Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I saw Prometheus tonight (in 2D). My impressions:

Well...I wasn't bored! My eyes and brain were kept riveted every minute of the movie. So I actually ended up enjoying it quite a bit, despite it's many flaws. It's strengths were part of it's flaws and visa versa. One flaw was it was a rather chaotic script in terms of cramming together ideas, moods and action sequences. But for perhaps the same reason, and due to how wonderful it is to view new worlds the way Ridley presents them, there was the constant element of "ok, what is he going to show me in the next minute?' So, not a moment of boredom for me.

It's interesting that there are one portion of reviewers that state that not a lot happens in the movie, at least for quite a while, as if it's a more stately, cerebral, slow burn movie that may not be suited for this generation. Other reviews paint it as a constantly moving, slam-bang mess. Both are sort of right IMO. If you are looking at it from the point of view of contemporary movie-making and it's cut-to-the-chase aesthetic, then the build up to the action DOES seem paced and slower. But if you are coming from the mindset of having immersed yourself many times in the TRULY slow burn sci-fi movies of the past, 2001 and, yes, Alien, then Prometheus rolls along at a more contemporary pace. The opening scene, and the follow up travel of the ship show that dichotomy. These are often pointed out as some of the strongest moments of the movie by reviewers and movie patrons, and they were my favorite moments. When you have the camera just prowl the space ship, and you are simply an observer - watching David bid his time with various activities. It's great that Ridley gave us some of that...but it still wasn't done steady nerve of the first Alien (or Bladerunner). I just wanted shots - inside the ship and exterior travel shots - to last longer, to linger on. When shots cut too fast it cuts short the "immersion" factor into the film were you have time to observe details and think. I think too much of this makes movie-makers too nervous these days - God help if they even RISK boring anyone in the audience!
Ridley showed more nerve than most contemporary directors in this movie - but not quite the resolve of his old self. Maybe with the expense and risk of movies these days we just can't go back there again, which is too bad. But I think this is wrong - it seemed clear from the audience I was with, and the reviews, that it was these atmospheric, contemplative, observational moments in which the movie bloomed and made it's impression.

Anyway...

Beautiful cinematography of course. I came out of the movie still feeling in a "Ridley Scott" world as I drove through the city home - where everything, city streets, signs, seemed new and heightened simply because my senses had been taught to observe and appreciate mood, mis en scene and light play over the past two hours, due to Scott's cinematic style. The same way I did with Alien and Bladerunner, and that in itself says a lot of positive things about the experience. I found the interior and exterior of the shipe the most satisfying production design of the movie. The Engineer area, though neat, did strike me as a bit set-like and a bit too-clean version of done-before Alien landscape. Also, having just watched Alien a few days ago, this was one of those cases of seeing how much necessity brings to the table of classic, older movies. Budget-wise in Alien, Scott had little choice but to constantly put much of the set and landscapes and ship into deep shadows - much easier to sell the sets and suggest much more. So there was a much grittier, more solid, real and threatening aspect to the look of Alien. Whereas in general Prometheus was more evenly lit. Some of this no doubt had to do with the fact they had to over-light for 3D (requires more on-set light level - you have to get all the details exposed). So Scott said they had to actually add more atmospheric darkness and shadow in post production. Still, it had more of that perfection - of things rarely dropping truly off into darkness, always seeing details even in shadows - that you get with full CGI movies (I mean CGI animation), rather than being on set and just letting details blow out in high lights or fall into dead shadow. That, combined with the pace and editing meant for me the movie wasn't remotely tense or scary. You could always see everything pretty well, and what could have been creepy moments came hurtling at you pace-wise, without any of the slow moody build up of Alien (or other effective chiller movies). Alien scared us and Scott promised to do it again, but he just didn't have the same technique. Simply coming up with a weird creature or gross idea isn't enough - they are a dime a dozen. It's the old-style technique of paying attention to set up and mood, of slowly turning the screws tighter, that goes missing in so many movies today.

The score, though never creepy, occasionally actually soared somewhat (I went along with it for David and the holograms of the universe moments). And for most of the movie I just didn't notice it much so at least it didn't ruin it for me.

