AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009...hobbittrilogy/
Interesting....Hobbit was never meant to be as deep as LOTR. Do we really need 3 movies for what essentially is a children's novel?

LMAO

Personally I think the work merits it. Why the lowly vision of The Hobbit?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Oh, I thought he was comparing formats that people would actually watch (isn't that what you said you were excited by?). So he wasn't trying to sell something called Showscan, only recommending filming at faster frame rates?

He was developing Showscan. The tests were to determine how fast he would set the frame rate which he wanted to increase from the antiquated 24. The tests showed that peoples emotions heightened as he advanced the frame rates. He choose 60 instead of 72 because the change from 60 to 72 was marginal in peoples reactions.

Quote:

Exactly. Would people be "more excited" by non-"helicopter" type shots in 48 fps?

Think . . continuity.

Quote:

Ok, then, do 70 mm, changing the one variable (frame rate), while maintaining the double blind conditions. Oh, and no emphasis on "helicopter" type shots.

That defeats the purpose of the tests. I don't care what process you use, shooting two people sitting at a table discussing the weather accomplishes nothing.

Quote:

The bottom line is that Showscan went nowhere, which is an indication that 48 fps per se (as you were so quick to emphasize) has hardly been a successful selling point.

Different processes and different costs involved. The cost of Showscan was 65mm @ 60 FPS production and 70mm @ 60 FPS prints along with modified projectors for presentation. - BIG expense. The cost of Digital 48 FPS 3D - very small increase in production cost (over 24 FPS 3D) and a software upgrade to those existing digital projectors that can handle 48 FPS 3D
post #363 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

That defeats the purpose of the tests. I don't care what process you use, shooting two people sitting at a table discussing the weather accomplishes nothing.

Then the conclusion would have to be that:

NO movie using Showscan can have ANY static scenes in it. ALL scenes must be kinetic, "helicopter" type shots, else (as you say), it "accomplishes nothing". Rather a significant limitation on moviemaking.

By the way, I think the (rather static) desert scene in Lawrence of Arabia where Omar Sharif makes his initial appearance is pretty spectacular without the use of 48 fps, but then again, David Lean filmed it without "raising the heart rate" as his primary goal.

Quote:

Different processes and different costs involved. The cost of Showscan was 65mm @ 60 FPS production and 70mm @ 60 FPS prints along with modified projectors for presentation. - BIG expense. The cost of Digital 48 FPS 3D - very small increase in production cost (over 24 FPS 3D) and a software upgrade to those existing digital projectors that can handle 48 FPS 3D

So the ONLY objection to Showscan was cost? I guess we'll see what happens with "low cost" 48 fps.
post #364 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I have an idea that's kind of out there, but what if they just didn't shoot it in 3D? Hmmm...

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #365 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Then the conclusion would have to be that:

NO movie using Showscan can have ANY static scenes in it. ALL scenes must be kinetic, "helicopter" type shots, else (as you say), it "accomplishes nothing". Rather a significant limitation on moviemaking.

LMAO! The idea was to heighten the audiences reactions . . . when approproiate. Not give them all heart attacks by a constant barrage of action scenes.

Quote:

By the way, I think the (rather static) desert scene in Lawrence of Arabia where Omar Sharif makes his initial appearance is pretty spectacular without the use of 48 fps, but then again, David Lean filmed it without "raising the heart rate" as his primary goal.

Funny you should mention that scene. Are you aware that they developed a very special lens just for that scene? They couldn't shoot it with existing lenses.

Quote:

So the ONLY objection to Showscan was cost? I guess we'll see what happens with "low cost" 48 fps.

Yes - when it came to theater owners implementing it.
post #366 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I have an idea that's kind of out there, but what if they just didn't shoot it in 3D? Hmmm...

Ohhhhh a 3D hater!

