Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 2394 Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

You hate the movie so much, you're going to watch it twice? That'll show 'em.

Is this a reading comprehension test? I stated the standard I use for enjoying movies. The version I saw was 2D. I don't expect the plot to magically change. However, as I stated there was an impressive forum posting of the 3D version.

There are versions of songs that I like and other versions I don't based on singers, instrumentation, rhythms etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2394 Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post

real people would not act like the characters in a movie.
That's a difficult one to confirm in this movie because we can only speculate what real people would act like unless the exact same situation existed and we have witnessed how people reacted. Given that this story is set in the future and in a fictional situation (not a probable one IMO), no one knows how a person would really act.
Quote:
So I don't like horror movies as a rule because I don't like asking why in the world would someone do that?
There are many crap horror movies that are "bad apples". Some genre seem to have more of those than others but it's not exclusive to one genre.
post #1353 of 2394 Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

First off, let me say I enjoyed Prometheus. I didn't expect it to be like Star Trek: The Motion Picture, whereby I could go an take a 30 minute smoke break, come back and not really miss anything.
Yes the people on board did do some stupid things as many have stated. But were the crew on the Nostromo (Alien 1) really geniuses by comparison? This is the same crew who sent their captain (by himself) into a duct to 'scare' a 15ft tall super-predator away, using a piddly-ass flame thrower with an effective range of a zippo lighter? Great idea. Pure Davinci society material guys. Not to mention nobody even tried to kill the damn thing when it burst out of John Hurt's gut just because Ash said no? The crew of the Nostromo were pants-on-head retarded by comparison to the Prometheus crew.
Yes, exactly and great points. Ok since this was probably thee most complaint allow me to further the obvious. 1st of all people the crew have been sleeping for 2 yrs. When you wake up, your body, muscles, nerves, brain, motor function are NOT 100%, kinda like when your butt or leg goes numb when it's been the same place for too long. And when going out to the caves to do some exploration is like a prisoner who's been let out so they there's all kinda of god knows emotions, adrenalin, anxiety, etc that's going through their minds. Don't you recall when you've been inside for a long time for some reason like snow storm and allowed to go outside later you have compulsions and act stupid doing daring things you would not normally do in a far out foreign land and time.

2nd that guy with the buzz cut who freaked out you can't fault him. Again, they're on a place millions miles from home under duress, stress so everyone reacts and responds to pressure differently. And the botanist who petted that snake again he's a lover of nature so of course to the average person that may seem hap hazard. How many times have you watched wild kingdom or the crocodile hunter and they have handled animals you would think is crazy. Well to him that's the same mind process.
post #1354 of 2394 Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Good news for us who enjoyed Prometheus, haters, Monday morning Einsteins and arm chair Stephen Hawkins wanna bees need not apply:

Ridley Scott Talks PROMETHEUS and the BLADE RUNNER Sequel; Says PROMETHEUS Blu-ray Will Have 20 to 30 Min of Deleted Scenes
http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-deleted-scenes-interview/172202/

Very cool. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...if there's an extended cut on the Blu-ray I'll be happy, but if it's just deleted scenes + theatrical, the film works as it is too imo.

I agree.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1355 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 AM

Liked: 12
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!

This movie is not being shown in Chinese theaters !!!

I might have to travel to Hong Kong or Bangkok just to watch it!!

Dammit!!!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
post #1356 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

Good news for us who enjoyed Prometheus, haters, Monday morning Einsteins and arm chair Stephen Hawkins wanna bees need not apply:

Ridley Scott Talks PROMETHEUS and the BLADE RUNNER Sequel; Says PROMETHEUS Blu-ray Will Have 20 to 30 Min of Deleted Scenes

Awesome! Very cool. smile.gif

So I went and saw it a 2nd time, this time with my father (who didn't want to go out at midnight to see it tongue.gif) who loved it too.

