Alien Prequel - Prometheus - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 2416 Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Submitted for your consideration:

Legend
Someone to Watch Over Me
Black Rain
White Squall
G.I. Jane
Gladiator
Hannibal
A Good Year
Body of Lies

Frankly, I think he's made hardly any GOOD movies since Blade Runner.

Like I said...no BAD movies.
Yeah, admittedly there have been some that can be classified as "fair."
I haven't seen all of the films in your list, but here goes:
Legend = highly underrated IMO...Tim Curry is the scariest Lucifer yet.
Black Rain = only fair, hasn't aged well.
Gladiator = very good...best of that year? Not so sure of that.
Body of Lies = only fair...sadly.
Sorry, I just haven't seen all of the films you listed.

Blackhawk Down = quite superb
Kingdom of Heaven = very good
American Gangster = good
Matchstick Men = fun, quirky, only fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

I doubt he'd make his long awaited venture back into space without a huge budget and a killer script.

I certainly hope so...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Just passed the commentary on Alien (Quad Set) and Ridley mentions twice his take on the Space Jockey. The ship is military and the eggs are a weapons cache, ready to be deployed.
thedeskE is offline  
post #93 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I agree with most of that list Josh, except..

Gladiator was far from bad or 'sucking' (as someone earlier stated).. I don't really understand why\\how it coulld be labeled as such.

"Oh, Maximus, wook at how sweaty and muscuwar you are. I just want to wub my hands all ovew you. But fewst I must pricky pricky prick you with my wittle poison bwade. And then I must mowest my nephew. Because I'm soooooooo eeeeeevil. Tee hee hee..."

Gladiator sucks. Hard. It should have won the Razzie in 2000, not the Oscar.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #94 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lordcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post




Submitted for your consideration:

Legend
Someone to Watch Over Me
Black Rain
White Squall
G.I. Jane
Gladiator
Hannibal
A Good Year
Body of Lies

Frankly, I think he's made hardly any GOOD movies since Blade Runner.

Legend is a beautiful movie that is HIGHLY underrated.
G.I. Jane is a very good movie
Gladiator is a classic almost
Hannibal, also a very beautiful and underrated movie that while is not the same type of movie as the first, and I think that's what people were expecting, on it's own and even as a sequel, is a very good movie.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

lordcloud is offline  
post #95 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

"Oh, Maximus, wook at how sweaty and muscuwar you are. I just want to wub my hands all ovew you. But fewst I must pricky pricky prick you with my wittle poison bwade. And then I must mowest my nephew. Because I'm soooooooo eeeeeevil. Tee hee hee..."

Gladiator sucks. Hard. It should have won the Razzie in 2000, not the Oscar.

Hmmm....I guess you really DON'T like Gladiator.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #96 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

"Oh, Maximus, wook at how sweaty and muscuwar you are. I just want to wub my hands all ovew you. But fewst I must pricky pricky prick you with my wittle poison bwade. And then I must mowest my nephew. Because I'm soooooooo eeeeeevil. Tee hee hee..."

Gladiator sucks. Hard. It should have won the Razzie in 2000, not the Oscar.

So because you didn't enjoy Joaquin's performance (which I - like most everyone else - found creepy/disturbing and very effective) then the whole movie sucked hard? =/
lwright84 is offline  
post #97 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
gaffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Like I said...no BAD movies.
Yeah, admittedly there have been some that can be classified as "fair."
I haven't seen all of the films in your list, but here goes:
Legend = highly underrated IMO...Tim Curry is the scariest Lucifer yet.
Black Rain = only fair, hasn't aged well.
Gladiator = very good...best of that year? Not so sure of that.
Body of Lies = only fair...sadly.
Sorry, I just haven't seen all of the films you listed.

Blackhawk Down = quite superb
Kingdom of Heaven = very good
American Gangster = good
Matchstick Men = fun, quirky, only fair


I certainly hope so...

Blackhawk Down is one of the best movies - ever. top ten.

Gladiator is average action movie - at best IMHO.

no mention of the cool movie The Duelists? - for shame for shame. ;-). Harvey Kietel(sp) is sssssssssssooooooooooo good in that one! superb cinematography too.

---

I actually liked Body of Lies more than most of those in the list above.
gaffo is offline  
post #98 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

So because you didn't enjoy Joaquin's performance (which I - like most everyone else - found creepy/disturbing and very effective) then the whole movie sucked hard? =/

The problem for this film (IMO) is neither Scott or Phoenix, just that its concept is actually a "mash-up" of Spartacus and Ben-Hur; meaning, really nothing new to see. Plus it stars that dreadful Crowe.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #99 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Malcolm_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CLASSIFIED
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Just passed the commentary on Alien (Quad Set) and Ridley mentions twice his take on the Space Jockey. The ship is military and the eggs are a weapons cache, ready to be deployed.

