Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Must resist...must resist...must resist...

I know!

Lock this thread. Now!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Must resist...must resist...must resist...

jeez
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Everyone seems to get excited for this film hope it doesn't dissapoint.

Frank
Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

jeez

he he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Of all the upcoming movies, this one has generated the most buzz, the most excitement....God, I hope I haven't jinxed it!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm trying to keep my expectations low. I really want the movie to be good, but I honestly haven't cared much for anything Ridley Scott has made since Blade Runner. He's just not the same director he used to be.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'm trying to keep my expectations low. I really want the movie to be good, but I honestly haven't cared much for anything Ridley Scott has made since Blade Runner. He's just not the same director he used to be.

Agree.

I feel Alien was Scott's "Jaws." A perfect film where every element came together - incredible set design, incredible vision, cinematography, a great, tight story, perfect pace (builds gratifying mood, action intensifies just as it needs to), and at least as important: a cast that delivered pitch perfect performances, full of realism, nuance and believability. A Ridley Scott film with "real people," which tends to be a rarity. (And like Spielberg and Jaws, Alien was "back when Ridley had an edge.")

BladeRunner has been one of my favorite movies, like many here I've lost count how many times I watched it. But it doesn't have the perfection of Alien - it creaks at the seams with some of the things that would start to undo Scott's later work.

After becoming a frothing-at-them-mouth Ridley Scott fan after those two movies, he did little but disappoint film after film, following that. The typical problem with a Scott film was the thin, or wooden, or stock/unbelievable scripts and acting. You could see what they were going for, but it always rang cheesy or flat. Sometimes that made the gorgeous visuals for me almost annoying as in "You've done such a great job with the look of the movie, WHY can't you just deliver drama and characters that are moving or feel real along with it?"

The exceptions, for me at least, are the standard: Thelma and Louis, Gladiator...where suddenly Scott looks like an actor's director again. But outside of those, lots more movies with great visuals and incompetent drama.

This is one of the main ways I'm afraid Prometheus may disappoint: What looks in the trailer like some good actors with meaty parts may turn out, in long form, to be one-note characters that we don't really connect with. I hope not. It would be absolutely awesome if this movie ends up combining great production design with great acting. But the main body of Scott's work temper's my optimism.

That said: What seems like something we can bank on is the production design and visuals. Even IF the script disappoints, this type of movie can be carried more by the visuals than most other Scott films. That's because much of it is ABOUT the awe of what you are shown, not simply about characters, so the production design and cinematography isn't mere gloss on top of the drama (as in many Scott films).

The thing I get from the Prometheus trailers is a "Ridley's Back" feeling. There are a rare few visionaries who have "The Eye" - a visual sense of producing powerful, important-looking images where others give you unmemorable shot after shot.

At this point, what could be MORE ubiquitous than spaceships, aliens, other worlds? They are everywhere! And yet, I find virtually every such shot in the Prometheus trailers, just shots of spaceships floating near a planet or landing, filling me with awe! They give me the same feeling I had when watching the Alien visuals when it first came out. How the hell Scott can pull that off, still get such a "wow" out of such well-traveled ground, really amazes me. It is no doubt that "eye" he has for cinematography, but also that famous attention to detail, to those details that actually make these differences that the audience may be unaware of, and that other film-makers don't tend to give you. (One being he says he's always concerned with the way CGI tends to make people want to do too much, go to crazy, and he always wants a sense of anchored, believability to the production, hence lots of set building, rehearsals in the sets, practical FX etc).

Some of us fans were surprised by the clean look of the Prometheus production design, given the gritty, used look of Alien and Bladerunner. In a recent interview when Scott was asked about this change, he said basically "been there, done that." He said ever since he brought in "grunge" to the future, it's been done over and over ever since. So he decided to go to a cleaner look, with an emphasis on his love of industrial design. Once he said that, I "got it" and I'm totally cool with that direction. Can't wait to see what he came up with.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some of the interviews in the bonus features for Body of Lies (a thoroughly mediocre movie) helped to put the arc of Ridley Scott's career into focus for me. In them, he made several comments along the lines of that he likes to work quickly. He doesn't do a lot of takes or spend too long on complicated set-ups, because it's just a waste of his actors' time. He wants to get in, get it done, and get out.

Is this the same man whose obsessive perfectionism during the production of Blade Runner, where he'd spend whole days agonizing over every centimeter of every frame, even down to getting the lighting right on tiny details in the far background of shots, enraged Harrison Ford so badly that he swore he'd never work with Scott again?

IMO, the production troubles and box office failure of Legend broke something inside Ridley Scott. He hasn't been the same person since.

Josh Z

Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
No love for Black Hawk Down?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Josh, to me, his two best films are after Blade Runner. Gladiator and Blackhawk Down. Hands down his best work. My opinion.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Josh, to me, his two best films are after Blade Runner. Gladiator and Blackhawk Down. Hands down his best work. My opinion.