Guy Pearce sure sounds like John Hurt in this. Anyone else think so? Maybe that's just his "old guy" voice.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1357 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 01:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post

I thought the movie was very poorly done if its objective was to tell a sci-fi story. However, you have given me a reason to go see it again from an entirely different perspective: technical prowess. I go to movies for eye-candy, plot, characters and yes, technology. I went to see Avatar in 3D and I was not dazzled. But I wasn't distracted by plot incoherence. I enjoyed Transformers (the first one) because of the dazzling colours on the screen (actually that is why I enjoyed the first Spiderman). And on my crude 3D setup I was impressed with Avatar clips: technically.
When I think of "Prometheus", I compare it to a sophomore getting a "D" on a handwritten story where the calligraphy rivaled typeset. Technically, the paper was beautiful but the instructor simply could not ignore the quality of the writing. Sure the student could offer a lot of explanations as to why the teacher is missing his brilliance but the paper must stand as written.

Thank you! That's why I take the time to express my opinion on these forums. I like this movie simply on the technical aspects and the story was just background noise. I need to go see it *AGAIN* to really analyze the story.

Usually it's the opposite (like with The Avengers). I went in and just enjoyed it for the awesome fun romp that it was, then saw it a couple more times to pick up on the technical aspects. The Avengers is seriously the best movie I've seen since the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. We went to the Metreon theater in San Francisco the night Return of the King came out, watched the extended version of the first movie, had a snack, watched the extended version of the second movie, had dinner, then came back at midnight and watched Return of the King for the first time. Best. Movie. Night. Ever.

And wait, there's more. The Hobbit will be out soon enough, and Peter Jackson is filming in 48 frames per second?!?! He swears it's better than 24 frames per second (23.9?).

Either way, opening night, I am *SO* there.

And I hope, by then, my Home Theater will be able to display the movie properly as Jackson intends on purple-ray (or whatever they need to come out with to support higher resolutions, frame rates, and a subsonic audio channel).

"Hi, my name is Dozer, and I've been a movie/Home Theater addict for over 20 years. It all started with my friend/customer Sam Runco here in Foster City many years ago. I know I'm an addict, and come here for the support from others so afflicted with the addiction..."

Sports? Yes! Racing and Skydiving, because other sports like tennis, football and soccer only need one ball!
post #1358 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!
Hong Kong is China, it has been since 1997 and yes its been showing since last Thursday.
post #1359 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a moot question. He along with most of us who've seen Alien/Aliens were little pip-squeaks wild eyed open minded that liked anything remotely cool. Now when seeing Prometheus 30+ yrs later some have become jaded, paranoid, mr scrooges with their own criteria. It was the same thing with the Star wars prequels but those were garbage in any time era or age.

I was 16 when I saw Alien. It scared the heck out of me and my friend (being the 1970s, we may have, err, you know, done stuff before the movie, which could have enhanced perception, but I'm not really sure and will deny if asked). 33 years later, Alien holds up for me on various levels. Aliens -- not so much. I see Alien as a more intellectual film than Aliens.
post #1360 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I was 16 when I saw Alien. It scared the heck out of me and my friend (being the 1970s, we may have, err, you know, done stuff before the movie, which could have enhanced perception, but I'm not really sure and will deny if asked). 33 years later, Alien holds up for me on various levels. Aliens -- not so much. I see Alien as a more intellectual film than Aliens.

Me, too. I can revisit Alien many times, but can only watch Aliens once in a great while; although I think Aliens is a great sequel, Alien really works for me. BTW, my music teacher in high school at the time Alien came out turned out to be Tom Skerritt's nephew and I didn't ask him to get me his uncle's autograph. frown.gif

As far as Prometheus, I enjoyed it, but certain beats within the movie also made me go: "Huh?"

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #1361 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The movie is atrocious, a complete embarrassment. It's the Phantom Menace of the Alien franchise. I couldn't have possibly hated it more. Everything that happens in the last act of the movie is howlingly awful. I can't imagine what Ridley Scott was thinking.
It's pretty to look at, but the 3D basically drops away in the second half, like Scott got bored with it.
I'm running a poll on this if anyone feels like voting.

