Alien Prequel - Prometheus - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2416 Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Does anyone know of a better deal than Amazon pre-order? $28 is bit much for my budget...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2416 Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Just got back from a 3D presentation.
The 3D was used perfectly; that is, it didn't draw attention to itself...it simply enhances (like Avatar).
The movie itself
Lottsa fun, nice SFX.
Good story, well plotted.
This movie is very definitely a Prequel to Alien....no question about it.

NOW
Sure, sure, I would have done a few things differently....
BUT this sci-fi has an awful lot going for it. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The "religion themes" are very mild, nothing to get one's panties in a bunch over.
It's more about "origins" than anything else.
The Space Jockeys rule....mysterious and intimidating.smile.gif
One thing I would have done differently is to make the characters act more like the "professionals" they are purported to be.
As in: DON'T TOUCH, DON'T BRING BACK, DON'T ACT LIKE COWBOYS.rolleyes.gif
Folks, that kind of stuff will get you in trouble every time.
OTOH, they wouldn't have gotten themselves into the mess they inevitably did and the drama of getting out of it wouldn't be there...so there is that too.wink.gif
My approach would be to do what was done in AvP....have the team inadvertently trip various hidden sensors and thereby setting the sh*tstorm in motion.
This would have been more credible IMO.
In other words, scientists acting like scientists.[/spoilers]
There were a few other things, but even more minor.
I can't wait for Prometheus 2.cool.gif

oink, thanks - I've been waiting for your take. Interesting you're so forgiving. Typically I don't allow retrospect on anything except Kubrick. Time after time
his work proves to be timeless. It's a struggle to give this any credit. I'm one of a few who typically gave Mr. Scott a wide berth, but not now.

I promoted Mr Scott against a wave of doubt in the last year. In spite of what I see in this film, I will never doubt his ability to Paint A Story With Pictures. I don't see it in this cut. I don't think there's a mssg to be gleaned other than money.
post #1443 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Agreed. Not sure why everyone pisses on the AVP movies?
biggrin.gif
Neither do I, both are scary.
And that is the most important part to an Alien or Predator movie....
"Did it scare you....did you flinch?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The first AVP was not as bad as the second. And in regards to the characters/story, in the first AVP not only were the humans the main characters (so the plot isn't just monster vs monster) but the main Predator was also given a character arc and fleshed out, even though he doesn't talk. It is definitely not on anybody's top 10 list, but I don't think it deserves to be on anyone's bottom 10 list, either.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

the whole AVP concept is just a bad joke. These 2 movies are a disgrace to the Alien and Predator franchises.
Neither is as crappy as A3.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

It's a struggle to give this any credit. I'm one of a few who typically gave Mr. Scott a wide berth, but not now.
I promoted Mr Scott against a wave of doubt in the last year. In spite of what I see in this film, I will never doubt his ability to Paint A Story With Pictures. I don't see it in this cut. I don't think there's a mssg to be gleaned other than money.
As I said earlier...Prometheus isn't without flaws, but, BUT so much is right with this movie that I can forgive.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #1444 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Neither is as crappy as A3.wink.gif

They are actually both worse and both better.

Alien3 is a much better movie in terms of directing, drama, score, acting, script etc. It however have some flaws thats a pretty serious and fails because of the flaws.

AVP and AVP:R are cheap popcorn movies. They dont have much flaws in that regard but they are not playing the same league as Alien3.
post #1445 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Alien3 .... It however have some flaws....

Yeah, it's boring. That's pretty serious.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #1446 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've never been a great fan for A3, save for the opening scenes which were awesome!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #1447 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Does anyone know of a better deal than Amazon pre-order? $28 is bit much for my budget...
The pre-order price when you order will be the highest price you'll pay via Amazon. It could go down with the Pre-order Price Guarantee. They usually charge what Best Buy sells the disc for on release day. I don't think they track other B&Ms. Best Buy keeps tabs, too. I don't know if the ticket promotion causes the price to be inflated some or not. $28 is high for a BD.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #1448 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
^^^ Thanks, guess I'll wait for it on ebay when it's released as I don't care if it's used nor am I in a rush since I've already seen it and want to experience it again with the ext cut.
post #1449 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

They are actually both worse and both better.
Alien3 is a much better movie in terms of directing, drama, score, acting, script etc. It however have some flaws thats a pretty serious and fails because of the flaws.