Of course the lack of logic and seemingly unmotivated character moves in the movie could fill a whole review in of itself. But things kept moving along at a pace that swept me along for the ride anyway. Michael Fassbender just hits it out of the park as
the robot Michael. Wow it's amazing watching a great actor do magic with the simplest lines. Every time he was on screen the movie was elevated to the movie you hoped it was going to be. Fassbender's intelligence as an actor raised the IQ of the movie during his scenes. And when others spoke...it tended to descend from the heights again on the path to mediocrity. That's the experience for me, and it seems so many, of watching this movie: it's constant reminder of what could have been, mixed with the sobering reality of what we got. Another thing is I wasn't thrilled with the reveal (SPOILER AHEAD?) of who the Space Jockey was (were). One of the pleasures of Alien was Giger's eccentric, puzzling, surprising design and the truly odd-looking elephantine Space Jockey was a perfect example. God that thing was just so...so...alien-looking, so weird. Geiger (btw, isn't cool that spell checkers actually have his name in the data base?) could surprise you with things in the way one may actually be surprised by, and unsettled by, the forms of Aliens. You simply could not help but wonder what that being actually looked like and moved like when it was alive. But in this film you find out...oh...that bizarre and original looking visage was just a helmet, and underneath was a boring, standard-issue human looking face. For Alien fans this could be their "midichlorians" reveal - something either best left unexplained...or at least..better explained!

As for whether the film is intelligent or not. Well...it tries to be thematically. But it sort of feels like the work of someone asking Big Questions without ever having cracked a philosophy book. It may feel profound, but it's a pretty shallow treatment of those profound questions. Sort of like someone asking the questions, but without the intellectual depth or firepower to really get into them, or offer any answers. In which case the questions can end up feeling no more "intelligent" than the stoner smoking a spliff looking up at the stars and intoning "Hey man, ever wonder why, like, there's something insteada nothing, or even why we're here....? " And then losing focus and he's off looking for munchies.

I love the concept of "What if it turns out our creator actually hates us!" But it wasn't explored with much depth. Further, one perfect example of where this movie makes the choice either to continue along the profound idea it sets up, or descend into cheap thrills, is when (SPOILER ALERT!) David and Weyland etc wake up the Engineer. The engineer has the look of what could be an advanced, thoughtful being. And for a moment, as he wakes, as the characters look expectantly at him for answers, and as the music swells, it feels like it is just about to move into the sort of profound, contemplative, intelligent moment, some high-minded exchange, that makes for great science fiction. But then the Engineer instead just turns into HULK SMASH!...grunting away, going bonkers, and the movie shows it's cards - better give 'em action, at any cost, or they'll get bored. Sigh.

And what a shame that what went missing in a Science Fiction movie was...the science! None of the scientists actually acted like scientists, or practiced any science whatsoever - bizarre for a movie that purportedly had so many scientific (and engineer) advisers.

Charlize Theron turned out to be as brutally one-note (not her fault, no doubt) as I expected. With ONE exception, her scene with the Captain (Idris Elba), where for that moment she got to let her hair down and both people becomes human...rather than standard issue script-spewing ciphers like much of the cast. In fact I did a turn around with Idris Elba. I didn't like what I saw of him in the trailers but he turned out to be the most relaxed, most humanizing and natural presence on the ship, and I welcomed his scenes.

Admittedly this probably ends up sounding pretty negative, but as I started out saying, I was actually surprised and happy how much fun I had watching the movie. My friend who loves sci-fi but who is pretty squeamish, did a lot of sinking in his seat and averting his eyes during the gross-out moments, looking at me with wide eyes like "Man, this is hard to watch." The audience applauded lightly at the end. My friend, who knew nothing about the movie going in, was confused about his feelings for the movie "It didn't seem sure of what it wanted to be." But I came out happy at just how entertained I was, and happy to live for a while longer in the mental residue it created, and for that much I was happy to have seen another Ridley Scott film.

I might go see it in 3D, and it was a forgone conclusion that I'd look forward to owning it on Blu-Ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Flat out bombastic epic film making in the highest quality I kid you not. It takes a lot for me these days head out to the theaters but this itch was too big to ignore. This coming from a person who have only seen 4 movies in the theaters in the past 10 yrs..LOTR, KB vol 1, Avatar, and Prometheus being the most rewarding and satisfying.
I can see why folks who love Avatar, Kill Bill Vol 1, Titanic, Dark of the moon will not like this because this doesn't spell everything out for them like a pop up book, it's a grand novel that makes you think. It's for the dreamers, thinkers, visionaries, that are tired of formulas and predictable movies time and time over again. And all the plot holes and unanswered questions you hear or read about them happens for a reason which "I believe" like Shaw did will be answered in due time so don't worry about that, it doesn't matter anyways because there's so much more to love.
Alien was iconic for it's time and is better is some ways, but in other ways Prometheus encompasses it and is superior in ways modern film making allows for. My god I have seen things in this film I've never seen before. I was captured from the 1st minute to the last scene, my eyes were stretched wide open the whole time taking it all in and 2 hrs honest to god felt like 45 min. The F/X and visuals in Avatar or Dark of the moon were great but they seem artificial and machine like where as Prometheus feels organic and natural. Seriously, I couldn't tell you before who I think is the greatest director of all time but after seeing this I can now say IMPO it is Ridley scott, he is the effin man, king of all films. I mean l love Pulp fiction for it's brilliant script but Tarantino or nobody can produce a film like this, not even JC. Sorry I could not simply give my feedback in couple of sentences just like RS cannot make this film in 2 hrs. He opened up the biggest can of worms no pun intended which I thank him for more amazing things to come.