Couldn't disagree more. It's one of only five movies I have ever rated a "10" at IMDB.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #1362 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I hated Mission to Mars, I loved Prometheus. There you go. Hopeless!biggrin.gif

I liked Mission to Mars.....but I think Prometheus is a much better film.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #1363 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

I liked Mission to Mars.....but I think Prometheus is a much better film.

iirc it came out at about the same time as Red Planet...? I remember being very disappointed by both. I just saw it once though.
post #1364 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!

If you live in Shanghai China, then a copy of this movie is probably no further away than the nearest street corner. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian 
Guy Pearce sure sounds like John Hurt in this. Anyone else think so? Maybe that's just his "old guy" voice.

I had no idea who he was underneath all that truly horrible make-up. Honestly, is it that so difficult to find an actual elderly actor to play an old character in Hollywood? Surely they're not all dead yet...? Peter O'Toole could, in fact, have played this role and would have added a really interesting element to David's obsession with Lawrence of Arabia (how cool would that have been, eh?). And he's got real, hard-won wrinkles! I have yet to see realistic "Old Guy/Gal" make-up and prosthetics in the movies that look how old people really look. Yet it continues.

The actor that really fooled me was this Logan Marshall-Green (Charlie Holloway). I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that was Tom Hardy. Talk about separated at birth...
post #1365 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 16
This movie was an exercise in frustration, which is why it has caused such polarized reactions in people. It's not the worst film ever made, but from the way some people are talking it sounds like it is. I felt like where Alien was a horror film with some sci-fi elements, this was trying to be a sci-fi film with some horror elements. In Alien's case, they got it right because it never stopped being a horror film all the way through. Here, the movie stops being any kind of intelligent, thought provoking sci-fi film about halfway through and degenerates into a generic horror film, and not a very scary one. It's the kind of film that is diverting enough while you are watching it due to the technical skill on display, but the minute you start thinking about it in any detail it makes little sense.
post #1366 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The actor that really fooled me was this Logan Marshall-Green (Charlie Holloway). I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that was Tom Hardy. Talk about separated at birth...

Ha! I thought so too.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1367 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes, exactly and great points. ......
]

Admin deleted my post. What gives? Wasn't anything hateful or offensive in it.
post #1368 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I am taking my wife to see this tomorrow, first time for her, second for me. I may like it more the second time around...or not.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Someone mentioned the film 2001: A Space Odyssey which got me thinking about how the science and tech in this movie was all wrong. I saw 2001 when it first premiered in theaters and remember thinking "this is all going to happen in the next 33 years?". Now we are stuck with another prediction that hyper-space travel (not standard propulsion) will be possible by 2094? Doesn't that strike anyone as being overly optimistic? Scott has made the same mistake Kubrick/Clarke made. NASA has been trimmed back substantially. Someone mentioned big business will take us to stars. Really? Why? Are we after Unobtainium? One man is going spend trillions of dollars looking for Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth? Theron's character says they are a billion miles from Earth. Was this a misspeak or just a broad generalization? Try trillions. At any rate I'll be dead long before this is possible.

Didn't it bother anyone that the technology in this film was much more advanced that what was presented in Alien or Aliens which take place after this? My first thought when I saw the flying spheres mapping out the alien structure was why didn't the Colonial Marines have access to this tech, wouldn't that have been a big benefit before entering the LV-426 colony structure? The tech in Prometheus made the Nostromo and Sulaco seem antiqued by comparison. I would have preferred more of a retro look to make it seem that they were trying to remain in the same timeline. Yes I know, Scott was going to for the eye candy at the expense of continuity.

In Aliens Bishop said that the earlier android models were 'a little twitchy' and David certainly shares the same pedigree as Ash in Alien.

