post #61 of 2394 Old 06-22-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

There's no way Fox is going to make an expensive movie like that and not have humans involved. They'll sooner make some ludicrous plot point to get humans into the picture than take a risk like that.

If they go the "Space Jockey" route (the dead pilot of the non-human ship in Alien), they'll probably do something like have that race be in competition with the Company to acquire an alien creature (or allied with them, or whatever.) If you look at Ash's behavior from the first film, it's pretty obvious that the Company knew a FAIR amount about it, even if you ignore any AvP influence.

Agreed on the first point, which is just a sad reality IMO.

Regarding the "space jockey" or any other alien creatures. The "company" surely knows more and there is no dispute of that, so if there was some kind of alliance or "space race" then they must have some sort of "elite force" that is not expendable like the marines in Aliens and have some super hi-tech ship as well? But then how come they failed? My head hurts with all these speculations.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2394 Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Fine, I can accept any or all of the above postulations in regard to intelligence of our Aliens...however:

How did the they get on the planet found in the first movie? This was obviously NOT their home world, as there was nothing indicating that they had anything to eat or use as a womb for their new broods before the terra-formers from Earth arrived.

We may perhaps assume that the giant ship found there was that of another, yet unseen species...but even then, that explanation only works if we assume that the Aliens were stowaways onboard that ship, having impregnated those travelers.

In Alien 1, there was an obvious shipwreck (from which a homing beacon was broadcasting) and aboard was what seemed to be a dead Navigator/Pilot (aka Space Jockey).
And on the ship were "eggs," that would have be laid by a Queen sometime in the past.
Were these eggs being transported or smuggled somewhere to be used in research...or as military weaponry?

Here is the evolutionary cycle of the "Alien":
1. Queen lies an egg
2. Egg hatches a "facehugger"
3. Facehugger impregnates (typically thru the throat) another life-form with an egg or embryo which grows to become a "chestburster"
4. Chestburster, after...uh...bursting, becomes a juvenile alien and is full grown very, VERY quickly

Quote:

There's no way Fox is going to make an expensive movie like that and not have humans involved. They'll sooner make some ludicrous plot point to get humans into the picture than take a risk like that.

If they go the "Space Jockey" route (the dead pilot of the non-human ship in Alien), they'll probably do something like have that race be in competition with the Company to acquire an alien creature (or allied with them, or whatever.) If you look at Ash's behavior from the first film, it's pretty obvious that the Company knew a FAIR amount about it, even if you ignore any AvP influence.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

The way I saw it, the Alien simply retired there because probably it was quiet due to the inactive circuits, and isolation. Having said that, how did opened the doors?

Hmmm...that would indicate a little bit of smarts IMO.

Quote:

But in any way I don't think it knew that it was escape pod.

Or DID it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

one of the Academy Award winners SFXers who worked on Aliens said that Aliens was one of the cheapest movies he had ever worked on.

But when you saw it up there on the silver screen in all it's glory, you thought it cost bazillions, which I'm sure was Camerons goal.

Cameron is well known for doing a lot with very little.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #63 of 2394 Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

1. Queen lies an egg
3. Facehugger impregnates (typically thru the throat) another life-form with an egg or embryo which grows to become a "chestburster"
4. Chestburster, after...uh...bursting, becomes a juvenile alien and is full grown very, VERY quickly

There is an alternate path of the cycle, in that a drone can immobilize a human and cocoon them, transforming them into an egg. That was the whole thing behind the deleted scene in Alien (that you can see in the Director's Cut.) Dallas was barely alive and Brett was well on his way to transforming. The concept of the queen hadn't been realized in the first movie, so they needed that part of the life cycle. But the scene was cut at the time due to pacing concerns. (Although when I saw the director's cut in theaters, I didn't think it was that bad, and a friend who had never seen Alien in any form saw the same showing and thought that it worked fine.)

So if you accept both paths, then the eggs on the space jockey's ship could have been caused by either a queen or a drone(s). I kind of hope they use both, as it makes the aliens that much more prolific and deadly.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #64 of 2394 Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Having said that, how did opened the doors?

Well, the queen managed to operate an elevator by herself.

Quote:

But in any way I don't think it knew that it was escape pod.

In one of the early drafts, there was talk of having the Alien be more intelligent. Namely, have it kill Ripley in the pod and then pilot the pod back to Earth. I think even Scott was considering that route, but he may have just wanted a darker ending.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #65 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Were these eggs being transported or smuggled somewhere to be used in research...or as military weaponry?