LOL I don't know why but your comments made me smile zoey and I agree 1000%. I'm not sure I'd say he's the greatest director of all time cause there are probably 2 or 3 guys out there who are/were not bad either but I agree. wink.gif
dimi1963 likes this.
post #1173 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

That would be a mistake from my POV.

That's ok ill wait till blu ray.

Frank

post #1174 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I just saw this in a "real" 15/70 IMAX. It was jaw droppingly gorgeous. No one can do visuals like Sir Scott. The 3D was one of the best, if not the best I've seen. And the audio was insane. This will melt some HTs when it's released on blu. Story wise, I enjoyed it. Keep in mind I ignored all press and reviews. I'm still in the process of digesting it though. I most certainly will have questions.
Franin, if you have an IMAX or theater like it in your neck of the woods, I highly recommend seeing it there.
Edit: After seeing this, I have a huge craving to watch my blu-ray of Alien.

Amazon has it up for pre oder ill wait for that.

Frank

post #1175 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

If you wait, I believe you would be doing yourself a disservice. Prometheus is the best 3-D production I've seen, since Avatar.

Do they have IMAX in Australia?

post #1176 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm sure it will look and sound fabulous on Blu-ray but this is a movie that has to be watched at the theater at least once.
post #1177 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

If you wait, I believe you would be doing yourself a disservice. Prometheus is the best 3-D production I've seen, since Avatar.
Do they have IMAX in Australia?

They certainly do.smile.gif I didn't even watch Avatar in the theatres also so im not too fussed.

Frank

post #1178 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Absolutely. If I had enough foresight I would have done just that. Lol. My Alien box set is still sealed.redface.gif This will give me an excuse to finally open it and watch it. Game over, man! Game over.tongue.gif

Oh god, that is one of the classic quotes from my childhood.

Art Shy (a buddy of mine) saying again and again: Game over, man! GAME OVER!!! (Quote from Aliens?)

Yes, that was one of the wonderful things about this film that so many missed, all the 'hat tips' to other classic films where they took 'just a little something' from each and incorporated it into Prometheus.

It's why the movie is worth watching multiple times, especially in IMAX 3D.

My brain simply could not process what was being presented on so many different levels all at once. Usually I'll go into a movie like The Avengers and just watch it 'for fun' the first time. Then watch it again once or twice more to catch what I 'missed'.

With this I felt like I was analyzing it on the first pass, due to the absolute beauty of finally properly implemented 3D, and the staggering use of subsonic 'sounds', and I feel like I missed a good bit of the 'fun'/story.

Must see again, today. =]

P.S. If you feel like you've been 'saved' by not going to see this in IMAX, even though you had free tickets, you've really missed out. By missed out I mean like: Passing up that chance to hit it with Nicky Whelan if you were Owen Wilson and had a hall pass.

You'll regret it. ;]

Sports? Yes! Racing and Skydiving, because other sports like tennis, football and soccer only need one ball!
post #1179 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 AM

What are the limitations of the Blu-ray format? Can it support things like 48 frames per second? (As Peter Jackson intends to use in The Hobbit)? Can it support 60 frames per second as James Cameron wants to upcharge for in future movies? Can it support an additional sub-sonic track that if 'felt' like it was used in Prometheus? Can it support 4x 1080p resolution?

And of course, will there be enough space on the disc? Will there be firmware upgrades, or will we need to buy new players, and of course projectors?

I'm planning on upgrading my HT 133" projection system from 2d to 3d (polarized, not active shutter), but I also want to 'future proof' it where I won't box myself in by not being able to show The Hobbit or Prometheus in all it's glory.

