'the deep' in anamorphic widescreen ? And any news 'bout 'the abyss'? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone know if this title is available in the u.s. in anamorphic w/s? i've been doing searches for it but-nada.

i read a review by 'dvdauthority' that said the dvd is pan and scan on one side and anamorphic w/s on the other. are they in the u.s.?

i have in my hot little hands a n'flix rental of 'the deep' and it's 4x3 p&s with no other options.

anyone got any news about 'the abyss' in blu ray or anamorphic w/s?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I haven't heard anything on the Abyss one of my favorites for sure. It's hard to believe that Fox never found a time to release this properly with or without Cameron.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #3 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

anyone know if this title is available in the u.s. in anamorphic w/s? i've been doing searches for it but-nada.

i read a review by 'dvdauthority' that said the dvd is pan and scan on one side and anamorphic w/s on the other. are they in the u.s.?

i have in my hot little hands a n'flix rental of 'the deep' and its 4x3 with no other options.

According to this: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5743 the original R1 release had both anamorphic widescreen and 4:3 P&S, but the rerelease is P&S only.

I hate it when they do that. Same story for HARD TIMES (1975), Walter Hill's first film with Charles Bronson and James Coburn.

Used disc sellers often don't know which version they have and you may get either from Netflix.

Quote:

anyone got any news about 'the abyss' in blu ray or anamorphic w/s?

World-wide lack of joy here: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=21

I've heard no Blu-ray rumors. Nothing here: http://www.releaselists.com/index.html

-Bill
post #4 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks guys.
post #5 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"The Abyss" deserves a fine bD, including the theatrical and extended cuts. Fox will likely put one out near the release of "Avatar." As for "The Deep," I remember seeing that via rental from NF in anamorphic widescreen; guess they re-released it in crap-o-vision... (So long as they zoomed in to the right part of the screen during the one scene that "defined" that movie!)

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #6 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 AM

Be content, I’m content with (The Abyss 1989) region 2, non-anamorphic, theatrical version is always played in six-track Dolby stereo or 4.1 since the surrounds are monaural and playing the same signal on both sides.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

Be content, I’m content with The Abyss non-anamorphic, theatrical version is always played in six-track Dolby stereo or 4.1 since the surrounds are monaural and playing the same signal on both sides.

i, for one, cannot be 'content' with the letterboxed w/s version of 'the abyss' (or 'the deep') when i know that fox could be re-mastering, or whatever, it for a bd or anamorphic sd re-release if they wanted to or enough folks let them know we want them to.

i may have to live with the letterbox version but i shall never be 'content' with it.
post #8 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:

i, for one, cannot be 'content' with the letterboxed w/s version of 'the abyss' (or 'the deep') when i know that fox could be re-mastering, or whatever, it for a bd or anamorphic sd re-release if they wanted to or enough folks let them know we want them to.

i may have to live with the letterbox version but i shall never be 'content' with it.

Well what can I say? Stalk a Fox executive, and stick some dog crap in his letterbox and note saying (I personally what anamorphic 16:9 or I’ll continue to shove dog crap though your letterbox).

I’m pleased with the version its ten times better than that dreadfully PAL laserdisc version I once had, what was that strange noise on one of the Lt Rt tracks?

I bet they read the forums and bet they just like milking, for their rich ass snobby lifestyles.
post #9 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
There's only been 1 Region 1 release of The Deep. The back of the box claims widescreen and foolscreen formats. Netflix says foolscreen. I don't know where the site that Bill referenced found 2 R1 releases. And, then again, I guess I can't completely trust http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=1548 which is the only release listed. They do list all the releases for a disc for other titles.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #10 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

There's only been 1 Region 1 release of The Deep. The back of the box claims widescreen and foolscreen formats. Netflix says foolscreen. I don't know where the site that Bill referenced found 2 R1 releases. And, then again, I guess I can't completely trust http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=1548 which is the only release listed. They do list all the releases for a disc for other titles.

larry

It's possible they reissued the disc in P&S only without changing the UPC or ASIN numbers. That would be evil, pure and simple, but it happens.

I haven't actually seen THE ABYSS recently so I don't have personal knowledge.

Aside: I did have the reissued P&S HARD TIMES (1975). The IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073092/dvd) lists only 1 R1 disc but I know there have been two. They list that one (1999) P&S but also double-sided and I think the widescreen version is on the flip side. Also noted here: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=6852

-Bill
post #11 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It's possible they reissued the disc in P&S only without changing the UPC or ASIN numbers. That would be evil, pure and simple, but it happens.

