Robocop to be remade! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 398 Old 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I was trying ot talk you OUT of it. tongue.gif

Wabo, I don't see how a PG13 Robocop can have replay value, but I plan to view this and then the original on the same weekend soon.

The remake is not a bad film, even with its PG13 rating...
Morpheo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 398 Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Just watched it. Thought it was awesome. Yeah, it had issues but nothing like reviews lead me to believe. A great blind buy for me, especially at the $13 price.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #363 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Just watched it. Thought it was awesome. Yeah, it had issues but nothing like reviews lead me to believe. A great blind buy for me, especially at the $13 price.
Great, now I feel good about buying.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #364 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I was trying ot talk you OUT of it. tongue.gif

Wabo, I don't see how a PG13 Robocop can have replay value, but I plan to view this and then the original on the same weekend soon. Haven't seen the full thing since I saw at original release, so will be an interesting comparison - my memory of the original, meeting the bluray release today, meeting the PG13 version.

A PG13 Robo has Kurtwood rolling over in his grave. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And he's not dead yet. biggrin.gif



Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Just watched it. Thought it was awesome. Yeah, it had issues but nothing like reviews lead me to believe. A great blind buy for me, especially at the $13 price.

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Great, now I feel good about buying.

You just couldn't wait for the other farm animals.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #365 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
The comparisons to the '87 version is what hurts this one. It's impossible to see this as a stand alone film. I'm by no means saying it's without logic problems or some wooden acting here and there, but as a whole it worked good for me. Had the '87 movie never happened, and this one was the first time we'd seen anything called Robocop, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see much more glowing reviews and forums lit up with nerds discussing the tech behind such an event, the moral implications, etc. Instead, it's being blasted for not having the piercing social commentary of the original and for not being R rated. Which I've always thought was a curious thing. I wonder what people would think of movies they watch if they had no MPAA rating to prejudge them by.

I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's opinion of this one. I'm clearly in the minority here. But I do think it's gotten somewhat of a raw deal because it's not more like the original. Which I also find curious. People bitch about remakes/reboots and Hollywood not being more original, yet when a new version is made and it's not like the first one...it's a bad thing.

Some dislikes:

The score
Seems to be a lot of good, flow-inducing footage lying on the floor somewhere

So for me, I liked it and am looking forward to another viewing. The a/v quality didn't hurt either *.

* For some reason my projector started playing it at 480p. I was looking at the screen slack jawed. Mortified at the atrocity presented before me, so I pulled up the display to see the resolution. Had to go in and set it from auto to 1080p. Never had to do that before. I can say this much: When you go for two years or so without viewing any SD material on a projector, then suddenly see something at 480, it's a shock.
Morpheo likes this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #366 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Whoa, this isn't the vBulletin I remember. Will take some time getting used to. With that said, you guys are bad influences. Went to BBY and bought Robo today. The DVD was $20 and the blu/DVD combo pack was $13.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #367 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 PM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Whoa, this isn't the vBulletin I remember. Will take some time getting used to. With that said, you guys are bad influences. Went to BBY and bought Robo today. The DVD was $20 and the blu/DVD combo pack was $13.
Quite different on vbulletin. Good score on the blu ray
Franin is online now  
post #368 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Member
 
bombertodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just watched it today. The violence/gore was a little lacking, but I really enjoyed the movie.

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

bombertodd is offline  
post #369 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

You just couldn't wait for the other farm animals.
Would you?




Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

* For some reason my projector started playing it at 480p. I was looking at the screen slack jawed. Mortified at the atrocity presented before me, so I pulled up the display to see the resolution. Had to go in and set it from auto to 1080p. Never had to do that before. I can say this much: When you go for two years or so without viewing any SD material on a projector, then suddenly see something at 480, it's a shock.
Are you sure you hadn't been messing with your PJ prior?
Maybe during a black-out?
I've done some strange sh_t late at nite sometimes....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #370 of 398 Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So, saw it yesterday. And I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad and I liked alot about the different themes that was incorporated into the story. And it was cool that he was manufactured in China (Great SciFi show us more of todays world then the future). But it fails on the movie magic scale.

