Alien Prequel - Prometheus - Page 37 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Other Areas of Interest > Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Alien Prequel - Prometheus

Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Auditor55's Avatar Auditor55
01:07 PM Liked: 21
post #1081 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Avatar doesnt come close to Prometheus. Prometheus at least believe that the audience have a brain.
I would rate the movies like this.
Prometheus: 4
Alien: 5+
But I would like a longer cut of Prometheus. It has to fast pacing. Not that I would like more scenes, just let the existing one have some air. And trim down one or two scenes to mask script flaws with some of the supporting characters.

I just saw Prometheus and it wasn't very good, just OK in my opinion. Doesn't live up to the hype at all. Oh, BTW, this movie doesn't come close to being as good as Avatar, not in the same league.
buddahead's Avatar buddahead
01:07 PM Liked: 11
post #1082 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 1,903
I just got back from seeing it. If your wanting a Alien type movie that one person at a time gets killed by the Alien then your simple mind will de dissapointed.This movie is very creative and will go over the heads of most american youth and many adults .If you like movies like 2001 space oddesy plus some horror and special effects that are the best I have seen plus you have to actully use your mind some times then you will love this movie.Its like a good album'sometimes it takes a few listenings to appreciate it.I loved it and most around me thought the same.Only one fat lady with her husband said it was a waste of money.But she spendt most of the time stuffings her fat face with popcorn and candy'After the movie she went to the ladys room and her husband told me I should just leave her their.biggrin.gif 4 out of 5 stars for me.
sb1's Avatar sb1
01:19 PM Liked: 154
post #1083 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 7,336
^

SpockFascinating.jpg
thedeskE's Avatar thedeskE
01:27 PM Liked: 67
post #1084 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ahhh, got it. You're right - not much to go on there in that first scene.
I think something will have to be explained about the ending as well though. It's been awhile since I've seen "Alien", but I know that the Alien ship they find looks the same as the ones we see here in Prometheus. However, the star-traveler in Alien shown long-dead at the controls seems to be one of the "big guys" with it's chest blown open. Too big to be Elizabeth David. So I'm thinking there's another story there...
AH yes - Remember David knew of multiple ships in the parameter of the main mound/pyramid. This should cover their butts when they refer to another one not seen
taking off years earlier for you know where (assuming that's where they take it) A short scene showing her passage to the one they pilot away would have helped, but like much of the film things get no beginning or end to build tension. Just cut to the center of a scene. Guess they think this WTF type edit is cool to some people. I don't watch TV, so I wouldn't know how to 'Get It'

01:31 PM Liked: 21
post #1085 of 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

Sorry to say but Prometheus was one piece of garbage of a movie...what a waste of money!!!!!!
a word to Ridley.....
it's time to retire my friend, your days are well past you.
and please don't even bother with a sequel or prequel to Blade Runner.

This movie was poorly directed, I can't think of one likelable character in movie, there was little chemistry between the characters. Considering the cast, he should have been able to do a better job. To say this movie had plot holes in an understatement. The writing and or the screenplay could have been done better, they could have gone deeper into the concept of creation, God, Alien race or evolution, they just glossed over it.
01:39 PM Liked: 21
post #1086 of 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

I just got back from seeing it. If your wanting a Alien type movie that one person at a time gets killed by the Alien then your simple mind will de dissapointed.This movie is very creative and will go over the heads of most american youth and many adults .If you like movies like 2001 space oddesy plus some horror and special effects that are the best I have seen plus you have to actully use your mind some times then you will love this movie.Its like a good album'sometimes it takes a few listenings to appreciate it.I loved it and most around me thought the same.Only one fat lady with her husband said it was a waste of money.But she spendt most of the time stuffings her fat face with popcorn and candy'After the movie she went to the ladys room and her husband told me I should just leave her their.biggrin.gif 4 out of 5 stars for me.

I have to disagree. I don't think they went deep enough. There are certain sophisticated, philosophical, scientific minds that will laugh at this movie.I don't want to go to detail as to spoil the movie.This movie was OK, it did try to deal with subject of the origins of man, a subject that is the source of intense debate, i.e. creation vs. evolution.
MovieSwede's Avatar MovieSwede
01:47 PM Liked: 37
post #1087 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 6,773
Quote:

If you like movies like 2001 space oddesy plus some horror and special effects

Yes the movie do remind you somewhat of 2001. I would even say that the movie is a mix of Alien, Bladerunner, Star Trek and 2001.
01:52 PM Liked: 37
post #1088 of 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

To say this movie had plot holes in an understatement.