So maybe that screenwriter was smart and listened to that commentary before pitching his idea for the prequel.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Malcolm_B is offline  
post #100 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

"Oh, Maximus, wook at how sweaty and muscuwar you are. I just want to wub my hands all ovew you. But fewst I must pricky pricky prick you with my wittle poison bwade. And then I must mowest my nephew. Because I'm soooooooo eeeeeevil. Tee hee hee..."

Gladiator sucks. Hard. It should have won the Razzie in 2000, not the Oscar.

Ok, I've stayed away from the whole Gladiator argument, but this cracked me up, so I'll come clean.

Gladiator sucked the sack - The BALL SACK (to quote an equally impressive movie, Transformers 2). It was cheese at it's finest, with an equal amount of absolutely NOTHING good about it. It blew like a fart in the wind. I can see where it would be appealing, and at one time (for a short while), I liked it too. Not now. Not in the least.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #101 of 2416 Old 08-02-2009, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post


no mention of the cool movie The Duelists? - for shame for shame. ;-). Harvey Kietel(sp) is sssssssssssooooooooooo good in that one! superb cinematography too.

Geez, my mistake...I complete forgot that film.
And, yeah, a terrific film.

Quote:


I actually liked Body of Lies more than most of those in the list above.

My main complaint is the ending.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #102 of 2416 Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

So because you didn't enjoy Joaquin's performance (which I - like most everyone else - found creepy/disturbing and very effective) then the whole movie sucked hard? =/

Gladiator sucked for a billion reasons. That's just the most egregious of them.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #103 of 2416 Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Gladiator sucked for a billion reasons. That's just the most egregious of them.

Phoenix's performance aside, the Romans were very creepy people to begin with.
I would be willing to bet anyone today that stoked up a Time Machine would be most unhappy after a quick trip to Rome.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #104 of 2416 Old 08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Raptorsys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
OK, first up, the best of the series was, in MY view, Alien -- the original. Why? Well the other ones were ACTION movies whereas Alien was a scifi HORROR movie that used suspence, mood, lighting, PACE etc to BUILD to something bigger. The other movies, however well made, were just action movies.

Now, if there is going to be a new movie, a prequel, then please god let it make heavy use of Geiger's artwork and tell us how the space jockey got there. I want a DARK, stylistic piece that scares us obliquely without stooping for the action movie method. Give the audience time to scare themselves with what they THINK might happen instead of hitting them over the head with gun wielding types spraying bullets in all directions without end.

The original movie was not, however, all that original in concept! Some of you may remember "It! The terror from beyond space!" and it would be hard to view Alien without seeing many of the plot tricks in the ITTFBS in Alien. For me, the thing that put Alien over the top was H.R. Geiger. The scene were they discover the space jockey is, amazing, and I want to know who he/she/IT was and how IT got there. Also of interest is how the company knew about it.


Brian
Raptorsys is offline  
post #105 of 2416 Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
gaffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Romans (outside of the Nobility - i.e. power corrupts - same corruption that the English and French nobility suffered many centuries later) as a people were quite civilized. They had the sense to learn from the Greeks before them, in both philosophical ideas and hard science, not to mention art and architecture. I'm sure they learn how to fight better due to their troubles with the Goths and Gauls too.

Romans always had the ability to take other's land and take from the conquered people the most valuable traits they had. They also had the wisdom to offer those same conquored people Roman citizenship. They were a smart and adaptable people. Their concept of "Roman citizenship" was the first in the world and served the "apostle" Paul well - many times.

Italians? - well...............that is another story ;-/.
gaffo is offline  
post #106 of 2416 Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
gaffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There can be only one!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081764/

;-).
gaffo is offline  
post #107 of 2416 Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post

first off the alien body was fossilized, so that "should" rule out any human contact that could re-date that ships crash landing.

shoudl be about a small settler ship that lands in the Alien home planet and all humans die - not word of the fate back on Earth, thus no knowledge of human contact with alien lifeform back on earth

We have no idea of how fast things gets "fossilized" on LV426, since it's not Earth, our time tables may not have much merits there.

Your scenario should include the company in there somehow as it did know about the Alien in the first film.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #108 of 2416 Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorsys View Post

OK, first up, the best of the series was, in MY view, Alien -- the original. Why? Well the other ones were ACTION movies whereas Alien was a scifi HORROR movie that used suspence, mood, lighting, PACE etc to BUILD to something bigger. The other movies, however well made, were just action movies.

