post #211 of 2416 Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I just started reading through this thread when I read the above quote. There is a good chance that few on this forum saw the original in theatres. I saw it with a friend. Both of us were in our 30s, were reasonablly macho and didn't expect what this movies presented. As I remember we both had the afternoon off and went to a matine in a mostly empty theatre. Enough with the lead in. It scared us both. I don't think a movie had me so shoke up since I saw the original Frankenstein when I was 10 years old. (I had to leave the theater for Frankenstein). Unless you've got a batcave of a home theatre with a large screen, I don't think you can get that same feeling watching at home.

The first Alien is a horror movie. The 2nd is an action/adventure. I agree with you regarding the scariness of the first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2416 Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
A most perfect blend of horror & sci-fi; same for (Carpenter's) The Thing.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #213 of 2416 Old 08-01-2010, 08:59 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For me at least, neither 1 nor 3 scares the shite outta me like Aliens.

It was the opposite for me. Alien scared me. Aliens was just an action movie (a good one). Alien 3, for everything it got wrong, did at least succeed at having a very creepy atmosphere to it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #214 of 2416 Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

It was the opposite for me. Alien scared me. Aliens was just an action movie (a good one). Alien 3, for everything it got wrong, did at least succeed at having a very creepy atmosphere to it.

I basically agree with that.

The very first time i saw Alien in the theater, wow, what a shocker, sitting there knowing nothing about the movie, when that thing burst of his chest, what a scene!! And then later, the guys slowly walking thru the ship not knowing when the alien would strike, classic horror. I read that to increase the intensity of that scene walking thru the ship, the actors were not told exactly when the alien would attack them. A classic horror movie. The only thing it needed was for Sigourney's panties to be a little lower in that final scene........

Aliens to me is the ultimate mix of horror and action, fantastic.

Alien 3, i hated that the first time i saw it, but upon watching it again recently, its not that bad. Its just that if you compare it with the first two, it doesnt cut it.

never take life seriously
post #215 of 2416 Old 09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 67
A tidbit of info

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46757

And 3 days later, some frustrating news

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46828
post #216 of 2416 Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know I shouldn't buy too much of what a press release is attempting to sell, but nonentheless this sounds really promising, and definitely better than simply an "Alien prequel". It also perhaps better explains Ridley Scott's reasons for involvement - this won't be a simple 'reboot' or what not, but perhaps something much better. We can hope.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/ridl...ad/#more-96773
post #217 of 2416 Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Liked: 12
Apparently this is no longer going to be a prequel, and will instead be an original story with fringe connections to the original Alien (I hate to use spinoff, but sort of like that). Read here for more details:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ridle...prequel,50100/
post #218 of 2416 Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 PM

lol nice timing
post #219 of 2416 Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Apparently this is no longer going to be a prequel...

To me, that's actually good news. I'd rather leave the space jockey dead and fossilized with a hole in its chest unexplained. Fill in the blanks with your imagination. Any back-story coming from a major studio would be dull and disappointing. There's too much money involved for them to take a risk on something original, with or without Ridley Scott.
post #220 of 2416 Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Aliens is one of my favourite films of all time and given that Cameron's filmmaking seems to be trumping just about everyone else's at the moment (and especially Ridley's) I would much rather see him at the helm of a new installment

In a perfect world, Scott and Cameron should combine forces!

Unfortunately, Fox studio burnt Giger and he's unlikely to ever want to work for these movies again, so don't expect anything artistically new from him.

Quote:
A most perfect blend of horror & sci-fi; same for (Carpenter's) The Thing.

+110% from me on that one... Another absolutely amazing film
Did you know there's a prequel to that one due out shortly too?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

Really worried they're gonna screw it up too... I see women in the cast, for a start
post #221 of 2416 Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post

In a perfect world, Scott and Cameron should combine forces!

That was attempted a few years back, but apparently Fox couldn't/wouldn't come to an agreement with S. and C.
IIRC, between the two of them they had actually worked out a story to film.

Anyway, I must admit I would prefer the Space Jockey to stay dead (my imagination comes up with plenty for its origin).

Fourteen months is gonna be a looooong wait to see Scott's creation...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #222 of 2416 Old 01-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Liked: 44
H.R. Giger on board for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel

http://www.shadowlocked.com/20101219...n-prequel.html
post #223 of 2416 Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

H.R. Giger on board for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel

http://www.shadowlocked.com/20101219...n-prequel.html

Best and most interesting news in this thread yet.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #224 of 2416 Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
old news, much happened since that, read up on the new news
post #225 of 2416 Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

old news, much happened since that, read up on the new news

Does the "new news" say anything about H.R. Giger not being part of the production?
post #226 of 2416 Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Does the "new news" say anything about H.R. Giger not being part of the production?

Thats GREAT news, but a little interesting, given Gigers feelings towards the way Fox treated his work.
post #227 of 2416 Old 01-16-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

No but according to the article you linked to, his main job would have been to design the space jockey, and the new news claim that character or story is no longer in the film they actually gonna make. But then again misleading the public about a future film is not entirely out of the question either. We shall see.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #228 of 2416 Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Prometheus

Perhaps Ridley will tease us with mythology and deliver a real story.

Likely reference to a society who takes something they should leave alone and are punished in the most brutal fashion.
Who would play Zeus
post #229 of 2416 Old 01-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
PROMETHEUS was the Titan god of forethought and crafty counsel who was entrusted with the task of moulding mankind out of clay. His attempts to better the lives of his creation brought him into direct conflict with Zeus. Firstly he tricked the gods out of the best portion of the sacrificial feast, acquiring the meat for the feasting of man. Then, when Zeus withheld fire, he stole it from heaven and delivered it to mortal kind hidden inside a fennel-stalk. As punishment for these rebellious acts, Zeus ordered the creation of Pandora (the first woman) as a means to deliver misfortune into the house of man, or as a way to cheat mankind of the company of the good spirits. Prometheus meanwhile, was arrested and bound to a stake on Mount Kaukasos where an eagle was set to feed upon his ever-regenerating liver (or, some say, heart). Generations later the great hero Herakles came along and released the old Titan from his torture.
http://www.theoi.com/Titan/TitanPrometheus.html
post #230 of 2416 Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like the later art that shows him bound to a stone and laying down. There's a larger raptor eating away (Eagle or other) so the brutality is the same.

Hopefully there's a leaked script to chew on during the coming months
post #231 of 2416 Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 PM

PROMETHEUS now has a release date; March 9, 2012

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-release-73444
post #232 of 2416 Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Spaihts Other Black List script - Who's to say someone's NOT drawing blood from this story?

This was before Harvest, but again there are elements here that hold a great story. The planet would make Pandora look like a petting zoo

Enjoy - http://pdfcast.org/pdf/shadow-19
post #233 of 2416 Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

More Cast news - Idris Elba is great news.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...tm_medium=feed
post #234 of 2416 Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 AM

I'm catching up on this thread and am only on the fourth page of posts, but I had to say something when I saw this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

"Oh, Maximus, wook at how sweaty and muscuwar you are. I just want to wub my hands all ovew you. But fewst I must pricky pricky prick you with my wittle poison bwade. And then I must mowest my nephew. Because I'm soooooooo eeeeeevil. Tee hee hee..."

Gladiator sucks. Hard. It should have won the Razzie in 2000, not the Oscar.

How freakin' dare you mock this movie. WHAT. Gladiator is one of my favorite movies of all time. I completely disagree that it deserves a Razzie (!!!).

But, your post made me laugh out loud so I had to reply. That's not a bad impression of that dilhole, actually....

Back on topic, it's definitely interesting that Giger is involved with the upcoming project.... Maybe he's tired of seeing it stray so far from his original art/idea and worries that they'll turn it into Big Bird by this point so he figures that he'd better step in? (Annnnd nevermind.... I just read a post by "thehun" here that the thing Giger was going to do, which isn't even the actual Alien, is no longer being used in the movie, so......bleh.)
post #235 of 2416 Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine_C View Post

I just read a post by "thehun" here that the thing Giger was going to do, which isn't even the actual Alien, is no longer being used in the movie, so......bleh.)

Jury's still out on Giger.
post #236 of 2416 Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 PM

http://www.slashfilm.com/damon-linde...d-alien-films/

Excerpt: It started as an Alien prequel. That is what everybody wanted it to be. Obviously, Ridley Scott has not made a science fiction movie in 25 years, since Blade Runner, so the idea that he’s returning to this genre is huge. But there is a real issue which is — what is the state of the Alien franchise at this point in our lives? There has been Alien vs. Predator and all these things, and its been completely and totally diluted. I’ve always felt that really good prequels should be original movies. And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don’t need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can’t guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability. So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be.

And there is a link to the full interview at the bottom.
post #237 of 2416 Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
"Oh, Maximus, wook at how sweaty and muscuwar you are. I just want to wub my hands all ovew you. But fewst I must pricky pricky prick you with my wittle poison bwade. And then I must mowest my nephew. Because I'm soooooooo eeeeeevil. Tee hee hee..."

Well it sucks according to you maybe. You know I watched Kubrick's Spartacus recently and there are laughable moments in that one too.

...The nephew what kind of argument is that? They just hint at the fact that Commodus and his sister are lovers, which was very common back then but you already know that. The nephew though excuse me but I fail to remember anything even remotely weird between Phoenix' character and the kid... The only moment they share together is when he tells him his little bee story... ...A razzie? come on...
post #238 of 2416 Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

That made me laugh. You really hit the nail on the head about that film.
post #239 of 2416 Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

http://www.slashfilm.com/damon-linde...d-alien-films/

Excerpt: It started as an Alien prequel. That is what everybody wanted it to be. Obviously, Ridley Scott has not made a science fiction movie in 25 years, since Blade Runner, so the idea that he's returning to this genre is huge. But there is a real issue which is what is the state of the Alien franchise at this point in our lives? There has been Alien vs. Predator and all these things, and its been completely and totally diluted. I've always felt that really good prequels should be original movies. And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, Luke, I am your father, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don't need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can't guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability. So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be.

And there is a link to the full interview at the bottom.

I really like they way this sounds! There should be an "Aha!" at the end of the movie of how the first Alien ties into this. It can be suble...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #240 of 2416 Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Wow! Just wow! I watched it on Sunday on my day off. Call me a sap but it's my "go to" movie when life gets tough and I want to take the easy way out approach. It's the whole "strength and honor" and doing the right thing no matter what that appeals to me. But I can see where YMMV.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com