Not ALIEN?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
hell his body of work is as good as any director of his generation. i'd put him up there with speilberg and cameron or anyone else you want to throw out there.

so unless the 3d sucks, or the critics rip it, i will be at my local cineplex to take this in within a day or 2 of release.

please don't disappoint................

neflixis our nemesis
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

he he he

Of all the upcoming movies, this one has generated the most buzz, the most excitement....God, I hope I haven't jinxed it!

don't forget, don't we get the hobbit end of the year?

hunger games, prometheus, hobbit all in one year,

YES!!!!

neflixis our nemesis
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Agree.

The thing I get from the Prometheus trailers is a "Ridley's Back" feeling.

Most of us do. 12 to 18 months ago, the skeptics overpowered the conversation.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

A pdf of the Empire article. The Pnews scan was disjointed, so enjoy.

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/uplo...usiveStory.pdf
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, a pretty crappy resume....

Director
2010 Robin Hood
2008 Body of Lies
2007 American Gangster
2006 A Good Year
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2003 Matchstick Men
2001 Black Hawk Down
2001 Hannibal
2000 Gladiator
1997 G.I. Jane
1996 White Squall
1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise
1991 Thelma & Louise
1989 Black Rain
1987 Someone to Watch Over Me
1985 Legend
1982 Blade Runner
1979 Alien
1977 The Duellists

Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Some of the interviews in the bonus features for Body of Lies (a thoroughly mediocre movie) helped to put the arc of Ridley Scott's career into focus for me. In them, he made several comments along the lines of that he likes to work quickly. He doesn't do a lot of takes or spend too long on complicated set-ups, because it's just a waste of his actors' time. He wants to get in, get it done, and get out.

Is this the same man whose obsessive perfectionism during the production of Blade Runner, where he'd spend whole days agonizing over every centimeter of every frame, even down to getting the lighting right on tiny details in the far background of shots, enraged Harrison Ford so badly that he swore he'd never work with Scott again?

IMO, the production troubles and box office failure of Legend broke something inside Ridley Scott. He hasn't been the same person since.

Yes Josh, I was actually going to mention that too. When I heard Ridley talking of his faster method of shooting these days I had the same thoughts.
He still seems to sweat the production design, but his method of shooting has seemed less meticulous, more "cutty" and you get the feeling of multiple cameras covering a scene, and so you don't get the full sense of texture you do with something like Bladerunner or Alien.

Though it may be silly to analyze the Prometheus trailers too much, I do get the sense that Prometheus will be somewhat different. I think that the very demands of a big sci-fi film, the sets involved etc. demand a meticulous care...and the demands it places on pre-planning shots, and the way it will demand the camera tell the story...that will sort of bring back at least some of the Ridley-of-old style. That's what I'm getting from the trailer - the shots have that more planned out, still, meticulous, Alien-style look and movement, vs his earth-bound dramatic work.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I'm indifferent to Black Hawk Down. It's one of Scott's better post-Blade Runner movies, but it still feels shallow and music video-ish to me.

Gladiator is an enormous p.o.s., one of the most embarrassing "Best Picture" winners in Oscar history. I realize that I'm in a minority with that opinion, but when I saw it opening weekend, I was flabbergasted at how awful and shoddy a film it was. I swore it would be a massive bomb. I still don't understand what people see in it.

Quote:

Yeah, a pretty crappy resume....

Director
2010 Robin Hood
2008 Body of Lies
2007 American Gangster
2006 A Good Year
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2003 Matchstick Men
2001 Black Hawk Down
2001 Hannibal
2000 Gladiator
1997 G.I. Jane
1996 White Squall
1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise
1991 Thelma & Louise
1989 Black Rain
1987 Someone to Watch Over Me
1985 Legend
1982 Blade Runner
1979 Alien
1977 The Duellists

You really want me to go through this?

1985 Legend - I watched both versions of this recently. This is clearly Scott's falling-off point. The theatrical cut is pretty much unwatchable. While the Director's Cut is a huge improvement, the film is still deeply flawed. Cruise is awful in it. To call the script half-baked would be to give it too much credit. It's more like quarter-baked.

1987 Someone to Watch Over Me - Haven't seen this one in years, but I recall it as a silly and very workmanlike formula picture. Anyone could have directed it. There's nothing to distinguish this as the work of an auteur.

1989 Black Rain - Nice production design, but howlingly stupid script.

1991 Thelma & Louise - Never cared for its too-simplistic Butch & Sundance gender reversal.

1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise - A tedious slog.

1997 G.I. Jane - Another simplistic gender reversal. His brother Tony already made this movie better when it was called Top Gun (and Top Gun is plenty stupid already).

2000 Gladiator - As mentioned, hate it.
2001 Black Hawk Down - Already discussed.

2001 Hannibal - As a sequel to Silence of the Lambs, it's atrocious. As a standalone psycho thiller, it's overwrought and ridiculous.

2005 Kingdom of Heaven - Fair at best. Even the Director's Cut feels simplified and condensed. While clearly one of Scott's most ambitious productions, Orlando Bloom is terribly miscast and his role underwritten.

2007 American Gangster - Mediocre.

2008 Body of Lies - Mediocre.

Haven't seen the others. Haven't heard much good about any of them either.