Alien 3 has a great score. The parts of Clemens & Golic were always good. I didn't like Dutton's Dillon at
first, but it's ageing well. Opinions here are right down the middle, which is fine. Funny, oink and I agree on so many films but we're
hard left/right on this one. Not a problem and perhaps a good average for the forum and American audience. The European/Asian audience are largely fans
and place it 2nd in the series wink.gif

I'm not convinced Prometheus will stand the test of time. I'll take a wild guess and say the target fan
base of this film is not interested in any biblical cookies that might be popular with the apologists or
the script hacks. We're on to the Edward Bernays BS and just don't buy it any more.
post #1450 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

I'm not convinced Prometheus will stand the test of time. I'll take a wild guess and say the target fan
base of this film is not interested in any biblical cookies that might be popular with the apologists or
the script hacks. We're on to the Edward Bernays BS and just don't buy it any more.

The biblical cookies are very subtle. Its nothing that forces the viewer to aknowledge to get the story. Its just one way to look at the story. The same can be said about 2001, or even The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I think Prometheus can stand the test of time just fine. I think to many critics compare it to Alien and was let down by the movie not being an Alien type film. Time will heal some peoples wounds. If we look at the production its alot more timeless then a movie like Avatar. Because the story doesnt scream 2012 all over it.
post #1451 of 2416 Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:

The biblical cookies are very subtle. Its nothing that forces the viewer to aknowledge to get the story. Its just one way to look at the story. The same can be said about 2001, or even The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
I think Prometheus can stand the test of time just fine. I think to many critics compare it to Alien and was let down by the movie not being an Alien type film. Time will heal some peoples wounds. If we look at the production its alot more timeless then a movie like Avatar. Because the story doesnt scream 2012 all over it.

Most of the complaining reminds me of the kid who had his WoW account canceled by his mom and then he threw a fit and tried to put a remote in his butt.
post #1452 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Its really an insult to James Cameron to mention Prometheus in the same breath with Avatar. Its not even close. It got beat at the box office by Madagascar 3. Word of mouth hurt Prometheus really bad. Prometheus was a mess. R. Scott botched this one up. He tried to bite off more than he can handle. He should have studied some of the concepts he half heartedly tried to bring forth in the movie. The only edge I give to Prometheus over Avatar is sound. Visuals are about even, everything else, Avatar blows Prometheus away.
post #1453 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

You do understand that boxoffice say very little of a movie, and that rated R movies have a more narrow audience.
post #1454 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Its really an insult to James Cameron to mention Prometheus in the same breath with Avatar. Its not even close. It got beat at the box office by Madagascar 3. Word of mouth hurt Prometheus really bad.

Avatar was a technical achievement but was basically a retelling of Pocahontas and could be understood by a six year old. Still 50M$ is nothing to sneeze at. I wonder which movies beat out Blade Runner its opening weekend.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #1455 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
I still don't understand the R rating. I've seen much more violent PG movies. There was no nudity. Limited cussing and only hinted at sex. Baffling.
post #1456 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

I still don't understand the R rating. I've seen much more violent PG movies. There was no nudity. Limited cussing and only hinted at sex. Baffling.
Agreed. Actual WTF?
post #1457 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Its really an insult to James Cameron to mention Prometheus in the same breath with Avatar. Its not even close. It got beat at the box office by Madagascar 3. Word of mouth hurt Prometheus really bad. Prometheus was a mess. R. Scott botched this one up. He tried to bite off more than he can handle. He should have studied some of the concepts he half heartedly tried to bring forth in the movie. The only edge I give to Prometheus over Avatar is sound. Visuals are about even, everything else, Avatar blows Prometheus away.

Yeah... not to mention Madagascar requires parents AND their kids at the theater even if the parents don't care for it. There's no way for Prometheus to beat Madagascar. But you're right, in terms of cliché'd characters and contrived story, Avatar sure blows Prometheus away. I like James Cameron a lot, but Avatar is not his greatest achievement.
post #1458 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

*cough* C-section? There are several disturbing scenes in Prometheus that are definitely not kids-friendly. imo the R is justified.
post #1459 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This film earned its R rating. Not for a second could it be PG-13.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #1460 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