Now, if there is going to be a new movie, a prequel, then please god let it make heavy use of Geiger's artwork and tell us how the space jockey got there. I want a DARK, stylistic piece that scares us obliquely without stooping for the action movie method. Give the audience time to scare themselves with what they THINK might happen instead of hitting them over the head with gun wielding types spraying bullets in all directions without end.

The original movie was not, however, all that original in concept! Some of you may remember "It! The terror from beyond space!" and it would be hard to view Alien without seeing many of the plot tricks in the ITTFBS in Alien. For me, the thing that put Alien over the top was H.R. Geiger. The scene were they discover the space jockey is, amazing, and I want to know who he/she/IT was and how IT got there. Also of interest is how the company knew about it.


Brian

Alien 3 wasn't an action movie. It was far more similar to Alien than Aliens, and in my opinion, highly underrated. It was a very very good movie that got looked over I feel, because everyone wanted a bigger, better Aliens. But if Alien 3 had come out first, it would most certainly be more talked about and revered.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

lordcloud is offline  
post #109 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post

The Romans (outside of the Nobility - i.e. power corrupts - same corruption that the English and French nobility suffered many centuries later) as a people were quite civilized. They had the sense to learn from the Greeks before them, in both philosophical ideas and hard science, not to mention art and architecture. I'm sure they learn how to fight better due to their troubles with the Goths and Gauls too.

Romans always had the ability to take other's land and take from the conquered people the most valuable traits they had. They also had the wisdom to offer those same conquered people Roman citizenship. They were a smart and adaptable people. Their concept of "Roman citizenship" was the first in the world and served the "apostle" Paul well - many times.

Are you talking about the Romans?
Those folks that thought violence against the weak was a cool form of entertainment?
That believed slaughtering their weaker neighbors for their gold and stuff was a civic duty?
That anyone who wasn't a Roman was a barbarian that deserved whatever fate the Empire thought was appropriate?

The reality is they were a morally bankrupt people with little sense of compassion for others.
That is why they were "creepy."


Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

Alien 3 wasn't an action movie. It was far more similar to Alien than Aliens.

I agree...definitely not an action movie.
And I believe it to be the most OVER-RATED of the 4 films.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #110 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Alien: Phenomenal horror movie with great direction and acting throughout.
Aliens: Fine action movie with plenty of visual treats and lots of fun to experience.
Alien^3: Atmospheric, moody, bleak, and bold. Should have been the end. Highly underrated.
Alien Res.: Trash. Only one worthwhile scene in the entire movie (when Ripley encountered failed res attempts).
AvP and Requiem: Didn't watch; cannot comment.

Alien Prequel: Ridley Scott makes great movies, so I am hopeful for this project. The logical storyline would include telling how the derelict got into the situation they were in at the start of the 1979 film.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is offline  
post #111 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Raptorsys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Alien: Phenomenal horror movie with great direction and acting throughout.
Aliens: Fine action movie with plenty of visual treats and lots of fun to experience.
Alien^3: Atmospheric, moody, bleak, and bold. Should have been the end. Highly underrated.
Alien Res.: Trash. Only one worthwhile scene in the entire movie (when Ripley encountered failed res attempts).
AvP and Requiem: Didn't watch; cannot comment.

Alien Prequel: Ridley Scott makes great movies, so I am hopeful for this project. The logical storyline would include telling how the derelict got into the situation they were in at the start of the 1979 film.

Exactly, and I want to know how the company knew about it. Also, make greater use of H.R. Geiger's artwork.


Brian
Raptorsys is offline  
post #112 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lordcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Alien: Phenomenal horror movie with great direction and acting throughout.
Aliens: Fine action movie with plenty of visual treats and lots of fun to experience.
Alien^3: Atmospheric, moody, bleak, and bold. Should have been the end. Highly underrated.
Alien Res.: Trash. Only one worthwhile scene in the entire movie (when Ripley encountered failed res attempts).
AvP and Requiem: Didn't watch; cannot comment.

Alien Prequel: Ridley Scott makes great movies, so I am hopeful for this project. The logical storyline would include telling how the derelict got into the situation they were in at the start of the 1979 film.

I think they can make a hundred of these movies, the aliens themselves are so damned interesting and the storyline possibilities are infinite. It would just depend on how well they were made and how interesting they are. I have extremely high hopes for the prequel.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

lordcloud is offline  
post #113 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I agree...definitely not an action movie.
And I believe it to be the most OVER-RATED of the 4 films.

On one hand, A3 had a great concept in that guns weren't fired-off every five minutes; they had to use their brains. On the other hand, it completely negates the awesome finale "transfomer-battle" between Ripley and the Queen in A2. As someone here previously mentioned, she went through all that to save Newt....and it was for nothing?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #114 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

On one hand, A3 had a great concept in that guns weren't fired-off every five minutes; they had to use their brains. On the other hand, it completely negates the awesome finale "transfomer-battle" between Ripley and the Queen in A2. As someone here previously mentioned, she went through all that to save Newt....and it was for nothing?

