AVS Forum banner
60K views 943 replies 129 participants last post by  Franin 
#1 ·
 http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009...hobbittrilogy/
Quote:
For a few months now, we've all been wondering why there's been such a cloud of secrecy from Guillermo and PJ regarding progress on The Hobbit. Well, today we got wind of what could be the biggest story so far about this much anticipated film: a report that negotiations are under way for a third film!

Interesting....Hobbit was never meant to be as deep as LOTR. Do we really need 3 movies for what essentially is a children's novel?

#427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/21965179

Restrictions and possibilities.

So how would Ridley Scott have gotten the stroby effect in Gladiator and Black Hawk Down with 48p?

You can make 48p look exactly like 24p if you want to by repeating frames (and adding blur if needed). You can't go the other way. This is why Doug Trumbull is pushing the idea of "supersampling" at 120 fps and then post converting to whatever delivery medium you want.

#428 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR /forum/post/21964983

Did that. Never talked to anyone who saw the movie who believed he was "there". Did you really think that?

Not from the audience's prospective, though that might have been different if they had allowed Trumbull to use Showscan in the sequences instead of Super Panavision.

Quote:
But the case WILL go to trial, and a guilty verdict won't require unanimity.

And won't you be surprised when the verdict is innocent. That the pros will far outweigh the cons.

#429 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/21965013

were did I write 24p?
Filmreels are already running at duplicate frames.

Seeing as how all movies are shot at 24P, what else could you possibly be referring to?

Quote:
So? The problem here isnt the lack of frame.

So what, according to you, exactly is the problem?

Quote:
was showscan even first on this.

AFAIK it was. HFR = 48 and above. The two Todd AO 30 FPS features don't qualify as HFR.

Quote:
Yes, those BBC production were all praised for their fantastic sets the last 30 years.

So what is the problem? BTW, they show those in theaters or only on TV?

Quote:
the trick is to watch good movies. They use to come in 2d only.

Progress and technology march on. LOL - you really are a Luddite.

#430 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/21964593

HFR has been rejected before because of artistic reason. While economy was a factor in the beginning, studios could very well have implemented HFR if they wanted to 40 years ago.

But when you film inside a studio HFR is less forgiving when it comes to protecting the illusion that is film. Because every little detail that isnt right will be much more obvious.

What about TV? it costs more to shoot movies and shows on film rather than video yet thats what they chose.

#431 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson /forum/post/21964400

View this 30p capture full-frame on your monitor while panning your eyes to try to read the signs going by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdKVOASKOkc

Are you folks seriously trying to tell me that the even worse 24fps is something to be desired? And before you start arguing "shutter angle" remember that a large shutter angle masks the stroboscopic effect by increasing the motion blur in each frame, resulting in even less legibility.

Really, this is what people want? I don't think so.

The idea that people are "used" to this is just stupid, IMHO. It's something they put up with, not something they want. Give them a better option and the traditional "cinematic look" will soon be as popular as scratchy old analogue records.

Reality can look terrible. Because the reality is that youre watching actors on a set. If HFR takes us out of the 'fantasy' and into a 'set' then that isnt desirable at all.

"It looks too real" is definitely a valid complaint since the reality could mean movies will look more like behind the scenes footage. "Oh wow it looks like he's auditioning right in front me."

#433 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/21965951

That's what they used to choose. Most today are produced using digital and not film cameras.

That doesnt address my point. Why did people choose to spend more for 24fps rather than shoot in higher framerates. And its still the same case today. Why is HBO shooting game of thrones at such a luddite framerate when they can get one of these fancy HD cameras they use for shooting their live boxing matches? Good enough for pacquiao but not their shows?

My point is the technology excuse is bs. Its an artistic choice.. and so far it seems like the art isnt looking so good.

#434 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer /forum/post/21965963

That doesnt address my point. Why did people choose to spend more for 24fps rather than shoot in higher framerates. And its still the same case today. Why is HBO shooting game of thrones at such a luddite framerate when they can get one of these fancy HD cameras they use for shooting their live boxing matches? Good enough for pacquiao but not their shows?

My point is the technology excuse is bs. Its an artistic choice.. and so far it seems like the art isnt looking so good.

You missed the point entirely. 48 FPS 3D for projected cinema.

You are talking about Television production. Apples and Bricks

#435 ·
I hope theaters won't be charging extra for the 48fps showings of the Hobbit...is 48fps the new IMAX or 3D where it is just another excuse to raise prices?...I love IMAX (providing that the film was actually shot using IMAX cameras which only consists of 4 films- Dark Knight, T2: Revenge of the Fallen, MI: Ghost Protocol and the upcoming Dark Knight Rises)

#436 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/21961369

The last HFR movie (Hollywood production) was 1956's Around the World in Eighty Days shot and shown in 30 FPS Todd AO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/21965896

HFR = 48 and above. The two Todd AO 30 FPS features don't qualify as HFR.

Can't qualify 30 FPS Todd AO as HFR and simultaneously disqualify it as HFR.

#438 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/21966015

I hope theaters won't be charging extra for the 48fps showings of the Hobbit...is 48fps the new IMAX or 3D where it is just another excuse to raise prices?...I love IMAX (providing that the film was actually shot using IMAX cameras which only consists of 4 films- Dark Knight, T2: Revenge of the Fallen, MI: Ghost Protocol and the upcoming Dark Knight Rises)

At this time, 48 FPS is only being used for 3D and 3D has premium ticket prices.

#439 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/21965896

Filmreels are already running at duplicate frames.

Seeing as how all movies are shot at 24P, what else could you possibly be referring to?

That the end source was already running at HFR, so a switch wouldnt have been that of a challange if they really wanted to.

Quote:
So what, according to you, exactly is the problem?

That higher fps will not overcome the challange of making the movie not to look like behind the scenes footage.

Quote:
So what is the problem? BTW, they show those in theaters or only on TV?

That 24P mask inaccuries in the production especially studio shoots.

The more real the video get, the easier it is to detect that something is wrong. And in a studio, there is no shortage on things that are wrong.

#440 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson /forum/post/21965116

If he wants you to read it, then he'll accommodate that. But 24fps places a lot of restrictions on what he can and can't do in terms of moving subject matter.

But you shouldn't have to view a painting through (to use an analogy) a wire mesh that prevents you from getting a clear view of it.

Wrong analogy. A director often does not WANT you to have the clear view you seem to want. Hence, his choice of filters/film stock/lighting/frame rate etc get him the product he's trying to show you. There is no "mesh" in front of the image if, in fact, the image is what you are meant to see.

Quote:

I Higher frame rates remove constraints, they don't prevent a filmmaker from presenting the look and feel he wants.

Actually, empirical evidence thus far says you are wrong. If a director/cinematographer wants to produce a film-like look, as the VAST majority do, then higher frame rates work against this.

Digital video cinematography, like any video technology, has been capable of higher frame rates for many years. Yet when cinematographers began switching to digital cameras what did they choose to do in order to get the film-like look they wanted to achieve? That's right: lowered the frame rate

to match film!

When MovieSwede asked you how Ridley Scott would have achieved the strob effect on Gladiator using HFR, you replied:

Quote:

You are assuming, of course, that he actually wanted such an effect - as opposed to doing everything he could to minimize it (and still falling short).

Which indicates you are unaware that the action scenes in Gladiator were deliberately shot with a high shutter angle to produce the super clear but strobe-like effect - an effect that relies on the shorter sample rate of 24fps.

A HFR would not have resulted in that look - it would have produced smooth, HD-camera-like images instead.

Is there a way ultimately to produce this effect while shooting HFR (like maybe in post production)? Perhaps. But that doesn't alter the fact that Ridley Scott deliberately chose that effect for Gladiator scenes.

Cheers,

#442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/21966152

That the end source was already running at HFR, so a switch wouldnt have been that of a challange if they really wanted to.

It's not really asthough the end source was running at HFR, more like they're simply flashing the same image on the screen 2 or 3 times (depending on the projector shutter). You're still seeing one second of time sliced up into 24 samples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/21966395

Is there a way ultimately to produce this effect while shooting HFR (like maybe in post production)? Perhaps. But that doesn't alter the fact that Ridley Scott deliberately chose that effect for Gladiator scenes.