For those who have seen the movie here are some throw-away facts: Lawrence of Arabia is one of Scott's favorite movies and his father was a Royal Engineer.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1369 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Someone mentioned the film 2001: A Space Odyssey which got me thinking about how the science and tech in this movie was all wrong. I saw 2001 when it first premiered in theaters and remember thinking "this is all going to happen in the next 33 years?". Now we are stuck with another prediction that hyper-space travel (not standard propulsion) will be possible by 2094? Doesn't that strike anyone as being overly optimistic? Scott has made the same mistake Kubrick/Clarke made. NASA has been trimmed back substantially. Someone mentioned big business will take us to stars. Really? Why? Are we after Unobtainium? One man is going spend trillions of dollars looking for Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth? Theron's character says they are a billion miles from Earth. Was this a misspeak or just a broad generalization? Try trillions. At any rate I'll be dead long before this is possible.
Didn't it bother anyone that the technology in this film was much more advanced that what was presented in Alien or Aliens which take place after this? My first thought when I saw the flying spheres mapping out the alien structure was why didn't the Colonial Marines have access to this tech, wouldn't that have been a big benefit before entering the LV-426 colony structure? The tech in Prometheus made the Nostromo and Sulaco seem antiqued by comparison. I would have preferred more of a retro look to make it seem that they were trying to remain in the same timeline. Yes I know, Scott was going to for the eye candy at the expense of continuity.
In Aliens Bishop said that the earlier android models were 'a little twitchy' and David certainly shares the same pedigree as Ash in Alien.
It's been brought up before and some members posted plausible reasons. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155877/alien-prequel-prometheus/840#post_22029174
post #1370 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
I need help understanding who is who
Can't remember but the guy who attacked the maintenance crew didn't look like the other scientist. He looked like the guy who had his helmet melted (guy with the fuhawk). plus the other scientist was wearing that head piece while the other one wasn't. Plus the crew never found his body while they were searching that one room

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #1371 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

Quote:

Yes, exactly and great points. ......
]

Admin deleted my post. What gives? Wasn't anything hateful or offensive in it.
It either contained a untagged spoiler or quoted an untagged spoiler.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #1372 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The reason for the timeline of Prometheus have very much to do with the timeline that the other movies established, and not whats the most reasonable timeline.

Scifi usually makes the mistake of to optimistic timeline.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #1373 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

It's been brought up before and some members posted plausible reasons. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155877/alien-prequel-prometheus/840#post_22029174

Thanks for the link since I haven't read that far back.

Reasons, yes. Plausible? Maybe to some.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1374 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I need help understanding who is who
Can't remember but the guy who attacked the maintenance crew didn't look like the other scientist. He looked like the guy who had his helmet melted (guy with the fuhawk). plus the other scientist was wearing that head piece while the other one wasn't. Plus the crew never found his body while they were searching that one room
Fifield.

Sanjay
post #1375 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Fifield.

ahh ok thanks!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #1376 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I saw it yesterday afternoon and was disappointed. I thought the script was weak and underdeveloped. The opening 20 minutes trying to establish character was cliché. It's not supposed to be an episode of "Lost." biggrin.gif
post #1377 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Just got home from seeing it the 2nd time in 5 days, both times in IMAX 3D. Even better the 2nd time around. Awesome LFE. Incredible cinematography , amazing 3D. YMMV.
post #1378 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
Went to see this with very high expectations. I was pretty disappointed. It just didn't work for many of the reasons already mentioned. Thinly drawn characters, one dimensional performances, confusing character reactions to events, lapses in logic, etc. etc. I will check it again when it's released on bluray. Will my reaction to it be the same? I expect it will be. I didn't care for Robin Hood, and now this? Ridley, what's going on??
post #1379 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I had no idea who he was underneath all that truly horrible make-up. Honestly, is it that so difficult to find an actual elderly actor to play an old character in Hollywood? Surely they're not all dead yet...?
Guy Pearce also played the same character as a 40 something man for one of the film's promos, which was long planned from the beginning so it makes sense.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #1380 of 2394 Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Funny, I was talking to my son and told him that I bet they had to remove a ton of scenes that made things fit better. This is good news.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page