post #1621 of 2416 Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
^Yep, that's about it.

Now I gotta get a t-shirt made up....tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2416 Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Saw this:

Somebody posted that link earlier in this thread (or maybe the other one). I laughed for days.
post #1623 of 2416 Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Unlike some of you guys who seem to have a good handle on the nuances of drama acting, I am not always aware of acting being good or bad in vanilla drama, especially when I can't tell if it was the director's directing or an actor's decisions, but I was really REALLY distracted by the elderly acting Guy Pearce did.

That is "character acting", and I don't think he did anything to prepare other than wake up at 4am for makeup.
Don't actors at that level still audition for roles like that?

I like to be entertained, it's why I see movies like this, and really it takes a good bit to break the immersion level for me, but the moment he started acting, the scene broke down for me.
His makeup was amazing though.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #1624 of 2416 Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Unlike some of you guys who seem to have a good handle on the nuances of drama acting, I am not always aware of acting being good or bad in vanilla drama, especially when I can't tell if it was the director's directing or an actor's decisions, but I was really REALLY distracted by the elderly acting Guy Pearce did.
That is "character acting", and I don't think he did anything to prepare other than wake up at 4am for makeup.
I like to be entertained, it's why I see movies like this, and really it takes a good bit to break the immersion level for me, but the moment he started acting, the scene broke down for me.

You liked the make-up? The problem was that the make-up was so terrible that there was absolutely nothing any actor could do that wouldn't look laughable. Even viewers who don't know that it's Guy Pearce under there can instantly tell that it's a younger guy in make-up. It doesn't look natural in the slightest.

Poor Armie Hammer had the same problem in J. Edgar.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1625 of 2416 Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

It was a mistake not to hire an old old actor to play the part IMO.
There's plenty of 'em around...

post #1626 of 2416 Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Well, it's in profit at this point. A very expensive film, especially for an R rated film and it has paid off. Not as massively as they had hoped, but with such a diverse reception, ranging from love to hate, this is really quite a good result.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #1627 of 2416 Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Well, it's in profit at this point. A very expensive film, especially for an R rated film and it has paid off. Not as massively as they had hoped, but with such a diverse reception, ranging from love to hate, this is really quite a good result.

How do you figure that? Films have to do almost 3X their budget (USA BO) to be in the black. PROMETHUS is no wheres near that:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=prometheus.htm

Studios don't get to keep 100% of the BO take. The theaters get a good chunk of those dollars. Plus you have marketing costs (which many times can equal or exceed the cost of the film) and print fees (real and virtual). The Foreign BO - the studios get even less then they do from the USA BO.
post #1628 of 2416 Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am hopeful that Prometheus makes a profit. It would be a serious blow for future R rated science fiction thrillers! This is the main genre of movie that has been taken down to PG-13 for the money grab! My wife and I saw this last week on its last day in the 3D Imax theatre in Ontario. The line for Spidey had already formed right outside the door for the midnight showing. We were both in awe. It brought us back to our youth when we saw Aliens, Terminator, Blade Runner, Total Recall, among many other R rated movies in this category.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #1629 of 2416 Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post

This is the main genre of movie that has been taken down to PG-13 for the money grab!
While that's true for the science fiction genre, R-rated films seem to be doing OK in general. Of the top 5 films at this weekend's box office, 3 were rated R. Not bad. Hopefully that and the sucess of Prometheus will cause studios to reconsider cutting down films just to get a PG-13 rating.

Sanjay
post #1630 of 2416 Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The Foreign BO - the studios get even less then they do from the USA BO.

That depends on what studio is releasing the movie. What company do you think owns

20th Century Fox Australia
20th Century Fox Film de Mexico
20th Century Fox of Germany

Yes they dont have offices in the entire world, some markets they let a 3rd party company handle the movie, and that generates less money from the BO in that country. Of course the third party also handles the marketing cost so its not always a bad deal.
post #1631 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I enjoyed this movie, and to me, in todays society, I dont feel this movie should have been an R movie. What was so bad in that movie, fake violence with aliens that obviously arent real? You can see super gore on crime shows on tv now, and thats on real humans done by real human (supposedly).

This rating system stinks in my opinion. If someone 15 or 16 cant handle a movie like this, they really have problems. A bunch of crapola IMHO.

Anyway, I thought the first half of the movie was a little slow, the second half picked up for me and I enjoyed it a lot. The 3D really didnt do much for me, wasnt necessary.

never take life seriously
post #1632 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I enjoyed this movie, and to me, in todays society, I dont feel this movie should have been an R movie. What was so bad in that movie, fake violence with aliens that obviously arent real? You can see super gore on crime shows on tv now, and thats on real humans done by real human (supposedly).
This rating system stinks in my opinion. If someone 15 or 16 cant handle a movie like this, they really have problems. A bunch of crapola IMHO.
Anyway, I thought the first half of the movie was a little slow, the second half picked up for me and I enjoyed it a lot. The 3D really didnt do much for me, wasnt necessary.

