post #901 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

There's really no mystery to how movies are made these days. Anything interesting that appears on screen was done in a computer. That's pretty much the sum total of it. There are virtually no more miniatures, trick shots or false perspectives with complicate camera rigs.

"Gee, I wonder how they got that impossible shot... Oh, it's CGI, right. Huh."

While there is some truth there to be sure, it's interesting that you make that comment in a Prometheus thread, given that one of the defining characteristics of it's production has been an emphasis on practical effects - particularly building huge and extremely detailed sets, rather than simply green-screening/CGI. As well as the crew going to lengths to film in specific, dramatic locations (e.g Iceland etc). While it's going to employ CGI of course, certainly much of what is "interesting" on screen is going to have come from these locations, and from the fact these physical sets feature in the film. In fact, that's a drawing point for many of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

There is actually a lot of CGI in Nolan's BATMAN films, but nowhere near as much had any other director been behind the camera. If it can be done without CGI, he does it without CGI.

Very true. When you see hundreds of cops and criminals colliding and clashing in DKR, it's all real. No CGI adding in "more" bodies or snow or smoke or duplicate Tumblers...it's all 100% real and in-camera. (I know...I was there.)

post #903 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Very true. When you see hundreds of cops and criminals colliding and clashing in DKR, it's all real. No CGI adding in "more" bodies or snow or smoke or duplicate Tumblers...it's all 100% real and in-camera. (I know...I was there.)

So you were an extra in the Dark Knight Returns? Very cool.
post #904 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's been YEARS since I have watched a "Making of..." featurette from a disk.
Doing so, gives my Suspension of Disbelief a shot in the crotch.

Check out the featurette from the Inception Blu-Ray. It's absolutely amazing how they were able to do all the effects in that movie. The paradox stairs were actually built that way, and the camera tracked to complete the effect. The corridor was built on a gimble and featured a mounted camera to complete the effect of walking on the ceiling. The weightless corridor was built to match and Levitt suspended from a harness. The snow fortress was built in the mountains for the perspective scenes, and in miniature for the explosion scene. They filmed on location on a snowy ridge.

It's all rather impressive, and a good watch if you're into that sort of thing.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #905 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

So you were an extra in the Dark Knight Returns? Very cool.

Well, if you like bruises!

post #906 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Check out the featurette from the Inception Blu-Ray. It's absolutely amazing how they were able to do all the effects in that movie. The paradox stairs were actually built that way, and the camera tracked to complete the effect. The corridor was built on a gimble and featured a mounted camera to complete the effect of walking on the ceiling. The weightless corridor was built to match and Levitt suspended from a harness. The snow fortress was built in the mountains for the perspective scenes, and in miniature for the explosion scene. They filmed on location on a snowy ridge.

Man, now I have to hunt down the "making of". Whoda thunk in this day and age someone would still be using practical F/X. That makes me appreciate Nolan's films all the more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Well, if you like bruises!

Had to have been worth it.
post #907 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's been YEARS since I have watched a "Making of..." featurette from a disk.
Doing so, gives my Suspension of Disbelief a shot in the crotch.

Well, I don't know if you are into those in general but there are some VERY good making-of docs out on disk that are worth watching.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #908 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

While there is some truth there to be sure, it's interesting that you make that comment in a Prometheus thread, given that one of the defining characteristics of it's production has been an emphasis on practical effects - particularly building huge and extremely detailed sets, rather than simply green-screening/CGI. As well as the crew going to lengths to film in specific, dramatic locations (e.g Iceland etc). While it's going to employ CGI of course, certainly much of what is "interesting" on screen is going to have come from these locations, and from the fact these physical sets feature in the film. In fact, that's a drawing point for many of us.

Yes, I've heard those stories as well. And yet every trailer I've seen for the movie has looked like a CGI-fest. I will reserve judgment until I see the movie (I'm still cautiously optimistic), but I suspect that most of the claims of "Almost no CGI at all!!" are marketing baloney. Even practical effects as "assisted" by CGI 99% of the time these days.

Quote:

Didn't watch Inception, I take it?

Or any Christopher Nolan film, for that matter. The man hates CGI. Nearly every special effects shot in Inception and Dark Knight was done in camera.

Yes, I've seen both Inception and The Dark Knight. To say there's little CGI in either is... well, naive. You really think those purgatory scenes in the lowest dream level in Inception weren't pure CGI? Or Harvey Dent's face? Or the football stadium scene in the trailers for Dark Knight Rises?

Nolan also says that he loves the film look at hates Digital Intermediates, and yet the Dark Knight Blu-ray transfer (which he personally signed off on and has publicly defended) is slathered in DNR and Edge Enhancement.

Grain of salt, people. Grain of salt.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #909 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Yes, I've seen both Inception and The Dark Knight. To say there's little CGI in either is... well, naive. You really think those purgatory scenes in the lowest dream level in Inception weren't pure CGI? Or Harvey Dent's face? Or the football stadium scene in the trailers for Dark Knight Rises?