Psssst . . . THE HOBBITT is being shot in 3D. But there will be 2D presentations so you can sleep better now. No need to fret. Of course, if you want to see it in 48 FPS, then you will have to see it in 3D.
post #367 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
I hate 3D and am proud of it.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #368 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

And an awesome idea it is sir.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #369 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
without having seen any 48 fps media, i'll take a flyer and venture i'm going to love it. hey any tech that makes video material better viewing is alright with me.

i loved the 3d in avatar, loved growing up with those cinerama flicks, so if this is the latest greatest i'm all in.

i'm sure after color grading, fx, and a few tricks in processing the material a lot of the objections people voiced on the 10 minute flyer will be dissipated.

neflixis our nemesis
post #370 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So in all the interviews and previews that Jackson has made about his working on THER HOBBITT has he even mentioned a 24 FPS version of it? You can always make stuff up - but that doesn't substitue for the truth.

http://scifimafia.com/2012/04/peter-...-at-cinemacon/

See Jackson quote where he mentions that it converts well to 24fps. Doesn't mean he likes it per se, but he has mentioned it.
post #371 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

So in all the interviews and previews that Jackson has made about his working on THER HOBBITT has he even mentioned a 24 FPS version of it? You can always make stuff up - but that doesn't substitue for the truth.

Mention it? Didnt he show us the a 24fps version when the movie was unveiled?

I have no doubt that when people watch this you'll have a few that dont like it, while most will think it looks amazing. But heres the thing.. back in 2006 when I showed some friends the Godfather in trumotion they thought it was the greatest thing ever. Even bought new tvs shortly after. Fast forward to today and they hate it.
No doubt 48fps will wow, but will it last? who knows.
post #372 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem View Post

http://scifimafia.com/2012/04/peter-...-at-cinemacon/

See Jackson quote where he mentions that it converts well to 24fps. Doesn't mean he likes it per se, but he has mentioned it.

So he hasn't discussed his 24P version, as Movie Swede was alluding to - he just said 48 FPS converts well to 24.

Got it.
post #373 of 944 Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 PM

Liked: 12
Jackson responds to the negative reactions to the preview screening:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=58742
post #374 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Nobody is going to stop. This technology is going to keep evolving. At first it’s unusual because you’ve never seen a movie like this before

Peter forgets that alot of people have watched 50i/p drama for some time. Its really nothing new watching faster fps.

Quote:

A couple of the more negative commenters from CinemaCon said that in the Gollum and Bilbo scene [which took place later in the presentation] they didn’t mind it and got used to that. That was the same 48 frames the rest of the reel was. I just wonder if it they were getting into the dialogue, the characters and the story. That’s what happens in the movie. You settle into it.

Thats exactly the reason why we dont need 48fps in the first place. Once you drawn into the movie, technology can rest.
post #375 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Jackson responds to the negative reactions to the preview screening:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=58742

Uh Oh. I'm detecting the Lucas-like attitude I mentioned earlier.
post #376 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What's he going to do? Say, "Oh, ok. I will only release it at 24fps"

No, of course not. He's going to defend his decision and hope he makes a billion dollars.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #377 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

What's he going to do? Say, "Oh, ok. I will only release it at 24fps"

No, of course not. He's going to defend his decision and hope he makes a billion dollars.

That's true, but at least he could have said something like "don't worry, the finished film won't have a soap opera, videoish look to it. It'll look cinematic". Instead we get this "this is what I'm giving you. Get used to it" attitude.
post #378 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

That's true, but at least he could have said something like "don't worry, the finished film won't have a soap opera, videoish look to it. It'll look cinematic". Instead we get this "this is what I'm giving you. Get used to it" attitude.

Because in some people's viewpoint it will still look 'videoish', not in terms of colour grading look (or other techniques used in cinema), but in terms of motion. Not that that's a bad thing, it's probably the only frame of reference people have for highish frame rates. - ie. it will have more realistic/accurate motion.
post #379 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Peter forgets that alot of people have watched 50i/p drama for some time. Its really nothing new watching faster fps.