Hope they made enough to make the next one.

Can't believe I am going to say this, but I am almost to he point I would rather have them release higher budget movies theatrically as a PG-13 and put the "R" rated version on a seamless branch in the Bluray. Most likely Prometheus does better Box Office and helps insure the next one. Lame PG-13 movies that should have been "R" annoy me but then good "R" rated movies that don't get made due to being too much risk, don't help either.

You can make a R rated comedy for 30 million, or less, but a good Action/scifi flic costs alot more and 120 million BO for Prometheus sounds good but not when it costs 130 million. (which is a pretty frugal budget compared to John Carter, Battleship etc)

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1633 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

You can make a R rated comedy for 30 million, or less, but a good Action/scifi flic costs alot more and 120 million BO for Prometheus sounds good but not when it costs 130 million. (which is a pretty frugal budget compared to John Carter, Battleship etc)

A good scifi doesnt need to be more expensive then 30 million. A creative team can do wonders with that amount of money. As for BO, it has almost made 300 million worldwide
post #1634 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

A good scifi doesnt need to be more expensive then 30 million. A creative team can do wonders with that amount of money. As for BO, it has almost made 300 million worldwide

$30 million? LOL - sure - just use no name talent like DISTRICT 9 did. Oh and make sure you have lots of non-CGI or green screen footage - that's cheap to shoot.

If Fox has seen $100 million of that $300M WW figure, I would be amazed.
post #1635 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$30 million? LOL - sure - just use no name talent like DISTRICT 9 did

I actually prefer District 9 to most stuff that has come in recent years.

As for the 300 millions, do you think Fox UK is just sitting on them?
post #1636 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

to me, in todays society, I dont feel this movie should have been an R movie. What was so bad in that movie, fake violence with aliens that obviously arent real? You can see super gore on crime shows on tv now, and thats on real humans done by real human (supposedly).
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Can't believe I am going to say this, but I am almost to he point I would rather have them release higher budget movies theatrically as a PG-13 and put the "R" rated version on a seamless branch in the Bluray.
+2

post #1637 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:

I actually prefer District 9 to most stuff that has come in recent years.

Well good for you. I surely don't
Quote:
As for the 300 millions, do you think Fox UK is just sitting on them?

WoW! PROMETHEUS did $300M in the UK alone?

Since when does worldwide mean just the UK? confused.gif

And PROMETHUS has racked up $172M worldwide.

Notice that 20th Century Fox isn't listed as a production company - just a distributor

Production Companies
•Brandywine Productions
•Dune Entertainment
•Scott Free Productions

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/companycredits
post #1638 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WoW! PROMETHEUS did $300M in the UK alone?
Since when does worldwide mean just the UK? confused.gif
And PROMETHUS has racked up $172M worldwide.

No that was a rethorical question, do you you think Fox UK, Fox Germany etc keeps the money. The international take differs from studios that has local office and studios that rely on third party companys to handle their release.

Fox, Warner Universal etc do work on a global scale and studios like Lionsgate and Miramax dont. Sometimes the big studios split the cost and markets. Terminator Salvation had Warner for US and Sony for the Global market. Gladiator had Dreamworks for the US and Universal for the global.
post #1639 of 2416 Old 07-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:

No that was a rethorical question, do you you think Fox UK, Fox Germany etc keeps the money. The international take differs from studios that has local office and studios that rely on third party companys to handle their release.
Fox, Warner Universal etc do work on a global scale and studios like Lionsgate and Miramax dont. Sometimes the big studios split the cost and markets. Terminator Salvation had Warner for US and Sony for the Global market. Gladiator had Dreamworks for the US and Universal for the global.

Like I said, in this case, Fox is nothing more than a distributor (and not for all countries):

Production Companies

•Brandywine Productions
•Dune Entertainment
•Scott Free Productions

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/companycredits
post #1640 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I said, in this case, Fox is nothing more than a distributor (and not for all countries):

Yes there are always some markets that third party handles the distrubution for them, in the Netherlands it was Warner that released the movie. But look at some of the bigger markets that Fox have.