I didn't say all, I said "nearly every". Beyond the examples I already gave, you pointed out some of the few special effects shots that do require CGI. The limbo scene in Inception was actually filmed on location (also on the Blu-Ray), with the backgrounds digitally added in. Obviously, the only effective way to get the effect for Harvey Dent is digitally; make-up/masks would not look right. Same with the football stadium, you are not going to blow up a real NFL stadium. Even with composites, that wouldn't work well as a model.

That being said, there are substantially fewer digital effects shots in a Nolan film compared to your standard film. These days, many directors do things in CGI that you wouldn't even notice. It's nice to know there are directors out there who still like to do things old school.

post #910 of 2400 Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 352
There seem to be some indications that Ridley Scott may have raised the bar for quality "real" 3D images on this movie (from people involved in the FX and some journalists who've seen footage, e.g. from The Independent: "The 3D footage shown to journalists on the morning of our interview is genuinely stunning – certainly the best live-action 3D I've seen").

So a question to all:

Do you plan to see Prometheus in 3D?
post #911 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

So a question to all:

Absolutely! This is one of the highlight films of the year, in terms of 3D. Of course I want to see the film regardless, but I'm really looking forward to the 3D aspect as well.

David Budo
post #912 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 906
No. I will almost always skip 3D.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #913 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

The 3D footage shown to journalists on the morning of our interview is genuinely stunning - certainly the best live-action 3D I've seen[/i]").

So a question to all:

I will NOT fall for marketing hype for 3D. I've seen too many examples of it to be impressed.
post #914 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:

So a question to all:

Nope. I like a nice, bright 2D picture. Wake me when the technology moves beyond a glorified ViewMaster look (probably when we get true holographic displays).
post #915 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Nope. 3D is not immersive to me, it's not better than 2D. It's not because I'm against it, but I simply think it brings nothing.
post #916 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:

So a question to all:

Definitely. I love 3D when implemented decently. I'm hoping Prometheus and The Amazing Spider-man raise the bar.
post #917 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So a question to all:

Yep, and in IMAX too. Movies like this come along far too rarely to not see it in the best way possible and as the filmmakers intended.

post #918 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'll wait for some of you to see both versions and report back.
post #919 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Nope. I like a nice, bright 2D picture. Wake me when the technology moves beyond a glorified ViewMaster look (probably when we get true holographic displays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Nope. 3D is not immersive to me, it's not better than 2D. It's not because I'm against it, but I simply think it brings nothing.

Yes and yes. It's half the brightness and half the resolution of 2D. No thanks.
post #920 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So a question to all:

No. It is and always will be a gimmick. I can immerse myself into the film world just fine without a distraction. When you watch 3D, you spend more time watching the 3D than you do just watching the film.

post #921 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Well, I don't know if you are into those in general but there are some VERY good making-of docs out on disk that are worth watching.

I am sure there are some good featurettes out there, but most seem the same; different movies perhaps, but still the same thing.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #922 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

No. I will almost always skip 3D.

This is my standard answer as well. My problem stems from the fact that the good sound system is in the 3D equipped theater room in my small town, and I'm far more concerned with audio quality than video...but I'll still see this one in 2D if I make the trip.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #923 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

There seem to be some indications that Ridley Scott may have raised the bar for quality "real" 3D images on this movie (from people involved in the FX and some journalists who've seen footage, e.g. from The Independent: "The 3D footage shown to journalists on the morning of our interview is genuinely stunning - certainly the best live-action 3D I've seen").

So a question to all:

Absolutely! Scott shot it in 3D - best to see the movie as the director intended.
post #924 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

No. It is and always will be a gimmick. I can immerse myself into the film world just fine without a distraction. When you watch 3D, you spend more time watching the 3D than you do just watching the film.

Precisely, and it's more expensive to watch. Less for more.
post #925 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Absolutely! Scott shot it in 3D - best to see the movie as the director intended.

By that logic, any film NOT shot in 3D (ie post-converted), should be viewed in 2D. But I get the impression you don't adhere to it.
post #926 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

By that logic, any film NOT shot in 3D (ie post-converted), should be viewed in 2D. But I get the impression you don't adhere to it.

Absolutely - there are now two ways to create 3D images - native and post conversion. I adhere to seeing the movie as the director intended it to be seen.

It's like all the people who saw TDK but didn't see it in a 15/70 IMAX theater. They say they saw the movie but they didn't see it as the director intended.
post #927 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

By that logic, any film NOT shot in 3D (ie post-converted), should be viewed in 2D.

If the filmmakers post-converted the movie, then they intended you to see it in 3D.

Sanjay
post #928 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:

Having seen the trailer in 3D and considering Ridley Scott's comments about 3D, I'd rather not see it any other way.

Sanjay
post #929 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee stewart View Post

absolutely! Scott shot it in 3d - best to see the movie as the director intended.

+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #930 of 2400 Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

having seen the trailer in 3d and considering ridley scott's comments about 3d, i'd rather not see it any other way.

+1
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page