For movies it is, ie; those seen in a theater and not on a television. The last HFR movie (Hollywood production) was 1956's Around the World in Eighty Days shot and shown in 30 FPS Todd AO

Quote:

Thats exactly the reason why we dont need 48fps in the first place. Once you drawn into the movie, technology can rest.

The reason 48 FPS is needed, is to get people back into theaters. Show them something they can't see in their homes.
post #380 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason 48 FPS is needed, is to get people back into theaters.

I'd phrase it differently. It's a way to prop up a format (new and improved 3D!) that people are showing fading enthusiasm for.
post #381 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

For movies it is, ie; those seen in a theater and not on a television. The last HFR movie (Hollywood production) was 1956's Around the World in Eighty Days shot and shown in 30 FPS Todd AO

30fps is closer to 24 then 48. And just because it is in a theater do not make 48 fps look like its not 48. If I watch 720/50p in my hometheater does it look less videoish?

Quote:

The reason 48 FPS is needed, is to get people back into theaters. Show them something they can't see in their homes.

Making epic movies look like Fawlty Towers is not the answer.
post #382 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

30fps is closer to 24 then 48. And just because it is in a theater do not make 48 fps look like its not 48. If I watch 720/50p in my hometheater does it look less videoish?

Unknown - haven't seen a finished movie showing in 48 FPS 3D yet. Have you?

Quote:

Making epic movies look like Fawlty Towers is not the answer.

Peter Jackson and James Cameron disagree with you. Both are wildly successful movie makers . . who are you?
post #383 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I'd phrase it differently. It's a way to prop up a format (new and improved 3D!) that people are showing fading enthusiasm for.

LOL - and I would phrase THAT differently . . .

It's a way to improve the 3D format, which people will flock to if done right.
post #384 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL - and I would phrase THAT differently . . .

It's a way to improve the 3D format, which people will flock to if done right.

Which implies they're not flocking to it now.
post #385 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Peter Jackson Responds to 'Hobbit' Footage Critics, Explains 48-Frames Strategy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nemacon-317755
post #386 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Which implies they're not flocking to it now.

Depends how you interput the following:

post #387 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

As you said earlier, there are far too many variables involved to accept that as scientific "proof" that 3D is wildly popular.
post #388 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:

As you said earlier, there are far too many variables involved to accept that as scientific "proof" that 3D is wildly popular.

I don't ever remember saying 3D was "wildly popular."

But there is some proof of it's recent popularity, or at least success - that chart I posted. Of course, if you don't like 3D, then you will come up with all kinds of reasons to try to play it down. Just like you tried to do with Trumbull's frame rate testing procedure.
post #389 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:

I reached out to Steve Schklair of 3ality Technica for his thoughts on the subject as Peter Jackson is using their 3D rigs on his production.

Here's what Steve had to say:

"Every change in cinema technology has come with negative comments and naysayers. This includes the advent of color, sound, digital, and 3D. If you remember back to the early days of digital, there was a company selling a process that would artificially insert weave, grain, scratches and dirt into a pristine digital image so that it would have a “film look”. Motion artifacts in 2D are distracting, and in 3D they are especially distracting. Shooting HFR makes for better images and sharper less distracting pictures. Because it does not look like what people are used to, it comes with the same detractors as did color, sound, digital, and 3D. I agree with Peter Jackson in that you have to see an entire movie at 48 and not just a few minutes. When you become immersed in the story, the difference in look will become secondary to the story. Eventually, like all new technologies in our business, it will become the accepted norm. History shows that to always be true."

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2012/0...-can-only.html
post #390 of 944 Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I agree in that people don't like change. It's always the same. It takes time and ten minutes of cut up, incomplete footage will not do it. My Elite ups 24fps to 72fps and it looks fantastic. My girlfriend is one of those people who don't like change. When I showed her a blu ray for the first time, she thought it looked too clean and sharp. Unnatural, she once said. Two weeks of back and forth DVD to blu ray watching and she refuses to by anything but blu rays now (if she has the option between DVD and blu ray). It's all about the amount of time it takes for people to adjust. I adjust very quickly.

David Budo
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page