Aside: I did have the reissued P&S HARD TIMES (1975). The IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073092/dvd) lists only 1 R1 disc but I know there have been two. They list that one (1999) P&S but also double-sided and I think the widescreen version is on the flip side. Also noted here: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=6852

-Bill

They must have kept the same numbers. Even though the box says both, Amazon lists "full screen" and "1.33:1". There's an widescreen R2 available.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #12 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

They must have kept the same numbers. Even though the box says both, Amazon lists "full screen" and "1.33:1". There's an widescreen R2 available.

larry

i emailed 'dvdauthority' yesterday (from their site-so afaik, i couldnt save it or reply) cuz they had a review of 'the deep' that i found after googleing 'the deep anamorphic widescreen'. and i wanted to know where i could find a copy.

i didnt save the email reply but he (a mr. bligh ?) said they had found only one copy of the anam. w/s version in some store.

here's a link if it helps-
http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?reviewID=5913

from what the 'bligh' person said, the original anam. w/s was r1.

edit-assuming that there really was a r1 anam. w/s version released, you'd think there would be some used ones floating around for sale. maybe. i wish.
post #13 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Region 2 DVD was realised in 2001! 8 years of taking the piss with the paying fans, consumers.
post #14 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 AM

My copy of The Deep is anamorphic widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other.

Edit: Good info => http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5743
post #15 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe741 View Post

My copy of The Deep is anamorphic widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other.

Edit: Good info => http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5743

My dad took me to see The Deep at the cinema. It’s the guy from JAWS Quint (Robert Shaw) Romer Treece.
I’m not certain if this is anamorphic on region 2? I’ll keep an eye out for it, I know its monaural and that doesn’t bother me, like to see this one again.

Oh, according to the imdb a four-track version exists.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/

(Louis Gossett Jr) Henri Cloche (as Louis Gossett) didn’t he get eaten by that pike fish? I think this film was certificate A but it wasn’t as bad as Quint getting gobbled up by rubber shark.
post #16 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 AM

I just moused over the Amazon back cover photo that says "widescreen and full screen" and a little box popped up:

"Please note: most copies released contain ONLY a full screen version of the film, however some copies (bearing the same UPC #) contain BOTH widescreen and full screen version on a double-sided disc."

And there is a seller wanting $25 for a used widescreen version. Getting new R2 from Amazon.co.uk sellers is cheaper.

larry

post #17 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

My dad took me to see The Deep at the cinema. It's the guy from JAWS Quint (Robert Shaw) Romer Treece.
I'm not certain if this is anamorphic on region 2? I'll keep an eye out for it, I know its monaural and that doesn't bother me, like to see this one again.

Oh, according to the imdb a four-track version exists.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/

(Louis Gossett Jr) Henri Cloche (as Louis Gossett) didn't he get eaten by that pike fish? I think this film was certificate A but it wasn't as bad as Quint getting gobbled up by rubber shark.

Anyway, saw it when I was in high school and it's one of my favorite water movies. I've seen it in P&S and you just don't get the immensity of the deep as with the widescreen version.
post #18 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

called my local video rental store and asked the nice lady there if they had the movie and if she would go look to see if it had both w/s and p&s on it.
she did and it did.

so i hoofed it on down there and rented it and have it in my hot little hand as i type.
actually, to be sure it's anamorphic, i'm playing it on my little portable w/s player.
and it is!

anamorphic 2.35x1! as advertised (somewhere).

and jacqueline bisset looks every bit as hot as they say she does!!

i'll play it on the onkyo hd805 and pj tonite or tomorrow nite.
post #19 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM

I have both DVD's and The Deep is anamorphic widescreen on side one and pan'n scan on side two. The audio is Dolby Surround. The Abyss is letterbox 4x3 and the audio is Dolby Digital 5.1.
post #20 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 View Post

I have both DVD's and The Deep is anamorphic widescreen on side one and pan'n scan on side two. The audio is Dolby Surround. The Abyss is letterbox 4x3 and the audio is Dolby Digital 5.1.

thank you!
post #21 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I bought late and got stuck with the fullscreen only of The Deep (why anyone would release a widescreen to then only release a fullscreen is beyond understanding).

But I scored on Hard Times and got the anamorphic widescreen version.
post #22 of 33 Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

I bought late and got stuck with the fullscreen only of The Deep (why anyone would release a widescreen to then only release a fullscreen is beyond understanding).

But I scored on Hard Times and got the anamorphic widescreen version.

yeah, i also cant figure out why they did a 4x3 release after a w/s one.

congrats on 'hard times'. i gotta get it someday as i havent seen it yet.
post #23 of 33 Old 02-12-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

yeah, i also cant figure out why they did a 4x3 release after a w/s one.

congrats on 'hard times'. i gotta get it someday as i havent seen it yet.

