Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Fixed it!

You can thank me latter

LOL!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2394 Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Agree with Lee, part 4 was the real turd next to the Predator vs. Alien films.
Alien 3 also has some of the more interesting documentaries of the series, about what the film is going to be, and what actually being end up eventually. It was quiet a trip, and kudos to Fox, to let the truth out, even though the studio looks bad here.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #453 of 2394 Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

kudos to fox, to let the truth out, even though the studio looks bad here.

+1.
post #454 of 2394 Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
post #455 of 2394 Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So they retained Geiger after all. However on that photo, they don't look as big as it was in Alien.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #456 of 2394 Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alien 3 also has some of the more interesting documentaries of the series, about what the film is going to be, and what actually being end up eventually. It was quiet a trip, and kudos to Fox, to let the truth out, even though the studio looks bad here.

Revisiting 3 this week. Running the commentary this time around made me concentrate on the lighting & camera work. The film looks amazing. Unfortunate at the end where the puppet shots suffer from neglect or being rushed.
post #457 of 2394 Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So they retained Geiger after all. However on that photo, they don't look as big as it was in Alien.

It's a promo shot. All the beings that might wear the suit are the same size? We don't have enough info. Statues on pedestals?
Pre Sumerian Egyptian God stuff
post #458 of 2394 Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Quote:

On the subject of collaborating with H.R. Giger, Scott said,

…yeah, I brought him in, I showed him what we were doing, showed him the story and he liked it a lot. So he’s doing a little bit of work for me. He’s been doing some murals, big murals, which we’ll see in almost one of the first chambers we encounter when we land where we’re gonna go.

http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scot...er-prometheus/
post #459 of 2394 Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's great to see Ridley including the artists. Giger of course, but never forget the others, like Foss & Giraud from the days of Métal Hurlant that inspired what would become the trappings of all the design in the sets for the series. Ron Cobb should be included. He had an eye on the same revolution in the era and was infected by the imagination of the guys across the pond.

It's funny to read some of the opinions on the other boards where Cameron is blamed for trashing the story. I agree for the most part. He used other peoples work and simplified the elements down to common, easily consumed references. Suddenly, the impossible to kill Alien was a short guy and easy to kill. We get a hive with a queen, just like ants so we can relate. Avatar proves the opinion on him with all the 18th century military BS and child friendly nick names that translate to multi-language without a hitch.

People are excited about the possibility of Ridley delivering something more. Everyone expects the visual to be 1st rate. Hopefully, there's more than meets the eye where it counts.

Tall Order in this day and age..
post #460 of 2394 Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Métal Hurlant

Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in awhile, great stuff, thanks for jogging this aging memory.
post #461 of 2394 Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in awhile, great stuff, thanks for jogging this aging memory.

Yes Indeed - In the second year of the US reprints, there was a 4 or 5 issue feature on the making of Alien, complete with set pics and reports on the shoot. In fact, there was a specific report on the guts and blood used in the chestburster scene.

People reading the series were really primed for the film. Wish I still had my Nostromo ball cap It was an exact replica of the one worn by Harry Dean Stanton, and being sold right in the mag before the film release.
post #462 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Wish I still had my Nostromo ball cap It was an exact replica of the one worn by Harry Dean Stanton, and being sold right in the mag before the film release.

Oh my God, I had one of those caps! I totally forgot about that until you mentioned it!

And I had a ton of the "making of" magazines that were everywhere before the film came out. I was totally stoked for it. I think that was the first R-rated movie my dad took me to see, and it ended up being one of his all-time favorites.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #463 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Still have my Nostromo cap, not in great condition, but still wearable.

Sanjay
post #464 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

I was totally stoked for it. I think that was the first R-rated movie my dad took me to see, and it ended up being one of his all-time favorites.

Opening day 4pm showing for me. A big theater with a very good sound system. Seated center of the room and no one within 10 feet of me in any direction. It was electric. Not a peep from anyone, no getting up and down. Just a small group being blown away by the film. Perfect Theater Experience
post #465 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Opening day 4pm showing for me. A big theater with a very good sound system. Seated center of the room and no one within 10 feet of me in any direction. It was electric. Not a peep from anyone, no getting up and down. Just a small group being blown away by the film. Perfect Theater Experience

7PM show - opening night. Theater is packed. Immediately after the "chest burster" scene, about a dozen people got up and left.
post #466 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

7PM show - opening night. Theater is packed. Immediately after the "chest burster" scene, about a dozen people got up and left.

it was NOT a date movie
post #467 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

Oh my God, I had one of those caps! I totally forgot about that until you mentioned it!

And I had a ton of the "making of" magazines that were everywhere before the film came out. I was totally stoked for it. I think that was the first R-rated movie my dad took me to see, and it ended up being one of his all-time favorites.

