Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it was a good movie. Development of plot was very engaging, at least to me. I've seen better twists and surprises in other movies (i.e. Minority Report) but this one was still decent.
Towards the end, I'm wondering, how does
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Sam get by 3 days in space suit while being shipped to earth? I didn't realize those things are designed to carry enough supplies (oxygen and water?) to last 3 days.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

I thought it was a good movie. Development of plot was very engaging, at least to me. I've seen better twists and surprises in other movies (i.e. Minority Report) but this one was still decent.
Towards the end, I'm wondering, how does
Spoiler  
Sam get by 3 days in space suit while being shipped to earth? I didn't realize those things are designed to carry enough supplies (oxygen and water?) to last 3 days.

Spoiler  
I thought he loaded it with a few supplies. I seem to remember him putting stuff in there at one point.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ Pretty sure he did.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

^ Pretty sure he did.

To me, it looked like
Spoiler  
a bag (orange color?). Who knows, maybe it's packed with pictures and what's left of those models "he" was building.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:36 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

To me, it looked like
Spoiler  
a bag (orange color?). Who knows, maybe it's packed with pictures and what's left of those models "he" was building.

Well, I meant he took something. No idea what was in it, though, since it's never shown. We're going to watch it with some friends tonight, so I'll look again.

Stephen.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Oh well, watched it again, the music in the Adverts for another program was from Moon, and so it was calling me to watch it again. Anyway..

Spoiler  
There were a few spare tanks in the compartment. The 3 year limit was so that Clones didn't overlap with the next worker. The girl at the beginning, where he burns his hand I think was the daughter.

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Theres a good short film on the Blu-Ray disk, by the same director, and its good in the same kind of way.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

In the real world we know how this operation would be run, it would be similar to the International Space Station, with stays of 9 months to 18 months, with a team of people to keep each other from going nuts. The costs would absolutely be inconsequential for a massive energy company.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I never could figure out
Spoiler  
.I thought this story was to take place on the dark side of the moon?

come on guys. There is no "dark side of the moon" - only the "Far Side of the Moon", the moon rotates once every revolution around the Earth - 28 days or so. 14 days the near side is in the sun and 14 days the far side is in the sun.

geez.

As for too many stars shown - not so that was the coolest thing in the movie. with no atmosphere there is no light scatter, so even with the sun up on the moon there would be a buttload of stars - a universe full of em to look at. just like they show in the movie.

only reason we don't see stars on the old moon shots is because the video resolution and camera light sensitivity was too poor to show them.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
OK...how about the side of the moon NOT currently lit?

But wouldn't that be the side that is dark?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

So you are saying that massive corporations don't try to cut costs that have minimal impact to their bottom lines? And now you're comparing it to the ISS and putting teams of people up there? So, don't cut costs with clones, add to costs with more humans?

First thing that comes to my mind is something as petty as office supplies. Box of paperclips does nothing to my company's bottom line, but doesn't mean their not sticklers about ordering more.

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying. I've never had a pen or paperclip order questioned at work, wouldnt that be a false economy? And it would be reckless to have 1 person run a critical base that's 400,000 KM from earth, redundancy is the hallmark of any operational system I've ever seen. Maybe you and I live on different planets
Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post

only reason we don't see stars on the old moon shots is because the video resolution and camera light sensitivity was too poor to show them.

Were you able to compare them to moon shots taken by more recently installed cameras?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Some of you people - BloodPie you listening? - need to remember spoiler tags, especially in this movie. I'm tired of adding tags, I just deleted a bunch of posts with spoilers.

I watched the BD yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good job. I thought that possibly the ending could have been improved a little to make a better impact, but that's just a nit.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I watched the BD yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good job. I thought that possibly the ending could have been improved a little to make a better impact, but that's just a nit.

I saw Moon in the theater and liked it but when I watched the BD last week I liked it even better than I had earlier. I agree that the ending could have done with clearer storytelling. I missed some of its impact the first time. Sam Rockwell was sensational but, overall, I thought the film was almost too quiet and subtle for its own good. For that reason, I suspect that anyone who liked it in the theater would like it better if they saw it again.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 AM

it was kind of nice movie adventure for all
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I saw Moon in the theater and liked it but when I watched the BD last week I liked it even better than I had earlier. I agree that the ending could have done with clearer storytelling. I missed some of its impact the first time. Sam Rockwell was sensational but, overall, I thought the film was almost too quiet and subtle for its own good. For that reason, I suspect that anyone who liked it in the theater would like it better if they saw it again.

I don't know if I could watch it again or not, knowing how things turn out. I do agree Rockwell did a great job.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I don't know if I could watch it again or not, knowing how things turn out. I do agree Rockwell did a great job.

larry

I felt that way before I watched it, but after seeing it I had to watch it a couple more times. Of course, the movie just wasn't the same on subsequent viewings, but I still enjoyed the story and the job that Rockwell did even after knowing how it would all turn out.

Part of my eagerness to watch it repeated times was due to the simple fact that I don't know when we'll get another quality sci-fi movie like this that doesn't require lasers and explosions....thought maybe I better enjoy this one while I can.

Stephen.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 PM

Just saw this tonight finally.. excellent, excellent film. Thoroughly entertaining, outstanding score and cinematography, and of course Rockwell was pitch perfect. I also thought..