The music doesn't enhance the emotions at all.

It doesn't have a villain that challenge our hero enough.

To much screen time is wasted on redundant scenes. We don't need two major shootouts for the character.

Interesting themes like the soul were never explored. The frewill factor of the program got reduced to Robocop on drugs.
MovieSwede is offline  
post #371 of 398 Old 06-12-2014, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Quite different on vbulletin. Good score on the blu ray
Way different and goofy. What's wrong with the traditional vBulletin? I miss it so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Would you?
Yes.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #372 of 398 Old 06-12-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
On some brighter news, I watched the new Robo tonight.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas

Last edited by Waboman; 06-12-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Waboman is online now  
post #373 of 398 Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
So, saw it yesterday. And I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad and I liked alot about the different themes that was incorporated into the story. And it was cool that he was manufactured in China (Great SciFi show us more of todays world then the future). But it fails on the movie magic scale.

The music doesn't enhance the emotions at all.

It doesn't have a villain that challenge our hero enough.

To much screen time is wasted on redundant scenes. We don't need two major shootouts for the character.

Interesting themes like the soul were never explored. The frewill factor of the program got reduced to Robocop on drugs.
Apparently I liked it much more than you, but your points echo mine. Music, in my opinion, was awful...and I've seen more scary people bag my groceries than the villain here.

However, I didn't find the shootouts to be a waste. And your comment about the story not exploring the soul, while it was kinda implied I think, was a missed opportunity. Which goes back to my thoughts that there's a lot of good material on the cutting room floor.

One thing that gripes me, and this part is hard for me to not compare to the '87 movie, because it was a rather iconic part:

Spoiler!

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.


Last edited by sb1; 06-12-2014 at 06:42 AM.
sb1 is offline  
post #374 of 398 Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I went in with lowered expectations and found myself enjoying this. I could watch a whole movie of Robo just walking around. Those footsteps sounded great.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #375 of 398 Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Those footsteps sounded great.
Yeah, that actually surprised me when he first stepped off his lily pad.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #376 of 398 Old 06-12-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Just watched it. Thought it was awesome. Yeah, it had issues but nothing like reviews lead me to believe. A great blind buy for me, especially at the $13 price.
Ha, I knew you would like it...

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #377 of 398 Old 06-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,318
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Wabo, Cabo, SB1.....how is the audio? Might blind buy

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #378 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Wabo, Cabo, SB1.....how is the audio? Might blind buy
It's certainly not Cloverfield, but it has some decent LFE and an overall "clean" track...meaning it's nice and dynamic, but with nothing really standing out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I never caught myself wishing for something else from the track.