Josh Z

Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Opinions are getting hot in here!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Gladiator is an enormous p.o.s., one of the most embarrassing "Best Picture" winners in Oscar history. I realize that I'm in a minority with that opinion, but when I saw it opening weekend, I was flabbergasted at how awful and shoddy a film it was. I swore it would be a massive bomb. I still don't understand what people see in it.

There are even people who think Dune is the best sci-fi movie ever made.................."it's a strange world"............

...just joking...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You really want me to go through this?

Thanx for your post.

FWIW, here is mine (I'll make it short and sweet with a 5-star system):
2010 Robin Hood = 4/5
2008 Body of Lies = 3/5
2007 American Gangster = 3/5
2006 A Good Year = Haven't seen
2005 Kingdom of Heaven = 4/5 (DC)
2003 Matchstick Men = 3/5
2001 Black Hawk Down = 5/5
2001 Hannibal = Haven't seen
2000 Gladiator = 4/5
1997 G.I. Jane = Haven't seen
1996 White Squall = Haven't seen
1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise = Haven't seen in 20 years (IIRC, a BD is coming and will buy and report back)
1991 Thelma & Louise = 3/5
1989 Black Rain = 2/5
1987 Someone to Watch Over Me = Haven't seen
1985 Legend = 4.5/5
1982 Blade Runner = 5/5
1979 Alien = 5/5
1977 The Duellists = 4/5

I could elaborate on the ratings I have given...if anyone wants me to.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

2008 Body of Lies - Mediocre.

I actually like that one. Mostly because of Crowe and DiCaprio fine performances.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
My biggest concern with this movie is that the story is going to be a sort of half-baked retread of Alien. Rep from Weyland-Yutani who is bad? Check. (I guess that's Aliens more than Alien, but still...) A robot who has a secret directive from the Company who turns out to be a baddie? Check. Or at least it seems that way from the trailers. I may be totally wrong about those story parts (I'm trying to keep myself spoiler-free), but that's certainly the way it feels in the trailers.
I also don't like some of the shot-for-shot beats from Alien that I've seen in the trailer, like the planet landing, the bridge, etc. I'm concerned there are a lot more of those that we haven't seen. It smacks of pandering to fanboys the way Lucas did with his shout-outs in the atrocious prequels. If he's going to tell a new story, make it a goddamn new story and tell it in it's own style.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and end up being pleasantly surprised, even bowled over. But I've been let down too much by RS to feel comfortable with exuberance over the stories he's telling. The visuals for Prometheus will, as usual, be stunning. I have no qualms there. But the script? Still skeptical.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, after checking with NF, I put Hannibal and GI Jane in my queue (just to be fair).
Unfortunately, NF doesn't have BDs of the other unseen titles (sorry, I just can't stomach DVDs anymore).

Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

My biggest concern with this movie is that the story is going to be a sort of half-baked retread of Alien. Rep from Weyland-Yutani who is bad? Check. (I guess that's Aliens more than Alien, but still...) A robot who has a secret directive from the Company who turns out to be a baddie? Check. Or at least it seems that way from the trailers. I may be totally wrong about those story parts (I'm trying to keep myself spoiler-free), but that's certainly the way it feels in the trailers.
I also don't like some of the shot-for-shot beats from Alien that I've seen in the trailer, like the planet landing, the bridge, etc. I'm concerned there are a lot more of those that we haven't seen. It smacks of pandering to fanboys the way Lucas did with his shout-outs in the atrocious prequels. If he's going to tell a new story, make it a goddamn new story and tell it in it's own style.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and end up being pleasantly surprised, even bowled over. But I've been let down too much by RS to feel comfortable with exuberance over the stories he's telling. The visuals for Prometheus will, as usual, be stunning. I have no qualms there. But the script? Still skeptical.

Skepticism is a good thing when it comes to prequels/sequels, etc....I'm with ya there.
It usually seems like a money-grab, but I'm hoping it's not the case here.

RS and JC have both had a steady chorus of fanboys (heck, I'm one of 'em) over the decades asking for more movies in the Alien Universe.
Why?
Because those 2 films are SPECIAL; they strike a chord with many sci-fi geeks.
Both have edge-of-your-seat thrills and chills absent from so much of the genre and both are extremely well-made from a technical POV.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not concerned with it being a re-tread of Alien since apparently that is precisely what Scott was avoiding. Rather, I'm concerned that Scott and his writer might be over-awed with the concept of the film, which seems to have been essentially leaked via the trailers and via interviews...a sort of "Oh my Gawd! ALIENS were behind human development!" If THAT is the big "mystery" at the heart of the film, it's just so worn out and unoriginal idea that I'm going to find it hard to find it a satisfying pay-off.

I only hope that the script ends up more clever than that.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

So, everyone is still concerned with the script?
Don't trust Ridley's remarks on how good it is?
Visuals not enough to sway anyone?

OK, me too
Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FAITH boys FAITH...

Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

i wouldn't bet against ridley on this one.

besides we get noomi!

neflixis our nemesis
Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I actually like that one. Mostly because of Crowe and DiCaprio fine performances.

Agreed! Love this one, especially DiCaprio's performance

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray