Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

She won't Be Back wink.gif
Eric, you've done it again.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2394 Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 191
So, how bout that Prometheus movie huh?

:snicker:

I just watched it again, man, it is so jumbled and confusing.
post #2343 of 2394 Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

So, how bout that Prometheus movie huh?

:snicker:

I just watched it again, man, it is so jumbled and confusing.
Here's an interesting trick you can try for this movie. Flip the last sentence.

"man, it is so jumbled and confusing, I just watched it again" wink.gif
post #2344 of 2394 Old 12-02-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Here's an interesting trick you can try for this movie. Flip the last sentence.

"man, it is so jumbled and confusing, I just watched it again" wink.gif
Irony...don't ya hate it.wink.gif

post #2345 of 2394 Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's a fanedit called Prometheus: Giftbearer that reinserts a number of the deleted scenes as well as appending the Ted Talk promotional material to the beginning of the film, and I think it addresses a number of complaints people have with the film. Personally, I liked the film as it was, but the fanedt does make more sense of certain scenes (specifically the biologist's reaction to the snake/worm alien, and the geologist getting lost).
post #2346 of 2394 Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 191
@adrift Thanks, I'll look into it.
But after you see the youtube cartoon "how it should have ended" well, it's almost unredeemable. But I enjoy the visuals and some of the characters so it's not a dud to me.
post #2347 of 2394 Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

There's a fanedit called Prometheus: Giftbearer that reinserts a number of the deleted scenes as well as appending the Ted Talk promotional material to the beginning of the film, and I think it addresses a number of complaints people have with the film. Personally, I liked the film as it was, but the fanedt does make more sense of certain scenes (specifically the biologist's reaction to the snake/worm alien, and the geologist getting lost).
There are 2 versions of this movie that are better done in those scenes. One is by Jon Spaihts and the other is by Damon Lindelof. Both are called screenplay. Links to them have been posted somewhere on this thread.
post #2348 of 2394 Old 12-03-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Didn't know if you guys saw these, but I thought they were interesting.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #2349 of 2394 Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I yawned at that first video because just about all of its points have been discussed on this and the other related thread.

I'll have to try the second video when I'm more alert. frown.gif
post #2350 of 2394 Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

A gentle approach with the same points of some of the more searing reviews.
Thanks for the link
post #2351 of 2394 Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Second video is just about the same with little more stretched out talk. Again, most of those questions have been discussed on this thread already.
post #2352 of 2394 Old 12-04-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Second video is just about the same with little more stretched out talk. Again, most of those questions have been discussed on this thread already.

I admittedly have not been following the thread closely enough if these points have been raised previously and I didn't see them. I'll have to read through it.

post #2353 of 2394 Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Then again, lets say a fella just happens to look at this thread and doesn't want to read 79 pages, perhaps the videos could be useful.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #2354 of 2394 Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Then again, lets say a fella just happens to look at this thread and doesn't want to read 79 pages, perhaps the videos could be useful.

True story.

post #2355 of 2394 Old 12-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not as useful as reading at least 78 pages of it because unlike the video, there are more than just questions. This thread has answers and speculations as well.
post #2356 of 2394 Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not as useful as reading at least 78 pages of it because unlike the video, there are more than just questions. This thread has answers and speculations as well.

I'd say there is more speculation than answers, based on the pages I've read, but that isn't a bad thing. I was happy to see that there was intelligent discussion in this thread, as it's something I think has gone missing around here over the last few years.

post #2357 of 2394 Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

It's a cost / benefit thing. I'll take the executive summary.

Cheers.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #2358 of 2394 Old 12-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd say there is more speculation than answers, based on the pages I've read, but that isn't a bad thing. I was happy to see that there was intelligent discussion in this thread, as it's something I think has gone missing around here over the last few years.
Here's its sister thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414632/prometheus-plot-spoilers-discussion
post #2359 of 2394 Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's a cost / benefit thing. I'll take the executive summary.

Cheers.
Those videos have their own summary and this thread has its own summary.
post #2360 of 2394 Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I found this on the internets a moment ago and thought I would share:

The Script of Prometheus Closes Key Plot Holes

Prometheus is full of beautifully shot effects and contains some amazing, almost classic horror sequences, all of which are tainted by the minor fact that the story didn't make any f_cking sense whatsoever. Due to what appears to be a very confused production process, the film winds up being a series of weird/scary events that happen for no reason at all. For example, the entire "crew gets infected by monsters" plot that drives the film is triggered by David the android, and the film makes it look like he did it for the pure hell of it.

In the movie, David accompanies the human mission to an alien moon. Initially acting as the voyage's monitor, David even saves the lives of two crew members. However, as soon as they discover a strange black liquid, he immediately attempts to poison one of the scientists with it and spends the rest of the movie generally messing with them. It appears to be purely due to the fourth law of robotics: Any robot appearing in a sci-fi horror film will always move the story forward, even at the cost of human life or plot coherency.

The Missing Scenes:

In the original script, David spontaneously flipped his evil switch because that's what he was programmed to do by his creator and expedition sponsor Peter Weyland:

DAVID: I was given two operating protocols for this mission. I was to render you every assistance -- until you discovered what Vickers would call a "game-changing technology." (...) Under protocol two I was to make sure that you and Holloway never spoke to anyone about this place.

And there you go. One of the most criticized parts of the movie actually had a perfectly rational explanation all along: David suddenly turned on his crewmates because they discovered "game-changing technology," like the ... uhm, alien fountain pen ink? Wait, how did he even know what that thing was supposed to be?

Actually, the black liquid was a big part of the original story as well:

DAVID: For eons, Earth's climate swung from hothouse to ice age. Explosions of life, then mass extinctions. But twelve thousand years ago the swings stopped. The Holocene Epoch began -- a period of anomalous tranquility. The rise of civilization began only then.

WATTS: And that change coincides with a visit by the Engineers. They didn't just change us. They changed our world.

As it turns out, Peter Weyland only funded the expedition because he initially wanted terraforming technology (the black liquid, and those giant pyramids) after first trying and failing to terraform Mars, which is also covered in the script. He also needed a quick cure for the whole "dying of old age" problem. So when you get down to it, the original movie was less a philosophical tale about the origin and meaning of life and more one deranged billionaire's quest to live long enough to boink on Mars.

post #2361 of 2394 Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote: Originally Posted by oink View Post
The Missing Scenes:

In the original script, David spontaneously flipped his evil switch because that's what he was programmed to do by his creator and expedition sponsor Peter Weyland:

DAVID: I was given two operating protocols for this mission. I was to render you every assistance -- until you discovered what Vickers would call a "game-changing technology." (...) Under protocol two I was to make sure that you and Holloway never spoke to anyone about this place.

And there you go. One of the most criticized parts of the movie actually had a perfectly rational explanation all along: David suddenly turned on his crewmates because they discovered "game-changing technology," like the ... uhm, alien fountain pen ink? Wait, how did he even know what that thing was supposed to be?

DAVID: For eons, Earth's climate swung from hothouse to ice age. Explosions of life, then mass extinctions. But twelve thousand years ago the swings stopped. The Holocene Epoch began -- a period of anomalous tranquility. The rise of civilization began only then.

WATTS: And that change coincides with a visit by the Engineers. They didn't just change us. They changed our world.

As it turns out, Peter Weyland only funded the expedition because he initially wanted terraforming technology (the black liquid, and those giant pyramids) after first trying and failing to terraform Mars, which is also covered in the script. He also needed a quick cure for the whole "dying of old age" problem. So when you get down to it, the original movie was less a philosophical tale about the origin and meaning of life and more one deranged billionaire's quest to live long enough to boink on Mars.

Interestingly, I got from my first viewing most of the points covered in this "Missing Scenes".

post #2362 of 2394 Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

oink, the article you found says, "original script" but it doesn't mention which one. There are two (Jon Spaihts' and Damon Lindelof's) but the article appears to have mixed the two into one script when it says "black liquid" and "terraform". confused.gif
post #2363 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

oink, the article you found says, "original script" but it doesn't mention which one. There are two (Jon Spaihts' and Damon Lindelof's) but the article appears to have mixed the two into one script when it says "black liquid" and "terraform". confused.gif
I think they were trying to imply "the original script" as being Spaiht's.

post #2364 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Prometheus is full of beautifully shot effects and contains some amazing, almost classic horror sequences, all of which are tainted by the minor fact that the story didn't make any f_cking sense whatsoever. Due to what appears to be a very confused production process, the film winds up being a series of weird/scary events that happen for no reason at all. For example, the entire "crew gets infected by monsters" plot that drives the film is triggered by David the android, and the film makes it look like he did it for the pure hell of it.

In the movie, David accompanies the human mission to an alien moon. Initially acting as the voyage's monitor, David even saves the lives of two crew members. However, as soon as they discover a strange black liquid, he immediately attempts to poison one of the scientists with it and spends the rest of the movie generally messing with them. It appears to be purely due to the fourth law of robotics: Any robot appearing in a sci-fi horror film will always move the story forward, even at the cost of human life or plot coherency.

The Missing Scenes:

I prefer the actual movie, over this. As I written before, the questions is more stimulating for me then the answers.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #2365 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think they were trying to imply "the original script" as being Spaiht's.
That's what I thought initially until the part,
Quote:
Spaihts' script deals with Xenomorph eggs, not the black liquid. Looks like the article itself has "plot holes"... frown.gif
post #2366 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's what I thought initially until the part,
Spaihts' script deals with Xenomorph eggs, not the black liquid. Looks like the article itself has "plot holes"... frown.gif
Hmmmmm......

post #2367 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

The Missing Scenes:

While I'm certainly no fan of this turd, I have to disagree with some of the info above. It may have the dumbest "scientists" ever to grace the silver screen, but the rest of the movie wasn't exactly confusing.

"In the movie, David accompanies the human mission to an alien moon. Initially acting as the voyage's monitor, David even saves the lives of two crew members. However, as soon as they discover a strange black liquid, he immediately attempts to poison one of the scientists with it and spends the rest of the movie generally messing with them"

I didn't quite take that view. Sure, his attitude does seem ambiguous at times, but he clearly asked the dude at the pool table if he was willing to do anything to find their engineers (or something like that). Only then did David give him the black liquid, after dude kind of gave consent. And that came after Weyland told David to "Try harder", did it not? And David not knowing what would happen didn't matter. For all he knew that guy (can't remember his name) would have started glowing with youthful vitality and a new perm. For all the subsequent events that happen later in the film, I took it that David was simply trying to do everything he could to complete the mission he was given by Weyland, which was to help him live longer (he wanted more life, f*cker).

As far as Weyland's plans, I don't see where the original idea conflicts with what we ultimately got. Two "scientists" thought they found the origin of life, Weyland saw a way to possibly live longer so he funded their trip (on a ship with absolutely no weapons to defend itself a gazillion miles from earth).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #2368 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I didn't quite take that view. Sure, his attitude does seem ambiguous at times, but he clearly asked the dude at the pool table if he was willing to do anything to find their engineers (or something like that). Only then did David give him the black liquid, after dude kind of gave consent. And that came after Weyland told David to "Try harder", did it not? And David not knowing what would happen didn't matter. For all he knew that guy (can't remember his name) would have started glowing with youthful vitality and a new perm. For all the subsequent events that happen later in the film, I took it that David was simply trying to do everything he could to complete the mission he was given by Weyland, which was to help him live longer (he wanted more life, f*cker).

Yes, I haven't seen it in a while, but I think he was just testing the black goo (on Weyland's order I guess) - his goal was definitely not to decimate the crew with the substance. Regarding the various screenplays, I don't care what's "explained" or not in them, the only thing that counts is the movie that we have. The rest including fanedits, Blu-ray supplements and whatnot is completely irrelevant.
Quote:
As far as Weyland's plans, I don't see where the original idea conflicts with what we ultimately got. Two "scientists" thought they found the origin of life, Weyland saw a way to possibly live longer so he funded their trip (on a ship with absolutely no weapons to defend itself a gazillion miles from earth).

"we come in peace" wink.gif
post #2369 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Cool to see this thread still chugging along and I enjoy reading the opinions in this thread. I for one enjoyed this movie and I am looking forward to the next one in 2016, Michael Green is the writer this go around.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #2370 of 2394 Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

While I'm certainly no fan of this turd,
But fan enough to keep coming back to this thread. LOL!
Quote:
It may have the dumbest "scientists" ever to grace the silver screen,
It will become clear upon multiple viewing but since you don't seem to be fan enough to take on such endeavor (unlike reading this thread), you will remain forever frozen in such perception. Oh well... frown.gif
Quote:
(on a ship with absolutely no weapons to defend itself a gazillion miles from earth).
(again) Oh well...

newprometheus57.jpg

600px-Shotgun2-Prometheus.jpg
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page