Where to Rent Original Bollywood Movies in US - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having a hard time renting original Bollywood movies. The local stores in my town only rent Pirated movies.
I've tried desicompany.com and indianmovieclub.com as they claimed that they rent original movies. When I got the DVD's they were copies of the movie shrunk on a single layer DVD. I emailed them with no response.

I'm a Netflix subscriber but it takes a long time for Netflix to get the newest movies and most of the time they do not carry all the titles that I want to watch.

I've a dedicated HT setup at my home with 122" screen. The pirated movies look crap and you cannot even see the face and the sound is distorted.

The world is moving towards High Definition and seems like Bollywood is moving backwards.I'm surprised nobody has raided all these online stores for piracy.

I buy most of the movies I think are worth buying but I cannot buy each and every movie.

Is there any other viable option to rent Original Bollywood movies???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikarshad View Post

Is there any other viable option to rent Original Bollywood movies???

Try http://www.zdag.com/

-Bill
post #3 of 31 Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Try http://www.zdag.com/

-Bill

Bill thanks for the suggestion but have you actually tried them.
Zdag did not state that they carry original movies as a result I'm hesitant and I had the same experience with indianmovieclub.com.

All of them claim that they rent original movie but the reality is different.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Bill thanks for the suggestion but have you actually tried them.
Zdag did not state that they carry original movies as a result I'm hesitant and I had the same experience with indianmovieclub.com.

All of them claim that they rent original movie but the reality is different.

I've rented US movies and mp3-cd audiobooks and they look original to me. I can only suggest you try them once. It's not much commitment.

-Bill
post #5 of 31 Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Retailers of East Indian DVDs, VCDs, and/or music located ... :

..In the U.S (I think). Cannot vouch for all of these but here are some you can check out.

http://www.anytamil.com/ "Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam DVDs, CDs, VCDs." (Site indicates addresses in the U.S. & India)

http://www.desino1.com/DVD/

http://www.indiancdstore.com/dvdstore.asp

http://www.indiaplaza.com/dvd/

http://www.indiaweekly.com

http://www.nehaflix.com/ (Based in Virginia)

http://www.bollywooddvds.com/

http://www.hindimovies.com/

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #6 of 31 Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Retailers of East Indian DVDs, VCDs, and/or music located ... :

..In the U.S (I think). Cannot vouch for all of these but here are some you can check out.

http://www.anytamil.com/ "Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam DVDs, CDs, VCDs." (Site indicates addresses in the U.S. & India)

http://www.desino1.com/DVD/

http://www.indiancdstore.com/dvdstore.asp

http://www.indiaplaza.com/dvd/

http://www.indiaweekly.com

http://www.nehaflix.com/ (Based in Virginia)

http://www.bollywooddvds.com/

http://www.hindimovies.com/

I guess I'll have to try each of them and figure out what works out best.
My main requirement is the movies should be original release and if that is meet then i can handle the rest.

For now I've start with ZDag.com that Bill has suggested. Let's see how it turns out.

I'll try to post my impression as i try them.

Thanks for the responses.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You might try your local library. Ours has a handful of Bollywood films and the Phoenix metro area doesn't even have a large Indian population.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-08-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I also believe blockbuster online and netflix have a good collection of Indian movies in their foreign section. Netflix has the larger and much better collection than Blockbuster though.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #9 of 31 Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

I also believe blockbuster online and netflix have a good collection of Indian movies in their foreign section. Netflix has the larger and much better collection than Blockbuster though.

Yes Netflix does have good collection but not all especially they are slow on the new releases. They take about several months to get those movies.
Take for example "Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na" is released on DVD but Netflix does not have it. This movie was a big Bollywood blockbuster movie.
If Netflix had them I would been very very happy but unfortunately it isn't.
Thanks for the tip though.

I'll try out membership at different rental sites and post my impressions if i like any.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've rented US movies and mp3-cd audiobooks and they look original to me. I can only suggest you try them once. It's not much commitment.

-Bill

I got my 1st shipment of DVD from ZDag and to my surprise the movies are original DVD release and not copied movies.
I'm very happy with their service and I've upgraded my membership to a better rental plan.
They seem to carry all the newest Bollywood movie titles that Netflix takes months to add to their collection.
I'm a happy camper and I would recommend their service if somebody is looking to rent Indian movies.

I really want to thank Bill for his suggestion as I had spent months looking for it.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I got my 1st shipment of DVD from ZDag and to my surprise the movies are original DVD release and not copied movies.
I'm very happy with their service and I've upgraded my membership to a better rental plan.
They seem to carry all the newest Bollywood movie titles that Netflix takes months to add to their collection.
I'm a happy camper and I would recommend their service if somebody is looking to rent Indian movies.

I really want to thank Bill for his suggestion as I had spent months looking for it.

Very good! I've been happy with Zdag as a supplement to Netflix. The price is right. My only criticism is that on US titles and mp3-cd audiobooks, they list a lot of things in their catalog which they don't actually seem to have.

