Alien Prequel - Prometheus - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2401 of 2416 Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm hoping the sequal can salvage this. The cinematography was great but the story was terrible. It was a triple A movie that turned out to be B movie quality. The exact opposite of the original Alien sadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2416 Old 10-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patryn View Post
It was a triple A movie that turned out to be B movie quality.
Interesting concept of rating there.
post #2403 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post
Interesting concept of rating there.
You're much too polite cruiser. Triple A is what how it was received by the public, the B is one of the minority meaningless futile markdown Mr. "I want to be a hipster & not be like everyone else" attempted but is both wrong n confusing.

You don't have to like or support the epic great sci-fi film that it is, which is nothing wrong with that your opinion. But you're nuts if you think you can try to persuade everyone else that Ruth Chris steakhouse is not prime grade but usda select.

Nice try but don't confuse us with something that is objective the high quality production value vs the subjective that is ones opinion n perception.
post #2404 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Nicely summarized. I couldn't have done it better.
post #2405 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
You should say it one more time and see if that changes the opinion of the majority who have already approved this movie.
Ironic that you mock repetitive comments that you feel are a futile attempts to change someone else's opinion.

Plenty of opinions on every movie out there. Prometheus gets more intense response than most because of its Alien(s) heritage, its director and its beautiful imagery. Whether or not it delivered on all those promises is obviously the point of contention, but neither the supporters nor the critics are necessarily wrong.

But either group certainly doesn't stand a good chance of changing the others' minds. No matter how many times it makes the same argument.

post #2406 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
You're much too polite cruiser. Triple A is what how it was received by the public, the B is one of the minority meaningless futile markdown Mr. "I want to be a hipster & not be like everyone else" attempted but is both wrong n confusing.
OK then please let us know how you reached the conclusion that the public gave it an objective AAA rating.

The movie received 73% from critics at Rottentomatoes and 69% from viewers. Not bad but not stellar either. The public hasn't thrown huge approval ratings at it online.

It was the 24th highest grossing film of 2012, behind others such as The Lorax, 21 Jumpstreet, Hotel Transylvania and Taken 2. So the public didn't throw tons of money at it.

I'm genuinely open to your conclusion, but you hurt your chances to influence people when you mock them.

post #2407 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post
You do know Josh also went on record many years ago for hating and being highly critical of Forest Gump?
Yes, I dislike terrible movies. What's your point?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #2408 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post
Ironic that you mock repetitive comments that you feel are a futile attempts to change someone else's opinion.
You misinterpreted my post. I was not trying to change Josh Z's opinion about this movie. I was asking him to move on. Before that, I was calling out his mistakes on the details of the scenes he was criticizing about.
Quote:
Plenty of opinions on every movie out there. Prometheus gets more intense response than most because of its Alien(s) heritage, its director and its beautiful imagery. Whether or not it delivered on all those promises is obviously the point of contention, but neither the supporters nor the critics are necessarily wrong.
What do you think about the critics who's can't remember the details of the movie that they criticize?
Quote:
But either group certainly doesn't stand a good chance of changing the others' minds. No matter how many times it makes the same argument.
That's not what was really going on here.
post #2409 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
You misinterpreted my post. I was not trying to change Josh Z's opinion about this movie. I was asking him to move on. Before that, I was calling out his mistakes on the details of the scenes he was criticizing about.
Yes, that changes things somewhat. But I believe Josh has stated at least once or twice that he has hidden your posts from his view, so asking him to do anything probably won't be very productive. This thread had basically been dead for six months, and after someone came in with a critical comment/picture you blasted multiple quotes from Josh Z (not from this thread though). It seemed out of place but maybe it makes sense if we think of the two Prometheus threads as one. Perhaps they should be merged?

Quote:
What do you think about the critics who's can't remember the details of the movie that they criticize?
Sure, I'm open to challenging that type of critique. And I'm also leery of narrative gymnastics that reference two other versions of the script to make loose ends tie up neatly. In general I want the movie as presented to speak for itself and play fair with the world it builds, and the characters who inhabit it.

I can see how after reading plenty of other supplemental material (scripts, interviews, etc...) you can start to make a pretty cool story out of Prometheus. But others thought that with better editing and direction these supplements would have been unnecessary.

Last edited by RedLefty; 10-22-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #2410 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It was the 24th highest grossing film of 2012, behind others such as The Lorax, 21 Jumpstreet, Hotel Transylvania and Taken 2. So the public didn't throw tons of money at it.
If this domestic box office result is what you were looking at, out of those 24, 6 of them are R rated including this movie. Top 7 are all PG-13, 8 = PG, 9 = R (Ted), 10 = PG. Once you break down the ratings and genre, you see a different picture. Also, if you add the international box office, it shows a different result.
How Alien and Aliens did in the year they were released was also discussed already.
BTW, do you judge the quality of movie based on the box office receipts?
Quote:
I'm genuinely open to your conclusion, but you hurt your chances to influence people when you mock them.
Perhaps you should go to the beginning of this thread and (re)read because you will see a lots of mocking were already done and they weren't from who you think.
post #2411 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, that changes things somewhat. But I believe Josh has stated at least once or twice that he has hidden your posts from his view, so asking him to do anything probably won't be very productive. This thread had basically been dead for six months, and after someone came in with a critical comment/picture you blasted multiple quotes from Josh Z (not from this thread though).
You believe? Was it once or was it twice? Do you not remember the details of the exchanges that you are critiquing about?
Quote:
Sure, I'm open to challenging that type of critique. And I'm also leery of narrative gymnastics that reference two other versions of the script to make loose ends tie up neatly. In general I want the movie as presented to speak for itself and play fair with the world it builds, and the characters who inhabit it.

I can see how after reading plenty of other supplemental material (scripts, interviews, etc...) you can start to make a pretty cool story out of Prometheus. But others thought that with better editing and direction these supplements would have been unnecessary.
Looks like you aren't familiar with what really went on on this thread. It would be beneficial for you to get yourself familiarized with it first if you want to debate about it.
post #2412 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
You believe? Was it once or was it twice? Do you not remember the details of the exchanges that you are critiquing about?
So predictable
post #2413 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1
Curious how they would handle a prequel. Sure does make me unsure as to how good it will be, though.

Probably trash like all things done now SB1 .. I wouldnt see this!!!

Alien 1-4 is excellent!!!!!
post #2414 of 2416 Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post
It's been 5 days since this. Have you watched this movie again to prepare yourself better so that you don't fumble your debate again?
post #2415 of 2416 Old 10-23-2014, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
It's been 5 days since this. Have you watched this movie again to prepare yourself better so that you don't fumble your debate again?
See paragraph 3.
post #2416 of 2416 Old 10-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post
It's been a while since I've seen it so I don't remember what was being said but I believe that you had nothing to discuss about the movie at that time and that was your attempt to troll. Even if I'm wrong about that paragraph, I don't care because my opinion counts more than yours so I won't move on. So, there it is.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Alien Blu Ray , Prometheus , Blu Ray Movies , Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Alien by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page