Sports? Yes! Racing and Skydiving, because other sports like tennis, football and soccer only need one ball!
post #1180 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer42 View Post

What are the limitations of the Blu-ray format? Can it support things like 48 frames per second? (As Peter Jackson intends to use in The Hobbit)? Can it support 60 frames per second as James Cameron wants to upcharge for in future movies?

Not in 1080P.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #1181 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

And what a shame that what went missing in a Science Fiction movie was...the science! None of the scientists actually acted like scientists, or practiced any science whatsoever - bizarre for a movie that purportedly had so many scientific (and engineer) advisers.

They seemed to understand how to turn on a few toys. Beyond that, a clueless bunch.

Thanks for the review
post #1182 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 64
For those on the fence or waiting for the BD let me say this. As you know I have zero propensity to see a good movie in the theaters as my total of 4 since 2001 walks my talk. People have time and time over told me things like Oh I need to see such and such Titanic, Avatar on the big screen but I quietly just say ok but in my mind I know that is not the case for me as I have always enjoyed it as much in my HT.

BUT...with my Prometheus that is not the case. This is not your typical film. It is not a romantic movie, not an action, it is a SCI -Fi revelation that reaches unlimited scope and grandeur that will be appreciated in a big stadium screen,..the bigger the better. So if you plan on getting the BD or seeing it on dvd... beg, borrow and steal $11 and head out to the best stadium cinema in your area and you'll be transported to another universe.
Djoel likes this.
post #1183 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I had a great time watching this film! I wish I could have seen it in IMAX but I saw it in 3d via a Sony 4K auditorium.

Same here. Do to financial reasons, I did not want to pay the upcharge for IMAX lite 3D.
post #1184 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've seen Avatar 3-D but was disappointed at how often it looks like pop-up book (2-D images in different layers). To those who's seen this movie in 3-D, how is it compared to Avatar 3-D?
post #1185 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanythingrock View Post

i had free IMAX tickets but all the negative reviews kept me from wasting my time
oh well

I would go to the theater and tell them you couldn't make it and something unforeseeable came up, and get another free ticket....

No one is going to tell me what I'll like or don't, make your own mind up..

Djoel
post #1186 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
EVERYBODY... HANDS UP!

just a great movie. I was apprehensive because of all the negative luke warm comments, this film delivers!

I think pacing was the only issue here... everything seemed rushed and time compressed. I could have watched a more realistic 3.5-4.5 hour movie and enjoyed every second of it.

Props to the wondrous Star Trek inspired sound track.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #1187 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I can see why folks who love Avatar, Kill Bill Vol 1, Titanic, Dark of the moon will not like this because this doesn't spell everything out for them like a pop up book, it's a grand novel that makes you think

Avatar told a great story. Yes a simple but great story that resonated with the human family. A great story doesn't have to be complex. James Cameron, did a great job on Avatar. He did a great job with Aliens. When it comes to directing or filmmaking, in my opinion, Scott is not in the same league with Cameron. Cameron took Alien and made Aliens which is still considered one of the few sequels that exceeded the original.

Darkside of the moon was garbage!! I mean what was the message the in it, how a nerd can be hero and end up with a supermodel? I don't know how you can mention that in the same breath with a masterpiece like Avatar.
post #1188 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:

That was do to the problematic screenplay and directing.
post #1189 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

I've seen Avatar 3-D but was disappointed at how often it looks like pop-up book (2-D images in different layers). To those who's seen this movie in 3-D, how is it compared to Avatar 3-D?

Ahhh I thought that was 3D all about the POP up look, but I have to say seeing both in Imax 3D Prometheus looked more natural/organic, which I had for got I was looking at a 3D film...

Djoel
post #1190 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

(SPOILER ALERT!) David and Weyland etc wake up the Engineer. The engineer has the look of what could be an advanced, thoughtful being. And for a moment, as he wakes, as the characters look expectantly at him for answers, and as the music swells, it feels like it is just about to move into the sort of profound, contemplative, intelligent moment, some high-minded exchange, that makes for great science fiction. But then the Engineer instead just turns into HULK SMASH!...grunting away, going bonkers, and the movie shows it's cards - better give 'em action, at any cost, or they'll get bored. Sigh.

