AVS Forum banner
142K views 2K replies 190 participants last post by  bcruiser 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Curious how they would handle a prequel. Sure does make me unsure as to how good it will be, though. The alien was first discovered in the original movie, and a prequel to that reeks of AVP potential IMO.

Plus, where's the original ideas from Hollywood lately? Have we finally run out of new movie material?

#4 ·
I'm very curious as well. Aside from Alien & Aliens, the franchise has been junk for the most part. How the ship got to LV426 could be interesting though - or where the Alien originates from?

It all depends on what they are willing to sink into this film in terms of creativity. Just slapping the Alien tag on it isn't going to do it anymore.

I agree on the remakes. It's getting old (though I really enjoyed the Batman movies and the new Star Trek).

Robocop and Total Recall remakes is somewhat absurd (IMO).

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/16661458

Plus, where's the original ideas from Hollywood lately? Have we finally run out of new movie material?

New ideas are stuck in development hell or hacked up & rewritten to appease studio exec's desire for mass audience appeal, not to mention profits, whether real or "creatively accounted" for.

I'd like to see a trailer in order to come to a more definitive decision on whether to see this or not. Still, an Alien prequel? I'm iffy on it for now, leaning towards NO.

#6 ·
It would be interesting to see what they do with this. There are almost litmitless palces they could take it and make an even better movie than the original. There are lots of unanswered questions and unexplored areas, so I'm extremely anxious to see how it turns out.

Having said that......it will probably be @ss.

#7 ·
I like all of the "Alien" Series....actually like 3 (Director's cut) better than Aliens, but I know...that's blasphemy in most circles.

I do pretend AVP and AVP2 just don't exist. Shame that such a promising potential turned out so crappy not once, but twice.

Interested to see what the crank out for a prequel, but I don't have high hopes. Would be nice to see them get the series back on track, and I hope they don't go down some stupid road (like the Alien was created by humans or something equally stupid) with it.

#8 ·
It was suppose to be a remake but enough people screamed bloody murder they changed it to a prequel from what I understand.

So yes been watching this with interest. Ridley Scott doing the prequel and no humans would rock. An alien origins if you will. We know there are predators in the same universe now to expand it.

#9 ·
I saw the remake rumors as well. I don't know how they could you consider remaking a movie that is one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. CGI couldn't add much to the original Alien movie. It still holds up now.

I can understand why Fox is hesitant with Carl Rinsch though; his credits are Saturn commercials. I hope they can convince Scott to sign on as the director and not just a producer. I'd rather wait until 2020 for a legitimate prequel then to see them butcher the franchise any further.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/16662157

I like all of the "Alien" Series....actually like 3 (Director's cut) better than Aliens, but I know...that's blasphemy in most circles.

I do pretend AVP and AVP2 just don't exist. Shame that such a promising potential turned out so crappy not once, but twice.

Interested to see what the crank out for a prequel, but I don't have high hopes. Would be nice to see them get the series back on track, and I hope they don't go down some stupid road (like the Alien was created by humans or something equally stupid) with it.

I loved Alien 3, especially the director's cut. Better than Alien....don't know about that one, but a case can be made actually.

#13 ·
I like Alien the best. Don't get me wrong, Aliens has lots of action and is fun, but I feel the original was scarier and more polished. Cameron did a great job, but Alien is the one I watch at least once a year.

Plus, I was watching Aliens last night for the first time in a couple years, and I was surprised that it had a lot of cheesy lines, although better than most movies of that era (Hudson's "Game over, man, game over!" still cracks me up.)

Alien3 has a somber quality I like, although I think it was kind of dull.

Resurrection just felt lame, especially if it's supposed to be the "end" of the whole saga. It felt like they wanted to "reboot" the ending to it at least after Alien3, but it was a letdown. (Which, BTW, I'm glad they're not going to reboot/remake the whole Alien series. I feel it still holds up today.)

The AvPs felt like a good idea, but I think their execution sucked on both. I'd rather have seen them do something set after Resurrection and go balls out.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/16662157

I actually like 3 (Director's cut) better than Aliens, but I know...that's blasphemy in most circles.
At the very least: blasphemy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/16665355

I'd rather have seen them do something set after Resurrection and go balls out.

Agreed..."Ripley" returned to Earth (as Ron Perlman said, "Earth? That ****hole?").