That effect also worked well in Saving Private Ryan. One way to get that effect on a HFR production is to shoot at, say, half the frame rate and use short shutter speeds. So if you're shooting at 60fps, then dial the speed down to 30fps and set the shutter speed to 1/125th or 1/250th of a second. You'll avoid the smoother motion of the 60fps footage AND get almost no blur due to the fast shutter speed (instead of the typical 360 degree shutter with digital).

#443 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/21966866

That effect also worked well in Saving Private Ryan. One way to get that effect on a HFR production is to shoot at, say, half the frame rate and use short shutter speeds. So if you're shooting at 60fps, then dial the speed down to 30fps and set the shutter speed to 1/125th or 1/250th of a second. You'll avoid the smoother motion of the 60fps footage AND get almost no blur due to the fast shutter speed (instead of the typical 360 degree shutter with digital).

But basicly, that is the same as what they are doing with filmcameras. Since filmcameras isnt locked at 24fps. 48fps digital can of course be used as good as a 24fps camera in production.

But my orginal point I was trying to make, was that the look of Gladiator etc wasnt a technical limitation, but a creative descision by the filmmakers. They wanted that effect. They didnt want natural motion.

#444 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/21966966

But basicly, that is the same as what they are doing with filmcameras. Since filmcameras isnt locked at 24fps. 48fps digital can of course be used as good as a 24fps camera in production.

Sure, everything from frame rate to shutter speed can be adjusted similarly when shooting in either medium. I was just pointing out that even though you might see 48 or 72 flashes per second on the screen when watching a movie, you're still seeing only 24 "samples" per second, which is different from HFR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/21966966

But my orginal point I was trying to make, was that the look of Gladiator etc wasnt a technical limitation, but a creative descision by the filmmakers. They wanted that effect. They didnt want natural motion.

No disagreement there, since what you were stating was pretty obvious.

#445 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/21967073

I was just pointing out that even though you might see 48 or 72 flashes per second on the screen when watching a movie, you're still seeing only 24 "samples" per second, which is different from HFR.

Yes im very aware that 24 frames is the actual framerate. I was more talking about the scenario if they wanted to create a HFR format 40 years ago, it wouldnt need much hardware change.

That other reason then technical/economical prevented HFR to form.

#446 ·
I'm not going to argue with, or insult those who will always prefer 24fps. However, higher framerates will win out in the end. Younger people, and not so young like myself, are adjusting to the "more real" look that FI brings to the table.

I have shown everyone who watches movies in my theatre room what the difference is with FI implemented, and without. They all have prefered at least the lower setting to remove the judder, etc.

Those that claim the makeup and sets become more obvious must be watching poorly produced material then. Film still has grain, and whatever other changes were done to affect the "look". Adding FI, or increasing framerate doesn't alter that. If I can see it is a matte painting, or poorly composited, with FI...I can see the same thing without.

I believe 3D will benefit the most from HFR. My PJ allows FI to be on during 3D (unlike most), and it makes a huge difference in the presentation. There is less eye fatigue as well.

The best thing, for those who prefer 24fps, is that 'The Hobbit' won't be available in HFR in the home for the foreseeable future.

#447 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/21967354

I have shown everyone who watches movies in my theatre room what the difference is with FI implemented, and without. They all have prefered at least the lower setting to remove the judder, etc.

Judder is a motion artifact, where every other frame is flashed on screen for 50% longer than adjacent frames, resulting in a jerkiness that doesn't appear when watching 24fps movies in a theatre. Have you tried displaying movies on your projector at a frame rate that is a multiple of 24? This way, you can compare native to FI without introducing an additional variable (judder).

#449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/21967443

Judder is a motion artifact, where every other frame is flashed on screen for 50% longer than adjacent frames, resulting in a jerkiness that doesn't appear when watching 24fps movies in a theatre. Have you tried displaying movies on your projector at a frame rate that is a multiple of 24? This way, you can compare native to FI without introducing an additional variable (judder).

There is telecine-related judder, and then there is inherent film judder. Having a correct pull-down does not remove native film judder (which is a result of the low sample rate of 24fps film, and certain movements of the camera in relationship to the subject tend to exacerbate it - see the dreaded "picket fence" effect).

So, yes, judder is still there in the movie theater. Experienced film cinematographers try to minimize it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.