(spoilers...) Maybe you can look at it this way... the Hulk-smash Engineers, as you put it, are not at the top of the food chain. Whoever is will be what the sequel will explore. If you go to a stranger's home and are attacked in the front yard by the guard dog, that doesn't tell you what to expect when you enter the house.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #1191 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Admittedly this probably ends up sounding pretty negative, but as I started out saying, I was actually surprised and happy how much fun I had watching the movie. My friend who loves sci-fi but who is pretty squeamish, did a lot of sinking in his seat and averting his eyes during the gross-out moments, looking at me with wide eyes like "Man, this is hard to watch." The audience applauded lightly at the end. My friend, who knew nothing about the movie going in, was confused about his feelings for the movie "It didn't seem sure of what it wanted to be." But I came out happy at just how entertained I was, and happy to live for a while longer in the mental residue it created, and for that much I was happy to have seen another Ridley Scott film.
I might go see it in 3D, and it was a forgone conclusion that I'd look forward to owning it on Blu-Ray.
Great review, thanx Rich.cool.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #1192 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I found this little interesting link:
http://news.moviefone.com/2012/06/06/sci-fi-biggest-movie-mistakes_n_1575509.html

post #1193 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 AM

I feel your pain.

Having just bought our first house, we're 'house' poor.

But, I donate blood at our local bloodbank every 8 weeks, and have for many years.

They now give 'rewards' points that you can redeem for all sorts of things. I used to get t-shirts for the wife, but they have free movie tickets now too!

Up to a $24 value for 2 movie tickets, and that even counts for 3D productions and such. (Not sure if it would work at IMAX, haven't tried that yet).

Also we like to get discount tickets at Costco, they're like $7.50 there, and sometimes there's an up charge for 3D.

Skip the popcorn and smuggle in your own snacks/drinks and you can go see this fairly inexpensively.

post #1194 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Quote:
I can see why folks who love Avatar, Kill Bill Vol 1, Titanic, Dark of the moon will not like this because this doesn't spell everything out for them like a pop up book, it's a grand novel that makes you think
Avatar told a great story. Yes a simple but great story that resonated with the human family. A great story doesn't have to be complex. James Cameron, did a great job on Avatar. He did a great job with Aliens. When it comes to directing or filmmaking, in my opinion, Scott is not in the same league with Cameron. Cameron took Alien and made Aliens which is still considered one of the few sequels that exceeded the original.
Darkside of the moon was garbage!! I mean what was the message the in it, how a nerd can be hero and end up with a supermodel? I don't know how you can mention that in the same breath with a masterpiece like Avatar.

I hope you don't feel like I constantly pick on you about Avatar, that's not my goal! wink.gif.... but its success to me was mostly due to the 3D and the hype surrounding it. It's not great science fiction by any means, it's just a great action movie in a sci-fi universe. James Cameron made 2 movies that I consider "masterpieces", The Terminator and Titanic. The rest are great movies, amazing spectacles, but not 'masterpieces'. Avatar is no masterpiece. It's a technical marvel. Don't get me wrong I love JC but when it comes to "science-fiction", true science-fiction, Ridley Scott is the most visionary and skilled filmmaker compared to JC.
adrift likes this.
post #1195 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer42 View Post

Also we like to get discount tickets at Costco, they're like $7.50 there, and sometimes there's an up charge for 3D.
HUH?
Costco sells discount movie theater tickets?
I wasn't aware of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

James Cameron made 2 movies that I consider "masterpieces", The Terminator and Titanic. The rest are great movies, amazing spectacles, but not 'masterpieces'. Avatar is no masterpiece. It's a technical marvel. Don't get me wrong I love JC but when it comes to "science-fiction", true science-fiction, Ridley Scott is the most visionary and skilled filmmaker compared to JC.
OK, now you've done it.....tongue.gif

post #1196 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

(spoilers...) Maybe you can look at it this way... the Hulk-smash Engineers, as you put it, are not at the top of the food chain. Whoever is will be what the sequel will explore. If you go to a stranger's home and are attacked in the front yard by the guard dog, that doesn't tell you what to expect when you enter the house.

Yup there was a certain urgency, all means necessary !
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And after being woken up two Millenniums he was pissed, would love to know what David said which in all actualities set him off. Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder, need to finish out orders.

Djoel
post #1197 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I have a controversial theory I'd like to propose.

I think Prometheus might be a disguised spoof of famous sci-fi films.
I suspect that Ridley Scott did it as a big middle finger to producers. Scott has a long history of bad relationships with producers and I suspect that this was his way of putting one over on them. I'm thinking that he was having trouble getting money, so he decided that the one guaranteed way to get money was to do another film for the Aliens franchise. And to get his revenge, he turned it into a spoof.