#15 ·
The origins is a great idea, I just don't know how it will be done, since no human ever met them before the Nostromo, or is there? It would have to feature all or mostly "alien" creatures as primary characters, like the giant one on the derelict ship on LV426 but would that work for the general audiences? I guess the company [Weilan-Yutani] could have knowledge of the Aliens, and may have dispatched another ship to investigate before the Nostromo was called in, and follow their story? Who know what the Scott brothers will come up with. Anything but to continue with "Resurection's" lame brain ideas.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16666401

The comic happens to be really good (or would you rather a Batman versus Predator movie?
).

Batman vs. Predator? I can imagine how that would pan out:

Predators show up on Earth. Bale gives his best one-liner in a gutteral tone that makes it seem as though he's beyond constipated and, in response, an eromous horde of Predators either run back to their home planet, screaming like a bunch of sissies or go down with one punch that looks so timid that it couldn't drop a butterfly. Might as well be Batman vs. Richard Simmons, the way the latest BM films have panned out. Nothing beats a dark, shaky camera for obscuring the audience from pathetically weak "fight" scenes. I'll pass.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/16665966

The origins is a great idea, I just don't know how it will be done, since no human ever met them before the Nostromo, or is there? It would have to feature all or mostly "alien" creatures as primary characters, like the giant one on the derelict ship on LV426 but would that work for the general audiences? I guess the company [Weilan-Yutani] could have knowledge of the Aliens, and may have dispatched another ship to investigate before the Nostromo was called in, and follow their story? Who know what the Scott brothers will come up with. Anything but to continue with "Resurection's" lame brain ideas.

That's the same concerns I have. They could really do something great with this, but the movie industry's latest offerings just don't inspire too much hope.

With regards to the comics and movies, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Superman vs Predator vs Batman vs Alien.

Superman flies here from a suddenly unexploded Krypton. A Predator is ejecting from his ship to land on earth, Superman accidentally runs into him. They plummet to earth embraced in a death fall that leads them to......

Cut to Wayne Manor. Bruce is having tea with a suprisingly tame Alien. They've reconciled their differences and have vowed to fight crime together. Bruce walks over to the Alien, and they lock hands in a "We'll do this together!" embrace (camera zooms in on hands).

At that moment, Superman and the Predator land on Wayne Manor. They crash into the table where Bruce and the Alien were having their man moment. A piece of the crashing table knocks Bruces tea out of his hand and onto the Alien.

In the Alien culture, having tea spilled on you is the worst offense that can be committed.

(Camera pulls back to show all four characters)

They all stand in the middle of the dining room, eyes locked on one another, fists clinched.

(Camera zooms in on all four sets of eyes, one after another)

All of them are waiting for someone to make the first move. Now, here is where the drama in our action movie takes place. Bruce doesn't have his Batsuit on. He's still only Bruce Wayne.

(Camera cuts to the other three characters, showing that they've realized this)

The Alien is closest, and reaches over to rip Bruces head off. Next, in an attempt to piss Matt Stevens off, they only show a drop of blood and keep the PG13 rating, not daring to step into R territory for lack of ticket sales.

Superman takes offense to the atrocity committed against his fellow crime fighter, and squashes the Alien. The Aliens blood spatters all over the Predator, killing him. Superman wins. He flies to Metropogotham and fights crime.

Cut back to Bruces house. Movement is seen from the Predator. Suddenly, a baby Predator appears from it's stomach, wearing a blue spandex suit and red cape. Que rock and roll music for credits.

Damn, I'm bored at work today.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/16665966

It would be easy to say humans actually did encounter the aliens before Alien. I'm sure there have been ships gone missing that no one has ever solved the mystery as to why.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud /forum/post/16669817

It would be easy to say humans actually did encounter the aliens before Alien. I'm sure there have been ships gone missing that no one has ever solved the mystery as to why.

Right but that would make it a "remake" not a prequel. Scott did mention in his commentary on Alien that he was interested to explore the origins of the Alien life-form, like where it is come from ETC, but he said nothing of an earlier encounter with humans, which is really just a same old story, that we saw several times by now.

#26 ·
Speaking of Predator, Robert Rodriquez is quoted in the July issue of Sci-Fi magazine he is developing a sequel, to be entitled "Predators" (like Cameron's Aliens).

The story will take place on the Predator Planet in a jungle environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.