Interesting take on it. I never really thought of it that way, but a very good idea.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #66 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Interesting take on it. I never really thought of it that way, but a very good idea.

Very interesting take on it, and an easier route for a prequel.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #67 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

I always assumed they were being transported in order to make omelettes.
post #68 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I always assumed they were being transported in order to make omelettes.

That was my guess, too, Propers. I thought the space jockey stole them from a giant alien chicken (before I knew about the queen) and got caught.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #69 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the queen managed to operate an elevator by herself.

In one of the early drafts, there was talk of having the Alien be more intelligent. Namely, have it kill Ripley in the pod and then pilot the pod back to Earth. I think even Scott was considering that route, but he may have just wanted a darker ending.

The queen wasn't featured till the sequel, and many years later, like I said there is a definitive "evolution" being portrayed throughout of what these creatures can do. I don't deny that some intelligence was portrayed by the first alien, but much is being assumed by some of you, and can be interpreted in other ways as well. I. E. the escape pod. I'm glad Scott abandoned the alien piloting the pod ending, that would have been ludicrous.

The Hun
post #70 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Liked: 123
Quote:

In Alien 1, there was an obvious shipwreck (from which a homing beacon was broadcasting) and aboard was what seemed to be a dead Navigator/Pilot (aka Space Jockey).
And on the ship were "eggs," that would have be laid by a Queen sometime in the past.

1. Queen lies an egg
4. Chestburster, after...uh...bursting, becomes a juvenile alien and is full grown very, VERY quickly.

In many ways, the Aliens are much like ravenous fire ants, imo. Queen lays eggs, drones build, scouts find food, etc. The only difference is that the Aliens need a host for their tranformation from face sucking bugs to adult beings. With fire ants, their (astronomical) numbers are regulated by predators higher up in the food chain. This is exactly why I want to see the original Alien home planet. Since these things are such bad-ass creatures, what would stop them from completely obliterating their world, and thus, dying out from a lack of resources? What other predatory species keeps their numbers in check? We cannot simply assume that there are enough random ships that visit their world to support the entire species.

The only alternate path I can see that is viable would be to have the Aliens actually created on Earth, taken to another planet, and "The Company" sending out ships to that world as food/resources/transportation for their creation. This makes the Alien home planet that of our own and is the only way I can imagine the film being believable or interesting enough to include humans. Of course, this works only if the A vs. P line is ignored altogether.

Any thoughts?
post #71 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Just this talk about our ideas is making me think that an Alien prequel is going to be very difficult to pull off (and understandable why Fox is having reservations - especially with a 'rookie' director currently tagged for it).

I would love to see the Alien homeplanet - as I'm sure most of us would. Would that in turn make it another Aliens type of movie though? More action, less survival horror? Would it be another mining ship that discovers it, deep space research, or a marine presense? In any event, sounds expensive!

Or do they go the direction that they are manufactured? My only concern with this is that preservation of the Alien from the first movie was a main concern, as well as in Aliens. Seemed they wanted to study/weaponize them instead of providing the marines as food or resources for them (even though crews were expendable from both movies). Then again, the program could have been in it's infancy and then they are looking to study the adults in that environment.

So many directions that they could go in, but seemingly tough to please the loyal following. No easy way to go about it. In any event, AVP should be completely ignored.

Maybe an Alien prequel won't be about the Aliens at all, but about Ripley's childhood. They could make it into a musical.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #72 of 2394 Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

In many ways, the Aliens are much like ravenous fire ants, imo. Queen lays eggs, drones build, scouts find food, etc. The only difference is that the Aliens need a host for their tranformation from face sucking bugs to adult beings. With fire ants, their (astronomical) numbers are regulated by predators higher up in the food chain. This is exactly why I want to see the original Alien home planet. Since these things are such bad-ass creatures, what would stop them from completely obliterating their world, and thus, dying out from a lack of resources? What other predatory species keeps their numbers in check? We cannot simply assume that there are enough random ships that visit their world to support the entire species.

The only alternate path I can see that is viable would be to have the Aliens actually created on Earth, taken to another planet, and "The Company" sending out ships to that world as food/resources/transportation for their creation. This makes the Alien home planet that of our own and is the only way I can imagine the film being believable or interesting enough to include humans. Of course, this works only if the A vs. P line is ignored altogether.

Any thoughts?

Interesting you have asked about this....
Dark Horse Comics has quite a collection of Alien, Predators, and AvP novels.
Written by accomplished Sci-Fi writers, that just so happen to be geeky about all this stuff and will write for peanuts.
These help fill-in and flesh-out everything Alien and Predator.
The novels go in to issues regarding origins, biology, controlling, manipulating, genetics, etc.