Any plothole You would like to share with spoilertags?
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo
01:57 PM Liked: 345
post #1089 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 6,710
Quote:

I just got back from seeing it. If your wanting a Alien type movie that one person at a time gets killed by the Alien then your simple mind will de dissapointed.This movie is very creative and will go over the heads of most american youth and many adults .If you like movies like 2001 space oddesy plus some horror and special effects that are the best I have seen plus you have to actully use your mind some times then you will love this movie.Its like a good album'sometimes it takes a few listenings to appreciate it.I loved it and most around me thought the same.

+1. Alien and Prometheus are 2 different types of movies.
What I would have liked is a more detailed approach of Shaw's background with her father and her faith. At times I thought she just "wanted" to believe without even knowing why exactly. Of course it's because of mother in the first place I guess, but it seems it's just more comfortable for her to think her mother is "in a better place". Come to think of it, religious belief and why are 2 radically opposite concepts.wink.gif The ending was great by the way, I can't wait to see what David and Shaw are going to discover in the next movie! Also the alien at the end looked quite different than its previous incarnation didn't he? His "second jaw" was convincing! smile.gif

Quote:
Only one fat lady with her husband said it was a waste of money.But she spendt most of the time stuffings her fat face with popcorn and candy'After the movie she went to the ladys room and her husband told me I should just leave her their.biggrin.gif 4 out of 5 stars for me.

lmao!!biggrin.gif
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo
02:00 PM Liked: 345
post #1090 of 2416
Quote:

Yes the movie do remind you somewhat of 2001. I would even say that the movie is a mix of Alien, Bladerunner, Star Trek and 2001.

Damn that's a lot in a single movie!wink.gif I agree about 2001 but...Star Trek? how so?
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo
02:07 PM Liked: 345
post #1091 of 2416
Quote:

I just saw Prometheus and it wasn't very good, just OK in my opinion. Doesn't live up to the hype at all. Oh, BTW, this movie doesn't come close to being as good as Avatar, not in the same league.

Can you elaborate about the Avatar bit? Prometheus is film 100 times better than Avatar. Avatar is an action movie embedded in a sci-fi universe and clichéd characters. Prometheus is a true science-fiction movie, with much more developed characters and a better story. *imo*wink.gif
02:08 PM Liked: 21
post #1092 of 2416
Quote:

Any plothole You would like to share with spoilertags?

How do you include spoilertags?
02:14 PM Liked: 37
post #1093 of 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Damn that's a lot in a single movie!wink.gif I agree about 2001 but...Star Trek? how so?

Any scene that doesnt remind you of the other 3. wink.gif
02:16 PM Liked: 37
post #1094 of 2416
Quote:

How do you include spoilertags?

The black textbubble.
buddahead's Avatar buddahead
02:17 PM Liked: 11
post #1095 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 1,903
Quote:

I have to disagree. I don't think they went deep enough. There are certain sophisticated, philosophical, scientific minds that will laugh at this movie.I don't want to go to detail as to spoil the movie.This movie was OK, it did try to deal with subject of the origins of man, a subject that is the source of intense debate, i.e. creation vs. evolution.

Well their is a fine line with that.If you go to deep then most in this country since 50% are uneducated and do not even work will even know what is going on.I thnk they did a decent job of making a movie that had a littel horror'mystery'science ect and made you think some.Hard to do these days given the average audience that even go to movies.Myself I do not give a dam what scientific sophitcated minds would think'Fist off a movie is suppose to be an escape from day to day life and entertain you.If you go in thinking the movie is going to solve the orgin of man then you have a problem.
R Harkness's Avatar R Harkness
02:18 PM Liked: 392
post #1096 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 12,084
Boy, views of this movie are all over the map.

I'm seeing it tonight. My expectations have been lowered which is probably a good thing. I'll try to get the most out of it I can. Though I have a feeling it
might be tough. They type of criticisms lobbed at Prometheus (thin characters, ridiculous unmotivated character and plot moves etc) are the types of things
that tend to drive me nuts in movies. Will see...
02:40 PM Liked: 21
post #1097 of 2416
Quote:

Can you elaborate about the Avatar bit? Prometheus is film 100 times better than Avatar. Avatar is an action movie embedded in a sci-fi universe and clichéd characters. Prometheus is a true science-fiction movie, with much more developed characters and a better story. *imo*wink.gif

Avatar was movie making at its best. Again Prometheous wasn't even close, its not in same league. Avatar was sci-fi, action, fantasy, great story telling, without gaping plotholes and with a powerful socially conscious message that resonated with people world wide. It was the epitome of art imitating real life. Prometheous probably would have been much better if James Cameron would have directed it. I say Prometheous was OK because it was visually stunning and the soundtrack outstanding, I suspect it will be a HT demo favorite once the Blu Ray comes out.