Spoiler  
..that the fact that it was clones and wasnt shy about it was great. I see many people here complaining about that and wishing it was something "deeper" or had been psychological which imo would've been a disaster. How many space psychological thrillers are there? Many. I love the fact that this film hinted and teased at it, but then the veil goes away for good. I would've hated it if this masterpiece had turned into yet another guy in space going crazy seeing things type film.

I strongly urge everyone here with questions and thoughts about the film to see the director's Q&A session with the Science Group (20 min HD extra). It offers a lot of great insight on the plot and answers many questions I've seen posed here (specifically about the science, the financial benefit of this work process, the 3 year lifespan, etc).

Anyway.. powerful, meaningful film. Highly recommended purchase.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I did not like Moon and I did not like The Burning Plain, both movies with unpleasant, depressing story lines. Some movies seem to be produced for masochists. If you have allot of bad things happen in a movie, you had better make it a action-adventure flick with a real hero to solve the problems. Moon was just a downer with a weak ending.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I did not like Moon and I did not like The Burning Plain, both movies with unpleasant, depressing story lines. Some movies seem to be produced for masochists. If you have allot of bad things happen in a movie, you had better make it a action-adventure flick with a real hero to solve the problems. Moon was just a downer with a weak ending.

I liked Moon well enough when I saw it in the theater. Then, after I watched it again on BD, I loved it. It is a very subtly told story, perhaps too subtly told. I learned some important things from seeing it again on BD that I had missed the first time, particularly in the closing scenes. As a result of that added understanding, I thought Moon was more inspirational than depressing.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not like Moon and I did not like The Burning Plain, both movies with unpleasant, depressing story lines. Some movies seem to be produced for masochists.

For some people, movies like this offer a welcome change from the normal Hollywood fluff. The equation isn't written as A+B=C, but rather A+B+?=C. The question mark represents the chance for interpretation, which is what far too few movies allow for these days. But then, movies like this aren't for everyone.
Quote:

If you have allot of bad things happen in a movie, you had better make it a action-adventure flick with a real hero to solve the problems.

In my opinion, we have way too many of those to choose from now. Movies like Moon offer something different for the crowd who has had their fill of the normal offerings from money hungry directors and studio execs.

Stephen.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

For some people, movies like this offer a welcome change from the normal Hollywood fluff. The equation isn't written as A+B=C, but rather A+B+?=C. The question mark represents the chance for interpretation, which is what far too few movies allow for these days. But then, movies like this aren't for everyone. In my opinion, we have way too many of those to choose from now. Movies like Moon offer something different for the crowd who has had their fill of the normal offerings from money hungry directors and studio execs.

Count me in as part of that crowd. I'm sick of movies where a "real hero" (who can fall from a 20-story building with no more than scratch) can solve all the problems. Regrettably, in life, problems are not solved so easily and neatly. Don't get me wrong, I like a nonsensical action flick as much as anyone...but sometimes I like some meat with my potatoes. Movies like MOON, TRIANGLE, THE MACHINIST, etc., offer more than the formulaic norm and they certainly get my support (or at least my money).
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked Up in the Air allot, even though it had no hero and there was allot of nasty things happening in the movie. It had good writing and somehow made a failed romance, failed comedy, and failed drama work. Moon and The Burning Plain were both too dull to keep me interested, and with such depressing subjects and no one character to really like in the script, why bother watching?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Moon and The Burning Plain were both too dull to keep me interested, and with such depressing subjects and no one character to really like in the script, why bother watching?

Not every movie is likable to everyone. Diversity is a good thing. Imagine a world full of monotony.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agree View Post

Not every movie is likable to everyone. Diversity is a good thing. Imagine a world full of monotony.

I fully agree, but I still wish to warn people what they are getting into when they rent or buy these movies.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

Moon and The Burning Plain were both too dull to keep me interested, and with such depressing subjects and no one character to really like in the script, why bother watching?

People have different definitions of "dull" and "depressing." While I respect your opinion, I didn't find it dull or depressing at all. Heck, I find most action-adventure movies where you know the hero will win in the end dull as dirt. I seriously cannot watch most of them anymore.

And I'm not sure why Moon was "depressing,"
Spoiler  
as he (or part of him) did get back to Earth in the end. And the clone that died did so for the other clone to return.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

And I'm not sure why Moon was "depressing,"
Spoiler  
as he (or part of him) did get back to Earth in the end. And the clone that died did so for the other clone to return.

Yeah, that was what I was referring to in my earlier post. I didn't pickup on the significance of all of that until I saw it the second time.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I fully agree, but I still wish to warn people what they are getting into when they rent or buy these movies.

That's what movie reviews are for and they are available online. I check them before renting or buying. Another thing people can do is to know who the director is. For example, I am very cautious about Michael Bay's work.

By the way, who is that forum member named agree? He copied my reply.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

I liked the fact that "clones" were shown as people.

not some mutant monster B.S.

afterall an identical twin (been around since forever) is a clone of his brother/sister. a full human, not a half human nor a monster.

I appreciated the humanity of the film in this regard alot.

- no I'm not a twin LOL.

I had a best friend (or would that be a 1/2 friend ;-).......) who was (is still (I hope) assume).