One thing that has evolved in these stories is the mysterious ability of these creatures to remain "dormant" for long periods of time, without an apparent need for nourishment.
This is one of the prime reasons for doing research on them.
In the books, entire planets have been turned over to them so researchers can secretly conduct work.
But aliens are also illegally used to provide "security" in various places in the galaxy....always with disastrous results.

post #73 of 2394 Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
It's official, Ridley Scott has signed on to direct.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #74 of 2394 Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Just about to post that.. good news considering, imo.
post #75 of 2394 Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There is hope!!!

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #76 of 2394 Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post

There is hope!!!

Yeah, man. I hope that this movie with Ridley Scott and Predators with Robert Rodriguez producing ,can get this two dying franchises back on track. I really want to see again a new good Alien and Predator movie.
post #77 of 2394 Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 PM

Jon Spaihts is writing the script.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41887
post #78 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Naturally, Scott is the perfect choice for PREQUEL to Alien.
Damn, I have been waiting a long time for this.

post #79 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's hope yet.

Stephen.

post #80 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
It's too bad that this movie will be directed by the Ridley Scott of 2009 rather than the Ridley Scott of 1979. They're just not the same person at all.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #81 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's too bad that this movie will be directed by the Ridley Scott of 2009 rather than the Ridley Scott of 1979. They're just not the same person at all.

Well, that's a good point too.

Stephen.

post #82 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I take it you think it might not "work?"

You make a great observation about Scott.
FWIW, I think he is still a great filmmaker.
But you are right; he isn't same artist.

IMO, he hasn't made a BAD movie during his career.
Some have been better than others, however....

One of my biggest lamentations, to this day, is the Cameron/Scott AvP never materialized.
Just sitting here writing this caused my teeth to start grinding...again.

post #83 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

I'm sporting wood boys!!!

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #84 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of my biggest lamentations, to this day, is the Cameron/Scott AvP never materialized.
Just sitting here writing this caused my teeth to start grinding...again.

Really, you seemed happy with the ones we got instead.

The Hun
post #85 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everybody changes, but I wouldn't say he's not the same person especially if one don't even know the man himself

The Hun
post #86 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Gladiator sucked, IMO, but Scott probably didn't write its script.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #87 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I take it you think it might not "work?"

I can't imagine how a prequel to Alien possibly could work, no matter who's directing it.

Quote:

You make a great observation about Scott.
FWIW, I think he is still a great filmmaker.
But you are right; he isn't same artist.

It's kind of funny if you listen to the commentary on Body of Lies, Scott describes his (current) directorial philosophy, which is to put scenes together and shoot them quickly, without lingering on the details or making the actors wait around for things to happen. That is 100% the opposite of the Ridley Scott who made Alien and Blade Runner. His detail-obsessive perfectionism on Blade Runner was the cause of the huge rift between Scott and Harrison Ford.

Quote:

Submitted for your consideration:

Legend
Someone to Watch Over Me
Black Rain
White Squall
G.I. Jane
Gladiator
Hannibal
A Good Year
Body of Lies

Frankly, I think he's made hardly any GOOD movies since Blade Runner.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #88 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 04:49 PM

I agree with most of that list Josh, except..

Gladiator was far from bad or 'sucking' (as someone earlier stated).. I don't really understand why\\how it coulld be labeled as such.

As for 'since Blade Runner', he also made 'Black Hawk Down'! 'Matchstick Men', 'Kingdom of Heaven', and 'American Gangster' were all decent enough, but ya nothing as good as 'Blade Runner' to be sure. Hannibal, GI Jane, and A Good Year were especially awful. Haven't seen Body of Lies yet was it really that bad? =/

Still, I'm only attempting to counter with some hope! lol
post #89 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I agree. I think it would be really cool to see a human ship have interaction with an alien (or aliens) that eventually ends with an explanation of the ship that was putting out the warning beacon that the Nostromo found in the beginning of Alien.

first off the alien body was fossilized, so that "should" rule out any human contact that could re-date that ships crash landing.

shoudl be about a small settler ship that lands in the Alien home planet and all humans die - not word of the fate back on Earth, thus no knowledge of human contact with alien lifeform back on earth
post #90 of 2394 Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Perhaps
No doubt he's punched the clock on a few in his later years but I wouldn't bet against his ability to bring the juice on a project like this. The only factor is how much money and time he gets to do his thing.

I doubt he'd make his long awaited venture back into space without a huge budget and a killer script.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page