You say the Prometheous had better developed characters, I have to differ with you. That was part of the problem of the movie. As I stated before, name me one likable character, most the main characters were jerks. Talk about part played Charlize Theron, what a waste of a talented actress. What was she doing and who was she supposed to be, I mean really. Also, some critic characterized one of the female characters as a herione, I don't know which movie he was watching, but I don't see any female character play the part of a heroine or doing any heroic stuff in the movie. Lets not forget the captain, have you ever seen a captain so nonchalant and so uninterested in a mission like they one their crew was on. I mean, just give him a six pack and he would be cool. I just don't find that consistent with human nature, which take aways from the believeability of movie. Some of the other characters, the movie did not explain there expertise and why they were selected to join the crew and the mission. I mean who were those people and why should I care.
Matt_Stevens's Avatar Matt_Stevens
02:49 PM Liked: 48
post #1098 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 13,818
Ebert gave it 4 stars. And yeah, views are all over the map. Talk about dividing people. Blade Runner did the same thing upon its release.
02:49 PM Liked: 21
post #1099 of 2416
Quote:

Well their is a fine line with that.If you go to deep then most in this country since 50% are uneducated and do not even work will even know what is going on.I thnk they did a decent job of making a movie that had a littel horror'mystery'science ect and made you think some.Hard to do these days given the average audience that even go to movies.Myself I do not give a dam what scientific sophitcated minds would think'Fist off a movie is suppose to be an escape from day to day life and entertain you.If you go in thinking the movie is going to solve the orgin of man then you have a problem.

Man I love sci-fi, that's my thing, my favorite movie genre. I really, really wanted to love the movie. I came away with just an OK movie. I wanted this movie to push the envelope, I don't care about the popcorn movie crowd, I didn't expect them to like it anyway. However for a hardcore sci-fi movie buff, I think its going to be a disappointment for us. BTW, these are just my opinions. Some people are going to like this movie, some are not, I understand that. Being a die hard Star Wars fan, I kind left this movie the same way I did Ep. 1 , hyped up to see it and then kind of disappointed afterwards.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo
02:58 PM Liked: 345
post #1100 of 2416
Quote:

As I stated before, name me one likable character, most the main characters were jerks.

As were most of the Aliens's cast by the way. "likeable" is a subjective thing I guess, but Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's characters were likeable imo. David is a robot, he's not supposed to be liked or not liked, but he kinda redeems himself at the end, and the rest is still open. Noomi wanted to do the right thing, to understand things. Even Charlize Theron, near the end changed her behavior.
What resonated worldwide for Avatar was how cool it looked in 3D. It was the first of its kind, sort of. But its so called social message is simplistic. Again to me Avatar is great action, but Prometheus is great sci-fi. I'm not trying to convince you with my opinion by the way, that's simply how I see the 2 movies.
jcmccorm's Avatar jcmccorm
03:04 PM Liked: 13
post #1101 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 3,381
Although there are a lot of unanswered questions in this movie, I tend to think that it accomplished what good sci-fi does best; set up a scenario in order to pose difficult philisophical questions. In this case (and I don't think I need a spoiler here), the question is "where did we come from?".

Without going into spoiler territory with this, one facet I found interesting was a very interesting parallel between the human's relationship with their makers and the questions they have for them, and the relationship between the artificial life-form and it's makers. That's just good sci-fi.