This film is chock full of what appear to be winks and nods at other films, but I think Scott isn't winking and nodding, he's spoofing:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The archeological dig - Fifth Element and 2001
(and weren't there five planets in that pictograph?)
The computer talking to David - Hal9000 and David Bowman from 2001
Noomi in band-aid underwear - Fifth Element
The refusal to open the door - 2001
The phallic worms and the squids that shove their phallic tentacles down people's throats - Japanese Hentai (anime pron)
The Neil Armstrong quote.
The med unit - just like the med unit that "reassembles" Leeloo in Fifth Element
(BTW, has anyone figured out why Vickers -a woman- had a med unit that was only "calibrated" for men?)
The meeting of the Creator theme - Bladerunner
The Creator kills the son - a twist on the son kills the Creator in Bladerunner
The "I want more life" theme - Bladerunner
Tons of Alien references of course.
Tons of stuff I'm sure I missed.
And then there's all the plot holes and lack of explanation of motives.

But the scene that really triggered this theory for me is the final scene where the android and the human drive off into the sunset just like in the Theatrical cut for Bladerunner. Scott said he hated that scene and it pissed him off to no end that the producers made him put it in. So why the heck does he use the same ending in Prometheus? This has to be a spoof, right?

If there's a unicorn somewhere in Prothemeus, which I missed, it would completely prove my theory. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1198 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 266
Having seen it in 2D last night, I think I might see it in 3D tonight, since I enjoy immersing myself in Ridley-world.

That said: this film does not reward reflection. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. I mean that on every conceivable level - plot, logic, characterization. The number of silly moves made by this movie as elucidated by discussions on various blogs and forums is more mind-bogglingly long than any I've seen, save Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's like "Science" Fiction created by people who wouldn't know science if it hypothesized, tested and peer-reviewed them in the ass. It just seems like a bunch of standard cliche and plot devices thrown together without regard to actual logical characterization "We need someone to be a hard ass - so here's a character reading his/her lines like a hardass, for no apparent reason. We need someone to be the first alien victim..so here's someone who'll do something incredibly stupid, just to end up a victim."

I think someone on another blog nailed it with this: "In pretty much every scene the characters actions were unbelievable and/or their motivations were stupid. Everyone was a cypher to make sure Mr Scott could construct his set pieces. It was put together as if he had a list of imagery he wanted to create so they nailed a script together to let him. The actors did their best, especially Fassbender, but for me it showed how little chance you have in the face of a totally incoherent script."

Of the many groaner cliches was the typical story device of exposition placed in a ridiculous situation, just so the audience won't get bored. There's such a fear of exposition and boring an audience that it's a typical lazy move. The example in Prometheus is: Opening dawn of time scene. Then geologists uncovering cave paintings. Then...better not waste any more time or the audience will get bored, so here in the script let's cut directly to the space ship Prometheus in travel!" So when does the exposition happen in regards to the significance of the cave paintings take place? On the ship YEARS into the journey. In other words, you have all these scientists, part of a trillion dollar mission (imagine the planning that normally has to go into such a mission), already having spent years in a sleeping chamber...and it's only after they wake up and are practically bumping into the planet on the other side of the universe that they start getting informed of what they are doing and why. This clumsy placement of exposition means we have to accept that idea that none of them have a CLUE why they are there until this point! Could there be anything less scientific, less intelligent, less indicative of careful planning, just less believable than this? (Unfortunately, the movie provides countless competing-for-that-title moments).

But...again...pretty pictures...and a wonderful robot....so off I go again.
post #1199 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Unfortunately for me, ALL 3D movies look like this to me. So I usually avoid them at all costs anymore. The effect is worsened with dark films such as Prometheus. I want to like 3D but I can't. frown.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1200 of 2394 Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

.... The example in Prometheus is: Opening dawn of time scene. Then geologists uncovering cave paintings. Then...better not waste any more time or the audience will get bored, so here in the script let's cut directly to the space ship Prometheus in travel!" ....

2001: Opening dawn of time scene. A protohuman throws a bone into the air and we cut directly to a space ship in flight.

The more I think about it the more I believe that, Prometheus is a disguised spoof film. Just like Scarey Movie spoofed horror films. And that's why there's no plot or logic or character motivation. It's just a bunch of spoof scenes of other sci-fi films.

Heck, I'm surprised they didn't play Immigrant Song when the black oily looking stuff was taking over the Engineer since that scene looked just like the opening of Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. But I guess that might have been too obvious and revealed the spoof. biggrin.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page