I think everyone has a film that they like so much they can play it anytime and never get tired of it. Hard Times is that film for me, I've probably seen it 10+ times and it never gets old.
post #24 of 33 Old 02-12-2009, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well! now that i've got the anamorphic w/s version of 'the deep', albeit a rental, it's time to move on to a blu ray or anamorphic w/s dvd of 'the abyss'.

this'll be a toughie!

and i hope not too long a wait...
post #25 of 33 Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

watched 'the deep', anamorphic wide screen dvd, last nite. pretty good movie, didn't get bored.

it looked good on my 108" screen but will definitely benefit from a good and proper transfer to hd/blu ray.
stereo audio.
post #26 of 33 Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:

watched 'the deep', anamorphic wide screen dvd, last nite. pretty good movie, didn't get bored.

it looked good on my 108" screen but will definitely benefit from a good and proper transfer to hd/blu ray.
stereo audio.

So it was in monaural I wonder if its on youtube in scope? I'll have look.

Oh, did you select Dolby stereo to redirect the monaural sound to the centre channel along with switching to sub bass extension for the Deep effect!
post #27 of 33 Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM

LOL 1 minute 23 seconds the “Psycho shower cue” as the pike fish comes on screen!
The Deep (1977) - Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQzTL2RZyY
post #28 of 33 Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it was in monaural I wonder if its on youtube in scope? I’ll have look.

Oh, did you select Dolby stereo to redirect the monaural sound to the centre channel along with switching to sub bass extension for the Deep effect!

my audio is only a 4.0 setup-analog 2 channel stereo left and right fronts, and left and right surround-that's it.
i know almost nothing about the different audio codecs. and dont much care, as long as i get surround when and where it belongs and it sounds good.

i thought i had it on dolby stereo but now that you mention it, i think it was a mono signal.
i dont remember noticing any seperation in the music, etc. not that i was really listening for it.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:

my audio is only a 4.0 setup-analog 2 channel stereo left and right fronts, and left and right surround-that's it.
i know almost nothing about the different audio codecs. and dont much care, as long as i get surround when and where it belongs and it sounds good.

i thought i had it on dolby stereo but now that you mention it, i think it was a mono signal.
i dont remember noticing any seperation in the music, etc. not that i was really listening for it.

Well stick it back in the DVD player and press Dolby stereo I use all the time with Dolby stereo 4:2:4 mixes and monaural mixes to keep the signal centralized. Dolby and dts six-track gets played in the usual manor.

Yeah run it with some sub bass guess it might have range down to 40Hz maybe less maybe 50Hz?

Youtube ultimately sucks The Deep 1977 isn't on there only a few clips and trailers. Yeah I remember the part where she gets pulled under the ship that scared me with the sodden pike fish.

I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for The Deep and that pike fish.

I used to do a bit beach casting many years ago. I can remember just barely how to rig the line and hook thread it up with rod and cast out with just a few milliseconds, before letting my finger off the line, otherwise if released too early the sodden weight takes the bate and hook the other way.

Yeah I was lousy at casting first absolutely pants, took me nearly an hour to get right. My cast out was poor only a few hundred yards. My old neighbour who taught me, well he was 25 years older then me and can cast a at least 500 yards or more wow. No wonder he got the big fish and I was getting all the smaller fish?
post #30 of 33 Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well stick it back in the DVD player and press Dolby stereo I use all the time with Dolby stereo 4:2:4 mixes and monaural mixes to keep the signal centralized. Dolby and dts six-track gets played in the usual manor.

Yeah run it with some sub bass guess it might have range down to 40Hz maybe less maybe 50Hz?

Youtube ultimately sucks The Deep 1977 isn't on there only a few clips and trailers. Yeah I remember the part where she gets pulled under the ship that scared me with the sodden pike fish.

I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for The Deep and that pike fish.

I used to do a bit beach casting many years ago. I can remember just barely how to rig the line and hook thread it up with rod and cast out with just a few milliseconds, before letting my finger off the line, otherwise if released too early the sodden weight takes the bate and hook the other way.

Yeah I was lousy at casting first absolutely pants, took me nearly an hour to get right. My cast out was poor only a few hundred yards. My old neighbour who taught me, well he was 25 years older then me and can cast a at least 500 yards or more wow. No wonder he got the big fish and I was getting all the smaller fish?

'the deep' was a rental from a local video store and i already returned it.

i've never been 'beach casting' or deep sea fishing. was hoping to do the latter before i die, someday.
seems like either one would be fun.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page