Alien Prequel - Prometheus - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,250
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

There's really no mystery to how movies are made these days. Anything interesting that appears on screen was done in a computer. That's pretty much the sum total of it. There are virtually no more miniatures, trick shots or false perspectives with complicate camera rigs.

"Gee, I wonder how they got that impossible shot... Oh, it's CGI, right. Huh."

While there is some truth there to be sure, it's interesting that you make that comment in a Prometheus thread, given that one of the defining characteristics of it's production has been an emphasis on practical effects - particularly building huge and extremely detailed sets, rather than simply green-screening/CGI. As well as the crew going to lengths to film in specific, dramatic locations (e.g Iceland etc). While it's going to employ CGI of course, certainly much of what is "interesting" on screen is going to have come from these locations, and from the fact these physical sets feature in the film. In fact, that's a drawing point for many of us.
R Harkness is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

There is actually a lot of CGI in Nolan's BATMAN films, but nowhere near as much had any other director been behind the camera. If it can be done without CGI, he does it without CGI.

Very true. When you see hundreds of cops and criminals colliding and clashing in DKR, it's all real. No CGI adding in "more" bodies or snow or smoke or duplicate Tumblers...it's all 100% real and in-camera. (I know...I was there.)
cinema13 is offline  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Very true. When you see hundreds of cops and criminals colliding and clashing in DKR, it's all real. No CGI adding in "more" bodies or snow or smoke or duplicate Tumblers...it's all 100% real and in-camera. (I know...I was there.)

So you were an extra in the Dark Knight Returns? Very cool.
adrift is offline  
 
Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,316
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's been YEARS since I have watched a "Making of..." featurette from a disk.
Doing so, gives my Suspension of Disbelief a shot in the crotch.

Check out the featurette from the Inception Blu-Ray. It's absolutely amazing how they were able to do all the effects in that movie. The paradox stairs were actually built that way, and the camera tracked to complete the effect. The corridor was built on a gimble and featured a mounted camera to complete the effect of walking on the ceiling. The weightless corridor was built to match and Levitt suspended from a harness. The snow fortress was built in the mountains for the perspective scenes, and in miniature for the explosion scene. They filmed on location on a snowy ridge.

It's all rather impressive, and a good watch if you're into that sort of thing.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

tighr is offline  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 PM
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

So you were an extra in the Dark Knight Returns? Very cool.

Well, if you like bruises!
cinema13 is offline  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Check out the featurette from the Inception Blu-Ray. It's absolutely amazing how they were able to do all the effects in that movie. The paradox stairs were actually built that way, and the camera tracked to complete the effect. The corridor was built on a gimble and featured a mounted camera to complete the effect of walking on the ceiling. The weightless corridor was built to match and Levitt suspended from a harness. The snow fortress was built in the mountains for the perspective scenes, and in miniature for the explosion scene. They filmed on location on a snowy ridge.

It's all rather impressive, and a good watch if you're into that sort of thing.

Man, now I have to hunt down the "making of". Whoda thunk in this day and age someone would still be using practical F/X. That makes me appreciate Nolan's films all the more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Well, if you like bruises!

Had to have been worth it.
adrift is offline  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 21,125
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5339 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's been YEARS since I have watched a "Making of..." featurette from a disk.
Doing so, gives my Suspension of Disbelief a shot in the crotch.

Well, I don't know if you are into those in general but there are some VERY good making-of docs out on disk that are worth watching.
Scott Simonian is offline  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 22,558
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

While there is some truth there to be sure, it's interesting that you make that comment in a Prometheus thread, given that one of the defining characteristics of it's production has been an emphasis on practical effects - particularly building huge and extremely detailed sets, rather than simply green-screening/CGI. As well as the crew going to lengths to film in specific, dramatic locations (e.g Iceland etc). While it's going to employ CGI of course, certainly much of what is "interesting" on screen is going to have come from these locations, and from the fact these physical sets feature in the film. In fact, that's a drawing point for many of us.

Yes, I've heard those stories as well. And yet every trailer I've seen for the movie has looked like a CGI-fest. I will reserve judgment until I see the movie (I'm still cautiously optimistic), but I suspect that most of the claims of "Almost no CGI at all!!" are marketing baloney. Even practical effects as "assisted" by CGI 99% of the time these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Didn't watch Inception, I take it?

Or any Christopher Nolan film, for that matter. The man hates CGI. Nearly every special effects shot in Inception and Dark Knight was done in camera.

Yes, I've seen both Inception and The Dark Knight. To say there's little CGI in either is... well, naive. You really think those purgatory scenes in the lowest dream level in Inception weren't pure CGI? Or Harvey Dent's face? Or the football stadium scene in the trailers for Dark Knight Rises?

Nolan also says that he loves the film look at hates Digital Intermediates, and yet the Dark Knight Blu-ray transfer (which he personally signed off on and has publicly defended) is slathered in DNR and Edge Enhancement.

Grain of salt, people. Grain of salt.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,316
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Yes, I've seen both Inception and The Dark Knight. To say there's little CGI in either is... well, naive. You really think those purgatory scenes in the lowest dream level in Inception weren't pure CGI? Or Harvey Dent's face? Or the football stadium scene in the trailers for Dark Knight Rises?

I didn't say all, I said "nearly every". Beyond the examples I already gave, you pointed out some of the few special effects shots that do require CGI. The limbo scene in Inception was actually filmed on location (also on the Blu-Ray), with the backgrounds digitally added in. Obviously, the only effective way to get the effect for Harvey Dent is digitally; make-up/masks would not look right. Same with the football stadium, you are not going to blow up a real NFL stadium. Even with composites, that wouldn't work well as a model.