It wasn't for nothing. Ripley did it because she obviously felt close to Newt, very close. Close enough to risk her life to go back and save her. $hit happens. Newt died.

I like the fact that Newt died to start it off. Her dying was just as probable as her living and it got away from the stupidly positive typical Hollywood movie where all the main characters live to see another day. It almost reminded me of a foreign movie in that way.

It was also a good way to make it not only Ripley vs the alien, but to start off, Ripley vs the inmates, and overall it just made the mood of the movie bleaker and more somber and I think it struck a chord emotionally.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

lordcloud is offline  
post #115 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post


I like the fact that Newt died to start it off. Her dying was just as probable as her living and it got away from the stupidly positive typical Hollywood movie where all the main characters live to see another day. It almost reminded me of a foreign movie in that way.

It was also a good way to make it not only Ripley vs the alien, but to start off, Ripley vs the inmates.

After all Ripley went thru and yet, Newt dies after being heroically rescue.
Tragic, but not inconceivable (no one ever said: life is fair).

The problem with A3, IMO, is not only the execution of plot; it is also the basic story itself.
Landing on a prison planet is one thing...landing on a prison planet ostensibly run by religiously-crazed inmates is another.
A seriously lame and flawed plot can only go so far before it becomes silly.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #116 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

After all Ripley went thru and yet, Newt dies after being heroically rescue.
Tragic, but not inconceivable (no one ever said: life is fair).

The problem with A3, IMO, is not only the execution of plot; it is also the basic story itself.
Landing on a prison planet is one thing...landing on a prison planet ostensibly run by religiously-crazed inmates is another.
A seriously lame and flawed plot can only go so far before it becomes silly.

I must say that I found NOTHING good about number 3. Furthermore, after recently catching Aliens on cable, damn.......talk about large amounts of cheese. Time wasn't kind to that movie for me.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #117 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,307
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorsys View Post

OK, first up, the best of the series was, in MY view, Alien -- the original. Why? Well the other ones were ACTION movies whereas Alien was a scifi HORROR movie that used suspence, mood, lighting, PACE etc to BUILD to something bigger. The other movies, however well made, were just action movies.

Now, if there is going to be a new movie, a prequel, then please god let it make heavy use of Geiger's artwork and tell us how the space jockey got there. I want a DARK, stylistic piece that scares us obliquely without stooping for the action movie method. Give the audience time to scare themselves with what they THINK might happen instead of hitting them over the head with gun wielding types spraying bullets in all directions without end.

The original movie was not, however, all that original in concept! Some of you may remember "It! The terror from beyond space!" and it would be hard to view Alien without seeing many of the plot tricks in the ITTFBS in Alien. For me, the thing that put Alien over the top was H.R. Geiger. The scene were they discover the space jockey is, amazing, and I want to know who he/she/IT was and how IT got there. Also of interest is how the company knew about it.


Brian

Great post and if done right, this is the film, this is the prequel in all it's glory !

My HT


iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #118 of 2416 Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The problem with A3, IMO, is not only the execution of plot; it is also the basic story itself.
Landing on a prison planet is one thing...landing on a prison planet ostensibly run by religiously-crazed inmates is another.
A seriously lame and flawed plot can only go so far before it becomes silly.

I liked it to start out (particularly the somber FOX theme), but sure, it in the end, it comes up seriously short. I mean, smoking a cigar while simultaneously lacquering the subterranean hallways with petroleum? This time, they had to rely on brains instead of guns, but they didn't use their brains....

Anyways, Newt's death did nothing to help this movie. But I guess we can console ourselves in the fact that the inmates didn't get their dirty hands on her.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #119 of 2416 Old 08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ChrisMcCarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Peoria Illinois
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Are you talking about the Romans?
Those folks that thought violence against the weak was a cool form of entertainment?
That believed slaughtering their weaker neighbors for their gold and stuff was a civic duty?
That anyone who wasn't a Roman was a barbarian that deserved whatever fate the Empire thought was appropriate?

The reality is they were a morally bankrupt people with little sense of compassion for others.


To be fair they were a violent people to everyone, themselves included. Then again, show a successful people of that period which was not violent.

The morally bankrupt period began when they started losing their republic and became an empire. This happened when the government started buying votes through bread and entertainment and was allowed to become completely corrupt....Should sound famaliar.

Chris.

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
ChrisMcCarthy is offline  
post #120 of 2416 Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

...after recently catching Aliens on cable, damn.......talk about large amounts of cheese. Time wasn't kind to that movie for me.

Aliens "cheese" was tasty! "Game over, Dude!"

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off