Cary
03:06 PM Liked: 37
post #1102 of 2416
Quote:

Avatar was movie making at its best. Again Prometheous wasn't even close, its not in same league. Avatar was sci-fi, action, fantasy, great story telling, without gaping plotholes

Like flying so low and slow that the blue smurfs have time for dessert before they attack the main bomber. wink.gif
03:25 PM Liked: 21
post #1103 of 2416
Quote:

As were most of the Aliens's cast by the way. "likeable" is a subjective thing I guess, but Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's characters were likeable imo. David is a robot, he's not supposed to be liked or not liked, but he kinda redeems himself at the end, and the rest is still open. Noomi wanted to do the right thing, to understand things. Even Charlize Theron, near the end changed her behavior.
I understand that robot or android wasn't necessarily meant to be liked. I was really refering to the human characters. However, with the android, you didn't know if he was sinister or not. He purposesly infected Noomi Rapace's husband with the alien blood, however the movie failed to follow up on that storyline, yet at the end of the movie Noomi Rapace joins forces with the android to escape the planet, the same android that murdered her husband as if nothing happened, that doesn't make sense

pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin
03:29 PM Liked: 101
post #1104 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 5,071
Quote:

Like flying so low and slow that the blue smurfs have time for dessert before they attack the main bomber. wink.gif

IMHO, I don't remotely see the great story telling in Avatar... lol that's just me
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin
03:30 PM Liked: 101
post #1105 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 5,071
Already preordered the bluray...hopefully there won't be a DC released the next day lol
03:32 PM Liked: 21
post #1106 of 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

IMHO, I don't remotely see the great story telling in Avatar... lol that's just me

I might have to explain it to you one day.smile.gif
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian
03:34 PM Liked: 1062
post #1107 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 14,380
Avatar was a great production but not a great movie, imo. The story was very run-of-the-mill with cardboard cut out characters. The 3D and overall ability to be shown to all ages that made it a mega success.

Prometheus was both a great production and movie. Especially Sci-fi which we get very little of these days.

Btw, to do a spoiler tag (like we have to teach this in every movie thread....) is without the quotes ["spoiler]insert text here[/spoiler"]. Easy.

One question my friend had and not really a spoiler but I'll block it anyway.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
was right at the very begining when the uber "human" drank the stuff and then died. We thought they all knew it was a weapon to use against we humans, no? Another thought was that when they showed the DNA sort of rebuild was that it was the technique to populating the planet with life. Makes some sense but... I don't know. It was a question I had at the end.

mr. wally's Avatar mr. wally
03:40 PM Liked: 54
post #1108 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 3,827
i think we need 2 threads for prometheus. one with spoilers, the other without.

this current thread is becoming pretty close to a spoiler despite the best efforts of members
to post by the rules.

it appears this film is very much like b.r. which opened to decidely mixed reviews.

may be like 2001, a movie you have to see several times to catch all the nuances and really appreciate the filmakers vision

how about a directors cut that would include the "r" rated material.
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi
03:40 PM Liked: 26
post #1109 of 2416
06-08-2012 | Posts: 17,180
I saw the movie and I must say I really liked it. Maybe it's because I went in with 0 expectations. I wasn't expecting an Alien prequel, I wasn't expecting anything. In fact, earlier this morning I caught Michael Fassbender on The View and he blatantly stated the movie is not an Alien prequel. The movie is a lot of things, but if anything it's certainly that.

I think the one thing the movie didn't need was the scene with the captain Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
stating the planet was a military installation.
It was totally unnecessary and made it feel as if Ridley Scott was dumbing down the movie for "Joe 6-pack" who's been clueless up until that point.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo
03:47 PM Liked: 345
post #1110 of 2416
Quote:

I understand that robot or android wasn't necessarily meant to be liked. I was really refering to the human characters. However, with the android, you didn't know if he was sinister or not. He purposesly infected Noomi Rapace's husband with the alien blood, however the movie failed to follow up on that storyline, yet at the end of the movie Noomi Rapace joins forces with the android to escape the planet, the same android that murdered her husband as if nothing happened, that doesn't make sense
Indeed we didn't know if he was sinister or not, that's precisely what I liked about him wink.gif. Regarding Hallaway's fate, yes David is the one who did it, but did he know the consequences? Did he know how he would react to the substance? He's a computer so we can assume everything has some sort of scientific, testing purpose to him since he lacks any sort of human emotion. So maybe that's why he asked her if she had sex with him, maybe he was just curious about the cause and effect. His agenda was Weyland's and his pursuit of immortality so to speak ("big things have small beginnings"), I'm not sure he knew the substance would kill Hallaway. It was just a test before giving it to Weyland. Since he's a robot that doesn't make him a "bad guy" either. And in the end, they are both the only "survivors" so it's not like she has a choice. She was sure she was gonna die until he tells her about the other ships. Her quest for the truth is too strong she knows he's her last hope given the circumstances to 1/stay alive and 2/find the truth so it does make sense wink.gif

Tags: Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray

Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Subscribe to this Thread