UK: $36,302,261
CIS: $21,180,018
France: $15,971,774
Mexico: $7,278,028
Australia: $18,000,722
South Korea: $7,024,145

They seem to cover alot.
post #1641 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way here is the explanation of the casting of Weyland. (Found it on IMDB)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ridley Scott' initially wanted 'Max Von Sydow' for the role of Peter Weyland. However, Scott and Damon Lindelof conceived of a scene in which David the android (Michael Fassbender) would interface with Weyland while in hypersleep, and that Weyland's dream would reflect his looks as a younger man since he is obsessed with immortality. Though the scene was cut from the script and never filmed, Guy Pearce had already been cast in the role and thus underwent extensive make-up to appear elderly.
post #1642 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:

By the way here is the explanation of the casting of Weyland. (Found it on IMDB) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ridley Scott' initially wanted 'Max Von Sydow' for the role of Peter Weyland. However, Scott and Damon Lindelof conceived of a scene in which David the android (Michael Fassbender) would interface with Weyland while in hypersleep, and that Weyland's dream would reflect his looks as a younger man since he is obsessed with immortality. Though the scene was cut from the script and never filmed, Guy Pearce had already been cast in the role and thus underwent extensive make-up to appear elderly.

They should have included that scene. Speaks to Weyland's motivation and ultimate obsession bordering on recklessness. And it may have made that horrendous make-up job more acceptable. Otherwise, like many others, I just wondered why they didn't cast an honest-to-goodness old guy for the part. It's not like there's any shortage of them hanging around Hollywood bingo parlors and blue-plate buffets. tongue.gif
post #1643 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

They should have included that scene. Speaks to Weyland's motivation and ultimate obsession bordering on recklessness. And it may have made that horrendous make-up job more acceptable. Otherwise, like many others, I just wondered why they didn't cast an honest-to-goodness old guy for the part. It's not like there's any shortage of them hanging around Hollywood bingo parlors and blue-plate buffets. tongue.gif

I prefer it without that scene, it reveals to much. But the actor Ridley wanted would have been a perfect choice. Can really see him in the movie.
post #1644 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Pretty sure another reason they chose a younger actor and just put a ton of elderly make up on him was because Ridley Scott wants the option to be able to use him in flashbacks as a young man in the Prometheus sequels.

Weyland is such an important character in this universe, he's pretty much guaranteed to have a part in every film. Using a young actor gives the writers/director flexibility in this.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #1645 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Pretty sure another reason they chose a younger actor and just put a ton of elderly make up on him was because Ridley Scott wants the option to be able to use him in flashbacks as a young man in the Prometheus sequels.
Weyland is such an important character in this universe, he's pretty much guaranteed to have a part in every film. Using a young actor gives the writers/director flexibility in this.
Interesting, but from the setup at the end of Promotheus, I don't see how Weyland would fit into a story about Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
going to the source of the Engineers.

post #1646 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

He could just have cast a young actor for the flashbacks and an old actor for the elderly scenes. Movies have used that conceit since the beginning of cinema. The laughable prosthetics on Guy Pearce were incredibly distracting and pull viewers right out of the movie.

You'd think that a 75-year-old director might be sympathetic to the fact that older actors need work too.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1647 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

He could just have cast a young actor for the flashbacks and an old actor for the elderly scenes.
I hope not.
Quote:

The laughable prosthetics on Guy Pearce were incredibly distracting and pull viewers right out of the movie.
Agreed.
And it makes me suspicous we will be seeing GP in the sequel.frown.gif

post #1648 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
so worldwide gross is just under 300 million?

that should be enough for a sequel.

neflixis our nemesis
post #1649 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:

How do you figure that? Films have to do almost 3X their budget (USA BO) to be in the black. PROMETHUS is no wheres near that:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=prometheus.htm
Studios don't get to keep 100% of the BO take. The theaters get a good chunk of those dollars. Plus you have marketing costs (which many times can equal or exceed the cost of the film) and print fees (real and virtual). The Foreign BO - the studios get even less then they do from the USA BO.

Snopes really needs to do a debunking on that. Depending on the person it's anywhere from 2X to 11'ty'billion. Most of the time because of something called studio math, that is used much like tax planning to avoid payouts structured on profits.

Also, box office takes for theaters are notoriously small. They're lucky to take 5-10% from ticket sales, usually on the lower end. Most films cost more to show than they make back in ticket sales. Concessions is the business theaters are in, not ticket sales. Ticket sales is the business of the producers and distributors. And atleast in the US, there's quite a few big name chains that are actually owned by major production and distribution companies. So you end up adding revenue to the same parent company, through a different subsidiary.

What we do know for a fact: Prometheus is the #1 all time revenue generator in the franchise, and adjusted for ticket sales it's currently #2. It need's to make about $35 million to pass into #1 adjusted in the franchise, and still has tow major international scifi markets to open in, along with a few smaller ones.

It's budget was $130 million, and word is they spend around $50 on marketing.

Believe what you will, but after getting a R rating, I'm sure Fox is sitting pretty happy with where it is now. Especially schedualing it to only have a good 4 weeks before the July tsunami.
post #1650 of 2416 Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

+1
Interesting, but from the setup at the end of Promotheus, I don't see how Weyland would fit into a story about Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
going to the source of the Engineers.
Perhaps this is why you are not working as a screenwriter? cool.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page