to see the original, before the re-filming.wink.gif

For those of us who have read the book, we know a trilogy can be done with what's left from the original material (and hopefully with the same folks involved).

One of this year's Best Flicks.....more, please.cool.gif

post #185 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Heaven forbid there is not an oils well that ends well ending. I haven't seen the movie, just guessing, but it is PG-13.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #186 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding the "controversial" PG-13 rating....

I didn't find it a barrier to getting wrapped up in this movie at all.
There is PLENTY of Z-violence, without the usual throwing of entrails at the camera.
To say this movie doesn't work because there isn't enough close-ups of blood&guts is simply ridiculous.

The tension and suspense is non-stop IMO and well worth a watch by Horror Hounds.wink.gif

post #187 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Regarding the "controversial" PG-13 rating....

I didn't find it a barrier to getting wrapped up in this movie at all.
There is PLENTY of Z-violence, without the usual throwing of entrails at the camera.
To say this movie doesn't work because there isn't enough close-ups of blood&guts is simply ridiculous.

The tension and suspense is non-stop IMO and well worth a watch by Horror Hounds.wink.gif

Yeah, it was ok. But a zombie movie by definition needs to be bloody. Perhaps on the BD release we'll get our blood. Hey, CGI blood is better than no blood. wink.gif

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #188 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

But a zombie movie by definition needs to be bloody.
That's like saying a Romantic Drama needs to show penetration....tongue.gif

post #189 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:

That's like saying a Romantic Drama needs to show penetration....tongue.gif

I'd watch more of them if they did.biggrin.gif

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #190 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd watch more of them if they did.biggrin.gif
Well, yeah, who wouldn't?wink.gif

post #191 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 968
post #192 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Since Oink likes it it'll be middle of the road for me.
Come on now!
We get along just fine.

I can't help it if you're often wrong....biggrin.gif

post #193 of 292 Old 07-04-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Yeah, it was ok. But a zombie movie by definition needs to be bloody. Perhaps on the BD release we'll get our blood. Hey, CGI blood is better than no blood. wink.gif

*sigh* Yes, I know it's not a zombie movie but...how far we've fallen since Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho." wink.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #194 of 292 Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
saw it over holiday. fun entertaining light fare.

had nothing in common with book other than title and reference to israel

neflixis our nemesis
post #195 of 292 Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I still am having a hard time believing this is my second favorite film of the summer (Man of Steel being an easy #1). Everything else has disappointed me.

Next Tuesday I'll see PACIFIC RIM and hope to be impressed by a film that is now looking to be a huge financial disaster for Legendary Pictures (tracking is abysmal, despite positive reviews). Lucas and Spielberg's prediction is coming true far faster than any could imagine. So many big budget films are taking this Summer its freaky.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #196 of 292 Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I still am having a hard time believing this is my second favorite film of the summer (Man of Steel being an easy #1). Everything else has disappointed me.

Next Tuesday I'll see PACIFIC RIM and hope to be impressed by a film that is now looking to be a huge financial disaster for Legendary Pictures (tracking is abysmal, despite positive reviews). Lucas and Spielberg's prediction is coming true far faster than any could imagine. So many big budget films are taking this Summer its freaky.

don't recall lucas/speilberg prediction.

can you elaborate?

neflixis our nemesis
post #197 of 292 Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

don't recall lucas/speilberg prediction.

Lucas and Speilberg predicted that several big budgeted movies failing in quick succession (like five or six) could lead to a drastic situation in Hollywood. With the recent emphasis on franchise-based properties and bloated budgeted films, it's not a farfetched scenario.

So after several blockbusters crash and burn, one or more major studios could go out of business, most small/medium budget films will be released online or on television and not in the theater. The studios that survive would adopt a "Broadway" approach to the movies that actually make it into theaters, where the ticket prices go up dramatically, fewer films overall, and they stay in the theater for longer periods.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/13/lucas-and-spielberg-predict-massive-implosion-of-hollywood-caused-by-tech-industry/

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #198 of 292 Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Lucas and Speilberg predicted that several big budgeted movies failing in quick succession (like five or six) could lead to a drastic situation in Hollywood. With the recent emphasis on franchise-based properties and bloated budgeted films, it's not a farfetched scenario.

So after several blockbusters crash and burn, one or more major studios could go out of business, most small/medium budget films will be released online or on television and not in the theater. The studios that survive would adopt a "Broadway" approach to the movies that actually make it into theaters, where the ticket prices go up dramatically, fewer films overall, and they stay in the theater for longer periods.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/13/lucas-and-spielberg-predict-massive-implosion-of-hollywood-caused-by-tech-industry/
Frankly, I would love to order movies on opening day and downloaded to my HT (with BD quality AV), while avoiding sh!tty theaters with their sh!tty food and coughing, farting, talking morons in seats near me.

post #199 of 292 Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Frankly, I would love to order movies on opening day and downloaded to my HT (with BD quality AV), while avoiding sh!tty theaters with their sh!tty food and coughing, farting, talking morons in seats near me.