I haven't tried Bollywood titles from them.

Perhaps you can help me. I started a thread on this months ago but the responses were not quite what I wanted.

My wife wants more romantic comedies and I thought India might be a good source. We saw Monsoon Wedding and Bride and Prejudice and liked them well enough. Singing and dancing is optional with us, but I understand it comes with the genre.

Do you have recommendations? Must be light, funny, happy ending.

-Bill
post #12 of 31 Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Very good! I've been happy with Zdag as a supplement to Netflix. The price is right. My only criticism is that on US titles and mp3-cd audiobooks, they list a lot of things in their catalog which they don't actually seem to have.

I haven't tried Bollywood titles from them.

Perhaps you can help me. I started a thread on this months ago but the responses were not quite what I wanted.

My wife wants more romantic comedies and I thought India might be a good source. We saw Monsoon Wedding and Bride and Prejudice and liked them well enough. Singing and dancing is optional with us, but I understand it comes with the genre.

Do you have recommendations? Must be light, funny, happy ending.

-Bill

Try these ones to begin with, these are all romantic comedy. If you like them i can suggest you more. Enjoy
"Salaam Naamaste" (2005)
"Jab We Met" (2007)
"Chup Chup Ke"(2006)
"No Entry" (2005)
"Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" (1998)
"Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" (1995)
post #13 of 31 Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Try these ones to begin with, these are all romantic comedy. If you like them i can suggest you more. Enjoy
"Salaam Naamaste" (2005)
"Jab We Met" (2007)
"Chup Chup Ke"(2006)
"No Entry" (2005)
"Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" (1998)
"Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" (1995)

Thank you! Will do.

-Bill
post #14 of 31 Old 12-14-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've been using ZDag since beginning of this year and I've been very happy with their service.
Unfortunately i received email saying they are shutting down their store.
I'm again looking for an online Hindi movie rental store.

Can somebody please help?
post #15 of 31 Old 12-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Liked: 10
I have seen one Bollywood movie and its Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. I saw on some cable network. It was the weirdest and coolest thing I have ever seen. Not sure if I liked it but I couldnt stop watching it. I think its a huge movie in India. Basically Boy meets girl (in london) girl hates boy but then falls for him while lost in Europe. There is nothing really original about the premise but when they wind up in India, it goes crazy (in a great way)

The only other Bollywood movie I have seen is really an American mini series called Bollywood Hero with Chris Kattan from SNL. The reviews werent that great but it was enjoyable and it mixed the humor of Mr. Kattan and Bollywood. I enjoyed it
post #16 of 31 Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I've been using ZDag since beginning of this year and I've been very happy with their service.
Unfortunately i received email saying they are shutting down their store.
I'm again looking for an online Hindi movie rental store.

Can somebody please help?

I got that message, too. It was a good service and I'll miss them.

We've been working through your list of titles from earlier in the year and enjoying them.

-Bill
post #17 of 31 Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Good news
After searching for over many years. Finally I found this website that rents original Hindi and Indian Bollywood movies.
NjMtv
The icing on the cake is that they rent Blu-Ray as well.

The customer service is top-notch.
When i opened the monthly rental account i got a personal call from the owner(Girish). He is one of the nicest guys i've talked to.
I got my movie in 3 days.
Once you watch the movie you go on website and indicate that you shipped the movie and they will ship next available movie in the queue.
This is great for people leaving far to save transit time.

Give it a shot.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM

hi
I've been having to buy bollywood DvDs 'coz i couldn't anywhere to rent it from..i should be saying "oh thank you so much for all the links and information" but the weird thing is now i like it this way..buying the stuff..a fine collection i own now..and i'd rather continue this way now than having to give it back after watching a movie..

Now on to the best part- Lufthansa airlines st started a "Salaam Bollywood" contest today..a chance to win round-trip tickets to India if you can answer some bollywood questions..I'm not allowed to post links here..
it's "doubleU-doubleU-doubleU.lhsalaambollywoodDOTcom/
post #19 of 31 Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I've always been able to rent Bollywood movies at Indian grocers around here. But then there is a large Indian community in the Bay Area. However many of the films coming out of India the last few years have been pretty dismal. The better ones I've been able to catch on Netflix though it's a little easier to skip the "dancing around trees" chapters (which add nothing to the story) on a DVD than on Netflix. That'll reduce that 2 hour 50 minute epic to 90 to 100 minutes.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Liked: 12
I am in the same boat. I've a 92" HT setup and can't find original new indian (hindi/tamil/telugu) DVDs. All the ones that are distributed "freely" in local indian stores are pirated ones. They all look crap on big screen. I dont want to buy new discs either. At the rate I see the movies (2 every weekend), I'll be spending a fortune. Alas! what a state that my cheap indian community has led us to.

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I found njmtv. So far, service looks great. All original discs including Blurays. Fast shipping and returns. Great customer service. I hope and wish they thrive and last long.