That being said, there are substantially fewer digital effects shots in a Nolan film compared to your standard film. These days, many directors do things in CGI that you wouldn't even notice. It's nice to know there are directors out there who still like to do things old school.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

tighr is offline  
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,250
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
There seem to be some indications that Ridley Scott may have raised the bar for quality "real" 3D images on this movie (from people involved in the FX and some journalists who've seen footage, e.g. from The Independent: "The 3D footage shown to journalists on the morning of our interview is genuinely stunning – certainly the best live-action 3D I've seen").

So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?
R Harkness is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

Absolutely! This is one of the highlight films of the year, in terms of 3D. Of course I want to see the film regardless, but I'm really looking forward to the 3D aspect as well.

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 21,125
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5339 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
No. I will almost always skip 3D.
Scott Simonian is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RobertR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 6,636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

The 3D footage shown to journalists on the morning of our interview is genuinely stunning - certainly the best live-action 3D I've seen[/i]").

So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

I will NOT fall for marketing hype for 3D. I've seen too many examples of it to be impressed.
RobertR is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,356
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked: 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

Nope. I like a nice, bright 2D picture. Wake me when the technology moves beyond a glorified ViewMaster look (probably when we get true holographic displays).
archiguy is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

Nope. 3D is not immersive to me, it's not better than 2D. It's not because I'm against it, but I simply think it brings nothing.

__________
Nicolas.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
Morpheo is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post


So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

Definitely. I love 3D when implemented decently. I'm hoping Prometheus and The Amazing Spider-man raise the bar.
adrift is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 AM
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post


So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

Yep, and in IMAX too. Movies like this come along far too rarely to not see it in the best way possible and as the filmmakers intended.
cinema13 is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 AM
 
bcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'll wait for some of you to see both versions and report back.
bcruiser is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Will2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Nope. I like a nice, bright 2D picture. Wake me when the technology moves beyond a glorified ViewMaster look (probably when we get true holographic displays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Nope. 3D is not immersive to me, it's not better than 2D. It's not because I'm against it, but I simply think it brings nothing.

Yes and yes. It's half the brightness and half the resolution of 2D. No thanks.
Will2007 is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,316
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

No. It is and always will be a gimmick. I can immerse myself into the film world just fine without a distraction. When you watch 3D, you spend more time watching the 3D than you do just watching the film.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

tighr is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:36 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Check out the featurette from the Inception Blu-Ray. It's absolutely amazing how they were able to do all the effects in that movie. The paradox stairs were actually built that way, and the camera tracked to complete the effect. The corridor was built on a gimble and featured a mounted camera to complete the effect of walking on the ceiling. The weightless corridor was built to match and Levitt suspended from a harness. The snow fortress was built in the mountains for the perspective scenes, and in miniature for the explosion scene. They filmed on location on a snowy ridge.

It's all rather impressive, and a good watch if you're into that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Well, I don't know if you are into those in general but there are some VERY good making-of docs out on disk that are worth watching.

I am sure there are some good featurettes out there, but most seem the same; different movies perhaps, but still the same thing.
oink is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 02:29 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

No. I will almost always skip 3D.

This is my standard answer as well. My problem stems from the fact that the good sound system is in the 3D equipped theater room in my small town, and I'm far more concerned with audio quality than video...but I'll still see this one in 2D if I make the trip.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is online now  
Old 05-26-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 20,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

There seem to be some indications that Ridley Scott may have raised the bar for quality "real" 3D images on this movie (from people involved in the FX and some journalists who've seen footage, e.g. from The Independent: "The 3D footage shown to journalists on the morning of our interview is genuinely stunning - certainly the best live-action 3D I've seen").

So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

Absolutely! Scott shot it in 3D - best to see the movie as the director intended.
Lee Stewart is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

No. It is and always will be a gimmick. I can immerse myself into the film world just fine without a distraction. When you watch 3D, you spend more time watching the 3D than you do just watching the film.

Precisely, and it's more expensive to watch. Less for more.
thedeskE is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RobertR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 6,636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Absolutely! Scott shot it in 3D - best to see the movie as the director intended.

By that logic, any film NOT shot in 3D (ie post-converted), should be viewed in 2D. But I get the impression you don't adhere to it.
RobertR is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 20,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

By that logic, any film NOT shot in 3D (ie post-converted), should be viewed in 2D. But I get the impression you don't adhere to it.

Absolutely - there are now two ways to create 3D images - native and post conversion. I adhere to seeing the movie as the director intended it to be seen.

It's like all the people who saw TDK but didn't see it in a 15/70 IMAX theater. They say they saw the movie but they didn't see it as the director intended.
Lee Stewart is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 24,624
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked: 2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

By that logic, any film NOT shot in 3D (ie post-converted), should be viewed in 2D.

If the filmmakers post-converted the movie, then they intended you to see it in 3D.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 24,624
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked: 2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?

Having seen the trailer in 3D and considering Ridley Scott's comments about 3D, I'd rather not see it any other way.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee stewart View Post

absolutely! Scott shot it in 3d - best to see the movie as the director intended.

+1
oink is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 20,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

having seen the trailer in 3d and considering ridley scott's comments about 3d, i'd rather not see it any other way.

+1
Lee Stewart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off