I enjoyed watching the movie and enjoyed the sound while doing so, so it must have been pretty good since I'm usually picking apart the audio. At $13, I'm completely happy with my blind buy from a home theater experience standpoint, if nothing else (but I also liked the movie).
Toe and darthrsg like this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #379 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I went in with lowered expectations and found myself enjoying this. I could watch a whole movie of Robo just walking around. Those footsteps sounded great.
Maybe they'll do a sequel and get out from under the shadow of the original. It did go some interesting places but I missed the gratuitous violence and a better big bad villain. I'd almost rather they just made Robocop 4 since enough time has passed to do some upgrades on the tech side.
bombertodd likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #380 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 07:59 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
but I missed the gratuitous violence and a better big bad villain.
Man...I don't even know if the villain here qualifies as a bad guy. He was so weakly portrayed that his existence and subsequent fall (hardly a spoiler given Hollywood's formula for movies) seemed like an afterthought. Easily a problem in the film for me. Can't have a great hero without a good bad guy. That's one part of the formula that actually works. Another area that it's hard for me to not go back to the original on: Clarence Boddiker...that was a bad guy.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #381 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Man...I don't even know if the villain here qualifies as a bad guy. He was so weakly portrayed that his existence and subsequent fall (hardly a spoiler given Hollywood's formula for movies) seemed like an afterthought. Easily a problem in the film for me. Can't have a great hero without a good bad guy. That's one part of the formula that actually works. Another area that it's hard for me to not go back to the original on: Clarence Boddiker...that was a bad guy.
Indeed, BUT for modern audiences an evil corporation plays right into the narrative.
Mr. Hanky likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #382 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Indeed, BUT for modern audiences an evil corporation plays right into the narrative.
True, of course, but I should probably clarify....My post was speaking about the guy responsible for Murphy's condition. Not Keaton. The evil corp thing was done ok I thought, and Keaton did well enough, but that other guy just didn't do it for me.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #383 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
True, of course, but I should probably clarify....My post was speaking about the guy responsible for Murphy's condition. Not Keaton. The evil corp thing was done ok I thought, and Keaton did well enough, but that other guy just didn't do it for me.
Agree. Like many modern movies the villains aren't that bad and they even try to get sympathy. A recent example was the Carrie remake. In the original those bullies got what they deserved and you had no wiggle room to excuse the bullies. In the remake they put several PC walls around them excusing the behavior.
darthrsg is offline  
post #384 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Wabo, Cabo, SB1.....how is the audio? Might blind buy
It's not bad. Clean and dynamic with good use of surrounds. It's not reference but also not bad for $13. I'd buy that for a dollar, well, 13 to be exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
It's certainly not Cloverfield, but it has some decent LFE and an overall "clean" track...meaning it's nice and dynamic, but with nothing really standing out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I never caught myself wishing for something else from the track.

I enjoyed watching the movie and enjoyed the sound while doing so, so it must have been pretty good since I'm usually picking apart the audio. At $13, I'm completely happy with my blind buy from a home theater experience standpoint, if nothing else (but I also liked the movie).
That about sums it up for me too.
Toe likes this.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #385 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Maybe they'll do a sequel and get out from under the shadow of the original. It did go some interesting places but I missed the gratuitous violence and a better big bad villain. I'd almost rather they just made Robocop 4 since enough time has passed to do some upgrades on the tech side.
I completely agree. The villain or lack thereof, hurt this movie more than anything else. Even Donald Pleasance as Blofeld was more menacing. But I digress, I still enjoyed it. Probably not as much as sb1, but who did?

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #386 of 398 Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Probably not as much as sb1, but who did?
No one. I made this movie. It's mine, you hear me? I'll defend it to the end. Your opinion is invalid. I'm the master. Sho'nuff.
darthrsg likes this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #387 of 398 Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Probably not as much as sb1, but who did?
No one. I made this movie. It's mine, you hear me? I'll defend it to the end. Your opinion is invalid. I'm the master. Sho'nuff.
OH YEAH, you're The Master alright.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #388 of 398 Old 06-17-2014, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Watched tonite and was impressed.

This is one of the few reboots/remakes I have seen that is valid.
"Valid" from the POV of doing something distinctly different.
Not a photocopy, with a new approach to the story.
It really didn't remind me much of the classic original (and that is a good thing).

Sure, there are some eye-rolling moments, but it wasn't enough to keep me from enjoying the ride.

The biggest weakness is the lead....he just isn't a good enough actor or have enough on-screen charisma for the role.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #389 of 398 Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
seggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I watched this recently and it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be on here. It isn't the original, but it never pretended to be. Still, a bit more gore wouldn't have gone a miss (except for its rating) and what was up with that hand....


Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
seggers is offline  
post #390 of 398 Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
The biggest weakness is the lead....he just isn't a good enough actor or have enough on-screen charisma for the role.
The actor is Joel Kinnaman. I suppose it helps to have a history of watching him act in other films or shows. My first acquaintance with Kinnaman was in the TV series The Killing seasons 1 and 2. Plus I've seen him in smaller parts in many other films plus the lead in Easy Money (very good) and its sequels Easy Money: Hard to Kill and Easy Money: Life Deluxe (which I haven't seen yet).

So the draw for me in seeing Robocop was how he would handle the part. And I think he did well with the little he was given.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off