The thing is, most films will become like the made for TV variety. Fairly low budget, maybe the writing is good, but mostly shot on the cheap. The theaters will get all the big budget stuff (all test marketed to hell and back.) If you want to see Avengers 5, you'll have to trek out to the theater for its four to six month run before they release it at home, and pay at least twice as much as you do now.

There won't be much, if any, middle ground.

post #200 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The thing is, most films will become like the made for TV variety. Fairly low budget, maybe the writing is good, but mostly shot on the cheap. The theaters will get all the big budget stuff (all test marketed to hell and back.)

There won't be much, if any, middle ground.
Gee, thanx for that uplifting thought....I think I'll have another scotch.eek.gif

post #201 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Gee, thanx for that uplifting thought....I think I'll have another scotch.eek.gif

Sorry. frown.gif

Speilberg and Lucas aren't the only ones who think this, BTW. It's been a scenario kicking around the industry for some time.

post #202 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry. frown.gif

Speilberg and Lucas aren't the only ones who think this, BTW. It's been a scenario kicking around the industry for some time.
The interesting thing is these super-expensive CGI blockbusters continue to cost more and are released more frequently.

Kinda reminds me of the Wall Street crooks with their self-induced mortgage crisis.
Leverage?
What's that?

Debt?
What's that?

What, me worry?
rolleyes.gif

post #203 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, this is a very near possibility. Disneys dropping a 100 million+ bomb each year. Sony is doing 2 this year.

I don't think there are too many releases at one time, just the studios having no clue as to how to evaluate the quality and potential public approval for these cinematic productions

I know it can't be the easiest thing' but some of these release that have bombed, to me, were quite predictable. Never should have been funded.

Also the Weinstein model would seem to be exempt from this prediction. Backing high qualtiy, well written and acted, low budget films has made them one of the more successful studios of late.

neflixis our nemesis
post #204 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Wow, this is a very near possibility. Disneys dropping a 100 million+ bomb each year. Sony is doing 2 this year.

Disney had already forgotten the John Carter fiasco with The Avengers... They will forget The Lone Ranger with Iron Man 3 and Monsters University, two huge hits for them this year. Sony will lose much more than them I think.
post #205 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Why are people picking on John Carter? I realize it's not a cinematic giant nor the cash cow Disney was hoping for. But at last count Box Office Mojo has JC with $282 million worldwide with a production cost of $250 million. I know there are advertising costs and so on which cut into the profits but then Disney is also pulling in revenues from video sales, etc. So yes it lost Disney money but it's not the bomb some people make it out to be. I have it in my Blu-ray collection whereas I'll never rent or buy The Lone Ranger.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #206 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Why are people picking on John Carter? I realize it's not a cinematic giant nor the cash cow Disney was hoping for. But at last count Box Office Mojo has JC with $282 million worldwide with a production cost of $250 million. I know there are advertising costs and so on which cut into the profits but then Disney is also pulling in revenues from video sales, etc. So yes it lost Disney money but it's not the bomb some people make it out to be. I have it in my Blu-ray collection whereas I'll never rent or buy The Lone Ranger.

I bought JC when I first got my blu ray player and it didn't even occur to me to check if it made money at the box office or not because I just don't pay attention to that type of thing. I just thought it would look cool on blu ray and my grand kids might like it when they come to visit. Anyway, it was worth the money and I'm glad I have it in my library but I'm still uncertain about The Lone Ranger.

Al
post #207 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I was thinking of that prediction when reading about how bad the Lone Ranger is. As for Pacific Rim, I'm disappointed to hear it's tracking poorly. I have high hopes for that film and want it to not only be good but do well at the box office.
post #208 of 292 Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

I was thinking of that prediction when reading about how bad the Lone Ranger is. As for Pacific Rim, I'm disappointed to hear it's tracking poorly. I have high hopes for that film and want it to not only be good but do well at the box office.
"They" said the same thing about WWZ and MOS.
Let's see what things look like in a couple of weeks....

post #209 of 292 Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
John Carter was entertaining. I didn't connect very well with the JC actor (I don't even remember his name), but I have seen a lot worse movies draw better box office. Some movies just suffer based on bad timing or studio neglect in marketing.
post #210 of 292 Old 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

no comments on whether the weinstein model is more sustainable than the studios investing hundreds of millions on these speculative over the top cinematic efforts?

neflixis our nemesis
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , World War Z Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page