You Americans (I'm assuming) were lucky that an adult could take you to an R movie. In Canada R rated meant you simply couldn't see an R film if you were under 18, no ifs ands or buts.

Alien was my first R rated movie. Saw it when I was 16. It was hugely anticipated, with a loooong line up in front of one of the most grand and impressive theaters in the city (The University Theater), which had a massive screen and state of the art surround sound.

My friend and I were 16 years old. He was tall, I was a shrimp. The University theater looked like Fort Knox in terms of us trying to sneak in, so we said "What the hell, let's try to buy tickets" and joined the line up.

When it came to our turn to buy tickets we were greeted by a college-age looking girl in the ticket booth. She immediately adopted a skeptical, wry smile and asked my friend "How old are you?"

My Friend: 18.

She: When were you born?

My Friend: Uh...1962.

She: Wry smile. Gives him a ticket.

I was so nervous that before she even spoke to me I just blurted out "18."

She: what?

Me: Oh..uhm...I'm 18.

I just repeated what my friend said: 1962.

She paused, regarded me skeptically and, with that wry smile and gave me a ticket.

Utterly stoked we ran up to the balcony high fiving each other. Then we did the quick calculation and realised the year we gave made us only 16 or 17 years old! Obviously why she was smiling. Thank goodness for that compassionate ticket girl. Seeing Alien that night with a full house with a massive screen and the best surround sound I'd ever heard...and seeing this astonishing, scary and truly "alien" feeling movie, was probably the most memorable movie experience of my life.

The movie still holds up so well...

Rich H

post #468 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

You Americans (I'm assuming) were lucky that an adult could take you to an R movie.

We were lucky he could make an R rated film for first run. Now it's tween or nothing.
post #469 of 2394 Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You Americans (I'm assuming) were lucky that an adult could take you to an R movie. In Canada R rated meant you simply couldn't see an R film if you were under 18, no ifs ands or buts.

Alien was my first R rated movie. Saw it when I was 16. It was hugely anticipated, with a loooong line up in front of one of the most grand and impressive theaters in the city (The University Theater), which had a massive screen and state of the art surround sound.

My friend and I were 16 years old. He was tall, I was a shrimp. The University theater looked like Fort Knox in terms of us trying to sneak in, so we said "What the hell, let's try to buy tickets" and joined the line up.

When it came to our turn to buy tickets we were greeted by a college-age looking girl in the ticket booth. She immediately adopted a skeptical, wry smile and asked my friend "How old are you?"

She paused, regarded me skeptically and, with that wry smile and gave me a ticket.

Utterly stoked we ran up to the balcony high fiving each other. Then we did the quick calculation and realised the year we gave made us only 16 or 17 years old! Obviously why she was smiling. Thank goodness for that compassionate ticket girl. Seeing Alien that night with a full house with a massive screen and the best surround sound I'd ever heard...and seeing this astonishing, scary and truly "alien" feeling movie, was probably the most memorable movie experience of my life.

Great story...thanx for sharing.

post #470 of 2394 Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Great story!! Thanks for sharing!! Its great to think back to the "Memory Lane".

Quote:

B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62
PSA XV30Fse x2
DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, Emotiva XPA5, iNuke DSP1000
Projection: Panasonic PT-AE8000U / LED: Sharp 70" -Smart
HTPC: Lenovo q190 w/ Roku for chuckles
post #471 of 2394 Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
New trailer
http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1218942p1.html

post #472 of 2394 Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing new. Prometheus News has nothing new other than a brief Idris Elba interview. So far the actors have been quiet on any details.

The post pro must be down to very few people.
Hopefully Ridley has a very nasty R cut working. Who cares what he cuts for the pre-retarded American release?
post #473 of 2394 Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hopefully Ridley has a very nasty R cut working. Who cares what he cuts for the pre-retarded American release?

Eric, you're getting so cynical....

post #474 of 2394 Old 02-17-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Eric, you're getting so cynical....

Apologies o. Age and politics crush the soul from time to time. A fresh story would help
post #475 of 2394 Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, the waterfall shot! Why CG when the real deal is right here on earth
Thanks Ridley

http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/...ation-roundup/
post #476 of 2394 Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah, the waterfall shot! Why CG when the real deal is right here on earth
Thanks Ridley

http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/...ation-roundup/

Cool

post #477 of 2394 Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Viral video for the movie: (no spoilers)

http://blog.ted.com/TED2023/

Xbox handle: TheRotoman
post #478 of 2394 Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman View Post

The simple fact that Guy Pearce is in the film makes it more interesting. Nice "teaser"
post #479 of 2394 Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Weyland Industries site: https://www.weylandindustries.com/
post #480 of 2394 Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman View Post

I'm anticipating Prometheus with glee...

....but God that was tedious.

Rich H

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page