*cough* C-section? There are several disturbing scenes in Prometheus that are definitely not kids-friendly. imo the R is justified.
ah, forgot how graphic that scene was.
post #1461 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Most of the complaining reminds me of the kid who had his WoW account canceled by his mom and then he threw a fit and tried to put a remote in his butt.
+1.
The difference between PG or PG-13 versus R rated movie is that there is usually (but not always) more thoughts required to follow through the plot of R rated movie since the target demographics is older. Doing the same to PG or PG-13 movie will be disastrous.
post #1462 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

+1.
The difference between PG or PG-13 versus R rated movie is that there is usually (but not always) more thoughts required to follow through the plot of R rated movie since the target demographics is older. Doing the same to PG or PG-13 movie will be disastrous.
That is total BS. R rated movies tend to be completely brainless crap that use violence, sex and language to offset a complete lack of story and acting. See, it's easy to make a baseless argument that has nothing to do with the topic.
post #1463 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

That is total BS. R rated movies tend to be completely brainless crap that use violence, sex and language to offset a complete lack of story and acting. See, it's easy to make a baseless argument that has nothing to do with the topic.
I should have made myself clear by excluding R rated comedy. As for R rated drama and Sci-Fi movies, it's usually more complex than PG or PG-13 rated.
Since this is Sci-Fi movie discussion, would you name couple of PG or PG-13 rated Sci-fi titles that you believe to have more complex plot requiring more thoughts than R rated Sci-Fi movie?
post #1464 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I should have made myself clear by excluding R rated comedy. As for R rated drama and Sci-Fi movies, it's usually more complex than PG or PG-13 rated.
Since this is Sci-Fi movie discussion, would you name couple of PG or PG-13 rated Sci-fi titles that you believe to have more complex plot requiring more thoughts than R rated Sci-Fi movie?
Just off the top of my head wasn't Inception PG? A vastly superior movie to Prometheus in every way.
post #1465 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Iron Man was a better movie, it is PG (had to go look it up, I don't usually know what the ratings are). Heck, I think Serenity is a better movie, although I'm not a fan of the series.
post #1466 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

I should add that I didn't find this movie to be particularly deep. The movie avoided every possible chance it had to actually explore anything that would make it a deep movie. You could make the identical claim that the TRON sequel was deep because of it's exploration of creation. Heck, TRON had famous literature on his virtual bookshelf. Doesn't that make it deep literate film? Uh .... No!
post #1467 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2001 is rated G...

...Prometheus being rated R is not much because of its story but how graphic it is at times. @JMCecil IMO Serenity is not in the same league as Prometheus at all, but as usual ymmv wink.gif The way I see it is that it's probably pointless to make comparisons given the subjective nature of the subject: our tastes in movies smile.gif
post #1468 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:

I think Serenity is a better movie
I won't argue your preference, but Serenity is more a western set in space (like Outland) than science fiction (like Contact or 2001).

Sanjay
post #1469 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

I found them more enjoyable and equally as deep ... in other words not deep. Yes, cowboy movies with space ships ... of course it's a western.
post #1470 of 2416 Old 06-17-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... in terms of cliché'd characters and contrived story, Avatar sure blows Prometheus away.
I like James Cameron a lot, but Avatar is not his greatest achievement.

Agreed on that. I was so much looking forward to the release of Avatar, especially since according to his own bio he said had been working on the story essentially for decades. Then he himself stated that Avatar was basically a practice run for making his next movie Battle Angel. Well, Avatar did deliver the thrills, and yes it was a technical masterpiece, but it fell way short of my favorite Cameron movies, far behind the likes of T2, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic or the Abyss.

Turns out the best thing to come out of "Project 880" was that Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg stopped by to play with the Cameron Bros new 3D camera, to see how they might work for turning a certain Belgian comic book into a movie smile.gif Unfortunately, Avatar did so well that JC has pretty much scrapped Battle Angel in favor of two Avatar sequels instead. Well at least my wife loved Avatar, but doesn't understand how I can watch my favorite JC movies over and over.
Quote:

IMO Serenity is not in the same league as Prometheus at all, but as usual ymmv wink.gif The way I see it is that it's probably pointless to make comparisons given the subjective nature of the subject: our tastes in movies

Different genres entirely. As much as I like Joss Whedon, it's all popcorn entertainment. I loved Dollhouse, and Avengers was lots of fun, but I have no plans to watch it again "just to see what I might have missed the first time". As for Prometheus, it seems that those who were most disappointed are those who went into it with some pretty high expectations. I expected only to be entertained, and in that it succeeded.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com