BTW, dancing around the trees is the best part of indian movies. You'll have to watch a bluray on a 100" screen with 5.1 sound in full blast though - not on teeny meeny tv and its tin speakers. You just can't get that kind of music, color and picturization in Hollywood movies. If not for that, there is no need to watch Indian movies. 99% of the plots are same and mostly crap. They are so stereo type, I usually forget the plot the next day.
post #21 of 31 Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'm very happy with Njmtv service. When they don't have the movie i want i send a request and they get it.
I wish they survive long enough in this era of streaming. Watching streaming is not at par with watching Blu-Ray. The Audio and visual is so much better with BD that it blows away the streaming. I watched Singham rented from Njmtv and i was blown away by the visual quality of this BD. The bit rate topped 45mpbs the highest i've seen of any Blu-ray that includes hollywood movies.
i compared some of the Blu-Ray i own with Netlfix streaming of YashRaj movie. The quality is like 720p and not 1080p and the audio sucks in Stereo vs DTS HD-Master.
We need to support Njmtv.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM

yeah, I agree streaming is not quite 1080p yet. Altho Netflix streaming video looks ok on my PJ, audio sucks. It sounds more like 2.0 instead of 5.1. Besides, you got to have reliable cable service which is a problem in my case.

Another problem with streaming is, there aren't all the latest hindi/tamil/telugu movies available on Netflix. I don't foresee their availability in the near future. They just don't have the customer volume to stock indian regional language movies or it may just be a drop in the bucket for them.

For now, njmtv it is. Some ppl were asking the same question on Yahoo answers. I'll try to post other places too to publicize njmtv in our own interest.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM

BTW, streaming is not the reason why we can't find original indian discs for rent these days. It's the rampant open piracy. Every desi guy knows where to download pirated movies off internet and they are quite proud of that to boast off to friends. And every indian grocery store buys one copy of the original (or downloads from internet) and freely distributes a stripped down copy (DVD9 -> DVD5) to anyone who buys $25/$50 grocery.
I don't know if and when it'll change. And I don't know why Indian DVD rights owners aren't cracking them down either. Not worth the fight ?
post #24 of 31 Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirip View Post

BTW, streaming is not the reason why we can't find original indian discs for rent these days. It's the rampant open piracy. Every desi guy knows where to download pirated movies off internet and they are quite proud of that to boast off to friends. And every indian grocery store buys one copy of the original (or downloads from internet) and freely distributes a stripped down copy (DVD9 -> DVD5) to anyone who buys $25/$50 grocery.
I don't know if and when it'll change. And I don't know why Indian DVD rights owners aren't cracking them down either. Not worth the fight ?

I concur with you. I once threatened a online website about pirated DVDs they rented out. They insisted its original and i could easily make out it was single layer DVD. They think consumers are stupid and don't know any difference.
I also wonder why these pirated shops are not cracked down.
They are loosing some much of business.

Well at least for now we have Njmtv to rely on.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 PM

there is some more resources where you can find the one alternate idea to fix the pirated and start renting movies
post #26 of 31 Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikarshad View Post

I guess I'll have to try each of them and figure out what works out best.

My main requirement is the movies should be original release and if that is meet then i can handle the rest.

For now I've start with ZDag.com that Bill has suggested. Let's see how it turns out.

I'll try to post my impression as i try them.

Thanks for the responses.

Out of this list, who are fast credible, and can send u bluray too?
post #27 of 31 Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've been a member of Njmtv for more than a year and have been very happy with their service.
What i like most about their service is that they have a good collection of Hindi Blu-Ray movies and they get the movies as soon as its release.
Also if you don't see a movie listed you can request it and they try their best to get it for you.
Give it a try.
post #28 of 31 Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Yes, there is a viable option. You may visit www.kwality.biz (kwalityfoods1@hotmail.com) or call them they have a lot of new-old dvd's in orginal form.
If not they will try their best to get them ASAP....You may call them as well at 909-391-6766. I have seen most of the ones in the blogs below from them and have even bought some from them. One of the greatest selections of DVD's.. they are in Ontario in CA. just 1/4 block off the 60 fwy.....great place....
post #29 of 31 Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Out of this list, who are fast credible, and can send u bluray too?
Njmtv has been fast enough for me. I'm in MN and I usually get movies every week. They mail out movies in a reasonable amount of time once you update the shipped status online.
They have great collection of Blu-Ray movies.
post #30 of 31 Old 03-31-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I want to update my recent experience with Njmtv.

The service has deteriorated now. Most of the movies that I want to rent are "out of stock" .
Also they have made it harder to add movie to rental queue. You need to check daily if movie is in stock to add it to rental queue.

I complained and the response was
"If you are not happy with the service please cancel your subscription.
This is creating lot of un necessary work for couple of dollars profit."eek.gif

I checked Keisara but they only serve 30 states and does not list which states they serve. They did not even respond to my email.

I'm back searching for an online Bollywood rental website.

Can anybody suggest any online place to rent Bollywood Blu-Ray movies?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion